What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 11 v Sharks

Dragonslayer

First Grade
NRL squad for Round 11 v Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks –
1. Cody Ramsey – sponsored by EFEX
2. Max Feagai – sponsored by Aspec Masonry
3. Jack Bird – sponsored by Kingsgrove Sports Centre
4. Billy Burns – sponsored by Floormania
5. Jordan Pereira – sponsored by Wollongong Jetski
6. Corey Norman – sponsored by TripADeal
7. Ben Hunt (c) – sponsored by Narellan Pools Illawarra
8. Blake Lawrie – sponsored by Gym Solutions
9. Andrew McCullough – sponsored by Dincel Construction System
10. Paul Vaughan – sponsored by Fox and Jones
11. Josh Kerr – sponsored by Sneaky Burger
12. Jackson Ford – sponsored by TLE Alexandria
13. Poasa Faamausili – sponsored by Modus Projects

Interchange:
14. Kaide Ellis – sponsored by CMG Audio Visual
15. Jaiyden Hunt – sponsored by Deicorp16. Daniel Alvaro – sponsored by Manna from Heaven
17. Talatau Amone – sponsored by Professionals Padstow
18. Adam Clune
19. Billy Brittain
20. Hayden Lomax
21. Gerard Beale

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2021/05/18/nrl-team-announcement-round-11-v-sharks/

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Re-assessed

1. Ramsey
2. Max F
3. Norman
4. Bird
5. Periera
6. Clune
7. Hunt
8. Lawrie
9. Macca
10. Vaughan
11. Kerr
12. Burns
13. Poasa

14. Ellis
15. Alvaro
16. Ford
17. Amone

Clune starts at 6 then move to hooker to give Macca a break and bring Amone on.

Yes- probably the best we can do given what's left- Burns is not a centre and must return to the pack. While I would like Ford to have been given a chance at centre and Norman will be the slowest centre on the field, we need him for his goalkicking.

Maddragon99

Juniors
NRL squad for Round 11 v Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks –
1. Cody Ramsey – sponsored by EFEX
2. Max Feagai – sponsored by Aspec Masonry
3. Jack Bird – sponsored by Kingsgrove Sports Centre
4. Billy Burns – sponsored by Floormania
5. Jordan Pereira – sponsored by Wollongong Jetski
6. Corey Norman – sponsored by TripADeal
7. Ben Hunt (c) – sponsored by Narellan Pools Illawarra
8. Blake Lawrie – sponsored by Gym Solutions
9. Andrew McCullough – sponsored by Dincel Construction System
10. Paul Vaughan – sponsored by Fox and Jones
11. Josh Kerr – sponsored by Sneaky Burger
12. Jackson Ford – sponsored by TLE Alexandria
13. Poasa Faamausili – sponsored by Modus Projects

Interchange:
14. Kaide Ellis – sponsored by CMG Audio Visual
15. Jaiyden Hunt – sponsored by Deicorp16. Daniel Alvaro – sponsored by Manna from Heaven
17. Talatau Amone – sponsored by Professionals Padstow
18. Adam Clune
19. Billy Brittain
20. Hayden Lomax
21. Gerard Beale

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2021/05/18/nrl-team-announcement-round-11-v-sharks/
Other than Burns at Centre I’m ok with the team, depending how he trains Beale might be a late inclusion with Burns back to the bench.

On the positive I’m looking forward to seeing Ramsey at fullback

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Other than Burns at Centre I’m ok with the team, depending how he trains Beale might be a late inclusion with Burns back to the bench.

On the positive I’m looking forward to seeing Ramsey at fullback
Hopefully his ankle doesn’t hamper him too much. He should bring different things to the Duftman but he’s young enough to learn his trade from a good coach.

DamoV

Juniors
I can’t believe Burns keeps getting a run. Did he make a tackle on the weekend? He looks completely lost out there. I realise he’s playing out of position but surely a good edge backrower should be able to hold his own defending at centre. Bring on Beale :confused:

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I can’t believe Burns keeps getting a run. Did he make a tackle on the weekend? He looks completely lost out there. I realise he’s playing out of position but surely a good edge backrower should be able to hold his own defending at centre. Bring on Beale :confused:
He has real potential at backrow if he ever gets to play there. I personally wouldn’t have in the centre’s injury aside. Let’s hope there are some late changes. Other than that pretty happy with the side.Good to see Amone get another run and J.Hunt.

TruSaint

Referee
Why Ramsey's shot at fullback could influence Dufty's future

Dragons players have backed Cody Ramsey's move to the No.1 jersey and the club’s recruitment of former New Zealand centre Gerard Beale after losing fullback Matt Dufty with a shoulder injury and four others to suspension.

St George Illawarra coach Anthony Griffin shifted former NSW Origin representative Jack Bird from centre to fullback after Dufty was forced from the field during last weekend’s 34-18 loss to Melbourne but he has chosen to give Ramsey his chance in the role against Cronulla on Friday night.

With Ramsey preferring to play fullback over wing and the Dragons also having teen star Tyrell Sloan in their squad, the performance of the 21-year-old may have an influence on the long term future of Dufty, who is off contract at the end of the season.

"I think it is a good opportunity and it is good for the club to see what we have got in Cody Ramsey," St George Illawarra captain Ben Hunt said.

"He trained a lot there during the pre-season, and played a bit in trial games and had flashes of excitement, so I think it is a good opportunity to really see what he has got."

Bird, who will remain at left centre with Max Feagai on the wing, said the Dragons would miss Dufty but team-mates had confidence in Ramsey.

"It is just next man-up mentality," Bird said. "I am pretty sure Cody has always wanted to play fullback and this is his opportunity."

"Duft is going to be a massive loss for us, he is a great player and a great fullback, and he brings something different to our team but it is his [Ramsey’s] opportunity to show what he can do."

Griffin has resisted the temptation to rush Beale into the starting line-up after he flew from Brisbane on Tuesday afternoon to join the Dragons ahead of the local derby at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium.

Beale was signed for the rest of 2021 on a training contract, eight months after announcing his NRL retirement from a 194-game NRL career that saw him start under Griffin in Brisbane's under 20s.

Beale, who had been playing for Brisbane Tigers in the QRL's Intrust Super Cup, previously played for St George Illawarra in 2013-14 before joining Cronulla, where he played alongside Bird in the club's 2016 premiership-winning team.

“I was here with him at the Dragons and we went to the Sharks together so I am pretty close friends with Bealey," Bird said.

"I learned a lot off him at the Sharks and he was definitely someone I looked up to. I am sure he can do a job for us and I am looking forward to playing with him again."

remote.axd

Dragons finish with a long-range effort to Ramsey

Dragons finish with a long-range effort to Ramsey

The decision to sign Beale, who was named in the 21-man squad for the Cronulla clash, came after talks with Wests Tigers player Moses Mbye fell over.

Griffin is understood to have met with Mbye last month after he was granted permission by the Tigers to speak with rival clubs for 2022, despite being under contract for one more season.

With hooker/lock Cameron McInnes ruled out for the season with a knee injury and a lack of depth in the centres, Griffin was looking to sign a utility player who can cover most positions in the backline and dummy half.

However, discussions with Mybe are believed to have stalled as the Tigers did not want to release him for this season and the Dragons baulked at his price tag if they were to sign him on a longer-term deal.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/05/18/dragons-eye-recruits--but-mybe-off-radar/

getsmarty

Immortal
2021-rd11_preview-3-cro-v-sgi.jpg

MATCH PREVIEW

Sharks v Dragons: All eyes on Johnson; Bans force mass changes
Author
NRL.com
Timestamp
Tue 18 May 2021, 04:01 PM
Share on social media
The challenge of a local derby could be just what Cronulla need as the club looks for a way to snap a six-game losing streak and arrest an accelerating slide out of contention.

The Sharks must relocate the grit and defensive resolve that has defined the club for so long because St George have built a brand of imposing themselves physically on opposition sides this season. Cronulla will need a lot more of what veteran prop Andrew Fifita delivered in his first game of the season.

Cronulla's second-half fightback to get to within four points of South Sydney on Saturday is encouraging but interim coach Josh Hannay is looking for more, particularly better fifth tackle options.

A date with their arch-rivals won't be an easy assignment after the Dragons' gutsy display against competition heavyweights Melbourne despite being down a man for much of the contest.

Coach Anthony Griffin has instilled a lot of fight in St George Illawarra and while they will be looking for more consistency from week to week Griffin knows they won't lie down if things go against them. That resilience will be further tested by the injury and judiciary consequences of their trip to Brisbane.

Match: Sharks v Dragons

Round 11 - Friday 21st May

7:55pm

Home Team

Sharks

14th Position

Away Team

Dragons

6th Position

Venue: Netstrata Jubilee Stadium, Sydney

Match broadcasters:

• Nine Network
  • Kayo
  • Foxtel
Buy Tickets
The rundown
Team news
Sharks: No changes to the 17 which went down to the Rabbitohs in Magic Round. Shaun Johnson injured his hamstring in training last week and missed the Souths game, which would have been his 200th NRL game. He has been named in the reserves this week and the club is hopeful he'll be good to go.

Dragons: The Dragons will be without Josh McGuire (five weeks), Tyrell Fuimaono (five weeks), Mikaele Ravalawa (two weeks) and Tariq Sims (one week) after all four entered guilty please to charges generated during the Magic Round loss to Melbourne. Fullback Matt Dufty (shoulder) is also sidelined.

Cody Ramsey shifts from wing to fullback while Jordan Pereira returns from suspension on one wing and youngster Max Feagai is the other winger.

Billy Burns comes into the centres for Fuimaono while the new back-rowers are Jackson Ford and Poasa Faamausili.

Prop Jaiyden Hunt has been named to make his NRL debut from the bench where he will be joined by second-gamer Junior Amone, Kaide Ellis and Daniel Alvaro.

Match: Sharks v Dragons

Round 11 - Friday 21st May

7:55pm

Home Team

Sharks

Away Team

Dragons

Venue: Netstrata Jubilee Stadium, Sydney

Team Lists
Backs
  • Fullback for Sharks is number 1 William Kennedy

Fullback for Dragons is number 1 Cody Ramsey
  • Winger for Sharks is number 2 Mawene Hiroti

Winger for Dragons is number 2 Max Feagai
  • Centre for Sharks is number 3 Josh Dugan

Centre for Dragons is number 3 Jack Bird
  • Centre for Sharks is number 4 Will Chambers

Centre for Dragons is number 4 Billy Burns
  • Winger for Sharks is number 5 Connor Tracey

Winger for Dragons is number 5 Jordan Pereira
  • Five-Eighth for Sharks is number 6 Matt Moylan

Five-Eighth for Dragons is number 6 Corey Norman
  • Halfback for Sharks is number 7 Chad Townsend

Halfback for Dragons is number 7 Ben Hunt
Forwards
  • Prop for Sharks is number 8 Aiden Tolman

Prop for Dragons is number 8 Blake Lawrie
  • Hooker for Sharks is number 9 Blayke Brailey

Hooker for Dragons is number 9 Andrew McCullough
  • Prop for Sharks is number 10 Aaron Woods

Prop for Dragons is number 10 Paul Vaughan
  • 2nd Row for Sharks is number 11 Briton Nikora

2nd Row for Dragons is number 11 Josh Kerr
  • 2nd Row for Sharks is number 12 Wade Graham

2nd Row for Dragons is number 12 Jackson Ford
  • Lock for Sharks is number 13 Toby Rudolf

Lock for Dragons is number 13 Poasa Faamausili
Interchange
  • Interchange for Sharks is number 14 Braydon Trindall

Interchange for Dragons is number 14 Kaide Ellis
  • Interchange for Sharks is number 15 Teig Wilton

Interchange for Dragons is number 15 Jaiyden Hunt
  • Interchange for Sharks is number 16 Jack Williams

Interchange for Dragons is number 16 Daniel Alvaro
  • Interchange for Sharks is number 17 Andrew Fifita

Interchange for Dragons is number 17 Junior Amone
Reserves
  • Reserve for Sharks is number 18 Shaun Johnson

Reserve for Dragons is number 18 Adam Clune
  • Reserve for Sharks is number 19 Billy Magoulias

Reserve for Dragons is number 19 Billy Brittain
  • Reserve for Sharks is number 20 Franklin Pele

Reserve for Dragons is number 20 Hayden Lomax
  • Reserve for Sharks is number 21 Jenson Taumoepeau

Reserve for Dragons is number 21 Gerard Beale
Sharks Ins
  • Franklin Pele
  • Jenson Taumoepeau
  • Shaun Johnson
Ins
Dragons Ins
  • Adam Clune
  • Billy Brittain
  • Gerard Beale
  • Hayden Lomax
  • Jackson Ford
  • Jaiyden Hunt
  • Jordan Pereira
  • Junior Amone
Sharks Outs

Outs
Dragons Ins
  • Josh McGuire
  • Matthew Dufty
  • Mikaele Ravalawa
  • Tariq Sims
  • Tyrell Fuimaono
Match Officials
  • Referee: Ben Cummins
  • Touch Judge: Chris Sutton
  • Touch Judge: Belinda Sharpe
  • Senior Review Official: Henry Perenara
Last updated: 10:42 pm Tuesday 18th May 2021

Key match-up
Will Kennedy v Cody Ramsey: The Sharks No.1 has been one of the standouts in a tough season to date and his evasive skills will keep the Dragons on their toes. Should the revamped Red V defensive combinations miss their assignments, Kennedy will make them pay. Ramsey is an up-and-comer with plenty of speed who finds himself shifted to fullback in the absence of the injured Matt Dufty. He can expect plenty of high balls raining down on him as the Sharks kickers test him out.

Stat attack
The Dragons (344) and Cronulla (342) have missed more tackles than any other team in the competition while Sharks Toby Rudolf (42) and Chad Townsend (40) rank No.1 and No.2 in the individual category. Whoever cleans up their defensive act best will be well on the way to victory.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/05/17...eyes-on-johnson-braced-for-judiciary-fallout/

I would play Norman in the centres and Amone at 6

Burns to the bench

Or if Beale is good to go, play him in the centres with Burns to the bench.

Good to see Jayden Hunt and Ford get a run.

Any more injuries in the back line and we will see Sloan and Schiller make debuts:)

Inisai Toga

Juniors
I would play Norman in the centres and Amone at 6

Burns to the bench

Or if Beale is good to go, play him in the centres with Burns to the bench.

Good to see Jayden Hunt and Ford get a run.

Any more injuries in the back line and we will see Sloan and Schiller make debuts:)
Yes, hope Ford has a good game. Gotta take the opportunities when they come to you and he didn’t really do that in the trial. A strong showing here will put him in the mix for the rest of the year, but will need to bring his defensive game. Hope he goes well!

Latest posts