What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 team:

betcats

Referee
Never really paid Yeo a lot of attention so can't really comment, he went well in the nines from what I saw.

Personally I'd rather Dallin play NSW cup for a bit against men before he is put in FG, especially if he is going to be outside Simmons, who is not a centre.

Kilkenny

Coach
Ivan Cleary and the other members of the coaching staff work with the players each and every day and they obviously believe YEO is up to the task. That's good enough for me.

Has Idris been officially ruled out or does he remain doubtful?

mxlegend99

Referee
Right, wouldn't want to risk what happened to Papalii and Milford happening to DWZ.
Getting thrown in early and having other clubs throw massive money at them and push up their prices? I wouldn't want that either.

There are plenty of guys thrown in who look good at first and then never really kick on. We had the likes of Masada Iosefa, Jarrod Sammut, Harry Siejka, Blake Austin etc. come through and never really reach their expectations despite having massive wraps on them. IMO it was because of the way they were brought through. There was absolutely no development from our coaching staff for them or the likes of Michael Jennings, Lachlan Coote, Wade Graham etc. The ones who kicked on were because they were because of how naturally talented they were, and once moving on to other clubs looked even better again.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
For all the speed we have in the lower grades, it would be nice if some of it made its way to the first team occasionally.

betcats

Referee
It wouldnt be the footy season if Chris wasnt trying to get one of our young guns a run in FG. Anyway I will be watching the progression of Blake Austin and Toby Evans closesly this season since they are both already better then Wallace.

chrisD

Coach
Getting thrown in early and having other clubs throw massive money at them and push up their prices? I wouldn't want that either.

There are plenty of guys thrown in who look good at first and then never really kick on. We had the likes of Masada Iosefa, Jarrod Sammut, Harry Siejka, Blake Austin etc. come through and never really reach their expectations despite having massive wraps on them. IMO it was because of the way they were brought through. There was absolutely no development from our coaching staff for them or the likes of Michael Jennings, Lachlan Coote, Wade Graham etc. The ones who kicked on were because they were because of how naturally talented they were, and once moving on to other clubs looked even better again.

Or make an Australian team, become superstars, become the team's best players, yeah who would want that? We don't want players becoming stars because it would push their price up? Brilliant idea, let's run with that and not debut anyone ever then.

None of those players (but for Jennings) are like DWZ (or Cartwright), Jennings has never looked better than in 09, Coote looked better since moving? Graham's path was natural maturity. DWZ is like Milford, and the sky isn't going to fall down around him if he were to play a game of first grade on the wing, he's already had more football against "men" than Milford did, and amazingly Milford didn't drop dead from collision or forget how to catch a ball for having debuted young.

It wouldnt be the footy season if Chris wasnt trying to get one of our young guns a run in FG. Anyway I will be watching the progression of Blake Austin and Toby Evans closesly this season since they are both already better then Wallace.

Do that, but don't forget to keep tabs on the world's best prop Graham either.
http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=401416

Last edited:

Kilkenny

Coach
Just when you think we have improved our depth considerably for 2014 is looking increasingly likely a debut is on the cards for Yeo. No one would have predicted such an outcome. I'm not complaining he's obviously done well in pre season and is highly regarded but you have to feel sorry for say George Jennings who by all accounts has really come on and most likely would have replaced Idris. Ironically in Round 1 we may already be using a player from our second tier cap after all the dramas of last season when we were unable to debut some youngsters due to cap issues.

chrisD

Coach
Yes, no-one would have guessed our (possibly) third best NYC (and he was mostly NYC) back rower would start the season as our first grade centre.

Kilkenny

Coach
Anyone but Brown at centre and I'm ok

Personally I am surprised coach Cleary hasn't gone to Lewis Brown. He did a very solid job filling in last season and for the Warriors when called upon. Yes he is better in the back row but he certainly never let's us down regardless of where he plays, he is a real tough competitor. Maybe the fact we also have a number of injuries in the back row had something to do with his selections.

mxlegend99

Referee
Or make an Australian team, become superstars, become the team's best players, yeah who would want that? We don't want players becoming stars because it would push their price up? Brilliant idea, let's run with that and not debut anyone ever then.

None of those players (but for Jennings) are like DWZ (or Cartwright), Jennings has never looked better than in 09, Coote looked better since moving? Graham's path was natural maturity. DWZ is like Milford, and the sky isn't going to fall down around him if he were to play a game of first grade on the wing, he's already had more football against "men" than Milford did, and amazingly Milford didn't drop dead from collision or forget how to catch a ball for having debuted young.

Do that, but don't forget to keep tabs on the world's best prop Graham either.
http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=401416
If we drive their prices up and lose them, how does that help us at all? We have money tied up in other players at the moment. If we're patient and develop players properly, they can come in and replace players as they come off contract.

Dallin Watene-Zelezniak will have a long career for us. If we go about it the right way. The last thing we need is for him to be the next Wade Graham. Come through, show some potential but not immediately excel and then end up at another club who is willing to be patient with him and pay him for the potential he has.

Deadset if we throw in the likes of DWZ, Cartright, Nabouli, Jennings, Roberts etc. right away they will have huge money thrown at them if they're successful and we will likely lose them due to having money tied up in Simmons, Mansour, W. Naiqama and so on. If they fail they will fall down the pecking order and struggle to ever reach their potential with us.

Yes, no-one would have guessed our (possibly) third best NYC (and he was mostly NYC) back rower would start the season as our first grade centre.
Well maybe that's because he has been moved to centre through the off-season, forget where he played last year. Look where he was named to playing in reserve grade this week. He can't possibly be worse then Brad Tighe or Wes Naiqama would have been. If he is getting a run ahead of Dallin Watene-Zelzniak and Kevin Naiqama, he must be impressing the right people.

Last edited:
If you also don't play a player of Cartwright's ability he'll tell you to get f**ked and go where he'll get a start just like Peachey

Kilkenny

Coach
If we drive their prices up and lose them, how does that help us at all? We have money tied up in other players at the moment. If we're patient and develop players properly, they can come in and replace players as they come off contract.

Dallin Watene-Zelezniak will have a long career for us. If we go about it the right way. The last thing we need is for him to be the next Wade Graham. Come through, show some potential but not immediately excel and then end up at another club who is willing to be patient with him and pay him for the potential he has.

Deadset if we throw in the likes of DWZ, Cartright, Nabouli, Jennings, Roberts etc. right away they will have huge money thrown at them if they're successful and we will likely lose them due to having money tied up in Simmons, Mansour, W. Naiqama and so on. If they fail they will fall down the pecking order and struggle to ever reach their potential with us.

Well maybe that's because he has been moved to centre through the off-season, forget where he played last year. Look where he was named to playing in reserve grade this week. He can't possibly be worse then Brad Tighe or Wes Naiqama would have been. If he is getting a run ahead of Dallin Watene-Zelzniak and Kevin Naiqama, he must be impressing the right people.

From what I have seen DWZ is a potential superstar, at fullback. He can do a job on the wing as well but fullback is his true position and I suspect he and Moss will be battling for the position either sometime this season or certainly 2015. Wes only has one more year with us and that will be it for him. If fit and well Whare and Idris will obviously be our starting centres throughout 2014 and other backline positions in the 1,2 and 5 are very much up for grabs in my opinion and it is unfortunate the like of Nabouli, Jennings and Moss are already on the sidelines with injuries.

Nealo 12

First Grade
We are notoriously slow starters for some reason ...just hope we can shake that off and have a red hot go, instead of putting pressure on the back end of the season and just miss the top 8 by a couple of points.

chrisD

Coach