What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 13 - v Panthers

denis preston

First Grade
Excellent post, mate.

I agree and I'm not sure where people think the improvement has come from or where they're seeing the improvement.

At the same time in last year's season we had conceded less points and scored more, yet people somehow think the attack has improved under Fraudagan and the defence has improved as well.

Sure we have two extra wins in the W column than this time last year, however between rounds 6-10 we lost all five games and by margins of 2 (in 3 of the losses), 6 (in one of the losses) and 1 (in 1 of the losses). If one or two things had gone our way in that string of losses, we could be sitting here now with less wins than last year.

So I agree with you and haven't noticed anything so far this year to say the team has improved year on year. Flanagan appears to be clueless and there is no rebuild happening at all, things will get worse.

Holding on to Hook until we could get a top line coach in the mould of Bennett would've been a better solution.
You finally come up with an alternative to Flanagan and it was to keep Hook …. That’s gold !!!

BLM01

First Grade
Panthers have 5 away at origin. Plus many injured players but yet they are favourites with the betting agencies.
This is how pathetic weak our team of imposters are.
I remember in the Brown and Bennett era we would have 9 or 10 in SOO duties yet we would win.
OH HOW THE MIGHTY HAVE FALLEN !
What has happened to my beloved MIGHTY DRAGONS?
Well we have equal highest rep in origin behind Roosters and Penrith Broncos super clubs snd Cowboys who are always high for QLD
How does that work if we are such a crap side?
Oh well it seems if the squad must of improved under Flanno this year
Believe that !
Also and advantage to have players who pledge allegiance to Pacific Island's or NZ

Rocket Rod

Juniors
Well we have equal highest rep in origin behind Roosters and Penrith Broncos super clubs snd Cowboys who are always high for QLD
How does that work if we are such a crap side?
Oh well it seems if the squad must of improved under Flanno this year
Believe that !
Also and advantage to have players who pledge allegiance to Pacific Island's or NZ
Well it’s like this
Want away Zac the brat was finally put in his right position by flanno and guess what he’s playing up to all the hype he always had
J Sua has been in good form of late and injuries have helped
And capt clueless is picked in his rightful position at which he excels

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
Well it’s like this
Want away Zac the brat was finally put in his right position by flanno and guess what he’s playing up to all the hype he always had
J Sua has been in good form of late and injuries have helped
And capt clueless is picked in his rightful position at which he excels
All true, but why put a negative spin on it? The fact is that we have 3 SOO players, so "Well Done" to them and the coaching team.

justadragon

Bench
All true, but why put a negative spin on it? The fact is that we have 3 SOO players, so "Well Done" to them and the coaching team.
I dont think its negative spin OED, its just saying it as it is, we all know its the case especially for Lomax and Hunt. Lomax would have never have stood a chance if Flanno didnt put him on the wing, and as repayment he quits the club. But as you said well done to him, hope he excels. The interview with Nightingale pointed it all out, it was enough for me to hear it from a true Dragons legend and gentleman.

Rocket Rod

Juniors
I dont think its negative spin OED, its just saying it as it is, we all know its the case especially for Lomax and Hunt. Lomax would have never have stood a chance if Flanno didnt put him on the wing, and as repayment he quits the club. But as you said well done to him, hope he excels. The interview with Nightingale pointed it all out, it was enough for me to hear it from a true Dragons legend and gentleman.
Yes jd and same goes for our captain
He would not stand a chance being selected as a 7 for Qld but as a 9 he’s one of the best in the league
Just goes to show their Prima Donna sooky attitude and for what they are footballers who are paid handsomely to wear the # jersey they’re told to wear

56to66

Juniors
It will be a great effort by the Illawarra Steelers, with D Young as defensive coach, The Greatest Team of Rugby League History the Penrith Panthers, will win by only 22 points, D Young will be so excited by such a small loss
The Greatest Rugby Team of all Time 44 ILLAWARRA Steelers 22.
P Gould would be sitting back smoking a Cuban Cigar, thinking I created this Greatest team of all time, the epicentre of success.
I would love to see the Greatest team of all Time v Bullcraps vs the Rorters GF.
Imagine 3 team playing in the GF, what a masterpiece of Innovation, by the master coach, the voice of Rugby League.

Last edited:

since77

Juniors
I must be a masochist as this is the first game this year I'm going to go to the ground to watch.
Hopefully the Dragons can summon up a good performance for me and my son on Saturday.
Last time I went to Penrith Park the game was over at half time and that bloody Panther didn't stop snarling over the PA system....hopefully the Panther has a quiet one this week....

justadragon

Bench
It will be a great effort by the Illawarra Steelers, with D Young as defensive coach, The Greatest Team of Rugby League History the Penrith Panthers, will win by only 22 points, D Young will be so excited by such a small loss
The Greatest Rugby Team of all Time 44 ILLAWARRA Steelers 22.
P Gould would be sitting back smoking a Cuban Cigar, thinking I created this Greatest team of all time, the epicentre of success.
I would love to see the Greatest team of all Time v Bullcraps vs the Rorters GF.
Imagine 3 team playing in the GF, what a masterpiece of Innovation, by the master coach, the voice of Rugby League.
I think the main thing that Gould has set up at both those clubs is a very strong junior base where the talent emanates from and keeps on producing and that is where primarily the panthers get their strength from and Bulldogs are on track as well. My only wish is that we follow the same path and we know how to manage our juniors properly, we have a very good array of talent coming through, my hope is we dont f$#k it up.

justadragon

Bench
I must be a masochist as this is the first game this year I'm going to go to the ground to watch.
Hopefully the Dragons can summon up a good performance for me and my son on Saturday.
Last time I went to Penrith Park the game was over at half time and that bloody Panther didn't stop snarling over the PA system....hopefully the Panther has a quiet one this week....
Good luck mate, hope you and your son can get us home, it will be a tough gig regardless.

steerlerbab

Juniors
Congratulations to Sua, Hunt and Lomax for being picked to State of Origin. To certain extent it was good fortune too. Monster being not available and Fifita not playing good footy this year worked in favour of Hunt and Sua. Likewise Turbo being injured and Latrel being out of sorts opened the door for Lomax. Anyhow, all three played good footy and deserved their selection. I believe in couple of years we might even see Suli and Sloan in the State of Origin discussions.

However, this reveals the deficiencies of our first grade team.

1. Middle forward: we definitely need two top line middle forwards (we have to aim at developing Couchman's or Fifita or Tuitavake now that we have failed to attract one)
2. Half/Five Eight: Hunt will not be here 2026. Flanno (Sorry coach) and Marshke are solid workers but they are not top line. Don't expect top 8.
3. Backs: We need 3. Lomax is gone. Bird injury prone and deteriorating. Rava is not your modern day winger. His body shape is more suited to back row

Finally our Knock on Effect team is also doing well (top 8). There are few players like Couchmans that are knocking on the door

Dragon David

First Grade
Good to see that you like to feel the pain and so I hope that it will be worth it. Enjoy the game with your son since77. Bring on the win for us.

Dragon David

First Grade
I think the main thing that Gould has set up at both those clubs is a very strong junior base where the talent emanates from and keeps on producing and that is where primarily the panthers get their strength from and Bulldogs are on track as well. My only wish is that we follow the same path and we know how to manage our juniors properly, we have a very good array of talent coming through, my hope is we dont f$#k it up.
We definitely have a wealth of talent in our midst in the young ones coming through. We HAVE to make sure that they get all the best training and coaching and importantly opportunities to play in higher grades leading to first grade. Our future depends on these young kids I'm sure of it.

Draginzaaar

Bench
Yeah, I went to the 60 to something Shalacking.