What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLW: Best player over the last 30 years?

RLW: Best player over the last 30 years?

• Wally Lewis

Votes: 45 21.8%
  • Andrew Johns

Votes: 99 48.1%
  • Brad Fittler

Votes: 20 9.7%
  • Darren Lockyer

Votes: 9 4.4%
  • Allan Langer

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 25 12.1%

• Total voters

mongoose

Coach
Green Machine said:
Stuart was dominate from 93-95. Langer did every year

I thought Langer was OK in defence for such a small guy. His Cumberland Throw was borderline at times

They’re all pretty good, but Clyde did not play much footy from 95 onwards due to injury. His best footy was pre 95

Stuart had more than 3 good years. He was our halfback in 89, 90 and 91, you know? when we made the grand final 3 years running, winning it twice. He was also carrying injuries into the 91 grand final.

Green Machine

First Grade
mongoose said:
Stuart had more than 3 good years. He was our halfback in 89, 90 and 91, you know? when we made the grand final 3 years running, winning it twice. He was also carrying injuries into the 91 grand final.
I never said Stuart was a bad player from 1988-92. I thought he played well. I was talking about being the most dominate player competition. I thought Stuart was ahead of Langer from 1993-95. If wouldn’t broke his leg in 1993, we would have won the comp.

Noa

First Grade
Green Machine said:
Stuart was dominate from 93-95. Langer did every year

I thought Langer was OK in defence for such a small guy. His Cumberland Throw was borderline at times

They’re all pretty good, but Clyde did not play much footy from 95 onwards due to injury. His best footy was pre 95

lol, got him there, Clyde post 95' was but a shadow of the player he was. And Alan Langer was the most dominate player of the 90'. Even an esteemed judge as Sterlo has said that.

Stuart had a great couple of years but Langer was great from 90-98 and won 4 titles to boot as the main man.

Vicious

Bench
Sterlo was the most influential over the longest period of time.
Wally Lewis still far and beyond the most influential player at State of Origin level.
Allan Langer was a massive influence at all level of the game and for a long period.
Andrew Johns didn`t really dominate at representative level to the extent of the above named players until the latter stages of his career. He was dominant at club level for a long period, but I don`t believe that he was quite as dominant as any of the above named 3 players when all at their very best.
Mal Meninga and Brett Kenny are 2 true greats of the game, but did feed off the great players around them to a certain extent.
Brad Fittler was a genius at a young age, he then seemed to level out quite quickly, but then proved his greatness as a leader towards the end of his career. A true champion, but not quite on par with the above named players in my opinion.
After these great players you could name another 20-30 great players that had a very even effect on their respective sides, but who in my opinion weren`t quite at the level of the above named players. In saying this I only vaguely remember players such as Ray Price and Bob Fulton and Arthur Beetson at their best, so I wouldn`t argue with anyone rating them higher than some of the players I have named. Turvey Mortimer was also a great player, but I don`t class him quite as highly as the players i`ve named. Gavin Miller was one that I always thaught was vastly under rated, he carried the Sharks for many seasons. Cliff Lyons was an enigma who was right up there with the very best when on song, but didn`t quite have the consistency for me to rate him right up with the very best on a consistently regular basis.
Both Ricky Stuart and Greg Alexander were right up with the very best when at their best for a couple of seasons, but again not at their best for a long enough period for me to rate them in the top 5.
My Top 7
1.Peter Sterling
2.Wally Lewis
3.Allan Langer
4.Andrew Johns
5.Brett Kenny
6.Mal Meninga
7.Brad Fittler

Vicious

Bench
nqboy said:
Just got RLW and realised it applies to everyone who played in the NRL in that time. How could Mark Graham and Ellery Hanley miss that list?

With admitted Qld bias:
1. Lewis
2. Johns
3. Meninga
4. Sterling

The next lot are grouped together in no particular order:
5. Lockyer
6. Fittler
7. Daley
8. Lazarus - The rock on which six premierships were built.
9. Clyde - Took Price's perpetual motion and added power and drive in attack and defence.
10. Kenny - Silky smooth. Effortless.
11. Langer - Possibly should be higher, but it's hard to argue with those above.
12. Rogers - At centre, 5/8 and lock, he never had the benefit of great teammates.

As are the next lot:
13. Walters - Tractor by name and nature.
14. Graham - Better than any Australian opponents that the media idolised in his era.
15. Webcke - Proof that hard work can overcome a lack of outrageous talent.
16. Tallis - Raging Bull was a great moniker
17. Miles - I've had him higher for years. One of my favourites.
18. Hanley - May have ranked higher had he stayed here longer
19. Cronin - 4 premiership as the elder stateman of Parra's golden generation.
20. Ray Price - Another who showed what could be done with more heart than anything.
21. Mortimer - An attacking genius, an inspirational leader and a fine cover defender.

And these blokes make up the numbers:
22. Jack - I only saw Eadie near the end. Jack was a good hole runner but revolutionised the game by rolling players on their back as they seemed certain to score.
23. Harragon - Inspirational passion
24. Elias - Revolutionised the game with inventive dummy half play
25. Lamb - Not a great talent but a heart as big as Phar Lap's helped him bridge the gap.
26. Civoniceva - A quiet achiever. Consistent over a long period in the toughest position in the game..
27. Menzies - Zorba talked me into it.
28. Ettingshausen - At FB, centre or on the Rep wing, his longevity and sustained brilliance gets him a gig.
29. Lindner - One of my favourites, though I don't expect many will agree.
30. Roberts - Could have been even better if not hampered by so many injuries.

That`s a great list and I wouldn`t change much myself.

Juniors
why do people always focus these lists on retired players? sure they've had longer careers to accomplish more, but u tell me cameron smith int one of the finest players of the last 30 years and that'll be it, i mean he did more in 07 than alot of them players did in a career... nathan hindmarsh and matt bowen i also believe should be in there somewhere

_Johnsy

Referee
1999 said:
why do people always focus these lists on retired players? sure they've had longer careers to accomplish more, but u tell me cameron smith int one of the finest players of the last 30 years and that'll be it, i mean he did more in 07 than alot of them players did in a career... nathan hindmarsh and matt bowen i also believe should be in there somewhere

Look at this comment and then look at the list below, and you probably wonder why you are often ridiculed on these forums. You are an a grade clown, job well done :lol: :lol:
1. Lewis 2. Johns 3. Meninga 4. Sterling 5. Lockyer 6. Fittler 7. Daley 8. Lazarus 9. Clyde 10. Kenny 11. Langer 12. Rogers 13. Walters 14. Graham 15. Webcke 16. Tallis 17. Miles 18. Hanley 19. Cronin 20. Ray Price 21. Mortimer 22. Jack 23. Harragon 24. Elias 25. Lamb 26. Civoniceva 27. Menzies 28. Ettingshausen 29. Lindner 30. Roberts

Green Machine

First Grade
_Johnsy said:
Mate I am not. Saying the list is a joke shows your complete inability to respect anothers opinion.

I dont agree with some of the choices, I also think some of yours are ridiculous, but that's your opinion. I dont call yours a joke, why. Because to you they are valid. Try not to get too upset over someone elses choices. This type of list will always create contrversy and allegations of bias, just as you have shown in your posts.
Glass houses Johnsy?

_Johnsy

Referee
Mate I agree, but when a person says a current player had achieved more in one year than the players on the list provided over their careers, well that is just plain stupid.

Big difference between respecting someones opinion, and putting up with stupid commetns, re: the flag debate in 4c. IMO 1999's pearler qualifies

Hahaha kenny not even in the top 10 confirms to me that most of you on here and the f**kwits at RLW have no idea. Brett Kenny was the 5/8 of his generation ... Lewis had to play 3 games a year ... kenny was doing it week after week, year after year ... the supreme 5/8 and a far far far better player than lewis, daley, fittler ... in the 5m rule, against defences offside all day he still carved up

simon says

First Grade
themanonthehill said:
Hahaha kenny not even in the top 10 confirms to me that most of you on here and the f**kwits at RLW have no idea. Brett Kenny was the 5/8 of his generation ... Lewis had to play 3 games a year ... kenny was doing it week after week, year after year ... the supreme 5/8 and a far far far better player than lewis, daley, fittler ... in the 5m rule, against defences offside all day he still carved up

Kenny is the best 6 I have seen......he had a great body swerve......and the dummy after the body swerve,wowee.....Every GF he was scoring tries left right and centre.

Just for the record.....my top 4 is Sterling,Johns,Elias,Kenny.

Im not sure of the order.

The Preacher

First Grade
The King gets my vote, and I HATE f**king Qld. !!! 1999, you've got your head stuck up your blurter again !!!

Noa

First Grade
themanonthehill said:

Bit over the top.

Brett Kenny was my idol as a youngster but even I can admit he couldnt dominate a whole game like Lewis, Fitler or Daley could nor did he do it as consistently as them. Top 20 easily but top 10 is doubtful.

Latest posts