What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Robert Lui???

The Rosco

Bench
If we can teach Lui to tackle, the rest should fall into place.
He has the natural instinct for dummying, kicking, slight of hand, decoys, etc, etc.
Defending doesn't seem to come naturally to him.

His team mates seem happy with his work. At the end of the day, they have their fingers on the pulse.They are the first grade footballers . . . we are mere keyboard champions.

His defence has improved.
I will happily eat a big serve of humble pie if his improvement continues at this rate. :D
Especially if he lights up this finals series.

R2Coupe

Juniors
The ball playing was outstanding tonight. Commitment in defence and when he decides to go, he is very hard to pull down. Well done Rob.

PaddyBoy

Juniors
Lui tonight Tigers fans, was gold, apart from that one "kick" (first half, barely crosses the Dragons 40m from just behind his own) but Benji's kicking was pretty dodgy too. Held the ball up well for the winning try. People are way too harsh on emerging halves, as if they are all going to dominate from day one, Cherry-Evans style.

Lui = solid player, and top bloke from all accounts. By no means the finished product, and no-one from Toyota Cup can tackle, it's why we need reserve grade back again.

Tigerm

First Grade
Lui tonight Tigers fans, was gold, apart from that one "kick" (first half, barely crosses the Dragons 40m from just behind his own) but Benji's kicking was pretty dodgy too. Held the ball up well for the winning try. People are way too harsh on emerging halves, as if they are all going to dominate from day one, Cherry-Evans style.

Lui = solid player, and top bloke from all accounts. By no means the finished product, and no-one from Toyota Cup can tackle, it's why we need reserve grade back again.
Sorry Paddy, but you say people are way to harsh, yet you want to criticise one kick???
Lui has improved out of sight for mine, but early to mid season he was very ordinary & IMO didn't deserve to be in the team, but what do I know, he is back to last seasons form ( thank christ).
Most if not all, have recognised that, so I don't really think you are correct with your analysis?

R2Coupe

Juniors
Lui played his role by taking the attention from Marshall. He was there to pass for Moltzen for the Ryan try and again for Heighington.

To be able to consistenly break the line and ball play at the line indicates an outstanding talent. Sheens stuck with him because he knows we need him to have any chance in the finals.

westie

Bench
I wonder if I've been too harsh on Bobby Pui. Heighington charging through certainly made his ball playing look a lot better than when he just has to dish it out to Ayshford jogging on the spot. Thinking back, when Utai dropped into centre a few weeks back, he looked damaging too.

Maybe it's just working with Ayshford who doesn't seem to understand what a hole is, let alone want to enter it.

PaddyBoy

Juniors
Sorry Paddy, but you say people are way to harsh, yet you want to criticise one kick???
Lui has improved out of sight for mine, but early to mid season he was very ordinary & IMO didn't deserve to be in the team, but what do I know, he is back to last seasons form ( thank christ).
Most if not all, have recognised that, so I don't really think you are correct with your analysis?

I pointed out the kick, as people would have pointed it out if I claimed all roses. I stand by it, we are too hard on young halves, most if not all will hit their stride in their mid twenties, and Lui is a good un'. I really rate the kid, and while he probably won't be great, he's a solid option, and you won't afford better while Marshall is in the team, which is the price you pay for having the best five-eighth in the world on your books.

Either that or have some dodgy plodding forwards, terrible fullback or a blind hooker.

chunk

Juniors
Us winning just covers up Lui's hopelessness.

He is a turnstile in defense and an outside centre in attack.

He offers nil, nothing, zip, nada.

Count how many times he handles the ball in our come from behind role.

Benji is our 6 and 7 and our everything, Lui is a passenger, I was there tonight and watched him closely.

He is atrocious.

:lol:

chunk

Juniors
When his attack scores more points than it concedes, I'll happily drop the criticisms of him.

But that has only happened maybe three times in his career.

FFS last night Moltzen made Lui look like a shithouse defender. Lui even fell off tackles when there were two players already tackling the ball carrier.

This is not just a technique issue.

He has no heart. No balls, No courage.

He's scared. He's fearful. He's a f**king softcock whimp.

People can bang on about other poor defenders in the game that are halves, but the point we've all been making is that Lui DOES NOT EVEN f**kING BOTHER TRYING TO MAKE TACKLES

Every other half in the game has a crack, even Sandow the Turnstile.

I'd rather Lui got dropped. If he has no confidence after 36 NRL games in just over 2 years, then he'll never have any.

:lol:

.................never have any confidence"

d***head

Tigers Tale

Juniors
Initally I totally supported Lui's position in the team. Guys like Farah, Marshall and Payten were sigining his praises so I had faith in their ability to pick a good prospect. I'll also go on record as saying there was a time during the season where I was calling for his head and most deservedly so.

I think every supporter is now happy his form has turned around and he is now showing his potential however the season is not over and I think it is more a case everyone in the team stood up. I just don't want to speak too soon.

Still, he is now showing plenty of ability so while I bagged off at him I am prepared to eat a piece of humble pie...but don't let me down in the next few weeks.

We as supporters (bloggers) say things that might be relevant at the time and history proves us to be wrong, we accept that but there isn't really a need to make points on it...just accept it and move on.

Chunk, believe me no one is happier than MU and myself re Bob Lui.

I even posted a few weeks back that he was an integral part of our unit moving forward.

But when we were criticizing him, he deserved.

Anyone can drag posts from the past and they say ha ha, told you so.

Let's be happy here that me and MU don't coach.

Let's win this thing.

Tiger05

First Grade
I've always wanted Lui to come good but there were times this year when they had to sack him and Sheensy didn't. In hindsight it was the right call.

It's no different to Moltzen, many people here including me were commenting on his play, taking the ball from kicks and simply passing to his wingers and we were saying that he 'won't have a go' letting kicks bounce and what were we saying?

The last couple of weeks, like Lui, he has changed the thoughts of many.

Last night he ran the ball back with speed, Boyd use to do that and he hasn't lately. Moltzen took a good bomb last night, spun as he hit the ground and then ran the ball.

Confidence, what a great thing it is and it is what the 17 last night have at the moment, yeah even Utai.

b.bear

Juniors
IMO, the talk of Lui deserving his spot in the team is getting boring ,if people cant see his value and potential by now ,I think it's time to take those blinkers off and get real.

TiggaPlease

Lui loves the finals, doesn't he. 2nd year in a row he's gone to another level. Looks like a completely different player.

westie

Bench
Any coincidence it's when our pack fires up and the team as a whole lifts for the big games? He was balls in the first half and good in the second. It's either his fault we were shit and his fault we came good, or totally down to Benji. I believe it was the latter.

Plays with the space given to him and quality around him. If we were consistently belting teams, he'd go great guns. It doesn't happen though. If Farah and the big dudes hadn't kept us alive until Benji got his shit together, we'd all be carving him up for not doing anything to arrest the slide.

Tiger05

First Grade
Any coincidence it's when our pack fires up and the team as a whole lifts for the big games? He was balls in the first half and good in the second. It's either his fault we were shit and his fault we came good, or totally down to Benji. I believe it was the latter.

Plays with the space given to him and quality around him. If we were consistently belting teams, he'd go great guns. It doesn't happen though. If Farah and the big dudes hadn't kept us alive until Benji got his shit together, we'd all be carving him up for not doing anything to arrest the slide.

You make a good point - Benji was pretty bad in the first half. When Benji got it together Lui played well.

Still Lui has to make those big plays - the pass to Heighno was perfect.