What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Robert Lui???

His long kicking game is ok every now and then, but it should always be good, he suppose to be a 1st grade half for christ sake. His short kicking game has never been good, especially under pressure. It's just not good enough. He was the same in U20's, so I don't know where all this potential talk is coming from. Hopefully the bronco's take him.

b.bear

Juniors
Lui's great kicking games have been in matches where our forwards had the better of the opposition, giving him plenty of room.

Further proving he is a traditional five-eighth who plays as a second receiver, so that he can have some time to prepare for kicks, plays etc.

That say's it all ,when was the last time our forwards dominated a game,probably canberra and you saw the results .I think the real issue is our forwards continually being dominated ,you saw this on friday night, no difference in our attack in fact it was even more stale but thats not millar or Lui's fault, it is our weak forwards who refuse to run straight and hard and refuse to hit hard in defence ...

Just run the ball hard, I am sick of all the jogging..

All of our backs would benefit from a more robust and commited forward pack

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Sorry to bring up this old topic post again but the latest article on Benji's availability caught my eye for a comment made on Lui by Cousins.

SHEENS OPTIMISTIC OVER THE RETURN OF BENJI MARSHALL
By Wayne Cousins
7/07/2011 10:19:34 AM
Benji Marshall could be a late addition to the Wests Tigers side to face Parramatta on Friday night, subject to how he pulls through today’s final training session.
Head Coach Tim Sheens remains cautious as to whether the brilliant five-eighth will take to the field at Parramatta Stadium in round 18 of the Telstra Premiership. Marshall suffered a knee injury against Melbourne in round 15.
Sheens has named Jacob Miller at five-eighth to partner the talented Robert Lui at half.
“We will have a look at him this morning but I will have to reserve an opinion until after the session. He hasn’t run for a week and a half so we will need to be 100 per cent sure,’’ Sheens said.
“My leaning is that it will be the week after. There is no use playing him if he is not going to be ready to play.
“He wants to play but unless you are actually prepared, there is no use thinking you can do it. You have got to practise it and do it. I’m not going to put the team or him at risk by playing him if he is not 100 per cent.”
Sheens confirmed centre Chris Lawrence and prop Todd Payten would definitely play after recovering from injury.
http://www.weststigers.com.au/defau...-optimistic-over-the-return-of-benji-marshall

I just don’t get it. Is it a case of if you repeat it often enough, it must be true and others will believe you? Why did Cousins describe Lui as ‘the talented Robert Lui at half’? It wasn’t necessary. If he also said boom centre Chris Lawrence and stalwart prop Todd Payten, I could understand the hyperbole in trying to talk up the team but why select Lui for the hyperbole alone?

The Gambler

Juniors
He is the media officer, if he had half brain (this is yet to be established) he would be writing articles to lift the spirits of Tigers fans. This would include targeting known 'weak points' - who in the past couple of months has been Lui.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Lui has a lot of potential however is going through a horrible form patch atm.

Personally I'd give him a few weeks in state cup and promote miller however that would require sheens to actually drop someone

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Lui has a lot of potential however is going through a horrible form patch atm.

Personally I'd give him a few weeks in state cup and promote miller however that would require sheens to actually drop someone

Completely agree, big Lui fan but he has been dreadful since the Canberra game this season. Needs a stint in reserves.

I am hearing Lui may be dropped if Marshall plays...but since this means Sheens actually dropping someone, I doubt it will happen.

Magpie Tragic

Juniors
That raises a question, when was the last time Sheens actually dropped someone that is a 'regular' first grader because of lack of form (excluding someone only promoted because of injury)???????? :?:?:?

hybrid_tiger

Coach
The only one I recall was Ben Te'o and then he was back in a couple of weeks to dog it for the rest of the year anyway.

Lui was dropped to the bench a couple of weeks ago, thats as close as Sheens has come to completely dropping anyone.

Bench
Completely agree, big Lui fan but he has been dreadful since the Canberra game this season. Needs a stint in reserves.

I am hearing Lui may be dropped if Marshall plays...but since this means Sheens actually dropping someone, I doubt it will happen.
Hope your right Hybrid,Miller and Benji should be our future 7 & 6,look at Cherry Evans and Townsend,just give them some time to settle in and watch them go.

R2Coupe

Juniors
Townshend and Cherry Evans are also at least 2 years older than Miller which indicates his talent.

Mr_Raditch

Juniors
IMO he's reluctant to drop anyone because there is no decent reserve grade competion to drop them to. Whats the point of dropping someone to state cup, they are not gng to learn anything. We need to get rid of under 20s and bring back a proper reserve grade comp.

Drewby

Juniors
Townshend and Cherry Evans are also at least 2 years older than Miller which indicates his talent.

Played 4 this season, including losses against Titans, Bulldogs and Roosters, all of which we should have won on paper... Only win was against Souths when we were already home and hosed and he comes on for 17mins.

I don't want to take anything away from this guy, because obviously he's one for the future, but the results speak for themselves... consistency is what we need! When injuries are stuffing us around already, instead of shuffling EVERYONE, why not stick with a comination that we know works. Marshall and Moltzen together in the halves has worked for us. Now I know all of you will sit there and bitch that Moltzen does nothing, he's too small, a fairy etc etc but look at our results!! Maybe he's exactly what Marshall needs as far as stability goes in order to spur marshall on to win us games?

Lui is inconsistent and quite frankly like a hole in a bucket. Maybe it was his injury, or maybe he needs a season, but something's not right in defense, might as well not be there...

N.C.

Juniors
Lui looks so much sharper in attack than Moltzen does. If you want to see long passes to nobody in particular, put Moltzen into your team as a halfback. He doesn't add all that much more in defence, so it's not like he makes up for it in other ways either...

Drewby

Juniors
I know Moltz is pretty useless, but I'm thinking less about what he does himself on the pitch, but more about how he makes benj play...

I'd give Miller a go tho, I mean why not? If morale is as low as we think it is, maybe a cracker youngster can boost it for us?

Latest posts