What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Revenue for NRL Clubs (2018-2021)

Canard

Immortal
News Ltd was a fundamental problem with the Broncos bid

I am not aware if any other team who is owned by a media company

Qld expansion was not well thought through. There was going to be more than 1 Brisbane team

In 93-95 I would have gone with Brisbane 1 and Brisbane 2. Maybe with two bigger BRL clubs stepping up

I don't believe News had any involvement with the Broncos creation or early ownership

Canard

Immortal
broncos canilbailzed the brl for one team

their crowds as a one city team are average as are their memberships

arko has said his mistake wasn’t adding two teams from Brisbane at once but they wanted a strong team so they were cautious

then when they did add a second team the broncos started super league because they didn’t like the idea of competition.

hopefully the dolphins can become the true Brisbane team rather than their corporate rivals

If it wasn't the Broncos, all those players would be lost to the Sydney comp though, so it's hardly like that's an issue.

Wb1234

Immortal
If it wasn't the Broncos, all those players would be lost to the Sydney comp though, so it's hardly like that's an issue.
Most were coming to Sydney anyway

the king signed a contract with manly in 86 or 87 then the qrl wouldnt let him go knowing they were going to add a team to the arl in 88

Canard

Immortal
Most were coming to Sydney anyway

the king signed a contract with manly in 86 or 87 then the qrl wouldnt let him go knowing they were going to add a team to the arl in 88

So why did you use the term cannibalised?

Have you ever asked yourself why didnt the QRL ever expand?

Travel was always going to be issue with expansion clubs

The only poor decision they made was to allow the Broncos to join the NSWRL comp

88 should have been a simple Newcastle entry only
QRL created the State League in 1982. It featured teams from all over Queensland. North Queensland Marlins became the first non-Brisbane team to win it. The Queensland Cup replaced it in 1995.

The NSWRL clubs refused to pay for flight and accommodation of just one away match in Townsville. The Cowboys were made to cover the flight and accommodation of each Sydney team when they travelled to Townsville. If the Sydney clubs were so broke they couldn't cover the expenses for just one away match every two years then they shouldn't have been in a national competition.

beave

Coach
IIRC, I think their only involvement early on was as a sponsor.

News with the Couriermail and Townsville Bulletin being the main rags in both cities, both had a fair amount of their tentacles reaching inside their respective locations teams.

Ron Mclean was the the main man at the Bully in Tvl and was then the Chairman of the Cowboys bid and the club proper once admitted. Him and Doug Kingston (News Journo) and Kerry Boustead were the main reasons we have a team in NQ as they were the drivers of the whole thing.

Once SL was set up NQ was always going to jump ship due to these ties, their financial handicaps with the ARLtravel and accomodation stipulations and the fact News offered to pay for a heap of upgrades to the old stadium made it a no brainer.

Canard

Immortal
Yes interesting read

Including the bit that they pissed off the QRL before the first game after the QRL voted to have them brought in, after the AFL arrived they year before

Seems those bannana benders were begging to join the NSWRL

The BRL was on life support before the Broncos were admitted.

Sir Joh banning pokies meant the comp was inevitably doomed.

If pokies were allowed, I have no doubt that up to 3 or 4 existing Brisbane clubs would have entered into the NSWRL in the 80s

Canard

Immortal
News with the Couriermail and Townsville Bulletin being the main rags in both cities, both had a fair amount of their tentacles reaching inside their respective locations teams.

Ron Mclean was the the main man at the Bully in Tvl and was then the Chairman of the Cowboys bid and the club proper once admitted. Him and Doug Kingston (News Journo) and Kerry Boustead were the main reasons we have a team in NQ as they were the drivers of the whole thing.

Once SL was set up NQ was always going to jump ship due to these ties, their financial handicaps with the ARLtravel and accomodation stipulations and the fact News offered to pay for a heap of upgrades to the old stadium made it a no brainer.

Yep, I have no dramas saying that without SL our club wouldn't even exist by now.

So I don't share the same angst that LU has for it.

beave

Coach

If pokies were allowed, I have no doubt that up to 3 or 4 existing Brisbane clubs would have entered into the NSWRL in the 80s
I'm still filthy Boustead didn't use the rightful NQ name for the bid.

A7D49462-A8C9-4E38-97DE-EB4CDE2EDFDC.jpeg

Looking at old footage this arvo, you can see why Aaron Payne was a gun player, he was a chip off the old block.

D08A2553-5E48-41ED-B9A7-67F9734810F9.jpeg

beave

Coach
Yep, I have no dramas saying that without SL our club wouldn't even exist by now.

So I don't share the same angst that LU has for it.

Yeah the only things that kept the club alive was News and the fans.

How the f**k we average over 20k in those first 3 years is a testament to the support of RL in NQ. God knows the absolute geniuses that ran the joint in the first 6 years should have been run out of town and never allowed back. Some of the stories i've heard from those within the clubs inner sanctum once Boustead quit and few others were put in control would make your blood boil. Frank Stanton, Peter Parr and Graham Murray turned the ship around.

Wb1234

Immortal

That would have been a better solution than what we have today

Have you read Neil Cadigan's book on the Cowboys?

I provided some excerpts from it here.

Cowboys were only able to pay their players until June or July. Without Super League they would have folded. The one thing in their favour is their sponsorship and corporate hospitality was always amongst the best in the league, even back in the 1990s. For that reason News Ltd kept them around.

Sir Joh didn't ban pokies. He just didn't pass legislation to allow them into licenced venues.

NSW was the only state in Australia to allow gaming machines into licenced venues between 1956 and 1991.

Queensland and Victoria legalised gaming machines in licenced venues in 1991. South Australia and Tasmania followed suit in the late 90s. Western Australia still prohibits their use in licenced venues.

BRL clubs went bankrupt trying to hold onto their players. I'll never forgive the NSWRL clubs for taking advtange of the gaming machine revenue that was only available to them. It's stupid how NSWRL fans say it's Queensland's fault. They ignore the fact their state was the only one in all of Australia to allow this form of gambling to ruin lives. The NSWRL clubs killed a great competition and then treated the Broncos like second class citizens. It was always going to lead to a rebellion, but the sooks down south are too stupid and selfish to sit back and reflect on their role in the Super League War. The big sooks still run around pretending to be victims.

Instead of hating the Broncos you should view them as brothers fighting against the corrupt cabal of the NSWRL.

Cowboys will always be my favourite club, but I've adopted the Broncos as my second team. It's us versus the mongrels from down south.

Last edited:

beave

Coach
Have you read Neil Cadigan's book on the Cowboys?

I provided some excerpts from it here.

Cowboys were only able to pay their players until June or July. Without Super League they would have folded. The one thing in their favour is their sponsorship and corporate hospitality was always amongst the best in the league, even back in the 1990s. For that reason News Ltd kept them around.
Yeah I have it tucked away with the rest of my Cowbs treasures.

The Cowboys sold papers and fox/AUSTAR subscriptions for news all through NQ so it was in their interest to keep us afloat but the RL romantic in me would like to think that there was more to it than just that. We were always one of the higher rated teams on pay tv though even when we were steaming mess.

Yeah the only things that kept the club alive was News and the fans.

How the f**k we average over 20k in those first 3 years is a testament to the support of RL in NQ. God knows the absolute geniuses that ran the joint in the first 6 years should have been run out of town and never allowed back. Some of the stories i've heard from those within the clubs inner sanctum once Boustead quit and few others were put in control would make your blood boil. Frank Stanton, Peter Parr and Graham Murray turned the ship around.
One of the things that f**ked the Cowboys in 1995 was selling sponsorship and corporate hospitality packages for bargain prices. What they sold them for wasn't enough to cover the repayments on the loan they took out to build The Willows. Poor business decisions almost killed the club.

Still doesn't change the fact the club should never have been slugged with an $800k fee to fly and accommodate Sydney clubs when they played in Townsville. Things like that are the reason the Broncos, Cowboys, Raiders, Warriors and Reds jumped over to News Ltd. Arthurson and Quayle favoured Sydney clubs and it created a rift that News Ltd were able to exploit. Instead of learning from their mistakes, the morons in charge of the ARLC are still favouring the Sydney clubs. Our game never learns.

beave

Coach
One of the things that f**ked the Cowboys in 1995 was selling sponsorship and corporate hospitality packages for bargain prices. What they sold them for wasn't enough to cover the repayments on the loan they took out to build The Willows. Poor business decisions almost killed the club.

Still doesn't change the fact the club should never have been slugged with an $800k fee to fly and accommodate Sydney clubs when they played in Townsville. Things like that are the reason the Broncos, Cowboys, Raiders, Warriors and Reds jumped over to News Ltd. Arthurson and Quayle favoured Sydney clubs and it created a rift that News Ltd were able to exploit. Instead of learning from their mistakes, the morons in charge of the ARLC are still favouring the Sydney clubs. Our game never learns.
You have to remember though, the western stand at the old joint that had all the corporate facilities was barely up to scratch "corporate"wise, it was a bucket of shit that stand and it was never meant for what it turned into. NQ people don't like being played the fool and charging prices commensurate to being seated in luxury was never going to happen.

The old ground served its purpose though, it was still better than Brooky, Leichardt, Cambo, on par with Penrith even in its final days but you compare it to the absolute masterpiece that is QCB and you can see why they can now charge what they are for the corporate seating.

You have to remember though, the western stand at the old joint that had all the corporate facilities was barely up to scratch "corporate"wise, it was a bucket of shit that stand and it was never meant for what it turned into. NQ people don't like being played the fool and charging prices commensurate to being seated in luxury was never going to happen.

The old ground served its purpose though, it was still better than Brooky, Leichardt, Cambo, on par with Penrith even in its final days but you compare it to the absolute masterpiece that is QCB and you can see why they can now charge what they are for the corporate seating.
The ARLC should set some standards so that we can move out of dumps like Brookvale. The Cowboys were forced to fund a better quality stadium in 1995 than the dump Manly has played out of for decades. That's the sort of favouritism that created the perfect scenario for the Super League war.

If we want clubs like Manly to grow their revenue from sponsorship and corporate hospitality then they'll need to abandon Brookvale and split their games between Central Coast Stadium and SFS.