What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Robert Lui???

DanOz

Juniors
I think the Bulldogs let Johnathon Thurston go because his defence was not up to first grade standard. Another player who had defensive problems was Renouf at the Broncos, but they certainly improved in time, so much so that Thurston is one of the best cover defenders in the game.

I think the dogs let him go because of Coffs Harbour and other indiscretions

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Believe it. Another myth put to rest. Moltzen is an excellent footballer.

Using the Telegraph as your source - FAIL.

When has Moltzen ever displayed a competent long kicking game in first grade? I am very curious, I have never seen it. I'd have loved to see it but it hasn't happened.

Defend him all you like but don't make up utter garbage along the way. What you are saying simply isn't true - every time Moltzen has played halfback he has NEVER done any of the general play kicking.

Why does Lui kick in general play when he plays halfback but Moltzen does not?

As I said, injured or not, he hasn't played a good game. In other words, before and after injury, in the last two seasons, Molzten has not played a good game.

And before you go all soppy on me with the "awww but he has been injured, give him a chance to find his feet" - why on earth should the first grade team have to carry him until he finds his form? That is what state cup is for.

Now I am sorry but two years ago I would have told you that Molzten has all the talent in the world and is going to be the next big thing. But now, his only potential value to the side is coming off the bench as a utility. When he was fullback he had a pea heart and wouldn't attack kicks or run the ball back with any gusto, and now that he is centre he hogs the ball fails to pass and does his best to make sure he is the one that looks good by scoring the tries.

Now I don't know why so many people want to throw Lui in the heap when he has looked a thousand times as good in the 7 as Molzten would - is it because he is dark skinned? Is it because he supposedly belt his missus? Well if you are the twenty or so Tigers fans that sat behind me at the game on Saturday it was all of the above!

How about a bit of objectivity - rather than playing favourites.

Couldn't have said it any better myself.

I remberer at game at Leichhardt Oval last year were the crowd around me was giving Robert Lui heaps. When I pointed out that he was only 20 and could still be playing in the 20's they were taken aback, they seem to think he was 25. This match was well before his off field drama, we seem to have a section of the crowd that have never liked Robert Lui for some reason.

For mine he is currently the best half we have and I still think will devlop into an elite NRL halfback, I don't think Moltzen will get to the same level.

My tip is young Miller may also turn out to be an elite NRL halfback.

I for one would like to keep both Robert Lui and Jacob Miller for at least the next 2-3 years.

R2Coupe

Juniors
Using the Telegraph as your source - FAIL.

When has Moltzen ever displayed a competent long kicking game in first grade? I am very curious, I have never seen it. I'd have loved to see it but it hasn't happened.

Defend him all you like but don't make up utter garbage along the way. What you are saying simply isn't true - every time Moltzen has played halfback he has NEVER done any of the general play kicking.

Why does Lui kick in general play when he plays halfback but Moltzen does not?

Robbie Farah is the source. Direct quote in the article.

Moltzen is a kicker which is a fact.

And let's face reality, Lui has now put a few shockers together. However, unlike you, I believe both Lui and Moltzen are good players with great potential, but both are learning. The difference is Moltzen has also been shunted between positions and is regaining confidence from a knee reconstruction. Time is required to get him back in confidence. Lui also needs time to get his game together.

Try being objective.

R2Coupe

Juniors
Couldn't have said it any better myself.

I remberer at game at Leichhardt Oval last year were the crowd around me was giving Robert Lui heaps. When I pointed out that he was only 20 and could still be playing in the 20's they were taken aback, they seem to think he was 25. This match was well before his off field drama, we seem to have a section of the crowd that have never liked Robert Lui for some reason.

For mine he is currently the best half we have and I still think will devlop into an elite NRL halfback, I don't think Moltzen will get to the same level.

My tip is young Miller may also turn out to be an elite NRL halfback.

I for one would like to keep both Robert Lui and Jacob Miller for at least the next 2-3 years.

I like Lui and Moltzen. Lui has the vision to know where a gap is or to put a player into a gap. He can also draw two or three players and with his strength hold them and slip a pass.

Moltzen has the devastating pace and a long fast flat right side pass. His game against the Storm confirmed he is an outstanding match with Marshall. Pace on both the right and left side in the halves. He also a very good kicking game.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Moltzen is a kicker which is a fact.

So when has he kicked in general play in FG? Simple question with a simple answer.

However, unlike you, I believe both Lui and Moltzen are good players with great potential, but both are learning.

I believe Moltzen is a good player. I don't believe he is better than Lui at halfback though, and I believe he is overrated and overhyped by many of our fans. By the same token Lui seems to cop alot.

super_coach

First Grade
I like Lui and Moltzen. Lui has the vision to know where a gap is or to put a player into a gap. He can also draw two or three players and with his strength hold them and slip a pass.

Moltzen has the devastating pace and a long fast flat right side pass. His game against the Storm confirmed he is an outstanding match with Marshall. Pace on both the right and left side in the halves. He also a very good kicking game.

Sheens proclaimed to all and sundry that Moltzen had the longest and best boot in the club, the next game when he was given the general play kicking duties for the first and last time his kicks were neither long or effective. Since than he has hardly had a kick only the odd time when he has got the ball on the 5th tackle by mistake. Iam not saying he cant kick, but on what I have seen it needs lots of work

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Sheens proclaimed to all and sundry that Moltzen had the longest and best boot in the club, the next game when he was given the general play kicking duties for the first and last time his kicks were neither long or effective. Since than he has hardly had a kick only the odd time when he has got the ball on the 5th tackle by mistake. Iam not saying he cant kick, but on what I have seen it needs lots of work

I am glad I am not the only one who can see this. Saying he has a "very good kicking game" is simply not true when he has never shown this in first grade.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
As I said, injured or not, he hasn't played a good game. In other words, before and after injury, in the last two seasons, Molzten has not played a good game.

And before you go all soppy on me with the "awww but he has been injured, give him a chance to find his feet" - why on earth should the first grade team have to carry him until he finds his form? That is what state cup is for.

Now I am sorry but two years ago I would have told you that Molzten has all the talent in the world and is going to be the next big thing. But now, his only potential value to the side is coming off the bench as a utility. When he was fullback he had a pea heart and wouldn't attack kicks or run the ball back with any gusto, and now that he is centre he hogs the ball fails to pass and does his best to make sure he is the one that looks good by scoring the tries.

Now I don't know why so many people want to throw Lui in the heap when he has looked a thousand times as good in the 7 as Molzten would - is it because he is dark skinned? Is it because he supposedly belt his missus? Well if you are the twenty or so Tigers fans that sat behind me at the game on Saturday it was all of the above!

How about a bit of objectivity - rather than playing favourites.
I'm not favouring either Moltzen or Lui, I'm just commenting on you saying Moltzen hasn't played good since 2009, in an attempt to make him sound worse, knowing he hardly played at all last year.

I don't think Lui or Moltzen are that much different skill wise or potential wise, they're both at the same place.

I do think Miller has the skills set and potential to shit all over them in the not too distant future.

super_coach

First Grade
Catch 22 thing going on at present. Very hard for lui to get his game in order at present while the team as a unit is playing busted and very hard for the team to start improving when the no7 is in such scratchy form.

If we loose a couple more game in the next few weeks I would be looking at moving Moltzen to no7 or even Miller. Iam a Lui fan but their just isnt enough good game coming from him at present

macnaz

Staff member
Only the first half but its great to see Lui grab this game against the Dogs by the scruff of the neck.sorry joking, Bahahahaha the guy has f**king nothing :crazy:

DanOz

Juniors
The way he ran into open space was graceful, a thing of beauty - a shame it was in defense because he was avoiding Pritchard 1 on 1 as the Dogs scored...

Sheen must be a patient man i would of hooked him long ago.He seems to play with no set structure or plan in attack,a liability in defence and crap kicking game equates to Lui possibly being the worst half back in nrl at the moment.

macnaz

Staff member
And WHY Shines u wanker did u put Miller in the side but NOT let him use his best skill of using his kicking ability ???? instead u let that useless f**k grubber to the fullback all night.

N.C.

Juniors
f**k me... you ladies want a little cheese to go with your whine? He's no Benji Marshall but he looks better in that role than any of our other options at the moment. Miller looks like class, but as of tonight he's a few games off starting halfback just yet, thanks all the same. Moltzen is, quite simply, confused. Lui has skill, he just needs to pull his finger out and take the game by the balls. His problem is not that he's got no skills... it's that he's a sensitive little man with no ego.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lui's only real problem is fear. He is filled with it. Every player in the game knows it.

I hope he goes to Brisbane next year, he'll do well there. He's just wasting our time and his by staying here.

So far I've heard that the following players are/will be gone next year
McKinnon (England)
Ryan (Penrith)
Fulton (Sharks)
Gibbs (Sharks)
Fifita (Sharks)
Heighington (Penrith)
Daniela (Brisbane)
Liu (Brisbane/Souths)
Moltzen (Sharks)
and possibly one more (Brisbane)

Dump em all and start focussing on next season, lets face it, this one's f**ked.

Borat.

Juniors
Hope we can keep Hino - the rest can go - I'm sick of the up and down form of the club...

Look at Manly and St merge- Atleast there fans know the players will turn up each game...Even when the tigers win this year it feels like a Miracle

The Game v canberra we should have won by 50, yet they made a late run and almost got us...

V the knights was a toss of the coin...

Warriors was pure luck.....Same v panthers

Its the same every year

We have had probably one dominating performance all year v the Bunnies.....FFs we were 2nd favs to win the comp

R2Coupe

Juniors
All of the above could leave and we can still field a very good team. If all those named above do leave, it is time to get behind the club and applaud the move to change.

Sheens is in his strongest position now to force change. It has to be done.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
I am a big fan of Lui, but the kid has simple been atrocious since the Canberra game. Unacceptable.

However even if Sheens gives Miller a go next to Benji, he will hinder him by not letting him play his natural game.

Borat.

Juniors
All of the above could leave and we can still field a very good team. If all those named above do leave, it is time to get behind the club and applaud the move to change.

Sheens is in his strongest position now to force change. It has to be done.

No problem with the players leaving but someone else made the excellent point of people are looking over their shoulders, waiting for a tap - in other words no job security - this obviously does not encourage peak performance...

No problem with not signing players, but when a group of players who have NEW contracts until 2014 are told to get stuffed then you can kiss your morale goodbye

Latest posts