What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Robert Lui???

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wholeheartily agree,we don't need the headlines or this type of bloke in our club,stuff what Farah thinks,Lui is an alleged woman beater,see ya later chump.
The police tendered he kicked his missus in the temple,his reply was no he head butted her,this after climbing the balcony and ripping her hair out as he threw her to the ground,yeh stick by him,what a joke.:x

Have you get evidence supporting these comments?

Last edited:

Bench
Have you get evidence supporting these comments?
As I said it was on the 2ue 1.00pm news yesterday,I almost run off the road when I heard it,I felt disgusted that our club had a person who would do such things.

R2Coupe

Juniors
The alleged domestic violence may be symptomatic of an underlying problem. The club has alluded to this in its release stating the relationship is complex. The word is clearly loaded.

This is an emotive issue but at 21, throwing a young man on the scrap heap when he can redeem himself is drastic.

Borat.

Juniors
Its not on - terrible behavior , hope he gets the full weight of the law thrown at him if he is guilty - But I can't understand why people get on their high horses " I don't want him at my club"....

What has the club got to do with Lui allegedly beating his misses? This is a social issue and should be dealt with this way ....

Why should the club have to police it - unless the publicity results in loss of sponsorship, or bad image rights ...and if that is the only reasons you have to get rid of Lui that is called hypocrisy

If anything the best outcome for the wife and Child would be that the club stick by him, even if they don't - so he can provide for them via spousal support

DanOz

Juniors
Its not on - terrible behavior , hope he gets the full weight of the law thrown at him if he is guilty - But I can't understand why people get on their high horses " I don't want him at my club"....

What has the club got to do with Lui allegedly beating his misses? This is a social issue and should be dealt with this way ....

Why should the club have to police it - unless the publicity results in loss of sponsorship, or bad image rights ...and if that is the only reasons you have to get rid of Lui that is called hypocrisy

If anything the best outcome for the wife and Child would be that the club stick by him, even if they don't - so he can provide for them via spousal support

If you were a sponsor, what would you think? And even if the current ones stay solid, having grubs in the team could see potential sponsors steer clear. As for the best thing for the Mrs and child, that would be to leave him regardless of income. Single mother pensions and housing assistance are better than domestic violence.

R2Coupe

Juniors
Danoz, the best outcome for all three is where Rob Lui continues to provide support for his family. Whether this is together or apart is one of a number of decisions you would think the couple have to make together.

Life is not black and white, and while the allegations are unpleasant, the decisions Rob will need to make are best done with support from the club and his team mates. I don't believe the club will necessarily suffer as a result of sticking by him, educating him and assisting him in making the decsions which will result in him being the best player he can be.

macnaz

Staff member
Haha educate lol. diploma in not allegedly beating a woman should sort him out aye ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tiger05

First Grade
Danoz, the best outcome for all three is where Rob Lui continues to provide support for his family. Whether this is together or apart is one of a number of decisions you would think the couple have to make together.

Life is not black and white, and while the allegations are unpleasant, the decisions Rob will need to make are best done with support from the club and his team mates. I don't believe the club will necessarily suffer as a result of sticking by him, educating him and assisting him in making the decsions which will result in him being the best player he can be.

The thing is some people never learn. I am not going to state that Lui is one of those but it doesn't sound like it was a minor incident and it has allegedly happened twice.

Education is great but I'm pretty sure he knows what he did was wrong and I am pretty sure he would have been educated the first time. How many chances does he get ?

As for the best option being for him to help his family - maybe the best option would be for him to have to lose his contract and to go and work at a tough job.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
How can people defend him. Why does he deserve another chance. He is at fault, he must pay the penalty and he must suffer the consequences if found guilty.

Just because he's young? He's 21 ffs, last time i checked, that meant you were an adult.

I don't see why anyone should give a flying f**k about his welfare. If he allegedly bashed your wife/daughter etc, would you have the same opinion? Of course not.

She should leave him, he should be sacked if found guilty, and he would have to pay maintenance for 18 years. This sort of crime is abhorrent and should be dealt with very severely.

Last edited:

R2Coupe

Juniors
Does anybody recall the education programme from the NRL and presented by our own Mark O'Neill and Nigal Vagana?

The programme was to educate under 20s players on how to treat women. You would think this type of behaviour would be taught in the home. The reality is many players leave home at an early age to take up scholarships and miss this important lessons especially from fathers.

I remember Mark speaking to a team of under 20 players and one particular player proudly advising "he had picked up some slurry taken her home and had given her a cab fare in the early hours". Truly shocking to think a man could believe this description of a lady was acceptable (in addition to the cab fare home).

Mark was patiently attempting to educate these young fellows about life and acceptable ways to treat women.

My point is just because these players are 20 or 21 doesn't mean they have been taught life's lessons like you and I.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ffs, they aren't children.

You're making it out as though he doesn't know that allegedly bashing a woman is wrong. he's a f**king adult. If he's guilty of bashing a woman he deserves to get the sack, especially after going through this stuff just 12 months ago

Last edited:

R2Coupe

Juniors
As I said, the real issue needs to be dealt with and the club appeared to make reference to this in its release. The allegations are symptomatic of the underlying issue.

innsaneink

Referee
How can people defend him. Why does he deserve another chance. He is at fault, he must pay the penalty and he must suffer the consequences if found guilty.

Just because he's young? He's 21 ffs, last time i checked, that meant you were an adult.

I don't see why anyone should give a flying f**k about his welfare. If he allegedly bashed your wife/daughter etc, would you have the same opinion? Of course not.

She should leave him, he should be sacked if found guilty, and he would have to pay maintenance for 18 years. This sort of crime is abhorrent and should be dealt with very severely.

I dunno about her leaving him...that she should do that, thats up to her
Hopefully he learns not to do it anymore, hopefully they can have a productive happy family together.

He should be punished, to the letter of the law.

His job is minor in all this...very minor

N.C.

Juniors
It's an interesting point R2. Football clubs are inherently blokey... Who knows what "lessons" of life a young footballer comes into first grade with at the age of 19 or 20?

Great that the NRL and clubs are trying to do something about this with the under 20s - but it'll take a generation or two of sponsorship deals falling through and players getting hung out to dry over it for any real cultural change.

As for Lui - I agree that his partner and child can be best supported by him if he has an income (whether living together or otherwise) but I don't think it has to be the Tigers who are paying him for his talents. He seems to have burned that bridge...

As for DanOz's comment about housing assistance and single parent payments being "better than domestic violence" - that's a pretty naive statement. For one, the effects of domestic violence don't simply wear off just because you move to another house and find your own income - the kind of poverty you are talking about is in fact one of the lasting implications for women and children who flee a violent partner. Secondly, surviving on a pension while waiting to get into public housing is no walk in the park - and you'd be waiting for a couple of months at least IF you can convince HNSW that you're a priority case (and believe it or not, many people in her situation struggle to get into a HNSW tenancy - they are instead given financial assistance for not more thant 12 months to rent in the private market under what's the "Start Safely Private Rental Subsidy" package, and after that you're on your own... and probably still on a pension). Third, living in public housing means living amongst all kinds of disadvantage because of their ludicrous rules about not renting places to people without "complex needs" anymore, and the subsequent residualisation of people with mental health issues, substance abuse, fleeing domestic violence, etc into "ghetto" type housing situations. Nah, she's much better off with the support and backing of the NRL community, wherever Lui ends up playing...

Last edited:

R2Coupe

Juniors
Well thought out post NC. I can't disagree with anything you have said and wholeheartedly agree the family is best taken care of by Lui himself (whether living together or not).

DanOz

Juniors
It's an interesting point R2. Football clubs are inherently blokey... Who knows what "lessons" of life a young footballer comes into first grade with at the age of 19 or 20?

Great that the NRL and clubs are trying to do something about this with the under 20s - but it'll take a generation or two of sponsorship deals falling through and players getting hung out to dry over it for any real cultural change.

As for Lui - I agree that his partner and child can be best supported by him if he has an income (whether living together or otherwise) but I don't think it has to be the Tigers who are paying him for his talents. He seems to have burned that bridge...

As for DanOz's comment about housing assistance and single parent payments being "better than domestic violence" - that's a pretty naive statement. For one, the effects of domestic violence don't simply wear off just because you move to another house and find your own income - the kind of poverty you are talking about is in fact one of the lasting implications for women and children who flee a violent partner. Secondly, surviving on a pension while waiting to get into public housing is no walk in the park - and you'd be waiting for a couple of months at least IF you can convince HNSW that you're a priority case (and believe it or not, many people in her situation struggle to get into a HNSW tenancy - they are instead given financial assistance for not more thant 12 months to rent in the private market under what's the "Start Safely Private Rental Subsidy" package, and after that you're on your own... and probably still on a pension). Third, living in public housing means living amongst all kinds of disadvantage because of their ludicrous rules about not renting places to people without "complex needs" anymore, and the subsequent residualisation of people with mental health issues, substance abuse, fleeing domestic violence, etc into "ghetto" type housing situations. Nah, she's much better off with the support and backing of the NRL community, wherever Lui ends up playing...
NC, you obviously have no experience with these situations if you believe that domestic violence is better than making it on your own. Your ignorance astounds me.

DanOz

Juniors
Well thought out post NC. I can't disagree with anything you have said and wholeheartedly agree the family is best taken care of by Lui himself (whether living together or not).
The family is best taken care of by a man who allegedly beats his wife? You are a moron.

Haha educate lol. diploma in not beating a woman should sort him out aye ?

Pretty much sums it up. If anybody needs to be educated to know what Lui's alledgedly done is wrong, they belong in a cage. If he's guilty he has to get the flick, he made his bed so he can lie in it. I hope the club does help out his wife and kid in whatever they are going to do (stay with Rob or leave him).

Latest posts