What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Robert Lui???

super_coach

First Grade
Hard to believe anyone could be so stupid, I feel sorry for the club that now has to go into damage control to this matter is resolved. I dont know the facts so I will let the court system come up with a verdict, but to even put himself in the same situation two years in a row deserves strong action from the club

N.C.

Juniors
He hasn't had a contract extension yet that I'm aware of. I thought he was up for renewal this season.

Might be a simple case of simply not offerring him a new contract.
From memory we tried to tie him up long-term but he decided he would test the market for 2013 and beyond.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
While I do agree and sympathise for young Simon, the NRL told us we had to cut John Mannah when he had cancer, or keep him on the books.
See I think thats bullshit.

If a player has some serious condition/injury that will clearly prevent them from playing any League at any level at all for a year, the NRL should look after their salary and its shouldn't be part of a salary cap.

I'm not talking about shoulder and knee reco's that happen from time to time, but the severely serious ones that can leave a player potentially unemployed as a player, ever again.

Juniors
That rumour just won't go away.......as much as I loved him when he was at WT I'm undecided whether he would still be good for us???:?

What if the only choice was between Lui having charges dropped prior to Rd 1 and Prince on crutches ??? I'll take Princes missus over Lui right now.

Could be good for Miller to be around Prince (or any other experienced halfback) for a couple seasons.

I cant see him leaving Gold Coast though, besides he's signed till 2015 or so isnt he??

adamkungl

Immortal
Prince is pretty average lately...hasn't offered much this year. And if possible his turnstile defence is actually getting worse.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
People need to realise that we don't need the worlds best halfback, just someone with a good kicking and passing game and isn't afraid to try and make tackles. I still think kimmorley would've fitted in nicely at the tigers. Orford would be ok, as he wouldn't have to be a playmaker so much

Vicious

Bench
Just sign Todd Carney to replace Robert Lui and we`ll win the comp for the next 3 seasons.
What is wrong with that?

Juniors
People need to realise that we don't need the worlds best halfback, just someone with a good kicking and passing game and isn't afraid to try and make tackles. I still think kimmorley would've fitted in nicely at the tigers. Orford would be ok, as he wouldn't have to be a playmaker so much

If u want a cheap halfback that can tackle and plays his ass off each week Jeff Robson would have been a good buy. Not the best skillset but a no frills player with good vision, good passing and an OK kicking game.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
Isn't Humble from Parra a halfback/fullback (dare I say not unlike Moltzen)? I have a few mates that really rate him and it was more bad luck than form that stopped him getting a run with the Eels this year.

He could be what the Tigers need to fill the gap at half, he can kick and I believe he is a better than average goal kicker.

Save the money for a gun prop, we have Humble and Miller to fight for halfback if Lui is gone.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
So far as Carney is concerned, he is gunna f#$% again, he can't help himself. I've seen this guy on the drink and it is a wonder his other team mates haven't snotted him.

Isn't Humble from Parra a halfback/fullback (dare I say not unlike Moltzen)? I have a few mates that really rate him and it was more bad luck than form that stopped him getting a run with the Eels this year.

He could be what the Tigers need to fill the gap at half, he can kick and I believe he is a better than average goal kicker.

Save the money for a gun prop, we have Humble and Miller to fight for halfback if Lui is gone.

Tom Humble is a good player IMO. He could\will handle NRL level @ #7. There is 1 other option, Dan Mortimer.

badav

Bench
No the club can not come to their own conclussions on his guilt, If the club were to sack him believing in all fairness he is guilty and a court eventualy finds otherwise it opens the door for legal action against WT.

Where do you pull this from? The club has got their own code of conduct, and they can conduct their own investigation and sack him if they determine a breach to that code.

Its been done by other clubs. The Bronco's punted John Te Reo and Ian Lacey for code of conduct breaches before the charges came to court. Codes of conduct are enforceable completely independent of criminal law in almost every workplace.

Of course most clubs just prefer to sit back and watch the legal process unravel because most of the time it means they have to do pretty much nothing, because these domestic abuse causes very rarely stand up in court. (Robert Lui Episode 1, Anthony Watt's, Greg Inglis, Greg Bird so on and so forth). And so as a result of Wests Tigers taking that exact approach last time, they have to wear the bad publicity when it happens again.

Last edited:

Tigers Tale

Juniors
You are right badav but certain criteria needs to exist...girlfriends are different to a spouse or a partner that has lived in a domestic relationship, they are compellable witnesses and can be made to answer questions in court. Depends on how good their answers are of course as to whether the court convicts but yes, the courts can tell them to answer.

Still, yes you are right, there are many precendences in place.