What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ricky Quits !!!

Avenger

Immortal
Yeah we all know that it will free up a lot of money under our cap, but realistically no one at the club knew how munch the coach was on.

Cheers
Declared Idiot #88
Quigs

The coach's salary is not part of the cap. Does your brain hurt sometimes ?

Inferno

Coach
Yeah < good call Einstein. The players coached themselves. Or Maybe Flanno did it by remote control from Origin camp ey?

On the issue of his resignation I think its been handled well by Ricky. He is a real pro.
Sharks get to save some bucks by appointing his apprentice & letting him take the reigns for the rest of this year.
This should go towards a very big shortfall the football club is going to have this year.
I think we will see Ricky back in the Blues job pretty soon & lets hope he repays Toops & Gal & Snowy.
I think that this resignation has more to do with Rick looking out for the welfare of Cronulla & his good friend flanno, rather then his own career. Could it be the case that Flanno was a clause in the resignation?
Well done Ricky & thanks for saving my club from exctinction.

This x2. Say what you want about Sticky, there was plenty to criticise him for but I don't think he did a single thing that he didn't think was in the best interests of the Sharks. Fact is we will probably save close to 300k by not having to pay him next year, and I have no doubt that factored into his considerations. Atm he has no other job to go to, so credit has to go to him for that.

I honestly wish nothing but the best for Sticky, and I have nothing but thanks for him coaching us during some of the most difficult times in our existence.

One other fact I've found hilarious though was how much sh*t we put on Brown when we were being coached by Roper.

How the wheel turns!

Qld Shark

Juniors
The coach's salary is not part of the cap. Does your brain hurt sometimes ?
Oh f**k I couldn't stop laughing when I read that!
Really Quigs You better lay off this guy,it's like shootin' fish in a barrell
He's got as munch humour in him as redders and showbag.

azzah72

Bench
CRONULLA is a political minefield with revelations emerging that senior players and coaching staff - including head coach Ricky Stuart - are at loggerheads with the club's board. The Sharks' internal dramas were a major reason Stuart quit the club yesterday despite having another season to run on his contract.
Stuart, the former NSW and Australian coach, will finish this season in charge before handing over to Shane Flanagan, Cronulla's assistant coach, for 2011.

The Daily Telegraph can today reveal:
SENIOR Cronulla players were not consulted by the club's board over Stuart's shock resignation;
STUART and Sharks chairman Damian Irvine have a relationship fractured beyond repair;
THE board was split over whether to accept Stuart's resignation;
SOME internal factions wanted to advertise for the vacant coaching position, others were adamant Flanagan deserved his chance after five years as assistant coach; and
Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

INSTABILITY at board level has worn Stuart down in recent months.
Stuart approached the board last week about quitting after this year.
Privately, he realised his damaged relationship with some board members could not be repaired. The board fast-tracked their approval for Stuart to quit but, in doing so, forgot to consult senior players.
The Daily Telegraph can also reveal Stuart was privately upset that Irvine had linked Nathan Brown to the club as a future coach.
"How would you feel - of course Ricky was upset, particularly after he held the club together last year," said one well-placed Sharks source.
At a media conference at Cronulla Leagues Club yesterday, Stuart refused to identify the boardroom issues. Asked why he wanted to leave, Stuart said: "The decision at this time was right for Ricky Stuart and for the Cronulla Sharks.
See below for Ricky Stuart's coaching record
"I'm over the hardest part and that was just then talking to the players [yesterday morning].
"We've got a really close bond, they're a great group of players ... it was difficult in regards me telling them of my decision.
"I think the time's right, it's right for me to go out and look at some new challenges and I think the timing is also certainly right for the club. But it was a very difficult decision."
Phil Rothfield says NSW will win the series, but despite coach Craig Bellamy. Join Buzz's blog
Stuart has a strong friendship with the club's senior players, most notably Paul Gallen and Trent Barrett. Asked were the players consulted about the board's decision to allow the resignation, Barrett said: "I spoke to Sticky [Stuart], he is a mate of mine. But I didn't talk to anyone else.
"Going forward, maybe senior players like Paul Gallen and Kade Snowden should be filled in on decisions.
"Not so much me, I may not be here next year, but these guys will be at the club for years to come and they need to be kept happy."
Sharks CEO Richard Fisk described Stuart as the "rock that held this club together last season".
Players supporting Stuart are privately miffed at the fall-out between their coach and the board. "It's important for the players that they know I am there to help them, and not just on the field with their football," said Stuart, who wants to continue coaching in the NRL next season and has been linked to Wests Tigers, Brisbane and the Melbourne Rebels rugby union club.
Stuart's mid-season decision to announce he is leaving allows Flanagan to become involved in recruitment for 2011 and to implement some of his training strategies.
"I would have loved to have had success here and loved to have delivered something the club hasn't been able to achieve," Stuart said.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-as-sharks-coach/story-e6frexnr-1225870789983

Frenzy's worries might have some weight.

It's all a learning curve for Damien Irvine.

The guy obviously has a passion for the Club but it seems that his inexperience and head strong personality is going to lose him some respect amongst players, coaches and management now and in the future.

Make enough enemies and it will eventually catch up with you.

Play with a straight bat and you'll earn respect.

carcharias

Immortal
call me crazy ..but why is it the boards job to tell the players of Ricky's resignation?

He quit...it's not like they sacked him....he is their fuggen coach.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
call me crazy ..but why is it the boards job to tell the players of Ricky's resignation?

He quit...it's not like they sacked him....he is their fuggen coach.

Because Ricky was under contract. he has as much responsibility to finish his contract as the club does. A coach leaving mid contract "could" really de-stabilise a club. The resignation has to then be accepted. The players are stake holders & should have been consulted on the issue because perhaps they may have said "Sticky is going to finish his contract, we demand it".
In ay other world it may have been a conflict that caused the resignation. Not in this case, as such.

fizman

Bench
You could put forward a very strong argument that this is a financial saving outcome.

If Sticky has seen that Flanno can do the job, why does he need to hang around??

Our current Board are in no position of expertise to select another NRL coach.
In fact our current Board is a financial Board, not a football Board.

I would say it is all about the $$$ and staying afloat.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
You could put forward a very strong argument that this is a financial saving outcome.
I think its already been done. There is no argument.

If Sticky has seen that Flanno can do the job, why does he need to hang around??
Because Flanno needs the help. All of them are already wearing 10 caps each & pulling 14 hr days.
Our current Board are in no position of expertise to select another NRL coach.
In fact our current Board is a financial Board, not a football Board.
exactly.
I would say it is all about the $$$ and staying afloat.
And you are 100% correct.

The Informer

Juniors
Black tip you've obviously been played as a puppet by different people who want you to peddle stories that you believe and then push a certain way on this forum.

It was posted here in early March that Stuart would resign / step aside weeks into this season. At the time it had been agreed by the parties involved that it was best to do 4 to 6 weeks into the year. You said it was bullsh*te, it wasn't. Brown was offered directly the job, with Stuart&#8217;s knowledge, you said it was bullsh*te, it wasn't. You've run your own spin on all of this week in week out for the last two months, doing nothing but embarrass yourself as you were so far from the facts it wasn&#8217;t funny, including the gem that the club were in discussion with Stuart toward a new contract, utter bullsh*te, the only discussions that were current through the last few weeks was in countering Stuart&#8217;s claim to a payout settlement and threatening to walk out, he didn't as he was told he wouldn't get paid for the rest of this yr. You now claim that he has fallen on his sword, parted with the board and club and it&#8217;s all about major financial savings. Once again utter bullsh*te.

Stuart does not have a contract for next year. Stuart will not be paid out for anything, he is under contract for 2010 and he will be paid for that only, as he now works out that period, nothing more.

As for the supposed "contract" for next yr, his current contract states an option for next year, in the clubs favour, nothing more. Stuart want to stay, late last yr with the arrival of the new Board he tried to have confirmed the option being taken up, and a possible extension. The Board declined and advised him professionally, they would head down a different path post 2010. It was agreed that announcements would be made early into the season so that everyone could move on, a new coach could be appointed and planning and recruitment for 2011 and onwards could continue on without their being a sh*tefight. Stuart was offered to make his announcements how he saw fit so that he could save face and walk away without any scars.

This was all settled late last yr. In the meantime Stuart&#8217;s manager started hawking him around from club to club to see what was on offer for 2010 and beyond.

Brown was offered the job last Xmas, that is a fact. Stuart was well aware of the approach at the time, Brown cleared it directly with him prior to any further discussion. Brown was very close to taking it but decided some weeks ago not to.

Stuart and his manager have spent the last number of weeks trying to leverage a payout, a possible immediate exit, and planning his announcement and how they'd manage the media. And this is from the so called hero of Cronulla, the same hero who has spent weeks stabbing various people in the back, trying to finalise his own payout yet was owed nothing and is now happy to play the News Ltd media off with various half truths and leaks to ensure he tips a bucket on the current board and that he walks away smelling like roses.

The simple facts are his contracted time at the club was due to expire at the end of 2010. He wanted to stay. The Board didn't want him to stay. At the time of those discussions there was no blow up, no arguments, no agendas, the Board made their own business decision for whatever reasons for the future. The only person who has turned this into anything else that it was not, and fueled it with agenda and spin since is the exiting coach.

Oh, and along the way it appears a few of the disciples have fallen in hook line and sinker.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Black tip you've obviously been played as a puppet by different people who want you to peddle stories that you believe and then push a certain way on this forum.

It was posted here in early March that Stuart would resign / step aside weeks into this season. At the time it had been agreed by the parties involved that it was best to do 4 to 6 weeks into the year. You said it was bullsh*te, it wasn't. Brown was offered directly the job, with Stuart’s knowledge, you said it was bullsh*te, it wasn't. You've run your own spin on all of this week in week out for the last two months, doing nothing but embarrass yourself as you were so far from the facts it wasn’t funny, including the gem that the club were in discussion with Stuart toward a new contract, utter bullsh*te, the only discussions that were current through the last few weeks was in countering Stuart’s claim to a payout settlement and threatening to walk out, he didn't as he was told he wouldn't get paid for the rest of this yr. You now claim that he has fallen on his sword, parted with the board and club and it’s all about major financial savings. Once again utter bullsh*te.

Stuart does not have a contract for next year. Stuart will not be paid out for anything, he is under contract for 2010 and he will be paid for that only, as he now works out that period, nothing more.

As for the supposed "contract" for next yr, his current contract states an option for next year, in the clubs favour, nothing more. Stuart want to stay, late last yr with the arrival of the new Board he tried to have confirmed the option being taken up, and a possible extension. The Board declined and advised him professionally, they would head down a different path post 2010. It was agreed that announcements would be made early into the season so that everyone could move on, a new coach could be appointed and planning and recruitment for 2011 and onwards could continue on without their being a sh*tefight. Stuart was offered to make his announcements how he saw fit so that he could save face and walk away without any scars.

This was all settled late last yr. In the meantime Stuart’s manager started hawking him around from club to club to see what was on offer for 2010 and beyond.

Brown was offered the job last Xmas, that is a fact. Stuart was well aware of the approach at the time, Brown cleared it directly with him prior to any further discussion. Brown was very close to taking it but decided some weeks ago not to.

Stuart and his manager have spent the last number of weeks trying to leverage a payout, a possible immediate exit, and planning his announcement and how they'd manage the media. And this is from the so called hero of Cronulla, the same hero who has spent weeks stabbing various people in the back, trying to finalise his own payout yet was owed nothing and is now happy to play the News Ltd media off with various half truths and leaks to ensure he tips a bucket on the current board and that he walks away smelling like roses.

The simple facts are his contracted time at the club was due to expire at the end of 2010. He wanted to stay. The Board didn't want him to stay. At the time of those discussions there was no blow up, no arguments, no agendas, the Board made their own business decision for whatever reasons for the future. The only person who has turned this into anything else that it was not, and fueled it with agenda and spin since is the exiting coach.

Oh, and along the way it appears a few of the disciples have fallen in hook line and sinker.

Nice use of colours & fonts & bold.
So glad you came back.
It is now week 12. Not week 4 Not week 6.
Stuart was contracted for next year, not 2010 like you state. He has been released from the final year of his contract. If his manager looks for a commercial outcome from the deal, then THAT IS HIS JOB. I doubt you are half the human being Ricky stuart is, so I would suggest somebody like you, would have screwed the club over in a very Anderson manner.

Brown was not approached at Christmas time. It was well before that & by an individual no longer involved with the club.

You story is absolute bullshyte & has been rubbished by Brown, Stuart & Irvine.

Now you are saying that Stuart was back stabbing? Now you are saying that he was able to do it on his own terms to save face. How convenient of you to come out & say these things 2 days after the announcement. Why didnt you say these things in your original post?

You know what, there are some loose canons involved at the Sharks. Ex fringe players & fathers of ex-players all trying to have their 2 bobs worth on how the place should run & doing nothing more than causing grief & problems for everybody working hard to turn things around.
I bet you are one of these people. A backstabbing LEAK .

azzah72

Bench
My Step father knows brown personally and he has told me that Brown WAS approached by Irvine around the time Informer is saying (prob a little earlier than xmas).

Brown was considering and then refused and from what i know, he is considering the assistant coach position at roosters.

why? I dunno but that's what I know.

As for the rest, not sure if it is accurate but it fits.

Ricky is no angel either, he did some poor thing leaving the roosters in the media and what not, I'm not saying he has at the sharks, but it wouldn't surprise me.

He has done some great things off the field, none of it has reflected on the field, he had to go, I though Ricky stepped away, maybe not but the right decision anyway

Last edited:

Latest posts