What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Robert Lui???

chunk

Juniors
Chunk, believe me no one is happier than MU and myself re Bob Lui.

I even posted a few weeks back that he was an integral part of our unit moving forward.

But when we were criticizing him, he deserved.

Anyone can drag posts from the past and they say ha ha, told you so.

Let's be happy here that me and MU don't coach.

Let's win this thing.

Fair enough I know its all about opinions but I thought some people were a bit over the top with their criticism of a young guy, who plays in the hardest position, who is going to be targeted but has shown glimpses that he will be a very good player.

He deserved some more time and faith

IMO the moderator was way over the top with some of the things he said

Blackdiamond

Juniors
I will put my hand up & say I am & have always been a fan of Lui. Until recently, I think he has suffered to find his role in team. By playing inside a 9 & outside a 6, who are the stars of the team & who dominate the calls; it would be very difficult for any halfback. His role is very different to most halfbacks.
The skill, vision & long kicking game is there. His defence has improved greatly & the stats from the past few weeks show that opposition teams are sending plenty of traffic his way. In his defence, there are many 6's & 7's in the NRL that top the missed tackles each week. Lui is not one of them.
I like when he & Farah combine to get the ball wide & fast to Marshall who then troubles the fringes. I also like his ability to take on the line, especially when there is nothing on offer.
Hopefully the supporters can realise that he is here to stay & get in & support Lui, rather than constantly bagging him when there is not another tested better option.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Any coincidence it's when our pack fires up and the team as a whole lifts for the big games? He was balls in the first half and good in the second. It's either his fault we were shit and his fault we came good, or totally down to Benji. I believe it was the latter.

Plays with the space given to him and quality around him. If we were consistently belting teams, he'd go great guns. It doesn't happen though. If Farah and the big dudes hadn't kept us alive until Benji got his shit together, we'd all be carving him up for not doing anything to arrest the slide.
Wrong. I heard Benji interviewed on ABC Grandstand & he said that he was playing poorly until Lui stepped up & took some pressure off him. So it was the other way around.

westie

Bench
I may be wrong, but that would also make Benji wrong. His article in the herald would suggest the opposite over 700 words.

They talk Lui up every week to try and get his confidence up. Even when he has a stinker they'll say he had a great week at training. I'll take note of Benji's real summary of the game and his performance, rather than a post match talk up.

chunk

Juniors
he is not even a 7....

Mods are allowed to have opinions

"When his attack scores more points than it concedes, I'll happily drop the criticisms of him.

But that has only happened maybe three times in his career.

FFS last night Moltzen made Lui look like a shithouse defender. Lui even fell off tackles when there were two players already tackling the ball carrier.

This is not just a technique issue.

He has no heart. No balls, No courage.

He's scared. He's fearful. He's a f**king softcock whimp.

People can bang on about other poor defenders in the game that are halves, but the point we've all been making is that Lui DOES NOT EVEN f**kING BOTHER TRYING TO MAKE TACKLES

Every other half in the game has a crack, even Sandow the Turnstile.

I'd rather Lui got dropped. If he has no confidence after 36 NRL games in just over 2 years, then he'll never have any" Quote

Madunit

Of course they are...

And this is towards our young halfback who is trying to win us a comp

Ron's_Mate

Bench
I may be wrong, but that would also make Benji wrong. His article in the herald would suggest the opposite over 700 words.

They talk Lui up every week to try and get his confidence up. Even when he has a stinker they'll say he had a great week at training. I'll take note of Benji's real summary of the game and his performance, rather than a post match talk up.
Newspaper columns by players are ghost-written by journos. Everyone knows that. Benji probably doesn't even read it.

macnaz

Staff member
Agree Chunk -Westie FMD !!! Lets get a bit of perspective here !!
Lui has been playing f**king shit all year and now he is playing PRETTY GOOD .... NO more or NO less. We dont need to start blowing our load because he is actualy doing what the f**k he is supposed to do!

Last edited:

westie

Bench
Hey, I'm no Lui fan. He was tits in the first half when we needed him, and looked like a first grader in the second half when we were romping. That everyone is stoked he set up a try shows just how bad he's been all year.

Re: the ghostwriting. Of course it's ghost written. And of course that means Benji prepares the content and even the jokes. Why you think Benji would allow someone to write a column purporting to be his opinion and feelings on things such as his court case is beyond me.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Hey, I'm no Lui fan. He was tits in the first half when we needed him, and looked like a first grader in the second half when we were romping. That everyone is stoked he set up a try shows just how bad he's been all year.

Re: the ghostwriting. Of course it's ghost written. And of course that means Benji prepares the content and even the jokes. Why you think Benji would allow someone to write a column purporting to be his opinion and feelings on things such as his court case is beyond me.
You've got no idea. First, Lui is a great half. At least the coach & players know that, even if you don't. Second, most of those columns are 100% written by some journo. The players don't care as long as they get paid and the writing presents them in a good light.

westie

Bench
You've got no idea. First, Lui is a great half. At least the coach & players know that, even if you don't. Second, most of those columns are 100% written by some journo. The players don't care as long as they get paid and the writing presents them in a good light.

Sorry, I'll be sure to look into journalism and Sydney's Herald sport a bit more. Clearly I've got no idea. :lol:

westie

Bench
Forgot to actually address what you said, so flabbergasted was I with your other remark.

Lui may or may not be a great half, that's up to each of us. As it is, the guy is a contender for the worst defender in the NRL.

We're also having a national celebration because he finally set up a try in a carve up. That's more of an indication than anything, I think.

westie

Bench
This is probably the most relevant thread.

I like reading between the lines of what Farah and Marshall say, especially when it comes to their trying to pump up Moltzen and Lui.

It's amusing how they'll change tact across the course of a few weeks. E.g. When they talk up how good Lui is going, how he's started bossing them around blah blah blah, pump his tires, give him confidence etc. A few weeks later he'll have a genuinely good game and they'll say that it was a much better performance and that he finally starting doing all the stuff they'd said he was doing consistently for the year.

Note: I've got no problem with this, it's actually a good thing. I just find it interesting.

Anyway, as told to club PR man Glenn Jackson, here's Benji Marshall vaguely referring to the fact that Moltzen had no confidence bringing the ball back or getting under a bomb: For the record, he's still dicey under the high ball, for mine.

''He's running the ball back hard, he's running with confidence, he's looking confident, he's taking bombs confidently,'' Marshall said. ''Confidence is a big part of rugby league."

I just find it amusing that Benji always talks Moltzen up deluxe, then vaguely infers that he wasn't good under the ball and didn't want to take kick returns.

Das Hassler

Bench
Lui's defence will be a work in progress for some time that's for sure...as is Marshall's..Ayshford's and some may have forgotten it also took Lawrence a little while (actually a long time) to get it together...but one attacking weapon Lui is fast aquiring is respect with the ball in his hands from the..OPPOSITION...more and more they are starting to stand back and wait for him...he has speed.. now he's also getting time and space to work in ...things can develop exponentially from there

Last edited:

R2Coupe

Juniors
Forgot to actually address what you said, so flabbergasted was I with your other remark.

Lui may or may not be a great half, that's up to each of us. As it is, the guy is a contender for the worst defender in the NRL.

We're also having a national celebration because he finally set up a try in a carve up. That's more of an indication than anything, I think.

First time I had known a great half is defined by the opinions of a few supporters!

As for setting up a try, he has set up quite a few.

Lui after Farah had thrown the pass which lead to the second Sharks' try, did gesticulate to Farah about his play. Farah acknowledged his error.

If you're going to have a dig at him, at least make it a credible attack.

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
First time I had known a great half is defined by the opinions of a few supporters!

As for setting up a try, he has set up quite a few.

Lui after Farah had thrown the pass which lead to the second Sharks' try, did gesticulate to Farah about his play. Farah acknowledged his error.

If you're going to have a dig at him, at least make it a credible attack.
I think "great" may be a bit premature, but IMO he has certainly improved his game from his mid-season efforts?

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Fair enough I know its all about opinions but I thought some people were a bit over the top with their criticism of a young guy, who plays in the hardest position, who is going to be targeted but has shown glimpses that he will be a very good player.

He deserved some more time and faith

IMO the moderator was way over the top with some of the things he said
and what did I say that was out of order?

As I said, when his attack provides up with more points than his defence concedes I will drop all criticisms of him.

And as I've said a number of time sover the past month, his defence has improved a lot since he was paired up with Fulton. He hasn't been playing as a halfback either over the last month, more of a running five-eighth, which is his natural position. If he were faster and had a bit mroe size, he'd make a good attacking centre, he knows how to run at gaps and he has a good short passing game.

Being a moderator has f**k all to do with anything I posted. The fact you brought that up is just nonsensical f**kwittery.

Am I not allowed to voice my opinion because I'm a moderator? Since when did you become the authority who I must abide by.

You can shove that part of your argument fair up your arse. Dickhead.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
"When his attack scores more points than it concedes, I'll happily drop the criticisms of him.

But that has only happened maybe three times in his career.

FFS last night Moltzen made Lui look like a shithouse defender. Lui even fell off tackles when there were two players already tackling the ball carrier.

This is not just a technique issue.

He has no heart. No balls, No courage.

He's scared. He's fearful. He's a f**king softcock whimp.

People can bang on about other poor defenders in the game that are halves, but the point we've all been making is that Lui DOES NOT EVEN f**kING BOTHER TRYING TO MAKE TACKLES

Every other half in the game has a crack, even Sandow the Turnstile.

I'd rather Lui got dropped. If he has no confidence after 36 NRL games in just over 2 years, then he'll never have any" Quote

Madunit

Of course they are...

And this is towards our young halfback who is trying to win us a comp
Again, what does my moderator status have to do with my opinion on a player?

If you don't want to read posts critical of players, go to that other forum where everyone stands in a circle and wanks each other off.