What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLW: Best player over the last 30 years?

• Wally Lewis

Votes: 45 21.8%
  • Andrew Johns

Votes: 99 48.1%
  • Brad Fittler

Votes: 20 9.7%
  • Darren Lockyer

Votes: 9 4.4%
  • Allan Langer

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 25 12.1%

• Total voters

DeeGan

Bench

Weidler reports that this Wednesday the Centenary edition of the RLW (once a great magazine, sadly, falling a little to the way side IMO) will be released naming the Top 30 Players from the last 30 years (I think that's right?). He states Wally Lewis, Brad Fittler, Andrew Johns and Darren Lockyer are vying for the top spot.

Who ya' got if you were a betting man or woman?

DISCLAIMER: Anyone wishing to turn this in to a Darren Lockyer vs Andrew Johns debate will be fined 20% of their match fee.

mongoose

Coach
Johns or Lewis.

Lockyer - can't defend
Fittler - too inconsistent for the first 10 years of his career
Langer - was upstaged by Stuart too many times.

Slackboy72

Coach
These greatest player things are a generally a load of bull as they tend to overlook forwards in favour of halves and 5/8s. Where's Tallis, Roach, Beetson, Ray Price, Gillespie, Clyde and the REAL greatest, Glen Lazarus.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Slackboy72 said:
These greatest player things are a generally a load of bull as they tend to overlook forwards in favour of halves and 5/8s. Where's Tallis, Roach, Beetson, Ray Price, Gillespie, Clyde and the REAL greatest, Glen Lazarus.

well that's obvious isn't?

I guess they can choose the best player and include it with the best forward and back...

you just can't avoid the fact that playmakers are going to be the more dominant players when decisions like these are made.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Kusto for sure... :sarcasm:

You know I always thought Lockyer was a better player than Joey.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
I voted for Lewis, as although he didn't have the skills of Johns, he dominated on the field.

Johns would be a sliver behind him.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
ozzie said:
they don't count visits to the surgeon as a criteria - SBW? have another pick

Todd%20with%20Guadalupe%20Trout.preview.jpg

Slackboy72

Coach
Stagger eel said:
well that's obvious isn't?

I guess they can choose the best player and include it with the best forward and back...

you just can't avoid the fact that playmakers are going to be the more dominant players when decisions like these are made.

It was a rhetorical question. We all know why they aren't there brainiac.

DeeGan

Bench
mongoose said:
Johns or Lewis.

Lockyer - can't defend

Please explain.

Danish

Referee
mongoose said:
Johns or Lewis.

Lockyer - can't defend

...... as opposed to the amazing consistency of Johns and Lockyer in their first years of course :sarcasm:

Lewis was about the most inconsistent player out of that whole bunch. Dominated rep footy but was a toss of the coin job for the small part of his club career that I witnessed.... granted at my age the only games I witnessed him play at club level was in for the GC and a bit of the broncs, and by all reports his best footy was almost a decade before that.

Latest posts