What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Robert Lui???

True joel,, but do u recal the above players not actualy trying to make those missed tackles ?? There is a big diferance between not being physically strong enough etc and just plain not having a f%cking go.
That applies to MOltzen to i might add, he has shown some real pussy shots as well lately.

well he made 20 tackles the other night so he must be having a go, The thing is Lui is what 20? people are already thinking this is as good as he will get and i have no idea why:?

I have been saying this for months now,Miller is a far better prospect than both Moltzen and Lui,and he can tackle too.

i think Lui and Miller are about the same the problem is Lui is still learning the role of a half,people forget hes been at 5/8 all through his juniors

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
name me 5 halfs in the game with good defense?
theres not many,plus ive seen guys like Lockyer and Kimmorley miss around 8 tackles in a game :shock:
I'm not saying he has to have good defence, I'm saying his technique is feminine and he is scared.

He doesn't have to be a good defender, he just has to be committed when tackling, which he clearly isn't.

No matter who you are or what level you play out, you will never effectively tackle someone running at you, by using your hands and no shoulder/arms/chest behind it.

Simple fact.

R2Coupe

Juniors
You have just proven my point. Moltzen is nothing more than a running five-eighth.

He has little creativity, not much of a kicking game and does not create doubt in the defensive line like Lui does.

Blinding pace is nice to have but is not a necessity in the halves. A kicking game is far more important, as is a long passing game - two attributes which Lui has in spades over Moltzen.

I disagree. Moltzen is very creative and can break down a defence either with pace or passing. He also has a very good long kicking game. Importantly, he always took the correct option and would not pass if nothing was on. Conversely the ball was sent wide if an opportunity arose.

Finally, whoever the half is, he has to work closely with Marshall. If Marshall feels more comfortable with one, that is the reality of the situation.

Talanexor

Juniors
name me 5 halfs in the game with good defense?
theres not many,plus ive seen guys like Lockyer and Kimmorley miss around 8 tackles in a game :shock:

Agree. You've got 15-16 other players who can defend - the primarily role of the halves is to orchestrate the attack. You can hide one or two brilliant attacking players in defence. But you'll get shown up deluxe if you've got no good playmakers.

Some people on LU focus too much on halves defence. They're mostly small guys who defend in the line and get a lot of traffic running at them - they're going to miss tackles.

If any of these people were coaches, Lockyer, Thurston, Prince and Soward wouldn't have played a single game of first grade.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
well he made 20 tackles the other night so he must be having a go, The thing is Lui is what 20? people are already thinking this is as good as he will get and i have no idea why:?
20 tackles where you can be sure he was not first in. He gets owned when players run at him.

sometimes he even steps backwards before committing to the tackle.

He is scared for some reason defensively. If he can overcome that, the rest will be easy to rectify.

Last edited:

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Agree. You've got 15-16 other players who can defend - the primarily role of the halves is to orchestrate the attack. You can hide one or two brilliant attacking players in defence. But you'll get shown up deluxe if you've got no good playmakers.

Some people on LU focus too much on halves defence. They're mostly small guys who defend in the line and get a lot of traffic running at them - they're going to miss tackles.

If any of these people were coaches, Lockyer, Thurston, Prince and Soward wouldn't have played a single game of first grade.
ffs, no one is saying Lui needs to be a defensive force.

Just watch how he tackles, he is scared to commit to tackles, especially as first contact. Moltzen is no better.

We don't want halves to make 30 awesome tackles every week, we just want them to be semi capable of slowing a player down or tackling them in a one on one situation.

Neither Lui or Moltzen are capable of this. Lui is worse.

Talanexor

Juniors
I disagree. Moltzen is very creative and can break down a defence either with pace or passing. He also has a very good long kicking game. Importantly, he always took the correct option and would not pass if nothing was on. Conversely the ball was sent wide if an opportunity arose.

Finally, whoever the half is, he has to work closely with Marshall. If Marshall feels more comfortable with one, that is the reality of the situation.

I'm a Moltzen fan. He's way out of form now, but the potential is definitely there. You don't need - or even want - someone who is creative like Marshall is creative.

Marshall has pace, neat footwork, good passing and a great short kicking game.

What you need in a halfback is an organiser who can distribute the ball and boot it downfield on fifth tackle. Anything else is a bonus. I think Molzten meets the criteria better than Lui.

I'd also point out the example of Albert Kelly. He's a natural five-eighth, but was played at fullback and off the bench for Parramatta and looked way out of his depth.

Then he goes to the Sharks who put him in his natural position, and he was carving up for them til he got injured. And believe me, with a backline as bad as the Sharks', putting a man in a hole is harder than you'd think.

R2Coupe

Juniors
I'm a Moltzen fan. He's way out of form now, but the potential is definitely there. You don't need - or even want - someone who is creative like Marshall is creative.

Marshall has pace, neat footwork, good passing and a great short kicking game.

What you need in a halfback is an organiser who can distribute the ball and boot it downfield on fifth tackle. Anything else is a bonus. I think Molzten meets the criteria better than Lui.

I'd also point out the example of Albert Kelly. He's a natural five-eighth, but was played at fullback and off the bench for Parramatta and looked way out of his depth.

Then he goes to the Sharks who put him in his natural position, and he was carving up for them til he got injured. And believe me, with a backline as bad as the Sharks', putting a man in a hole is harder than you'd think.

All good points. I read Lui and Ray Thompson used to be the halves for Townville Centrals? Great talent.

The Gambler

Juniors
Lui scared in defense? God almighty - Molzten is the biggest cat in the Tigers squad!

Miller looks like a world beater in U20's sometimes - he still has plenty of mistakes in him though. Additionally - he doesn't dominate the 20's like Lui used too.

Besides, look at a player like Blake Lazarus - everyone wanted him in the side because he carved up 20's and State Cup...the rest is history.

Two bad games in a row from Lui, I completely agree. But bugger me, Molzten hasn't played a good game in two years, injured or not.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
How could MOltzen have played a good game last year? gee talk about being unfair to the extreme.

May as well call Tuiaki a hack for playing like shit all last year too eh?

R2Coupe

Juniors
Believe it. Another myth put to rest. Moltzen is an excellent footballer.

Source: The Daily Telegraph

Moltzen-fits-the-bill-for-Benji-5945232.jpg

Character ... new Wests Tigers five-eighth Tim Moltzen in his Terrigal Sharks days. Source: The Daily Telegraph

MEET the rookie ready to step up and fill the golden boots of million-dollar Wests Tigers star Benji Marshall.

Teenager Tim Moltzen will wear the No. 6 for the Tigers when they step out against the North Queensland Cowboys in Townsville on Saturday night.
But apart from their dazzling footwork and handy kicking games, Marshall and Moltzen have followed vastly different paths to the NRL.
Marshall was the child prodigy who was snapped up at a young age by coach Tim Sheens and led the Tigers to victory in the World Sevens competition. He's now a household name and drives a flashy sports car.
Moltzen cut his teeth in the Central Coast competition, starring in every junior grand final for the Terrigal Sharks only to win two of them.
He was a surfer, played golf off 14, spent last year mowing lawns for his uncle and gets around town in a Holden Barina.
Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

As Moltzen gets ready to follow up on his handy debut against the Dragons last Sunday - where he scored a try in the Tigers' 24-16 victory - his agent Steve Gillis said yesterday: "Tim is one of those special ones. Nothing fazes him.
"He's a character and, if he kicks on, he'll attract a lot of attention from people in rugby league."
The Tigers were obviously attracted because they re-signed Moltzen to 2010 before he had even stepped out against St George Illawarra.
Moltzen told The Daily Telegraph he was happy to slip under the radar and felt no pressure to step up and become the Tigers' saviour.
"There are just as many guys around me that are good in their positions which will help me," Moltzen said.
"I'm just happy to fill in at the role. At the end of the day I'm not Benji Marshall and I'm not putting any expectations on myself that I need to live up to.
"I just want to go out there and do my job.
"Tim (Sheens) said to me at the start of the year that once I got a taste of first-grade football I shouldn't want to look back. I've now had that taste and in the coming weeks I'm keen to play the role that is needed."

Wests Tigers skipper Robbie Farah knows his kicking game needs to improve against the Warriors

452578-robbie-farah.jpg

Improvement needed ... Robbie Farah vows to lift his game at Leichhardt Oval. Source: Gregg Porteous / News Limited

Wests Tigers captain Robbie Farah admits he must improve his kicking game to ensure the title hotshots avoid a dreaded 0-2 start to the season against the New Zealand Warriors at Leichhardt Oval.

NRL Adjudicator

Regarded as one of the game's most astute kickers, Farah rarely used his boot in the Tigers' 24-14 loss to the
Bulldogs last week.
Star five-eighth Benji Marshall also had an off night against the Dogs, struggling for penetration with his long kicks and both Farah and coach Tim Sheens declared it was an area that had to change against the physical Warriors.
"I thought we controlled the ball real well (last week) - we just struggled to finish off the sets the way we wanted," Farah said.
Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

"We let them off the hook. We kicked the ball dead, probably four or five times, which you just can't do."
"We've got to create a bit of pressure with our kicking."
Farah said the onus was on himself, Marshall, halfback Robert Lui and interchange utility Tim Moltzen to lift their game.
Watch Wests Tigers take on the Warriors at 7.30pm (EDT) on Fox Sports 2 HD and Fox Sports 2.
The Tigers know they can ill-afford to give the big Warriors easy territory or cheap turn-overs from poor kicks.
"You can have a really bad set and turn it into a good set with a good kick and vice versa. It is really important, especially in today's game in terms of field position and things like that.
"We've got myself and Robbie (Lui) and Benji there and Tim Moltzen's a kicker as well so between us you'd like to think we can get it right."
The Tigers enter the game with doubts still over the fitness of key forwards Gareth Ellis (knee) and Bryce Gibbs (ankle), with Sheens to give the pair until late today to prove their fitness.
Gibbs underwent knee surgery late last season and then copped a knock to the knee against the Sydney Roosters in the Foundation Cup, forcing him out of the season opener.
"Both boys are working hard to get there so we will just have to wait and see what happens today. I will give them to tomorrow if I have to," Sheens said.

Brought to you by FOX SPORTS

Last edited:

holman

Juniors
I think the Bulldogs let Johnathon Thurston go because his defence was not up to first grade standard. Another player who had defensive problems was Renouf at the Broncos, but they certainly improved in time, so much so that Thurston is one of the best cover defenders in the game.

The Gambler

Juniors
How could MOltzen have played a good game last year? gee talk about being unfair to the extreme.

May as well call Tuiaki a hack for playing like shit all last year too eh?
As I said, injured or not, he hasn't played a good game. In other words, before and after injury, in the last two seasons, Molzten has not played a good game.

And before you go all soppy on me with the "awww but he has been injured, give him a chance to find his feet" - why on earth should the first grade team have to carry him until he finds his form? That is what state cup is for.

Now I am sorry but two years ago I would have told you that Molzten has all the talent in the world and is going to be the next big thing. But now, his only potential value to the side is coming off the bench as a utility. When he was fullback he had a pea heart and wouldn't attack kicks or run the ball back with any gusto, and now that he is centre he hogs the ball fails to pass and does his best to make sure he is the one that looks good by scoring the tries.

Now I don't know why so many people want to throw Lui in the heap when he has looked a thousand times as good in the 7 as Molzten would - is it because he is dark skinned? Is it because he supposedly belt his missus? Well if you are the twenty or so Tigers fans that sat behind me at the game on Saturday it was all of the above!

How about a bit of objectivity - rather than playing favourites.

Latest posts