What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

REUBEN GARRICK

Garrick had a big game today. He has a great build for a winger or centre. I think he will have a long career in first grade. He is definitely a lose. When he was given a chance in the trials last year, he didn't impress. Others on this site said that his defence wasn't up to first grade. He is a great example of someone given a shot and taking it
One trial game is hardly enough to judge potential.
These young guys also have to be mentored and coached.
We are just not capable of that.
I also agree (as stated many times) that Garrick is a big loss and much better than all 4 of our current wingers (Pearson, Periera, Ravalawa and Maranta)

possm

Coach
Everyone might agree with you but whoever retains, recruits, identifies the players we develop have no freakin idea. Bring back Frank Facer and was it Max Ninness. We have clowns and idiots give me a job.
Here's what you do check out if they can play, can they run fast, are they idiots, are they big, do they like soccer or basketball or league, check out the D NA of mum and dad. How bloody had must it be just look out the Cc and the other one Jersey Flegg.
The Illawarra old boys are in control while the St George old boys just put the heads in the trough and follow their lead. Sometimes it seems as nothing at SGI is being done right. We DESPERATELY need a clean out and soon.

possm

Coach
Fast forward to today and Periera is in reserve grade and Pearson has been unsighted last two games.
Garrick on the other hand continues to thrive and improve under Hasler.
The coaching staff, the recruitment/pathways and retention staff, the CEO and the Board members all have their nose in the trough and all should be gone. I can't think of any one of them that should be retained however, of course with the del done with WIN Corp, we are stuck with honouring deals probably for the next 5 years.

So what do I thing is happening, well while ever SGI exists these old boys a milking the joint for whatever they can get via backroom deals. In the end their personal wealth will be beyond what they ever thought they could get and sadly SGI will fail and be relocated to Wollongong.

• Illawarra will be happy because they will control SGI
  • South Sydney, Canterbury and Cronulla will be happy because the St George junior system will be divvied up between them.
  • The NRL will be happy because they have one less team in Sydney - their long term aim is to have even less teams in Sydney and more licences throughout Australia.
So who should we blame for the mess, the blame should fall on one individual who had control for many years and who over saw the demise of St George Leagues Club, our system of recruitment/pathways/retention and the appoint of the most distructive and incompetent head coach, Mary. Yes you guessed it Mr Peter Dust who still retains the job of CEO of St George Leagues Club.

Walpole

Juniors
Garrick is playing under a real coach and has Tommy Turbo putting him over in the corner.

If he was playing in our current setup he wouldn't stand out any more than what we have.

Improving our team does not start with the wingers.

giboz71

First Grade
Garrick is just another example of a young player with who under a good coach, can develop into a solid FG player. We have a whole host of those types of guys who have the same potential. Dufty, Field, Host, Luc, Host, Lawrie etc. Herbert and Sele before they left.

The blueprint was always there for these sorts of guys to succeed. But with Mary, Hornby and Young as their mentors, they just stand still or even go backwards.

Garrick under Hasler is an example of what a change of coach can do. He's no world beater, but he's a much better player now than what he would have been here under Mary.

possm

Coach
The coaching staff, the recruitment/pathways and retention staff, the CEO and the Board members all have their nose in the trough and all should be gone. I can't think of any one of them that should be retained however, of course with the del done with WIN Corp, we are stuck with honouring deals probably for the next 5 years.

So what do I think is happening, well while ever SGI exists these old boys would like to continue milking the joint for whatever they can get via backroom deals. In the end their personal wealth will be beyond what they ever thought they could get and sadly SGI will fail and be relocated to Wollongong.

• Illawarra will be happy because they will control SGI
  • South Sydney, Canterbury and Cronulla will be happy because the St George junior system will be divvied up between them.
  • The NRL will be happy because they have one less team in Sydney - their long term aim is to have even less teams in Sydney and more licences throughout Australia.
So who should we blame for the mess, the blame should fall on one individual who had control for many years and who over saw the demise of St George Leagues Club, our system of recruitment/pathways/retention and the appoint of the most distructive and incompetent head coach, Mary. Yes you guessed it Mr Peter Doust who still retains the job of CEO of St George Leagues Club.

Last edited:
JP is injured but agree re Pearson .
I thought he would be the best of the lot by now but I was wrong.
I do like Rav though
Sorry, I was not quite accurate about Periera but he was dropped to reserve grade before he got injured.
Pearson has been disappointing in my view.
Rava, maybe centre would be a better fit.
Won't have to deal with the high ball and we know he can ball play given the chance.

SaintPauli

Juniors
Resulting in the demise of the greatest rugby leaugue club in the world.

Souths battled and won. I hope if we go down this possible path the dragons fans battle the NRL.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Resulting in the demise of the greatest rugby leaugue club in the world.

Souths battled and won. I hope if we go down this possible path the dragons fans battle the NRL.
Ruben Garrick leaving results in the Dragons demise??

Either you’re a massive drama queen or you’ve posted in the wrong thread..