What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 13 v Tigers

Old Timer

Coach
Interesting observation re Simms.
IMO SGMax is correct re his post on Simms
Simms said at the beginning of the year he would accept the shift to the centre 1/3 rd but he has not really settled there, nor has he done his best work there.
In fact I believe that exact move is when he went off the boil at the Knights. Simms is more of a ball runner / attacking back rower than he is "a tough grind it out in the middle man".
No doubt he is tough, but his adrenaline surge comes from running over the top of players not into them.
I also think he gives away far more penalties in the middle when he tries to out muscle the big guys rather than when he os on the edge running amok.
If he does plays on the edge this week I expect a much better performance from him.

Drakon

Juniors
IMO SGMax is correct re his post on Simms
Simms said at the beginning of the year he would accept the shift to the centre 1/3 rd but he has not really settled there, nor has he done his best work there.
In fact I believe that exact move is when he went off the boil at the Knights. Simms is more of a ball runner / attacking back rower than he is "a tough grind it out in the middle man".
No doubt he is tough, but his adrenaline surge comes from running over the top of players not into them.
I also think he gives away far more penalties in the middle when he tries to out muscle the big guys rather than when he os on the edge running amok.
If he does plays on the edge this week I expect a much better performance from him.
I totally agree. I never thought Sims should be playing in the middle. He's damaging as an edge runner.
He is just really filling a needed position in the prop rotation but this causes his form to suffer. I'm really interested to see how he goes this weekend. If he goes well, I'll also be interested to see what Mary does with him in the future.

getsmarty

Immortal
Widdop return a boost for Dragons

Mitch Jennings@@Mitch_Jenno

31 May 2017, 12:04 p.m.
r0_0_3546_2364_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

FIRMING: Gareth Widdop. Picture: Adam McLean

ST GEORGE Illawarra skipper Gareth Widdop is all but certain to make an early return from injury against Wests Tigers on Sunday as the Dragons look to keep their foothold in the top four.

Widdop, who hasn’t played since injuring his knee in his side’s Anzac Day loss to the Roosters, completed the Dragons full ball-work session at five-eighth on Wednesday and also came through contact work unscathed.

The English International was named on an extended bench on Tuesday with Kurt Mann listed in the No.6 with the latter not cagey at all when asked about his skipper’s availability on Wednesday.

“I think he’s just got to get through the week and they’ll see how he goes but I’m pretty confident he’ll get through it,”

“[Coach Paul McGregor] has told me I could be playing a few different positions so I’ve just got to try and do my best during the week and try and nail my role down.

“That’s my role in the team, I filled in [at five-eighth] while [Widdop] was gone, but having him back is definitely a big bonus for us. You can’t really replace him, he’s a world class player and it’s great to see him back.”

With Josh Dugan named to back up from Origin I against the Tigers, Mann appears most likely to revert to his familiar bench utility role with Jason Nightingale shifting back to the left wing.

Wherever he plays, Mann will be full of confidence having produced his best performance for the club, and arguably the best of his NRL career, in his preferred position against the Warriors last start.

“It was just good to get a full 80 minutes out in the one position,” Mann said.

r0_0_4393_2929_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

MR FIXIT: Gareth Widdop's return will likely see Kurt Mann Kurt Mann revert back to a bench role. Picture: Getty

“It was really good to get an opportunity to play in the halves.

“Those couple of games that I played there were the first time I’ve played there in my whole [NRL] career so it was really good to get a start there.”

The Dragons halted a three-game losing streak with an impressive 30-14 win over the Warriors, picking up a crucial two points heading into a bye week.

“We started the season really well and went through a tough little period there,” Mann said.

“We played some really good teams, the Sharks [game] was a close one, Anzac Day against the Roosters was a close one. Melbourne were just too good for us [in round nine].

“You don’t want to be losing four games in a row at this time of the year so it that win was pretty crucial.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4699132/widdop-to-return-against-tigers/?cs=3713

possm

Coach
Widdop return a boost for Dragons

Mitch Jennings@@Mitch_Jenno

31 May 2017, 12:04 p.m.
r0_0_3546_2364_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

FIRMING: Gareth Widdop. Picture: Adam McLean

ST GEORGE Illawarra skipper Gareth Widdop is all but certain to make an early return from injury against Wests Tigers on Sunday as the Dragons look to keep their foothold in the top four.

Widdop, who hasn’t played since injuring his knee in his side’s Anzac Day loss to the Roosters, completed the Dragons full ball-work session at five-eighth on Wednesday and also came through contact work unscathed.

The English International was named on an extended bench on Tuesday with Kurt Mann listed in the No.6 with the latter not cagey at all when asked about his skipper’s availability on Wednesday.

“I think he’s just got to get through the week and they’ll see how he goes but I’m pretty confident he’ll get through it,”

“[Coach Paul McGregor] has told me I could be playing a few different positions so I’ve just got to try and do my best during the week and try and nail my role down.

“That’s my role in the team, I filled in [at five-eighth] while [Widdop] was gone, but having him back is definitely a big bonus for us. You can’t really replace him, he’s a world class player and it’s great to see him back.”

With Josh Dugan named to back up from Origin I against the Tigers, Mann appears most likely to revert to his familiar bench utility role with Jason Nightingale shifting back to the left wing.

Wherever he plays, Mann will be full of confidence having produced his best performance for the club, and arguably the best of his NRL career, in his preferred position against the Warriors last start.

“It was just good to get a full 80 minutes out in the one position,” Mann said.

r0_0_4393_2929_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

MR FIXIT: Gareth Widdop's return will likely see Kurt Mann Kurt Mann revert back to a bench role. Picture: Getty

“It was really good to get an opportunity to play in the halves.

“Those couple of games that I played there were the first time I’ve played there in my whole [NRL] career so it was really good to get a start there.”

The Dragons halted a three-game losing streak with an impressive 30-14 win over the Warriors, picking up a crucial two points heading into a bye week.

“We started the season really well and went through a tough little period there,” Mann said.

“We played some really good teams, the Sharks [game] was a close one, Anzac Day against the Roosters was a close one. Melbourne were just too good for us [in round nine].

“You don’t want to be losing four games in a row at this time of the year so it that win was pretty crucial.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4699132/widdop-to-return-against-tigers/?cs=3713
Mann to fullback
Dugan to right centre
Field on the bench
Kerr on the bench

Drakon

Juniors
'ST GEORGE Illawarra skipper Gareth Widdop is all but certain to make an early return from injury against Wests Tigers on Sunday as the Dragons look to keep their foothold in the top four.'

If Widdop makes a return against the Tigers on Sunday as the article says, it'll be a late return as the boys are playing on Saturday!!

Old Timer

Coach
'ST GEORGE Illawarra skipper Gareth Widdop is all but certain to make an early return from injury against Wests Tigers on Sunday as the Dragons look to keep their foothold in the top four.'

If Widdop makes a return against the Tigers on Sunday as the article says, it'll be a late return as the boys are playing on Saturday!!
Classic and people want to quote what the papers say about Dugan, what players are paid, who's going where and other matters LMFAO

hazzbeen

Bench

:):):)

possm

Coach
So we are dropping Milne?

Who else is on your bench? I'm assuming LAM, Field, Kerr plus who?
Mann
Macdonald
Dugan
Lafai
Nightingale
Widdop
McCrone

Vaughan
McInnes
Packer
Thompson
Frizell
De Belin

Bench
Ah Mau
Kerr
Sims
Field

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL Preview: Round 13
Wed 31st May, 03:00PM
A A

St George Illawarra Dragons v Wests Tigers
ANZ Stadium, Olympic Park
Saturday, 3pm

The St George Illawarra Dragons' first bye of the season came at an opportune time following their 'monkey off the back' win over the Warriors at FMG Stadium, Hamilton.

The Dragons' huge win over Stephen Kearney's men put a three-game losing run to bed and handed the Red V plenty of confidence as they returned to the NRL Telstra Premiership's top four.

They can't afford to take their upcoming opponents lightly on Saturday afternoon though, considering the Tigers are starring down the barrel of a lengthy losing streak themselves.

Plenty has changed since the Dragons and Tigers last met in Round 5, with the latter boasting a new coach, Ivan Cleary and playmaker in Tuimoala Lolohea. They'll also have to make do with first grade mainstays Sauaso Sue and Josh Aloiai.

The Dragons first 17 has changed slightly with Tariq Sims named in the back row instead of New South Wales Origin representative Tyson Frizell.

However, Frizell has been named in the reserves alongside Josh Dugan and should play pending both men get through Origin I injury-free. They may very well be joined by skipper Gareth Widdop who is inching closer to returning from a knee injury.

Teams –

Dragons: 1. Jason Nightingale, 2. Nene Macdonald, 3. Taane Milne, 4. Tim Lafai, 5. Kalifa Faifai Loa, 6. Kurt Mann , 7. Josh McCrone, 8. Russell Packer, 9. Cameron McInnes, 10. Paul Vaughan, 11. Tariq Sims, 12. Joel Thompson, 13. Jack de Belin. Interchange: 14. Jacob Host, 15. Leeson Ah Mau, 16. Hame Sele, 17. Jai Field, 18. Tyrone McCarthy, 19. Josh Dugan, 20. Tyson Frizell, 21. Gareth Widdop (c), 22. Blake Lawrie.

Wests Tigers: 1. James Tedesco, 2. David Nofoaluma, 3. Malakai Watene-Zelezniak, 4. Moses Suli, 5. Kevin Naiqama, 6., 7. Jack Littlejohn, 8. Aaron Woods (c), 9. Matt McIlwrick, 10. Ava Seumanufagai, 11. Kyle Lovett, 12. Chris Lawrence, 13. Elijah Taylor. Interchange: 14. Tim Grant, 15. JJ Felise, 16. Joel Edwards, 17. Jacob Liddle, 18. Esan Marsters, 19. Matthew Eisenhuth, 20. Jordan Rankin, 21. Michael Chee-Kam

Key Match-Up: Nene Macdonald v David Nofoaluma – Looking back at the Tigers' last meeting against the Dragons, it was abundantly clear how crucial Nofoaluma is to their fortunes. 75 tackle breaks and 33 offloads in 2017 has proven his importance overall. Macdonald played one of his best games of the season against the Warriors in Round 11, and will have to match it with his Tigers counterpart in the heat of battle.

The History: Played 33; Dragons 18, Tigers 15. The two combatants have had an even share of wins and losses over the last six seasons. It's been a rare occasion that either team has won consecutive games against one another, each winning half of their past 12 meetings. The Red V was last start winners in Round 5 with a 28-6 win.

Match Officials: Referee: Gavin Badger. Assistant Referee: Peter Gough. Sideline Officials: Russell Turner and Chris McMillan.

Televised: Fox League – Live coverage from 2:30pm.

Radio: ABC and Triple M

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/05/31/nrl_preview_round_13.html

Old Timer

Coach
The club has named an extended bench for a very good reason (give them a tick)
Frizzell won't be backing up as he will definitely be put in cotton wool.
If Dugan cops any knocks (very likely) they will put him in cotton wool as well.
Both these players are key to our later march to the semis and to risk them now would be ridiculous.

MilanDragon

Juniors
Mann
Macdonald
Dugan
Lafai
Nightingale
Widdop
McCrone

Vaughan
McInnes
Packer
Thompson
Frizell
De Belin

Bench
Ah Mau
Kerr
Sims
Field

Are you dropping Sele to give him more game time in reserves or just so Kerr gets an opportunity to play FG?

As for Dugan to RC, what's the thought there? I actually believe Mann to 3 is a great opportunity.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Mann
Macdonald
Dugan
Lafai
Nightingale
Widdop
McCrone

Vaughan
McInnes
Packer
Thompson
Frizell
De Belin

Bench
Ah Mau
Kerr
Sims
Field

No way in the world would I drop Sele, he's been killing it for us lately.
Kerr has been going really well, but his time will come later in the year or next year when Packer departs.

The rest of your team looks good though.

possm

Coach
Are you dropping Sele to give him more game time in reserves or just so Kerr gets an opportunity to play FG?

As for Dugan to RC, what's the thought there? I actually believe Mann to 3 is a great opportunity.
I would like to see Kerr tested at prop and Mann tested at fullback. Sele has already proven to be first grade ready as has host. Dugan to plug our right side defensive problems for now. I see him at right centre for the remainder of the season with Dufty and Field still to be tested at fullback.

By letting Dugan go at end of season, the Club has made a statement that it's time for the young guns to have their turn. So let's sort through this process this year ready for 2018. If none of the young gun's are ready, we may have to sign a fullback for a year or two. Best to know that asap so the recruit can be included in off-season training.

MilanDragon

Juniors
I would like to see Kerr tested at prop and Mann tested at fullback. Sele has already proven to be first grade ready as has host. Dugan to plug our right side defensive problems for now. I see him at right centre for the remainder of the season with Dufty and Field still to be tested at fullback.

By letting Dugan go at end of season, the Club has made a statement that it's time for the young guns to have their turn. So let's sort through this process this year ready for 2018. If none of the young gun's are ready, we may have to sign a fullback for a year or two. Best to know that asap so the recruit can be included in off-season training.

Can't argue with your logic there.

I think it'd be harsh to drop Sele.. I actually wouldn't be surprised if Frizzell doesn't back up after origin and potentially Kerr can play then. Host is named on the bench, would be interesting to see how he has developed since being dropped.

For me I just don't know if I want Dugan at right centre. I see the theory behind blooding others there looking at the future but we hurt the present.

SBD82

Coach
Can't argue with your logic there.

I think it'd be harsh to drop Sele.. I actually wouldn't be surprised if Frizzell doesn't back up after origin and potentially Kerr can play then. Host is named on the bench, would be interesting to see how he has developed since being dropped.

For me I just don't know if I want Dugan at right centre. I see the theory behind blooding others there looking at the future but we hurt the present.
Having seen the spark that Mann brings to the side I think the negatives of moving Dugan would be thoroughly offset by the positives of having Mann at the back. The way Mann inserts himself into attacking plays is beautifully fluid.

I watched a replay of the long range try that McDonald lafai and kffl put on for us against the warriors. Couldn't help thinking that if Dugan got the ball on that play the ball would have died with him.

Alec's-saints

Juniors
Having seen the spark that Mann brings to the side I think the negatives of moving Dugan would be thoroughly offset by the positives of having Mann at the back. The way Mann inserts himself into attacking plays is beautifully fluid.

I watched a replay of the long range try that McDonald lafai and kffl put on for us against the warriors. Couldn't help thinking that if Dugan got the ball on that play the ball would have died with him.
i agree mate. that tattooed flog is the slowest fb in the comp