What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rothfield

Nuffy

Bench
The wanker is into us again big time this morning.

I know we should ignore him etc etc., but honestly this guy needs to be put out to pasture.

Until they start winning its not going to stop anytime soon.

Joker's Wild

Coach
541434-knights-recruits.jpg

WAYNE Bennett has only himself to blame for the mess that is the Newcastle Knights.

Their fall from pre-season premiership favouritism to the competition's biggest disappointments can only be put down to poor recruitment.

All the fanfare about the seven-time premiership coach arriving in the Hunter camouflaged serious issues over their new signings.

They went for quantity more than quality in Adam Cuthbertson, Danny Buderus, Timana Tahu, Willie Mason, Darius Boyd and Kade Snowden.

Boyd and Snowden, who are soaking up $800,000 of the salary cap, have been the biggest flops because of the size of their pay packets.

Blog with Buzz: Join Phil from 9:00 AM Monday and have your say.

Snowden has gone from being an Origin-class front-rower at the Sharks to just another forward.

His only decent game was against his old club in round two. In fairness to Bennett, the club's billionaire owner Nathan Tinkler personally signed him before Bennett had agreed to the coaching job.

Boyd might have scored two tries in the Origin game but all he did was stroll down the left touchline, unmarked, when Akuila Uate left the passage open.

His form in Newcastle has been terrible and he had another shocker against the Titans in the loss on Saturday night.

The other signings haven't produced either.

I don't want to be critical of Buderus because he's a club legend and he's earning only $100,000 for his final season. But, seriously, how was he ever in contention for the NSW side? He has suffered a lot of injuries and his battered old body is no longer up to the week-in, week-out demands of the NRL.

Tahu, Cuthbertson and Mason came relatively cheap too. I said at the time Mason was past it when Bennett signed him. It was a nice marketing ploy and got people through the turnstiles, but there are only so many times you can watch Willie play when your team is getting regularly rolled.

Tahu hasn't been any better. His best days were way behind him even when he was in the centres at Parramatta and Penrith.

And Cuthbertson? He was signed from St George Illawarra, having joined the Dragons the year AFTER they won the premiership, and is just a player.

In the dressing room after the Titans loss, Bennett blamed the players and said it's getting harder every week to pick a team.

But who signed them all?

And how is it going to improve next season with only Beau Scott, another player who has reached his peak, coming from St George Illawarra.

He's the only player they can afford because the salary cap is stretched to the limit, even for 2013.

"My greatest difficulty right now is I've got to pick the team," Bennett said. "If everyone is doing their job, they pick themselves.

"But whoever seems to get an opportunity, no one is grabbing it.

"There are not enough of them saying to me, 'I've got to be in the team. I deserve to be there on my performances'."

It's hard to believe how the Knights have fallen so dramatically since last season. Rick Stone was on a quarter of Bennett's salary but still got them into the top eight with no Snowden, no Boyd and no Buderus.

The Kurt Gidley injury has been costly.

But there are a number of players, including Uate and Jarrod Mullen, who performed better for the cut-price coach.

No one expected a premiership in Bennett's first year, even if the bookies had them favourites. But the fans certainly expected a better performance than Saturday night's rubbish.

linkidink

shane1970

Juniors
Cut it out - BLOW THE f**kER UP 10 TIMES IN SIZE & stick it ALL over the dressing room walls ! If that dont put a fire in the belly of all the players mentioned NOTHING WILL - Shit it even got me fired up just reading the crap.

Big Tim

First Grade
Cut it out - BLOW THE f**kER UP 10 TIMES IN SIZE & stick it ALL over the dressing room walls ! If that dont put a fire in the belly of all the players mentioned NOTHING WILL - Shit it even got me fired up just reading the crap.

Agreed.

aqua_duck

Coach
Slothfield is a slack journo, for a bloke whose job it is to be on top of it all the least he could do is actually watch the games, because if he did he'd realise Mason has been our best player over the past month

Serc

First Grade
He's just writing stuff to get people to read papers/click on articles online with advertising draped down the sides...

For example listing Tahu and Mason is obviously wrong but for the majority of the readership, they don't watch Knights games every week, so there's some easy reputations that people will agree with.

Yosh

Coach
Jeez that's a gee up... Hope the players read that because it should piss them off real good.

perverse

Referee
Rothfield can suck my fat hairy dick. As some have said, hopefully the team uses the article to fire up a bit.

Johns Magic

Referee
Rothfield publishes an article saying we have absolutely no cap-space and Beau Scott will be the only signing we can make.

Several hours later the Knights sign an extremely hardly chased up and coming star.

Just shows you how much this f**kwit actually knows. What a shame when people like him who know as much about footy as my dog get the plum jobs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Johns Magic

Referee
This is the guy who 12 months ago named Steve Kearney the second best coach in the NRL.

There's not a poster on LU with less league knowledge than Rothfield.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Dane Laurie? Did we even sign him? I thought he had a run out of the local comp

Rothfield cant even be f**ked hiding his Cronulla bias. What a useless twat

Johns Magic

Referee
Even bunniesman?

Absolutely.

Rothfield shows no ability to read the game, or look beyond what happened in the last fortnight.

If anyone could be bothered making a compilation of Rothfield's articles they'd see how often the things he writes get proven to be embarrassingly wrong.

Kearney the second best NRL coach :lol:

Latest posts