What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Robert Lui???

Mascot Tiger

Juniors
Surely he has to be sacked? not a good look when you beat up a female. He will now surely head up to Nth QLD.
Unsure with miller yet. feel he is too young to be thrown in the spotlight. Would gladly take Carney if we get him on the cheap lol

macnaz

Staff member
As i said i think a full off season with Miller and GIVE HIM THE SAME free ride to develope that Lui was given he will be more than good enough i think.

Tiger05

First Grade
He has to go doesn't he.

I like him as a player and although it is probably politically incorrect but he might have grown up seeing that sort of stuff and therefore it just happens. The second politically incorrect point is that he might be able to stop it with proper counselling and help.

In saying that the point remains - he has to go. It isn't acceptable that every time the season ends he takes it out on his girlfriend.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
It will be interesting to see how WT management handle this. We have developed a very good reputation with little real trouble amongst the playing roster and their greater outside football lives. I dont think it will be acceptable for WT to brush things aside like Roosters seem to have done so often with their wayward players before eventually acting and sacking them.

Lui deserved a chance- he got it last time and was supported by the club. This time? Who knows. I think not, he has blown it, but then again WT under Sheens seem to have placed all their options with Lui as halfback. Has he become too precious for them now to loose? I hope not. After proper investigation by the club as to what happened, if shown to be at fault, with his now known form, Lui should be shown the door. Dont wait on the legal system or police investigation as a sop to doing anything.

BuffaloRules

Coach
I think he should go, however it looks like they set a precedent last time where they waited to see what happened, and the charges ended up being dropped....

Can they get rid of him this time before the investigation and trial have run their course?

Magpies Forever

Juniors
I think he should go, however it looks like they set a precedent last time where they waited to see what happened, and the charges ended up being dropped....

Can they get rid of him this time before the investigation and trial have run their course?

There is a big difference between actually doing the deed and able to be tried for it such as level of co-operation with the police and the courts by the victim and/or witnesses is crucial eg Greg Bird case his girlfriend refused to give evidence or co-op with police, so did Anthony Watts girlfriend.

Thats why I'd be using the bringing the club into adverse publicity etc avenue rather than waiting for the actual police results and/or court outcome both of which can take a very, very long time. I believe Lui's girlfriend stood by him last time, if the person that copped it a second time does so too- more fool them, but WT should not be hamstrung in acting on the legal technicalities of waiting for police action and court outcomes. If WT internal investigation shows he did it, immaterial of circumstances, then he should be punted.

macnaz

Staff member
There is a big difference between actually doing the deed and able to be tried for it such as level of co-operation with the police and the courts by the victim and/or witnesses is crucial eg Greg Bird case his girlfriend refused to give evidence or co-op with police, so did Anthony Watts girlfriend.

Thats why I'd be using the bringing the club into adverse publicity etc avenue rather than waiting for the actual police results and/or court outcome both of which can take a very, very long time. I believe Lui's girlfriend stood by him last time, if the person that copped it a second time does so too- more fool them, but WT should not be hamstrung in acting on the legal technicalities of waiting for police action and court outcomes. If WT internal investigation shows he did it, immaterial of circumstances, then he should be punted.
No the club can not come to their own conclussions on his guilt, If the club were to sack him believing in all fairness he is guilty and a court eventualy finds otherwise it opens the door for legal action against WT.
I wish it could happen as you have described , sooner the prick is gone the better.

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
He doesn't like losing finals matches eh...

The club can't sack him for beating his missus without the courts doing there their thing...or can they? Surely since this is the second time there must be some available action they can take for repeatedly bringing the club into disrepute. Roosters sacked Watts before he went to court. Roosters aren't always the best example...but it depends on the situation. I've been reasonably happy with how they've dealt with things, taking into account my expectations as a fan both on field and off field.

Last edited:

Magpies Forever

Juniors
No the club can not come to their own conclussions on his guilt, If the club were to sack him believing in all fairness he is guilty and a court eventualy finds otherwise it opens the door for legal action against WT.
I wish it could happen as you have described .

True, but they would not be sacking him for the action - outcomes of which still have to run their course, they would be sacking him for bringing the club into disrepute through adverse publicity. Yes, WT would have to pay some form of compensation for his residual contract worth now but I'd rather that than have the **%%** remaining on WT roster and blighting our good reputation even if he is suspended pending legal outcomes.

There are ways of making unwelcome people go, the corporate world does it all the time. We've all seen and heard of it eg take the offer and go or else.

WT should not be frightened to make a stand on principle. We are a proud, and generally happy, family orientated club.

macnaz

Staff member
He doesn't like losing finals matches eh...

Surely since this is the second time there must be some available action they can take for repeatedly bringing the club into disrepute. .
I guess the thing is Adam, until the full facts are produced and a court decission handed down , Lui could for instance claim he has a drug dependant partner WHO makes up crap, there for its NOT ME bringing the club into disrepute. Anyway i hope WT have their ppl looking for a way around it so they can piss him off.

AceAv

Juniors
Has he become too precious for them now to loose? I hope not.

It's happened at the very end of the season. Tigers will find a much better replacement!! He has never been very consistent for you guys and his "demons" are obviously why.

He will be playing in the reserve grade for NSW cup for a year I think...

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
He hasn't had a contract extension yet that I'm aware of. I thought he was up for renewal this season.

Might be a simple case of simply not offerring him a new contract.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
May need verification, but I think these players contracts end this year (and as yet, they haven't had contract extensions)

Keith Galloway
Robert Lui
Taniela Tuiaki
Mitch Brown
Geoff Daniela
Mark Flanagan
Junior Moors
Simon Dwyer

f**k him off. Got the benefit of the doubt first time. Not this time.

Stoked if Carney comes in and can get his shit together. Worth a shot IMO.

As mentioned, pick up Dugan.....wow, that really is premiership material.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Keith Galloway - extend his contract
Robert Lui - sack
Taniela Tuiaki - either he returns or he is off contract, frees up more cap space
Mitch Brown - extend his contract
Geoff Daniela - release
Mark Flanagan - going home I think?
Junior Moors - release
Simon Dwyer - released, but the Tigers should find a way, with the NRL to pay him something while he recovers from his injury, and not have it included in the salary cap.

Only 2 on that list to be kept, with a slight increase in their salary, should leave us enough to sign one more big name player. I'd be inclined to go after a fullback first

Bench
Robert Lui - sack
Taniela Tuiaki - either he returns or he is off contract, frees up more cap space
Geoff Daniela - release
Junior Moors - release
Simon Dwyer - released, but the Tigers should find a way, with the NRL to pay him something while he recovers from his injury, and not have it included in the salary cap.

Only 2 on that list to be kept, with a slight increase in their salary, should leave us enough to sign one more big name player. I'd be inclined to go after a fullback first
Galloway extended his contract to 2013 or 2014,Brown extended to 2012 and Lui is also 2012,but he should be sacked.

cb4

First Grade
Robert Lui - sack
Geoff Daniela - release
Junior Moors - release

While I do agree and sympathise for young Simon, the NRL told us we had to cut John Mannah when he had cancer, or keep him on the books.

Latest posts