What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ross Smart

born an eel

Bench
i think you'll find that the changes are for the better. the easiest way to move forward without confronting the same old ideas, is to get new blood and new ideas using people who are skilled in the areas in which they work.
is this how you feel about your work. Would you be happy to be sacked for no other reason than to get new blood into your role. You need to remember this is peoples careers and if they weren't skilled in their roles they should have been moved on from the start.

fish eel

Immortal
i think you'll find that the changes are for the better. the easiest way to move forward without confronting the same old ideas, is to get new blood and new ideas using people who are skilled in the areas in which they work.

I'm yet to be convinced that punting Smart was for the better. He was very good at his job.

As for Edge. I'd have thought he would have been first in line for the chop if we were looking at fresh ideas.

bartman

Immortal
New Physio Former Parramatta Tackling Machine Andrew Langford.
There's a blast from the past, haven't remembered/thought about him in ages!

I'm yet to be convinced that punting Smart was for the better. He was very good at his job.

As for Edge. I'd have thought he would have been first in line for the chop if we were looking at fresh ideas.
^ x2. But during the elections I believe Terry Leabeater assured all and sundry that Edge's job would be safe...

bartman

Immortal
Did I get that wrong Mickdo?

I think Fish and myself suggested at the time that the first area of the club that needed performance improvement was Sales and Marketing. Like Fish has said above, in terms of fresh ideas on this front I think any change to what Terry had previously suggested would actually be in the club's best interest.

fish eel

Immortal
I dont remember sevens saying Edge was safe. He might have, but I dont remember it.

No offence to Steve, but he doesn't strike me as a modern day marketing person and I think thats an area where we all (if not most) agreed the club could do better. I see on the staff list, there are other marketing people at the club, and Edge's name doesnt appear on the corporate flyer. It would probably be win win if, as a premiership winning skipper he could be kept on at some capacity in that area while fresh blood brings the club up to speed.

Ross Smart though, I thought he was pretty switched on and very good at his job. I was surprised and disappointed to read he was gone, though over time we may see that decisio vindicated.

bartman

Immortal
OK, I remember it clearly enough... but such is life. If he wishes to dispute it himself, he knows how.

sooty

Juniors
OK, I remember it clearly enough... but such is life. If he wishes to dispute it himself, he knows how.

Bart,

I dont think sevens has to come aboard and justify himself. Edgy has been good for the joint and is still around and will hopefully continue to raise revenue for the club. The new staff have the job ahead think GFC and chance of a slow start this year (touch wood im wrong) however the outlook is bright shine on I say.

Suitman

Post Whore
I don't ever remember Sevens saying that either. Seems like you are the only one Bart, but it might have been at a meeting that I didn't attend.
I certainly do not remember Terry guaranteeing anyone's jobs tbh.

Suity

bartman

Immortal
It's no biggie in my book.

I just remember someone (who I thought was Terry) responding to a thread about changes we'd like to see with the club... when our Sales and Marketing was roundly criticised we were told that Edge was doing a good job, and that he wouldn't be part of the changes we were seeing unfold (in terms of staff leaving).

I have looked using the site's search function but can't find the post, nor can I now remember which of the many discussion threads it might have appeared. But the points made by Fishy above (with which I agree) feel like deja vu to me, and I'm sure were outlined here to someone with some sway at the time.

Anyway, if it wasn't Terry I stand corrected... It's just an internet forum, and no-one's asking anyone to "come aboard and justify himself". My memory was questioned by an emoticon, and I responded to the effect that (based on past experience) I'm sure Terry would correct that memory if it was wrong. Just like an regular member of the forums do with each other on a regular basis.

It wasn't Sevens, It was Brett Kenny in a Pre-Election press article, that said something along the lines of Edgy is great and a large number of sponsors would walk if he was gone from the club, but "we" want to give him all the help we can.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...nt-survival-plan/story-e6frexq0-1111118325913

Telegraph Article said:
"We want to ask some questions about what's been happening," Kenny said last night.

"We think the football team should be run by the football club so we will be asking about that.

"I think we also need to give (marketing manager) Steve Edge some help.
"'Edgey' has done a great job and I know a lot of sponsors are there virtually because of Steve Edge. One sponsor told me if he left, the sponsor would go too.

eels81236

Bench
It's no biggie in my book.

I just remember someone (who I thought was Terry) responding to a thread about changes we'd like to see with the club... when our Sales and Marketing was roundly criticised we were told that Edge was doing a good job, and that he wouldn't be part of the changes we were seeing unfold (in terms of staff leaving).

I have looked using the site's search function but can't find the post, nor can I now remember which of the many discussion threads it might have appeared. But the points made by Fishy above (with which I agree) feel like deja vu to me, and I'm sure were outlined here to someone with some sway at the time.

Anyway, if it wasn't Terry I stand corrected... It's just an internet forum, and no-one's asking anyone to "come aboard and justify himself". My memory was questioned by an emoticon, and I responded to the effect that (based on past experience) I'm sure Terry would correct that memory if it was wrong. Just like an regular member of the forums do with each other on a regular basis.

I'm sure that people will discredit it just because I am saying it but.....
It was DEFINATELY mentioned in the now defuct election thread that Edge's job was safe. He just needed some help apparently.
Blind freddy could see that this sort of info was going to be lost to the never never when the election thread was deleted. It's either unfortunate or convenient, whichever way you look at it.

Stagger eel

Staff member
all this talk about Edge supposedly getting the arse and yet no one at the club has come out to confirm it.

bartman

Immortal
Thanks for finding the quote by Bert, MITS.

And thanks 1236 for pointing me in the direction of the (now deleted) original Elections thread for the source of my memory of it being stated on the forums - no wonder my search for the post came up empty. Perhaps I'm not going crazy in my old age at all :crazy:

fish eel

Immortal
all this talk about Edge supposedly getting the arse and yet no one at the club has come out to confirm it.

there's not much talk of that stagger, in fact talk that he had been given the arse pretty much stopped when C posted a staff list.....

Stagger eel

Staff member
there's not much talk of that stagger, in fact talk that he had been given the arse pretty much stopped when C posted a staff list.....

but we're still speculating about something that was supposedly said before the ellection :?..come on guys, get a grip..

bartman

Immortal
If we limited all of our discussions to just things and issues that the club has come out to confirm, this forum would be a boring place.

Can't talk about the game until the club has issued it's matrch report... can't talk about the possible team for next round until club has issued it... can't talk about injuries sustained in athe game until the club has confirmed a return date... etc.