What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Revenue for NRL Clubs (2018-2021)

MugaB

Coach
Sydney is the place where rugby league is strongest in the universe
Strong assumption, i suppose it is at the moment, considering we haven't had a team in Perth for a while now... you never know, Brisbane, Perth, Auckland are all ready to become NRL expansion areas again, maybe in a few more decades, Sydney is neck and neck with one of them

Wb1234

Immortal
Strong assumption, i suppose it is at the moment, considering we haven't had a team in Perth for a while now... you never know, Brisbane, Perth, Auckland are all ready to become NRL expansion areas again, maybe in a few more decades, Sydney is neck and neck with one of them
Zero chance

Sydney is why the sport HAS achieved what it has. Stick to your AFL honey
Mate you're letting emotion cloud your judgement.

The biggest and most profitable sector of the game is State of Origin. Jack Reardon suggested the concept in 1964. The NSWRL vehemently opposed the concept. The Sydney media labelled Queenslanders "insane" and "stupid" for pushing for Origin to replace the old residency rules fixture. According to the NSWRL and Sydney media Origin would not draw any interest from the corporate sector and public. Bob Fulton referred to Origin as the "non-event of the century".

If the NSWRL had their way then rugby league wouldn't have the only fixture that generates national and international interest.

To illustrate just how backwards and out of touch the NSWRL community has always been, the old residency rules match played in the lead up to Origin in 1980 drew just 1,600 fans through the gate in Sydney. That's what the halfwits from the NSWRL wanted to hang onto. The only reason they wanted to keep it is because the gaming machine revenue their clubs had access to guaranteed them victory every year. NSWRL doesn't care about what's best for rugby league. NSWRL only cares about what's best for itself.

It must shit you to no end to see the Broncos, Cowboys and Origin being economic giants while all nine Sydney clubs draw little revenue from football operations. If the Sydney clubs were half of what you claim then they would be making a fortune from football operations. The fact they don't proves they ain't worth shit.

The people who liked your post are the dumbest and most immature knuckle draggers on the board. With the exception of @Wb1234 and @Phil McGrawhan I've had them all on ignore for months because they speak shit.

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
It must shit you to no end to see the Broncos, Cowboys and Origin being economic giants while all nine Sydney clubs draw little revenue from football operations. If the Sydney clubs were half of what you claim then they would be making a fortune from football operations. The fact they don't proves they ain't worth shit.
Keep paying those bills bronx/cows, while the rest of us sit back and play lords....
videotogif_2022.12.24_01.04.18.gif
You might get your logan fix one day

Last edited:
Donkeys, most of what you post is really strange. However, I do agree with taking games overseas. Why not aim for the stars and try to get into a different market.

I do agree that 9 teams in Sydney is too many. But you're not thinking it through properly. It's not as easy as telling Manly or Cronulla or something to f**k off and then tell the fans of those teams to go for Sydney or St George. If the NRL moves a few teams away from Sydney, those fans won't be consolidated into becoming fans of other NRL clubs, they will mostly just leave Rugby League altogether. Football and AFL would be licking their lips at gaining new fans by doing nothing.

The 9 teams are here to stay unless the NRL decides that Rugby League doesn't need some of it's most important areas.

MugaB

Coach
Donkeys, most of what you post is really strange. However, I do agree with taking games overseas. Why not aim for the stars and try to get into a different market.

I do agree that 9 teams in Sydney is too many. But you're not thinking it through properly. It's not as easy as telling Manly or Cronulla or something to f**k off and then tell the fans of those teams to go for Sydney or St George. If the NRL moves a few teams away from Sydney, those fans won't be consolidated into becoming fans of other NRL clubs, they will mostly just leave Rugby League altogether. Football and AFL would be licking their lips at gaining new fans by doing nothing.

The 9 teams are here to stay unless the NRL decides that Rugby League doesn't need some of it's most important areas.
He doesnt care, he'd rather we all end up as north Sydney fans, (basically without a top flight team) his hate drives all his dumbass posts, then cherry picks any data he can find to point out that he is right, often he'll talk about pokie dens and how it ruined qld rl (brl comp) but then he turns around and says gold coast could do with one, to fund them in the fight against AFLs Lions, and has zero issue with people throwing away their hard earned on them.. like what a hypocrite.. most if what is posted is drivel and hate and his name is "get rid of the donkeys" that should tell you enough.. the broncos, who are one of the most money spining and successful clubs in Australia.. fmd

Get a life grotd...
U dopey Logan deadshıt

KLINK LOGAN.png

Iamback

Coach

The key is to move these clubs into other areas, We are seeing that with these one of games in the country becoming longer term

I'm willing to sacrifice 15k to 30k active RL fans in Sydney to develop a supporter base in new markets like Adelaide and Perth. It will suck for the fans of the clubs who are lost, but professional sport is a cut throat business that only cares about profit and loss.

Our game is now wasting $85m per annum on 17 clubs because nine of them from Sydney cannot generate enough revenue from football operations to keep up with the Broncos and Cowboys. That's money that could and should be invested in community football to get more kids playing the game. Our main competitor has been killing us in this department for 25 years and it is going to hurt us when the baby boomers are no longer around to paper over the cracks.

There just aren't enough active RL fans in Sydney to support nine clubs. The fact that a team from a regional FNQ city that has a population of just 180k generates more revenue from football operations than the nine Sydney clubs is the most damning piece of evidence.

The most infuriating thing is our game sacrificed clubs in Adelaide, Brisbane, Gold Coast and Perth 23 years ago to keep eight small clubs in Sydney in 14 team league. It brought back the Rabbitohs in 2002. That's five years before the Titans were brought in and 21 years since Brisbane 2 was reintroduced. The damage this has caused our game in southeast Queensland, Adelaide and Perth has been immense and is probably irreversible. Our main competitor has benefitted from it the most. Despite this, The Dolphins are set to generate more revenue from sponsorship than the Sydney clubs, despite not being a true citywide club. The problem is they'll never be a behemoth like the Broncos and could become another Titans if they don't enjoy any success.

We still don't have Adelaide and Perth.

The NRL's decision to favour Sydney and alienate the rest of the country has probably killed any chance we had of making rugby league a truly national sport. It's also solidified our fate to become a niche sport by 2050. Once the older rusted on fans from the baby boomer era are dead we will be left with people who grew up playing soccer and Aussie rules just as much as they played RL. They're not going to blindly support our game like the older folk on here. They'll refer to soccer as "football" and our game as "NRL". Their support will be casual at best, following big event games such as Origin and maybe watch a few games when their team is successful. I cannot see our crowds and TV ratings doing anything other than declining over the next 30 years. Once the talent pool becomes so thin it cannot produce enough quality players for 17 to 20 teams then we'll lose casual fans because no one wants to watch poor quality games. Then the broadcast revenue will drop and we'll have no option but to lower the salary cap or stop bailing out unviable teams.

Last edited:

siv

First Grade
Mate you're letting emotion cloud your judgement.

The biggest and most profitable sector of the game is State of Origin. Jack Reardon suggested the concept in 1964. The NSWRL vehemently opposed the concept. The Sydney media labelled Queenslanders "insane" and "stupid" for pushing for Origin to replace the old residency rules fixture. According to the NSWRL and Sydney media Origin would not draw any interest from the corporate sector and public. Bob Fulton referred to Origin as the "non-event of the century".

If the NSWRL had their way then rugby league wouldn't have the only fixture that generates national and international interest.

To illustrate just how backwards and out of touch the NSWRL community has always been, the old residency rules match played in the lead up to Origin in 1980 drew just 1,600 fans through the gate in Sydney. That's what the halfwits from the NSWRL wanted to hang onto. The only reason they wanted to keep it is because the gaming machine revenue their clubs had access to guaranteed them victory every year. NSWRL doesn't care about what's best for rugby league. NSWRL only cares about what's best for itself.

The people who liked your post are the dumbest and most immature knuckle draggers on the board. With the exception of @Wb1234 and @Phil McGrawhan I've had them all on ignore for months because they speak shit.
Origin concept was first proposed in the 1920s

siv

First Grade
I'm willing to sacrifice 15k to 30k active RL fans in Sydney to develop a supporter base in new markets like Adelaide and Perth. It will suck for the fans of the clubs who are lost, but professional sport is a cut throat business that only cares about profit and loss.

Our game is now wasting $85m per annum on 17 clubs because nine of them from Sydney cannot generate enough revenue from football operations to keep up with the Broncos and Cowboys. That's money that could and should be invested in community football to get more kids playing the game. Our main competitor has been killing us in this department for 25 years and it is going to hurt us when the baby boomers are no longer around to paper over the cracks.

There just aren't enough active RL fans in Sydney to support nine clubs. The fact that a team from a regional FNQ city that has a population of just 180k generates more revenue from football operations than the nine Sydney clubs is the most damning piece of evidence.

The most infuriating thing is our game sacrificed clubs in Adelaide, Brisbane, Gold Coast and Perth 23 years ago to keep eight small clubs in Sydney in 14 team league. It brought back the Rabbitohs in 2002. That's five years before the Titans were brought in and 21 years since Brisbane 2 was reintroduced. The damage this has caused our game in southeast Queensland, Adelaide and Perth has been immense and is probably irreversible. Our main competitor has benefitted from it the most. Despite this, The Dolphins are set to generate more revenue from sponsorship than the Sydney clubs, despite not being a true citywide club. The problem is they'll never be a behemoth like the Broncos and could become another Titans if they don't enjoy any success.

We still don't have Adelaide and Perth.

The NRL's decision to favour Sydney and alienate the rest od the country has probably killed any chance we had of making rugby league a truly national sport. It's also solidified our fate to become a niche sport by 2050. Once the older rusted on fans from the baby boomer era are dead we will be left with people who grew up playing soccer and Aussie rules just as much as they played RL. They're not going to blindly support our game like the older folk on here. They'll refer to soccer as "football" and will only follow the big event games such as Origin and maybe a few big games when their team is successful. I cannot see our crowds and TV ratings doing anything other than declining over the next 30 years. Once the talent pool becomes so thin it cannot produce enough quality players for 17 to 20 teams then we'll lose casual fans because no one wants to watch poor quality games and clubs. Then the broadcast revenue will drop and we'll have no option but to lower the salary cap or stop bailing out unviable teams.
Lets also not forget it was the Broncos who created the climate that caused all of these issues

Lets also not forget it was the Broncos who created the climate that caused all of these issues
I used to follow the Sydney narrative about the Broncos, but now I know the latter were in the right. The NSWRL created this environment by favouring Sydney to the detriment of everyone outside of NSW.

Why do you think North Queensland Cowboys, Canberra Raiders, Auckland Warriors and Western Reds joined the Broncos in signing with Super League in 1995?

It wasn't because they were "disloyal" and "greedy". They were getting shafted by Arthurson and Quayle. In the Cowboys' case the club had to spend $800k on flight and accommodation for itself and opposition teams due to a stipulation put in place by representatives of the Sydney clubs during the expansion process. Cowboys were forced to take out a loan to convert The Willows into an ARL standard stadium, despite Sydney clubs being allowed to play at shitholes. It bankrupted the club. Same happened to the Reds.

Arthurson and Quayle continuously threatened to kick the Broncos out during the early 90s and only brought in the Crushers to gain leverage over them so they could follow through with their plan. I'll point out that Arthurson and Quayle forced the Broncos to pay a $500k entrance fee but gave the Knights and Giants an interest free loan. They also brought in the Giants just one week after agreeing to give the Broncos exclusivity over southeast Queensland in exchange for the $500k entrance fee.

Broncos were in the right.

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
You can't judge clubs performance on just a few years. Every club has down years.

My club would be out of the comp if judged this way in all of its existence.

It's a quirk of our history that this situation has occurred. The modern day AFL has 10 clubs in Victoria, and have proved that it's possible to expand and not cull clubs and fans.

siv

First Grade
I used to follow the Sydney narrative about the Broncos, but now I know the latter were in the right. The NSWRL created this environment by favouring Sydney to the detriment of everyone outside of NSW.

Why do you think North Queensland Cowboys, Canberra Raiders, Auckland Warriors and Western Reds joined the Broncos in signing with Super League in 1995?

It wasn't because they were "disloyal" and "greedy". They were getting shafted by Arthurson and Quayle. In the Cowboys' case the club had to spend $800k on flight and accommodation for itself and opposition teams due to a stipulation put in place by representatives of the Sydney clubs during the expansion process. Cowboys were forced to take out a loan to convert The Willows into an ARL standard stadium, despite Sydney clubs being allowed to play at shitholes. It bankrupted the club. Same happened to the Reds.

Arthurson and Quayle continuously threatened to kick the Broncos out during the early 90s and only brought in the Crushers to gain leverage over them so they could follow through with their plan. I'll point out that Arthurson and Quayle forced the Broncos to pay a $500k entrance fee but gave the Knights and Giants an interest free loan. They also brought in the Giants just one week after agreeing to give the Broncos exclusivity over southeast Queensland in exchange for the $500k entrance fee.

Broncos were in the right.
Have you ever asked yourself why didnt the QRL ever expand?

Travel was always going to be issue with expansion clubs

The only poor decision they made was to allow the Broncos to join the NSWRL comp

88 should have been a simple Newcastle entry only

Canard

Immortal
Have you ever asked yourself why didnt the QRL ever expand?

Travel was always going to be issue with expansion clubs

The only poor decision they made was to allow the Broncos to join the NSWRL comp

88 should have been a simple Newcastle entry only
Why?

The Broncos (who I hate) have been an unmitigated success story?

95 was the botched expansion for mine.

4 teams at once was to many to soon and weakened the comp such that it was a contributing factor to Super League.

It should have been Auckland and the Crushers in 95 and the Cowboys and Reds in 97 or 98

siv

First Grade
Why?

4 teams at once was to many to soon and weakened the comp such that it was a contributing factor to Super League.

It should have been Auckland and the Crushers in 95 and the Cowboys and Reds in 97 or 98
News Ltd was a fundamental problem with the Broncos

I am not aware if any other team who is owned by a media company

Qld expansion was not well thought through. There was always going to be more than 1 Brisbane team

In 93-95 I would have gone with Brisbane 1 and Brisbane 2. Maybe with two bigger BRL clubs stepping up

Last edited:

Wb1234

Immortal
Why?

broncos canilbailzed the brl for one team

their crowds as a one city team are average as are their memberships

arko has said his mistake wasn’t adding two teams from Brisbane at once but they wanted a strong team so they were cautious

then when they did add a second team the broncos started super league because they didn’t like the idea of competition.

hopefully the dolphins can become the true Brisbane team rather than their corporate rivals

Reactions: siv
News Ltd was a fundamental problem with the Broncos bid

I am not aware if any other team who is owned by a media company

Qld expansion was not well thought through. There was going to be more than 1 Brisbane team

In 93-95 I would have gone with Brisbane 1 and Brisbane 2. Maybe with two bigger BRL clubs stepping up

News LTD had nothing to do with the Broncos bid.

Latest posts