What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Robert Lui???

I agree with boonboon

thought Lui had his best game this year tonight , he took on the line and busted it a couple of times and generally looked dangerous in attack for the first time in ages , he had some defensive misses but it seemed he covered them better and tried harder , I think the defensive set up helped him too. He wasnt perfect but no one was it seemed everything they tried worked and nothing we tried worked - it seemed to me that if that game was played 100 times then 90 of them we would win - we had about 7 chances that were 1 bitn of luck off being tries they scored 3 tries and 2 of those were really lucky and other then that they didnt look like scoring
McKinnon passes the ball 2 or 3 times they would have scored for sure and then there was the post, they still looked like they were in it well and truly at half time. In fact I'd drop McKinnon for Mullaney or Meaney before I'd drop Lui.

I jumped in the car after the game and heard the 2GB boys say,
Marshall was under done and would have scored that try except for his knee.
Lawrence was under done and will only get better,
Ellis (according to Blocker) is carrying an injury,

Blocker would be aware of things through his mate Siro and he was saying that the playing group are not happy with management and Sheens and it really shows.

Tigerm

First Grade
I agree with boonboon

McKinnon passes the ball 2 or 3 times they would have scored for sure and then there was the post, they still looked like they were in it well and truly at half time. In fact I'd drop McKinnon for Mullaney or Meaney before I'd drop Lui.

Blocker would be aware of things through his mate Siro and he was saying that the playing group are not happy with management and Sheens and it really shows.
The only trouble with all that is, WE LOST again, probably blew the season away with it.
Agree it was good to see Lawrence & Marshal back, but probably doesn't matter now.

Borat.

Juniors
I agree with boonboon

No wonder the club is after Dugan- hope Harry gives him a block of units...

Have u ever seen some one Butcher so many tries in a game..most players at this level wont do it in a year -..

His positional play was very very poor for a 1st grade regular fullback - plenty of times he was trapped in goal simply cause he misread the kick or was not positioned ....

leoc

Juniors
I was never a fun of Marshall playing 7 but am willing to see how this would work with Siro at 6.
We can't get to see marshall 6 & miller 7 so it may be well worth it. Might force Benji to control the game a little better with the imposter not in the team!!

R2Coupe

Juniors
I was never a fun of Marshall playing 7 but am willing to see how this would work with Siro at 6.
We can't get to see marshall 6 & miller 7 so it may be well worth it. Might force Benji to control the game a little better with the imposter not in the team!!

Another gem!:D

You're willing to move one of the best players in the world to accommodate a 17/18 year old who is untested in the NRL?

This is on the basis of your statement "We can't see a marshall & miller 7 so it may be well worth it,"

:D

Another gem!:D

You're willing to move one of the best players in the world to accommodate a 17/18 year old who is untested in the NRL?

This is on the basis of your statement "We can't see a marshall & miller 7 so it may be well worth it,"

:D

I'm willing to move Benji to Union the way he has been carrying on lately...

leoc

Juniors
Hey R2, Funny that you over looked the last part that the post is mainly about!!
" Might force Benji to control the game a little better with the imposter not in the team!!"
You crack me up!

R2Coupe

Juniors
Have you shared this gem with the coaching staff!:D

Didn't overlook it at all. Just the logic of moving one of the best players in the world from his position defies logic.

However, I'm sure when they realise it is you who is suggesting it the change will be implemented immediately!

Last edited:

leoc

Juniors
Lui isn't going to the Broncos fellas.

And this is what prompted my comment in the first place!!

R2, the problem is this. Others were calling for Benji to play fullback, I said that that was madness. I'd rather keep him at 5/8 (he is the best going around) BUT the club continues to play weaknesses in the half back position. We are rudderless and have really hit the turf in terms of creativity. I have nothing against Lui as a person as I don't know him but he just isn't the half for this club to build off.

R2Coupe

Juniors
Yes, we have struggled for an organising halfback since Prince left. I hope Miller is our answer although Lui demonstrated a return to form last week.

glockers

Juniors
Regardless of how much people rate Lui, we all have to agree Miller has potential rep halfback written all over him. We simply can't afford to let him walk at the end of this contract.

The one consistent thing we have missed the most in recent years is Prince. Simply put we need a quality halfback to go anywhere in this comp.

That means we should commit to Miller sooner rather than later. Maybe he isn't the option this year and should instead lead the Under 20s for the rest of the year, but for the 2012 first round of the NRL he should be in the seven jersey.

Even if we have a shit year next year, Miller should occupy the seven jersey all year and have a long term contract (even if we pay overs).

That leads me to Lui. If Miller gets the 7 jersey is there any reason to keep Lui? I don't think there is.

For a back up we can simply blood Sironen in the 6 and move Marshall to halfback. Plus Ayoub in the Under 20s isn't a crap option (he simply isn't as good as Miller).

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Info from another forum so I am just repeating it, but apparently the club rates both Lui and Sironen higher than Miller at this stage. Miller is still a priority and the club don't want to let him go: both he and Sironen have progressed at a faster rate than the coaching staff anticipated.

If Lui does leave it won't be the club forcing him out, it will be because he wants to leave.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Look Benji to fullback is crazy talk.

I said it a while ago, If Benji was ever going to be a permanent fullback, it should have been at the start of his career. Not now.

Going from five-eighth to fullback isn't as simple a transition as going from Centre to wing, or Back row to prop.

Blackdiamond

Juniors
I am all for blooding the young new talent & I really hope Miller gets his chance & succeeds.

However, we all know many of these kids struggle to make the transition to NRL & many require quite a few games under their belt to gain confidence. Not every kid turns out to be Cherry-Evans.

The question is how many games are we as fans, prepared to grant whilst he & others go through their transition? I find that we are way too critical of the young guys & expect far too much far too soon.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
thats the problem with having a televised, fully sponsored youth competition which gets more money and assistance from NRL, NSWRL and ARL than any of the other comps which should be higher NSW Cup, Bundy Cup, QLD Cup etc

I've said it before, but we need to go back to having NRL - Reserves - NYC and a natural progression from one to the other.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
thats the problem with having a televised, fully sponsored youth competition which gets more money and assistance from NRL, NSWRL and ARL than any of the other comps which should be higher NSW Cup, Bundy Cup, QLD Cup etc

I've said it before, but we need to go back to having NRL - Reserves - NYC and a natural progression from one to the other.

Couldnt agree more. I think the competition really misses the 'reserves'. The NSW Cup is not seen, or given the appropriate status it should have as the real in between between NYC & NRL

Magpie Tragic

Juniors

100% agree, but it aint gonna happen IMO

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was reporting on NSW Cup games last year for Rugby League News/Rugby League Review magazines last year and having watched a lot of NYC cup games as well, there's a clear drop off in game quality, player consistency and susceptability to injury from NSW Cup down to NYC.

westie

Bench
I'm the biggest advocate of not getting carried away with Jersey Flegg players, especially since the new comp made even less of a priority of actually tackling. But Miller is different. He's a footy player. He's got heart. He'll make it, and be a star, given half the opportunities far less players in our side have been given.