What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retire the Alternative Strip

Southernsaint

Staff member
First jersey was a Knights jersey. And what does it matter what decision a 3 year old makes, fact is I've stood by them for the following 18 years.

Im pretty sure there are plenty of Dragons fans from outside Kogarah...

What's the hardest part about owning a Knights jersey??

Willow

Assistant Moderator
First jersey was a Knights jersey. And what does it matter what decision a 3 year old makes, fact is I've stood by them for the following 18 years.

Im pretty sure there are plenty of Dragons fans from outside Kogarah...
Dude, you're not a Dragons supporter. Stop crapping on.

KiamaSaint

Coach
I was there...but apparently ive never supported them...

Also the Steelers crowds were not much worse the Dragons in the late 90's.

The truth seems to hurt you Willow.

Simple question, do you think the Dragons would have won the 2010 grand final without the joint venture? would they have had the success they did in 1999 and throughout the past decade? personally I think not, and the premiership drought would still be rivaling Souths and Cronulla. You seem to have a hard time accepting the Illawarra side of the merger, but truth is they make up 50% of the club you support, and will continue to be in the future.

Another quick question, have you spent much time in the Illawarra region?

I have and I will say it again, RED V is a part of ME. If you want to support Knights that's you choice, pretty sure there is a forum for you over there.

Bingerz

Juniors
To elaborate, I was there at just about every home game, played League in the Illawarra comp, and still coach in that comp. I am a Steelers club member, i was there watching the Dragons tonight...is that what you were inquiring about?

I don't care who someone supports, but if they prove my point i will naturally highlight it. Spend some time down here, you will see what i am talking about is right. If i use the friends i am still in contact with from school and footy as an example, only a couple of them support the Dragons. I know many more Dragons supporters now from other travels throughout my life, but a lot of people down here stopped supporting the local side when this happened and have continued to support other teams.

All i can report is my dealings through a fairly large cross-sectional area that i come across through coaching etc. You can deny it all you like but that is what i have witnessed.

Yet again...i repeat my original argument that the Illawarra style of jersey is very helpful in bringing people back to the fore.

Southernsaint

Staff member
To elaborate, I was there at just about every home game, played League in the Illawarra comp, and still coach in that comp. I am a Steelers club member, i was there watching the Dragons tonight...is that what you were inquiring about?

I don't care who someone supports, but if they prove my point i will naturally highlight it. Spend some time down here, you will see what i am talking about is right. If i use the friends i am still in contact with from school and footy as an example, only a couple of them support the Dragons. I know many more Dragons supporters now from other travels throughout my life, but a lot of people down here stopped supporting the local side when this happened and have continued to support other teams.

All i can report is my dealings through a fairly large cross-sectional area that i come across through coaching etc. You can deny it all you like but that is what i have witnessed.

Yet again...i repeat my original argument that the Illawarra style of jersey is very helpful in bringing people back to the fore.

Bingerz, if your friends and everyone else in the 'Gong doesn't want to support Saints then we'll gladly take those home games back to Jubilee!!

jonno_knights

Juniors
“I’ve got four kids that are all Dragons fans but my oldest was only five when I retired and they don’t really remember the Steelers, which for me is a bit unfortunate,” Wishart told NRL.com. “When you look at St George Illawarra these days you don’t really see anything of the Steelers.

I guess Wishart is trolling too...

Willow

Assistant Moderator
You seem to take a lot of stock in where you live. So you don't support your local team, go figure.

But again, I wasn't talking to you troll. I was talking to the other troll.

Are you two sock puppets?

KiamaSaint

Coach

Haven't you check lately champ, over 20,000 members, we don't need them. Now pack you bat and ball and go home. You don't speak on behalf of the Illawarra, only those that thought it was a good idea back in 1982 (or whatever year it was) for the Steelers to enter the comp .

KiamaSaint

Coach
For the record, if your mates were so upset, why didn't they start a "SOS - save our steelers" and stop the merger? All this angst about how it is a "takeover", well let me tell you when the Roosters tried to do that to the Dragons we stopped it happening.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
As i said, i can only report what i have come across
As a development officer, or an assistant development officer?

Not having a go at anyone's profession or pastimne or volunteer work, each to their own and good luck. But you keep on using it as a way to push your anti-St George agenda in this forum.

FTR, we had a Sharks supporter on here a few years ago, he was a development officer in the Illawarra. He misused his position to try and create division in the JV in this forum, he kept on about how important his position was etc.

Fact is, lots of people give up their free time to promote rugby league, including many people you are debating with in this thread. But it makes no one more important than the next guy.

Bingerz

Juniors
No, that's not the case. I am a dragons supporter but I'm calling it as I see it. Think about how much u guys would go off if I was to come on here and say retire the red v because they lost in it tonight. Of course that would be insulting, just as it is the other way around

St_Jubbsy

Staff member
Bingerz, thanks for the feedback. Your focus group results weren't required though as we already knew that a fair proportion of "supporters" from the Illawarra are apathetic.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
No, that's not the case. I am a dragons supporter but I'm calling it as I see it. Think about how much u guys would go off if I was to come on here and say retire the red v because they lost in it tonight. Of course that would be insulting, just as it is the other way around
No, it would be just be silly and laughed off. Just as this thread was, until you found a way to get insulted.

But by all means feel free to give it a shot. Always good to have a chuckle.

RedVee

First Grade
How about the Steelers juniors wear the scarlet, and the Dragons juniors wear the Red-V. Then we will see who brought what to the JV. Even if the imports wore the Red-V they'd have trouble outnumbering the Illawarra Guys. And didnt WIN TV erase most of the debt anyway to STG anyway?

Yes, true.

For the cost of reducing Illawarras share of the JV to 25% and the ownership of the Steelers Leagues Club premises. They now rent the air within the club and have a large reduction in assets.

Before you attack me on not being from the Illawarra, I'll point out that I attend all the WIN homegames as a season ticket holder and joined the Steelers Club to offer a little support. I took an interest in the Illawarra club as an alternate when they came in after the Jets went out.

moik

Bench
Think about how much u guys would go off if I was to come on here and say retire the red v because they lost in it tonight. Of course that would be insulting, just as it is the other way around
Well said.

Bingerz, thanks for the feedback. Your focus group results weren't required though as we already knew that a fair proportion of "supporters" from the Illawarra are apathetic.
A bit harsh.

I was down Wollongong way for the grand final last year. The place was going nuts over the Dragons. I caught one of the many trains transporting thousands of these apathetic supporters to Homebush. The day after the gf the Wollongong Entertainment Centre was packed to capacity to see the boys with the trophy. And WIN gets bigger crowds than Kogarah.

I supported the Steelers for their 16 years and quite happily switched to the Dragons. I don't like the 'us' and 'them' mentality. I support the St George Illawarra Dragons.

Threads like this are divisive.

Latest posts