What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Robert Lui???

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Westie, I think you need to take a look at a few stats in regards to Lui:

- Try assists
- Line breaks
- Line break assists

Then compare that to all other halfbacks in the comp. I think you will be surprised.

Magpie Tragic

Juniors
Apologies if this is old news

http://www.weststigers.com.au/defau...y&id=43402&title=rob-lui-remains-the-man-at-7

ROB LUI REMAINS THE MAN AT 7
By Wayne Cousins
10/09/2011 4:46:23 PM
A dominant performance in the win over St George-Illawarra again showed why Robert Lui is the man for the number seven jersey at Wests Tigers.
Lui was on song at ANZ Stadium on Friday night, having a strong hand in tries to Beau Ryan and Chris Heighington.
His form again highlighted the faith Head Coach Tim Sheens has in the talented playmaker and why Tim Moltzen was moved to full-back.
Lui’s efforts again silenced his critics and again pledged his alliance to Wests Tigers following a newspaper report linking him to the North Queensland Cowboys.
“I don’t worry about what people say. Tim told me he wanted me in the number 7,’’ Lui said.
“I know I am the number one half-back here at the Wests Tigers. I don’t know where the rumours of me going to the Cowboys came from but I’m not going anywhere. I love the Club and they have been very good to me. I’m staying at the Wests Tigers.”
Lui’s performance in the first qualifying final was reminiscent to his solid showing against the Dragons 12 months ago when beaten in the preliminary final. He says enjoys playing the men in red and white.
“I don’t know why, it is just a thing. Maybe because they beat us last year. I just wanted to beat them, that’s all,’’ Lui said.
“Any team wants to beat the opposition in semi-finals footy.
“It was good to get a win. The Dragons are a top team but at the end of the day, the boys stuck in. We all did our one per centers.
“Last year’s final was in the back of our minds when things were down. The boys were saying ‘remember this, remember that’.
“Our defence won us the game. It was a good win but there is still a long way to go.”
As for his beautiful short ball to Heighington, Lui recalled it with a smile.
“Benji just called a play. I went out the back and had options, short or long, and I hit short. I hit the right bloke,’’ Lui said.
“It was all in one moment. It was like a blurb but plays like that can win you games. And it won us the game.”

westie

Bench
Westie, I think you need to take a look at a few stats in regards to Lui:

- Try assists
- Line breaks
- Line break assists

Then compare that to all other halfbacks in the comp. I think you will be surprised.

Unlikely to be surprised. My negative opinion isn't based on those things. At this point in time, he can't tackle and isn't there when the going is tough. That's probably not such a bad thing for a guy his age. I think the thing that annoys me more than anything is the ludicrous wraps he gets.

I also, obviously, have always enjoyed a REAL half. Someone that organises, kicks, passes, can tackle etc. I think it would unleash Benji to do his own thing more. Sheens obviously doesn't see it like that and prefers a win big or lose big two 5/8s system.

TimmyB

Juniors
How many times have we lost big with Lui and Marshall together this year?

"Sheens obviously doesn't see it that way". Seriously, what credentials do you have to exhibit such condescension?

westie

Bench
How many times have we lost big with Lui and Marshall together this year?

"Sheens obviously doesn't see it that way". Seriously, what credentials do you have to exhibit such condescension?

My credentials? Eyes maybe.

I didn't say he was wrong, just noted that's the way he likes to do it. It's working for him at the moment. What's got you so upset? A chill pill might be in order, mate.

It's undeniable that we go through weeks of being absolutely awful. And then we get on runs like this of winning what, 9 in a row?

By lose big, I perhaps wasn't referring to the scoreline, but the performance. Our pack, and Farah are too good to see us smashed. Best example was just last week. Benji was just having one of those games where everything went wrong. Lui was no where to be seen.

An out and out half may have taken the footy, driven it down town, lead a chase a few times. Maybe laid on a nice pass or two to have the Dragons under pressure. As it was, Lui wasn't involved, and when he was he kicks smacked of a dude feeling the heat. 20m dribblers heading sideways etc.

If our pack wasn't f**king brilliant we'd have been down by a thouuuusand. As it was, Sheens and everyone else acknowledged we should have been down by 20.

As I said, I'd have preferred a half who could have managed that period and maybe pulled Benji out of it earlier. To counter that, you've got to take into account the salary cap and that we can't have everything. Lui is young and will mature, obviously.

I'm obviously a Miller fan, but regardless... I can't help but think that if he'd spent all year in FG, he'd have been a much better bet when we were under the pump. Sure, his running game isn't as good, but he's not shy of laying on a try, and his short kicking game is certainly a lot more mature, already. A few repeat sets wouldn't have gone astray.

super_coach

First Grade
Lui, like last year is shinning at the right end of the season. With age and experience he should be able to carry his form over the whole season, but like most young players he has struggled with the weekly grind of the NRL. The good thing where plenty kids perish at the money end of the season, Lui has kicked to another level. It has to be noted that their are plenty of forwards around him that have also kicked to another level making life a much easier a rookie half

chunk

Juniors
and what did I say that was out of order?

As I said, when his attack provides up with more points than his defence concedes I will drop all criticisms of him.

And as I've said a number of time sover the past month, his defence has improved a lot since he was paired up with Fulton. He hasn't been playing as a halfback either over the last month, more of a running five-eighth, which is his natural position. If he were faster and had a bit mroe size, he'd make a good attacking centre, he knows how to run at gaps and he has a good short passing game.

Being a moderator has f**k all to do with anything I posted. The fact you brought that up is just nonsensical f**kwittery.

Am I not allowed to voice my opinion because I'm a moderator? Since when did you become the authority who I must abide by.

You can shove that part of your argument fair up your arse. Dickhead.

Just my opinion

Are you a bit angry brother

westie

Bench
Anyway, like I was saying. When we need a half to control a game and lay on some trys, he doesn't seem to be able to do it. That he again jersey grabbed Mateo at a crucial point of the game to concede a try that basically lost us the season was no surprise.

N.C.

Juniors
In fairness it was a pretty good pass to Mateo that completely wrong footed him. On the other hand, he should have played his man and not the ball when defending that close to the line...

hybrid_tiger

Coach
His defense was back to poor last night.

However IMO he did more than Benji in that second half. Fair to say Benji went missing, and not for the first time either.

Blackdiamond

Juniors
Before we get started on the Lui cost us the game crap. He did get beaten by Mateo on the inside shoulder. Mateo was one fire last night BTW & very hard to stop. I think there were 36 other missed tackles which may well have helped contribute to the loss?

simmo1

First Grade
Mateo always carves us. God help us if him and Pritchard ever play in the same team against us.

That he again jersey grabbed Mateo at a crucial point of the game to concede a try that basically lost us the season was no surprise.
Westie, that basically lost us the season !!!! you have got to be kidding.

We were still in from with 2 minutes something to go. Plenty if only, what about and it should have been with the last try but we can't change that but I will see, the Inu try had nothing to do with Lui and I'm certainly not blaming Chris, Tim & Lote for the try.

But will say now thanks for the 17 who played last night and the extra 2 who were part of the squad and were there in the warm up.

Blackdiamond

Juniors
For me, we had it won & just needed to close out that last set with a decent kick into the corners or even into touch. But we chanced our arm & went through the hands on the 5th only to turn it over giving up cheap meters. We were in front & did not need to score. Live by the sword, die by the sword I guess?

Latest posts