What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rnd 1 vs Warriors

phantom eel

First Grade
They should have started the competition this weekend, start of March. With the exception of one match they're all evening/night games now anyway.

Can't believe there's another week to wait until kick off!

Forty20

First Grade
LOOK OUT! HERE COMES FOLAU
Eels set to unleash Izzy's kid brother on the Warriors
Tony Adams & Joel Gould

The younger brother of dual international Israel Folau is a chance of winning a spot in Parramatta's team for their season-opener.

John Folau, a talented 19-year-old center or winger, has been a standout in the Eels' preseason and Nines campaign and has won over new coach Brad Arthur. "John is a good kid with a great attitude and I can see him playing first grade this year," Arthur says. "The question is do we use him now or down the track and that is one of many issues I have to address over the next few days."

Arthur may give Folau the nod over some more experienced players to combat the Warriors' massive outside backs. The Warriors sent a clear warning of their intentions when they steamrolled the Broncos 48-4 last weekend and Arthur watched every minute of it. "They were impressive, for sure," he says. "They are such a big, strong side and so hard to stop when they get on a roll."

The younger Folau weighs 99KG - three less than his illustrious brother - and stands at 190CM, three short of Israel. He made the most of the open spaces in the Nines and also played solidly in the trial loss to Manly last weekend

RLW, February 27, Pgs 4-5

The article also goes on to chat to Brett Kenny about how having to play in the NSW Cup to start the year could be the making of Chris Sandow. He is fairly reasonable in what he says, which is a pleasant surprise.

Gronk

Staff member
If they are contemplating Folau vs Vai Tautai, then Folau gets my vote.

Ryan Morgan should be ahead of Izzy2 however.

Avenger

Immortal
I've always rated John Folau. Graceful and coordinated athlete unlike Morgan who looks like a frightened child running with his shoes laces tied together.

Eels Dude

Coach
Morgan's a solid centre but I don't think he'll add much value playing on the wing. I'd be going with Sio and Radradra, even though the latter still has a lot to learn he can at least match it in size with the Warriors.

Joely01

Bench
Ive said for the last 1-2 weeks now that Folau has had the advantage for the other wing spot.

Im expecting to see Sio and Folau wingers round 1.

emjaycee

Coach
Was talking to someone last night who is pretty close to the club and he likes Hunt for a round 1 wing spot. I dont know whether Hunt is injured or not but if not this could be on the money.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Isn't falou a centre normally? Many don't reckon morgan should be picked as he is centre. So why would we pick a rookie centre at wing over Morgan who has nrl experience ?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Isn't falou a centre normally? Many don't reckon morgan should be picked as he is centre. So why would we pick a rookie centre at wing over Morgan who has nrl experience ?

It's not that Morgan 'isn't a winger', but rather that he offers little on the wing due to his size.

John Folau is a big tall merkin, meaning he would probably go better on the wing than at centre.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
It's not that Morgan 'isn't a winger', but rather that he offers little on the wing due to his size.

John Folau is a big tall merkin, meaning he would probably go better on the wing than at centre.

I agree physically folau is better suited to the wing then morgan but he is also a rookie. Just like how Vai deputed last and made a lot of mistakes , I don't see falou being any better at this early stage of his career (not saying he won't have a successful career but).

So if I had a choice between an experience player in morgan and a rookie I would chose morgan. Morgan may not be an ideal winger but he will be defensively strong and have no problems scoring tries. While a rookie is certain to make quite a few errors.

Latest posts