What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Revenue for NRL Clubs (2018-2021)

beave

Coach
The ARLC should set some standards so that we can move out of dumps like Brookvale. The Cowboys were forced to fund a better quality stadium in 1995 than the dump Manly has played out of for decades. That's the sort of favouritism that created the perfect scenario for the Super League war.

If we want clubs like Manly to grow their revenue from sponsorship and corporate hospitality then they'll need to abandon Brookvale and split their games between Central Coast Stadium and SFS.

If they can get the funding do up the other 3 sides at Brooky, I think that is their best option moving forward. Unfortunately Manly and its surrounds are in their own awkward pocket geography wise. When I lived at Rouse Hill in the late 90's/early 2K's when NQ played Manly at Brooky it was horses ass to get to as there is only 2 ways into the area either via Warringah Rd or the Spit Bridge.

A 20k all seater would be perfect for the area IMO

If they can get the funding do up the other 3 sides at Brooky, I think that is their best option moving forward. Unfortunately Manly and its surrounds are in their own awkward pocket geography wise. When I lived at Rouse Hill in the late 90's/early 2K's when NQ played Manly at Brooky it was horses ass to get to as there is only 2 ways into the area either via Warringah Rd or the Spit Bridge.

A 20k all seater would be perfect for the area IMO
If the eastern side can get a grandstand then it won't be so bad. Whether they can afford it is another question.

siv

First Grade
If the eastern side can get a grandstand then it won't be so bad. Whether they can afford it is another question.
Brookvale needs a rebuild of the Western and Southern grandstands

I also dont like the modern practice of putting up barriers on hills which block views and reduce capacity

If that was the case, then the presented business case was flawed and they should not have admitted in 95
I agree. Arthurson made a huge mistake in adding four teams at once. I'm grateful we were added to the competition, but it should have been done at a later date. The game wasn't ready to expand in 1995 as the broadcast revenue was just $10m per annum and the contract wasn't up for renewal until 2000.

Brookvale needs a rebuild of the Western and Southern grandstands

I also dont like the modern practice of putting up barriers on hills which block views and reduce capacity
All of that is true, but where is the money going to come from to fund it?

The most realistic solution is to play 6 games at Central Coast Stadium and the other 5 at SFS, with an annual game against Broncos at Lang Park during Magic Round. Out of town teams like Cowboys, Titans, Raiders, Warriors, Dolphins, Storm, Panthers, Sharks and Knights would be ideal for CCS. Eels, Dragons, Roosters, Rabbitohs, Tigers and Bulldogs would be ideal for SFS.

Canard

Immortal
Have you read Neil Cadigan's book on the Cowboys?

I provided some excerpts from it here.

Cowboys were only able to pay their players until June or July. Without Super League they would have folded. The one thing in their favour is their sponsorship and corporate hospitality was always amongst the best in the league, even back in the 1990s. For that reason News Ltd kept them around.

Sir Joh didn't ban pokies. He just didn't pass legislation to allow them into licenced venues.

NSW was the only state in Australia to allow gaming machines into licenced venues between 1956 and 1991.

Queensland and Victoria legalised gaming machines in licenced venues in 1991. South Australia and Tasmania followed suit in the late 90s. Western Australia still prohibits their use in licenced venues.

BRL clubs went bankrupt trying to hold onto their players. I'll never forgive the NSWRL clubs for taking advtange of the gaming machine revenue that was only available to them. It's stupid how NSWRL fans say it's Queensland's fault. They ignore the fact their state was the only one in all of Australia to allow this form of gambling to ruin lives. The NSWRL clubs killed a great competition and then treated the Broncos like second class citizens. It was always going to lead to a rebellion, but the sooks down south are too stupid and selfish to sit back and reflect on their role in the Super League War. The big sooks still run around pretending to be victims.

Instead of hating the Broncos you should view them as brothers fighting against the corrupt cabal of the NSWRL.

Cowboys will always be my favourite club, but I've adopted the Broncos as my second team. It's us versus the mongrels from down south.

Yes after 27 years, I'll suddenly become a Broncos fan.

You understand nothing about North Queenslanders if you think that we will suddenly be big fans of our No1 rival.

As for the BRL players that went to Sydney for more money, what would you have them do??? Not go and stay in Brisbane for the romance of it?

Not sure why you are upset about that

MugaB

Coach

You understand nothing about North Queenslanders if you think that we will suddenly be big fans of our No1 rival.

As for the BRL players that went to Sydney for more money, what would you have them do??? Not go and stay in Brisbane for the romance of it?

Its coz NSWRL pokie funded machinations, that killed his beloved nearby Logan Scorpions... dont you get it... ....you can all get fkd for ruining my C-Grade BRL side, all the Sydney clubs, Broncos..everyone can merge and get culled, and it can be Cowboys V Storm every round

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
Tiger can be adopted by any new expansion side and it will be really popular

that way we get two foundation clubs back
The Tigers merger is more likely to revert back to the Western Suburbs Magpies than relocate anywhere.

Kind of makes sense for them to base themselves in Campbelltown full time.

Leichhardt hasn't been a league hotbed for years.

Wb1234

Immortal
Yeah the only things that kept the club alive was News and the fans.

How the f**k we average over 20k in those first 3 years is a testament to the support of RL in NQ. God knows the absolute geniuses that ran the joint in the first 6 years should have been run out of town and never allowed back. Some of the stories i've heard from those within the clubs inner sanctum once Boustead quit and few others were put in control would make your blood boil. Frank Stanton, Peter Parr and Graham Murray turned the ship around.
The Tigers merger is more likely to revert back to the Western Suburbs Magpies than relocate anywhere.

Kind of makes sense for them to base themselves in Campbelltown full time.

Leichhardt hasn't been a league hotbed for years.
Which leaves the tigers brand to be adopted elsewhere.

siv

First Grade
but where is the money going to come from to fund it?
Local council and government.

Manly is as much part of the CC as Manly is to Bondi. Both sides have major harbours and no rail or roads connectivity. Even middle harbour breaks the Peninsula from the rest of Sydney

The trick is to do upgrades in stages at Brooky. The next upgrade should be the Western Grandstand. Its been untouched for almost 50y

Canard

Immortal
The Cowboys had a pretty shit deal, but the stadium was not one of them.

They had to build something, and the original Willows (Stockland Stadium) wasn't much chop, and hardly better then most Sydney teams grounds.

That condition was hardly some onerous entry requirement.

Wb1234

Immortal

Manly is as much part of the CC as Manly is to Bondi. Both sides have major harbours and no rail or roads connectivity. Even middle harbour breaks the Peninsula from the rest of Sydney

The trick is to do upgrades in stages at Brooky. The next upgrade should be the Western Grandstand. Its been untouched for almost 50y
Bondi junction is close enough

the closest train station to manly is north Sydney or Chatswood or Asquith

Ozzi_78

First Grade
If Brooky and Shark Park combined enjoyed even half the government funding the cowboys got for their stadium that would be all they need to bump their grounds up to quality standard.
Well we all know why they got one and who asked publicly.

I didn't say you should become a "big fan" of the Broncos. Just adopt them as your second team. There are plenty of people in North Queensland who still support the Broncos. Andrew Symonds was a massive Broncos fan.

I never criticised the players who went to Sydney for more money. I said I'll never forgive the NSWRL clubs for exploiting the gaming machine laws in NSW to raid the BRL.

Sounds like Manly is a stupid place to have a team. Shit location with not enough people to generate a sustainable fanbase. The answer is to kick them out.

Local council and state gov have routinely refused to fund a stadium rebuild at Brookvale.

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
I didn't say you should become a "big fan" of the Broncos. Just adopt them as your second team. There are plenty of people in North Queensland who still support the Broncos. Andrew Symonds was a massive Broncos fan.

I never criticised the players who went to Sydney for more money. I said I'll never forgive the NSWRL clubs for exploiting the gaming machine laws in NSW to raid the BRL.

Sounds like Manly is a stupid place to have a team. Shit location with not enough people to generate a sustainable fanbase. The answer is to kick them out.

Local council and state gov have routinely refused to fund a stadium rebuild at Brookvale.
You've said it many times over... like a broken record... howbout you just STFU... who the f**k are to tell others to root for the bronx or whoever else, go suk a dik.... useless troll from bumfk logan

You've said it many times over... like a broken record... howbout you just STFU... who the f**k are to tell others to root for the bronx or whoever else, go suk a dik.... useless troll from bumfk logan
As a Cowboys fan I detest the broncos.
wouldn’t follow them with a gun to my head .
yet the village idiot says follow them as a second team .
Talk about not grounded in reality..lol
id rather follow Singapore when they enter.

Canard

Immortal

Your user name is Get Rid of The Donkeys? And despite living in the heart of Broncos terroritory you adopted the Cowboys as your team, even though you haven't lived in NQ ever.

But now you're a big Broncos fan?

Latest posts