What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Robert Lui???

b.bear

Juniors
THE troubled Wests Tigers halfback Robert Lui and his partner have agreed to begin counselling this week before the 21-year-old appears in court on Friday charged with assault.
Lui was stood down by the Tigers a fortnight ago after police charged him with assaulting his girlfriend, Taleah Rae Backo.
He is due to face Burwood Local Court on Friday and his future at the club is likely to rest on the outcome.
Advertisement: Story continues below
However, the Tigers have made an effort to assist Lui and his partner since the matter arose by offering counselling.
The Tigers chief, Stephen Humphreys, said: ''We … couldn't force them to do it but we thought it was in their best interests.''
Lui, who has been staying with family in Brisbane, was charged last year with nine offences relating to the alleged assault of Backo, but was cleared in April.
After the latest charge the club met with sponsors in an attempt to alleviate concern. Humphreys has warned against prejudging Lui.
The Tigers have also dismissed any interest in Daniel Mortimer, the Parramatta halfback who was told by the Eels he was not required for 2012 despite being on contract for the next two years.
Mortimer would be a potential replacement for Lui if he was sacked but Humphreys said there would be no approach about the 22-year-old. He also emphatically ruled out any interest in the discarded Sydney Roosters playmaker Todd Carney

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...his-partner-20111004-1l7bl.html#ixzz1ZxoK4Du5

Counselling Schmounselling !!!just stay off the grog....

R2Coupe

Juniors
Robbie Farah's support for Lui in MX today is inspiring leadership. The fact he also gave him accommodation both times also suggests Farah is a great leader. Well done.

Farah wants Lui to stay and so do I. I cannot see the point in releasing him to another club. Stick solid and help both Taleah and Rob Lui.

Tiger05

First Grade
Robbie Farah's support for Lui in MX today is inspiring leadership. The fact he also gave him accommodation both times also suggests Farah is a great leader. Well done.

Farah wants Lui to stay and so do I. I cannot see the point in releasing him to another club. Stick solid and help both Taleah and Rob Lui.

Two years in a row we lose in the finals and he gets in the news for allegedly bashing his gf. I think he could be a great player but his behaviour is pretty much unacceptable.

I feel sorry for the guy and his gf but he obviously needs help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Two years in a row we lose in the finals and he gets in the news for allegedly bashing his gf.

Look on the bright side - if he stays, it gives the team motivation to win the GF in 2012

TYGA

Juniors
Tigers sponsors will force their hands on this. 2nd time it has happened would suggest they are doing the right thing by him and not hurting his chances in court. If only Gallop had that wisdom. By suspending Stewart for being drunk he effectively made it public to any judge and juror that he was out of control and limited his defence in court for whatever someone made up.

Good work Tigers someone's life and career are more important than the teams chances next year. The club needs to be congratulated on the handling of the situation.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think the club should help his missus as much as it can.

Anyways, D-day tomorrow for Lui as he is due to appear in court to face the charges.

The RLW mole said yesterday that Lui has knocked back an offer from Souths and is all but signed with the Cowboys for 2012.

Last edited:

Bench
I think the club should help his missus as much as it can.

Anyways, D-day tomorrow for Lui as he is due to appear in court to face the charges.

The RLW mole said yesterday that Lui has knocked back an offer from Souths and is all but signed with the Cowboys for 2012.
Good,don't let the door hit you on the way out Rob,or should I say don't let Sam hit you on the way out.

macnaz

Staff member
Why did they offer to council someone if he didnt do anything?

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
It seems that not much happened at his court hearing today. Appears he has to come back again later in the month.

Also, his wife took out an AVO on him this time and the court today ruled to include their son under the AVO, so Lui now won't be allowed near either of them.

It seems to me that she's not going to drop the charges this time.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...lting-girlfriend/story-e6frexs9-1226161073890

WEST Tigers bad boy Robert Lui has faced court for the second time in 12 months on charges of assaulting his girlfriend.
Lui, 21, faced Burwood Local Court charged with assaulting his girlfriend at his house in North Strathfield last month, three days after the team was eliminated from the NRL finals.
Taleah Rae Backo suffered bruising to her face and Lui was charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm.
It is the second time in 12 months that Lui has been charged with assaulting Ms Backo.

He was slapped with nine charges after allegedly attacking the then-pregnant woman in September last year.
Those charges were withdrawn in April.
After the recent charges, Backo took out an apprehended domestic violence order against the footballer, who is suspended from the club until the charges are finalised.
During a brief mention of the matter today, police requested the name of a child be added to the violence order.
Outside court, Wests Tigers CEO Stephen Humphreys said the club was monitoring the proceedings.
Asked if the club was frustrated by the headlines about bad behaviour, Mr Humphreys said: "It's not ideal, but these things happen."
Asked if the club was concerned that it was paying a player now twice charged with assaulting his girlfriend, Mr Humphreys said: "The previous charges were withdrawn and we'll see what happens with these charges."
The NRL club will make a determination on the player's future when the court rules on the charges, he said.
"We will continue to monitor the legal situation and make a comment when it is appropriate."
The matter returns to court later this month.

R2Coupe

Juniors
A lot happened today which I'm sure makes all Tigers supporters pretty sad.

Rob now has to come to terms with being unable to see his partner and son. A tough situation for all three.

I still hope the Tigers stick by him as he will probably need the support of team mates and the club now more than anything else.

DanOz

Juniors
I shouldnt be suprised that certain people still want to support this grub. I sincerely hope the Tigers cut loose of this piece of scum.

Bench
I shouldnt be suprised that certain people still want to support this grub. I sincerely hope the Tigers cut loose of this piece of scum.
I wholeheartily agree,we don't need the headlines or this type of bloke in our club,stuff what Farah thinks,Lui is an alleged woman beater,see ya later chump.
The police tendered he kicked his missus in the temple,his reply was no he head butted her,this after climbing the balcony and ripping her hair out as he threw her to the ground,yeh stick by him,what a joke.:x

I wholeheartily agree,we don't need the headlines or this type of bloke in our club,stuff what Farah thinks,Lui is an alleged woman beater,see ya later chump.
The police tendered he kicked his missus in the temple,his reply was no he head butted her,this after climbing the balcony and ripping her hair out as he threw her to the ground,yeh stick by him,what a joke.:x

But but but but, we need to educate him so he knows he can't do this. :roll: There's only so much you can help someone, if this is true he belongs in a cell.

See you later Rob, thanks for the memories.

R2Coupe

Juniors
The Tigers by sticking by him in my opinion won't come out of this looking bad.

By keeping Rob within the Tiger family there is a very good possibility the family can be re-united a get on with living life.

Robbie Farah has stood up and that is good enough for me.

Latest posts