What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLWC Media Watch

some11

Referee
Looks like beetroot cheeks genius-at-large has written an article about soccer being bigger than NRL in Sydney.

Do you reckon the fossil even knows the World Cup is on?

evbbsx.jpg

Brutus

Referee
Rothfield has nothing. All he does is compare things to rugby league in order to bash rugby league.

He'll basically champion anything his fellow News Ltd Stooge Dillup Garrop is involved in.

Dillup umm ahh Garrup has done plenty for News over many years.

The Guardian thinks that the All Blacks are in town

The All Blacks and Sonny Bill Williams will be glad to see the back of Samoa and Warrington. The world champions marked their arrival in the tournament with a win after a ruthless early display of dazzling, attacking panache, but Samoa almost produced an unlikely comeback following a valiant second-half performance that greatly endeared them to the local support.

theguardian. com/sport/2013/oct/27/new-zealand-samoa-world-cup-match-report

:sarcasm:

hennessy

Juniors
I would love to watch the WC but I don't have digital TV, nor do my friends, so I was unable to watch what seems to a great game between England and Australia. Who had the brilliant idea of restricting access to games only to those with digital TV?

Western_Eel

Juniors
Anallogue TV will be disappeared in 2 months so about time you upgraded,
IMO I prefer it on 7 mate I love watching RL in HD

morningstar

Juniors
Brad Walter has a rant about the format of the tournament, and speculates about some new hokey eligibility rules that the RLIF have dreamed up.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-in-flawed-world-cup-draw-20131028-2wb15.html

Seems pretty straight forward to me, if you want to be in the seeded pools you need to be a higher ranked nation. To do that you have to organise and participate in more international tournaments in between world cups, you can't seed a tournament based on what sides might potentially be able to field. Tonga & Italy have only themselves to blame.

Unimpressed that they are changing the one nation per world cup cycle rule just so the big three can cherry pick a "minnow" player after a fluke season and then discard them back to the minnows.

Last edited:
I would love to watch the WC but I don't have digital TV, nor do my friends, so I was unable to watch what seems to a great game between England and Australia. Who had the brilliant idea of restricting access to games only to those with digital TV?

Analogue TV is being switched off very shortly. It already has in some markets.

Time to invest in a $50 set top box.

LJC

Juniors
Australia V England was the highest rating show for sport on TV outside of car racing in the 5 capital cities over the weekend despite its 12.30am Sunday timeslot! It beat the A League soccer derby in Sydney at 7.30pm with 169,000 viewers compared to 101,000 viewers'

RL take a bow.

These are significant numbers given the time differences.

Last edited:

Pig Champion

Juniors
I went out, bought a $200 digital PVR with 300 hrs of recording time, dead simple to work, recording every game to watch at my leisure if too hard to get up in the middle of the night. Too easy.

Mr Twig

Australia V England was the highest rating show for sport on TV in the 5 capital cities over the weekend despite its 12.30am Sunday timeslot! It beat the A League soccer derby in Sydney at 7.30pm with 169,000 viewers compared to 101,000 viewers'

It was beaten by the V8 Supercars Gold Coast 600 (637,000) and the Indian F1 Grand Prix (283,000).

Last edited:

LJC

Juniors
It was beaten by the V8 Supercars Gold Coast 600 (637,000) and the Indian F1 Grand Prix (283,000).

Corrected.

Actually thought about the car racing but forgot to mention it. RL beat all other team sports on TV that are played on fields.

Thanks

Misanthrope

Staff member
Just for the lols, I wrote a pair of politely worded but aggressive emails to ESPN.com and CNN.com's World Sport about their lack of coverage for the tournament and their own national team's performance.

I'm not expecting a response and I'm definitely not expecting them to do anything, but it can't hurt to remind them of their insular ignorance.

Latest posts