What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 10 Panthers V Storm

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
dnI love weet bix multi grain. Have had them close to every morning for the past two decades

What are your feelings on the disjointed right side attack and Salmon's cameo?

When penrith have a win against the storm giving them their heaviest defeat ever. by penrith, couldn't give a shit, that one side of the attack, scored more than the other.

the carryon doom and gloom by a couple of posters is comedy gold. the continal pretendng, and postulating that you know more than the coaching staffs is delusional.

Me i'm happy for the win, enjoying the success of team and the club without this pretentious bull shit.

ps. i've noticed the wannabe coaches are very quiet about luai and cleary tonight.

Smug Panther

First Grade
When penrith have a win against the storm giving them their heaviest defeat ever. by penrith, couldn't give a shit, that one side of the attack, scored more than the other.

the carryon doom and gloom by a couple of posters is comedy gold. the continal pretendng, and postulating that you know more than the coaching staffs is delusional.

Me i'm happy for the win, enjoying the success of team and the club without this pretentious bull shit.

ps. i've noticed the wannabe coaches are very quiet about luai and cleary tonight.
All discussed Luai at length you sour merkin

Iamback

Coach
They are getting worse imo

We have played 2 good defensive teams. Meaney played wing to pressure guys like Edwards.
He should of passed atleast once. Got belted a couple of times. Put a pass forward another time.
Threw the last pass for Critters try.
So the ball is getting moved a bit

To'o try last week. I think was a try that was off a Crichton pass. A few passes Staines put down too. A pretty good flick pass tonight.

Atleast he is scoring. The only centre to of scored more tries is Tago

Edwards. Has more try assists than Tedesco and Ponga who will be the Origin fullbacks.
Currently has 5 try assists. His best year he had 7. So should beat that

Girds89

Bench
To all who doubted Kiks this year.....

Get in line and apologise.

Hes the best 2nd rower in the game by far. Id let critta go to keep him.. maybe too as well..

He will be biggest loss maybe ever. No junior coming through has even half the ability he does.

And sorry to put the sour note on it but anyone that doesnt think paps and hughes significantly change that game is off their head.

Basically 2 of the top 10 players in game..they play and its completly different..

Happy to belt storm and can only play whats in fromt of u but add those two its a different game.

What are your feelings on the disjointed right side attack and Salmon's cameo?

The right didn’t look disjointed; actually looked quite sharp. I think there was twice when the wrong option was taken but on both occasions we still scored in the same set of six (or next set after the penalty). Impressed with Edwards’ improvement as a ball player and like the look of Critta when he gets into space. Does feel like To’o is a waste out there (is it time to re-evaluate Staines’ early 2022 performances?)

Salmon is an insurance policy and like all insurance the premium looks a waste when it is not required. Much like May, lets judge Salmon’s value when he comes in to play the role he is in the side for (again, much like May last year in the first game vs Storm). But let’s not go on like he was dire; he just didn’t look as good as the SOO half he replaced. His contributions were fine and he looked no better or worse than Cooper Johns as a back-up half.

Hes the best 2nd rower in the game by far. Id let critta go to keep him.. maybe too as well..

He will be biggest loss maybe ever. No junior coming through has even half the ability he does.

I am a Kikau doubter; I thought he would regress this year. Delighted I am wrong.

But I still think letting him go next year is the right decision. I work in finance and there is something known as Stein’s Law; ‘if something cannot go on forever it must stop’. Kikau is a huge man who relies on his athleticism; that is a combination with a shelf life.

I don’t know when Kikau’s athletics OSM will start to wain; I though it would this year but o am definitely wrong. If anything, he is displaying better athleticism this year. And maybe next year he is 90% of what he is this year, which would still make him elite. But the risk of paying him more than this year and signing him to a long contract is real, and I understand (given salary cap calculus) the decision not to resign him.

So I agree we will definitely miss him; the last three or four weeks have been sustained brilliance; the only thing that compares from a Penrith perspective is prime Tony P, and he would only show glimpses in a game. We’ll need to find a different way next year.

I wonder how To'o would go as centre with Critta outside him? Or Staines as centre inside critta with To'o back on the left?
I think the reality is putting a right handed player on the left is hard. Critta’s natural instinct is to carry the ball under his right arm that makes it hard to pass to the right in contact (unless it is one of the low percentage flick passes).

If people were really worried (and I hasten to add I am not as I think the right is looking better each game; To’o seems to come back underneath a bit more than Staines and that has helped) I think it would be interesting to try Tago on the right. He seems to hold the ball in two hands out front a bit more (which comes with it own issues re handling as Smug likes to point out) which may mean we lose less strike with him on the right.

Luke Bowden

First Grade

And sorry to put the sour note on it but anyone that doesnt think paps and hughes significantly change that game is off their head.

Basically 2 of the top 10 players in game..they play and its completly different..

Happy to belt storm and can only play whats in fromt of u but add those two its a different game.
Paps and Hughes are great players, but they need their team going forward, we completely dominated their forward pack.

I can’t understand the reluctance to acknowledge a great performance.

Even Cooper Cronk said it wouldn’t have mattered tonight.

Paps and Hughes are great players, but they need their team going forward, we completely dominated their forward pack.

I can’t understand the reluctance to acknowledge a great performance.

Even Cooper Cronk said it wouldn’t have mattered tonight.
I agree. I’ve just written in another thread that they missed Welch the most. They were so soft through the middle.

If they can’t improve that aspect and the cards fall right at finals time, it will be a Penrith/Parra GF.

martielang

Bench
Good win. Thought we may be a little complacent without Hughes and Pap playing but great to put them to the sword.

Kiks was ridiculous, his defence and aggression is miles ahead of what it’s ever been

Leota has been immense. What a return.

I don’t understand why we didn’t give Salman more time on an edge last night when we were comfortably ahead. He’s on a hiding to nothing coming on with 5 to go at 5/8th when we’d clocked off. Give him 30+ on an edge or give him a full game in NSW cup.

Iamback

Coach
Crichton is a left side player. Playing on the right will take time. Especially as Martin is so predictable for defences to read.

Watch Farnsworth at the Broncs. He is a right side player now on the left. Oates was getting no ball and comes in and does moves to get it. Get something going for To'o

Iamback

Coach
I think the reality is putting a right handed player on the left is hard. Critta’s natural instinct is to carry the ball under his right arm that makes it hard to pass to the right in contact (unless it is one of the low percentage flick passes).

If people were really worried (and I hasten to add I am not as I think the right is looking better each game; To’o seems to come back underneath a bit more than Staines and that has helped) I think it would be interesting to try Tago on the right. He seems to hold the ball in two hands out front a bit more (which comes with it own issues re handling as Smug likes to point out) which may mean we lose less strike with him on the right.

I watch plenty of lower grades. Crichton is a left centre.
The side needs him to play on the right it will take time.

age.s

First Grade
I thought Edwards ball playing was fine yesterday. His catch/pass when Critta was held up by Munster was sublime. He was where he needed to be for Crittas try in the second half, albeit he could have engaged the line a bit better. Ill have to watch it again but I thought most of the missed opportunities on the right came down to someone (different culprits) not straightening properly and the general lack of space the side has in general which contrasts to the side with Kikau. The bombed opportunities on the left were worse.

How spoiled are we to be having arguments about this though? Big step from arguing who would be less disastrous out of Maurice Blair and Travis Burns.

Latest posts