What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reminders of your childhood

View attachment 40232
We had to embark on a ship once going os for a year and the bloody thing opened right on cue. Years later in the early 90’s I broke down on the temporary roads around the Anzac. Actually had to stop in the Anzac bridge bay overheating for awhile this year.

I used to walk that bridge to n from work for the last 6 years before I left Pyrmont for Adelaide.

Got caught many a time when it opened up.. mainly on weekends.

And in summer - brutally hot - everyone would walk under the shadow of the old monorail track. But if it was wet, you needed to stay well away as when the monorail car would come overhead, you’d get sprayed. Good times.

axl rose

Bench

giphy.gif

haha IMDB says it ran for 4 seasons, could have sworn it got shit canned after 1. Maybe im not giving it enough credit..

Every 90s promo ever always had to say double the laughs, even when it was Australia's Most Wanted

I want that Phillips Genie!

4 seasons?? Yeah I would have thought 4 episodes...

How goods that promo! And how bad is the acting.... Roger Clmpson is a blast from the past...

horrie hastings

First Grade
Catch Kandy, a series set in Sydney in the early 70s where are brother and sister are on the run thinking the boy had killed his uncle who slipped on his roller skate, they camp out in the bush near Taronga Zoo and are befriended by a person living a cave around the area who looks after them while they are on the run. You have to go to the link on you tube to watch it.

7831B282-8CDA-4FF5-9170-3A3F6DA60EF9.jpeg 84EAAB78-C9E6-4920-AECF-1BD553757B67.jpeg

Just looking at the Hoadleys bag, say, pollywaffle, in today’s cash $3.30- 1971.

Looking at today’s cheapo bags, $4.00 minimum.

A friend looked into them once, you had to tender to get a stand, so basically the landlord rips you off hard before you sell a single whistly pop.

That’s why many of the bags are such a joke these days.

10c frog and a few bits of plastic for $20.00. After rent, insurance and staff etc, it’s not so great a return for effort.

I’d go to pat the best cow in Australia, but that’s about it.

Look how bloody happy the family look though. Try getting that these days?!

Last edited:
3179CF7F-4545-4FE5-B385-B4FB349C242B.jpeg
Easter show obs:

The dad is wearing a contemporary 3 piece suit for its day and matching belt and tie. No doubt clean and freshly polished leather shoes. Style cut.

Every chance his enjoys his league, I’d say he was/is a bears supporter.

If old mate wore this stuff today, he’d be approached by some overweight pink haired tattooed transpecies gimp mistress who’d want to shirtfront him for oppressing his wife and gender stereotyping the kids.

one for @stryker.

horrie hastings

First Grade
View attachment 40253 View attachment 40252

Just looking at the Hoadleys bag, say, pollywaffle, in today’s cash $3.30- 1971.

Looking at today’s cheapo bags, $4.00 minimum.

A friend looked into them once, you had to tender to get a stand, so basically the landlord rips you off hard before you sell a single whistly pop.

That’s why many of the bags are such a joke these days.

10c frog and a few bits of plastic for $20.00. After rent, insurance and staff etc, it’s not so great a return for effort.

I’d go to pat the best cow in Australia, but that’s about it.

Look how bloody happy the family look though. Try getting that these days?!

Growing up in Paddington we lived a block away from the showground and with my father working for the PMG at the time and fixing the public phones there we were at the show every second night that was in the late 60s and 1970. I always wanted the Daffodil Peanut Butter showbag which wasnt in the main showbag hall and also would get the Nestles Yogi Bar/ Nutty Snap showbag , also coming in through the Paddington entrance the wood chop arena was there and i used to love sitting there watching the woodchoppers compete , other memories of there at the time i remember when they built the chairlift which i wouldnt go on at the time but grew to like it in later years, loved the model railway in the Government Pavilion and also going into the big fridge displays of meat inside the Dome as my father knew one of the distributors from Anderson's meat and small goods. I used to be terrified of the fire works display then because of the noise they made although i did like watching them from our house because we were far enough away and i felt safe. Ridewise i used to like mainly going on the ghost train and also the beautiful carousel/ merry go round that was at the Paddington entrance . Once we moved from Paddington to Kingsford we still went to the show but getting older the priorities changed but i still have very fond memories of the years growing up next door to the showground , apart from the show i can still remember hearing the noise from the show ground speedway at night also, great memories of growing up in Paddington but then hating it when moving to Kingsford.

Last edited:
This is one for the threads true believers.

Behold the Chinese Australian Take Away at East Parade in Sutherland Shire pictured below:

274540FF-ACC4-42A3-B94E-D575E2B60492.jpeg

And it’s a thing of great beauty.

This is because the Burger recipe, chips and your classic Aussie side of the equation, are stuck in a culinary time warp.

That is to say, the style, flavour and a lot of the menu hark back to the 1970s. A nod to flares, Sandman’s and Boney M.

The standard burger is a proper two hander one, the chips fat and never dry, never greasy.
Salt and vinegar etc.

When I am out there for work, I never miss a visit. Me and the shire tradies wait patiently for chef and his wife to ply their take away craft. Cash only ( bankcard not accepted) Check opening hours.

I appreciate that visiting the shire these days is onerous and troubled. That the folk are not as sophisticated, cosmopolitan or worldly as the rest of us, but it’s worth the risk.

I know this thread is popular with youngsters and kids, this is how excellent local food was back in the day.

There’s my great business idea folks. 1970s themed take away shops. It would make a killing. No seats, nothing remotely new age. Lentil, bagel and decaf free zone.

Never trust a card only small business.

FBE2249F-A757-4FB2-8491-F3C74ED5264C.jpeg

I think this place should be heritage listed. A site of cultural significance.

The staff might need to be less friendly and a lot more lethargic to capture the authentic 1970s experience, but you can’t have it all.

Last edited:

horrie hastings

First Grade
This is one for the threads true believers.

Behold the Chinese Australian Take Away at East Parade in Sutherland Shire pictured below:

View attachment 40449

And it’s a thing of great beauty.

This is because the Burger recipe, chips and your classic Aussie side of the equation, are stuck in a culinary time warp.

That is to say, the style, flavour and a lot of the menu hark back to the 1970s. A nod to flares, Sandman’s and Boney M.

The standard burger is a proper two hander one, the chips fat and never dry, never greasy.
Salt and vinegar etc.

When I am out there for work, I never miss a visit. Me and the shire tradies wait patiently for chef and his wife to ply their take away craft. Cash only ( bankcard not accepted) Check opening hours.

I appreciate that visiting the shire these days is onerous and troubled. That the folk are not as sophisticated, cosmopolitan or worldly as the rest of us, but it’s worth the risk.

I know this thread is popular with youngsters and kids, this is how excellent local food was back in the day.

There’s my great business idea folks. 1970s themed take away shops. It would make a killing. No seats, nothing remotely new age. Lentil, bagel and decaf free zone.

Never trust a card only small business.

View attachment 40450

I think this place should be heritage listed. A site of cultural significance.

The staff might need to be less friendly and a lot more lethargic to capture the authentic 1970s experience, but you can’t have it all.

I notice the sign says freshly cut chips, i love places that make there own chips, i remember growing up all the fish and chip shops used to peel and cut their own potatoes for the chips and potato scallops, at times you could see them peeling and cutting the spuds behind the counter, then sometime probably in the very early 70s the frozen crinkle cut chips came out and a lot of takeaway started using those.
Not that i'm ever in Sutherland much but if i'm there anytime in the new future i will check it out, every now and then i get a craving for a battered sav, usually regret it later but love it at the time.
Hmmm just for a time warp dinner, fish cocktails then beef in black bean sauce.
Actually looked at their Chinese menu and it looks quite good but would like to try some of their fried delights and burgers also.

Latest posts