What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reminders of your childhood

thorson1987

Coach
Trying to walk through the mall after footy on Saturday mornings whilst wearing my boots with metal studs.

Was like ice skating.

Iafeta

Referee
A pie, a donut, and a glass bottle of coke for $1.40. Good times in very small town Nz.

Waiting for the old lady to turn up to pick me up from hockey or soccer ...

Playing aforementioned sports early on a Saturday morning often on frost bitten grounds.

The feel of the mouth guard in your mouth

Not being able to find my chin guards for soccer, so grabbing cardboard and putting it under my socks. And scoring a goal like a boss.

SEGA Master system. Alex the Kidd etc and then Sonic.

Star Wars trading cards.

I remember at intermediate they got this CD called Encarta and being blown away.

Late teenage years getting dial up internet. $40 a month with ridiculously poor amounts of data. The noise it would make as you dialled up. And then getting chewed out by my Grandad for tying up the phone line. Trying to download images off Altavista or Lycos or off a Geocities site and it taking forever for the image to load.

Remember bubble gum used to come with trading cards. They were like RL Stine Goosebump cards or something.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Shops closing at 12pm on Saturday and being closed all day Sunday.

The good old corner store, where I lived in Paddington we had 3 shops in the block, none exist now although I think one is operating as a small cafe. When we moved to Kingsford there were two shops just around the corner and a butcher, the butcher closed about a year after we moved there but the corner stores were still there when I moved out of home, neither of the stores exist today though.

Headless Chook

Juniors
Not quite from my childhood, but in my late 20’s my staple on a Friday night was a take away pizza from a proper Italian joint, a bottle of Tyrells Long Flat red and packet of Winfield blues which cost me less than a $20.

I’d get home just in time to watch the footy, finishing up on the lounge at 3 in the morning with Rage blaring. Good times.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Remember the Super flying fun show on Channel 9

With Marilyn Mayo as Miss Marilyn and Rod Hull as Clotty and also Rod Hull with Emu then Marty Morton later on with Emu. There was Miss Marilyns wheel and I remember when she would do the weather forecast by licking her finger and sticking it out a pretend window to see what the weather was like. Have tried for ages to find footage on you tube with Miss Marilyn on the show but there is nothing.

Parra

Referee
With Marilyn Mayo as Miss Marilyn and Rod Hull as Clotty and also Rod Hull with Emu then Marty Morton later on with Emu. There was Miss Marilyns wheel and I remember when she would do the weather forecast by licking her finger and sticking it out a pretend window to see what the weather was like. Have tried for ages to find footage on you tube with Miss Marilyn on the show but there is nothing.

Here you go - even includes Mr Gaspo