What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 14 v Silvertails

Tago "pile on" from being shit for over a year now? He used to be amazing running the ball but now he's sat on his arse by every bang average centre and backrower in the comp.

At this point he's been given the worst contract this club has given anyone in f**k over 20 years
Not saying he hasn’t been dogshit, simply pointing out that Turuva was equally dogshit today

Goonji

Juniors
You believe Ivan will go Cole over Tago? The gap in defence is just massive
No. Unless I missed someone, Tago is our most experienced centre at Panthers. Our opposition would love an inexperienced centre pairing like Cole and Alamonti. He may replace Tago eventually but I can't see it happening this year. Then again, next year Cole will be our five eight.

Original Name

Juniors
Lindsay Smith's try saving tackle is probably the biggest example of an effort play that people will think of in this game but the try where Luai came back to the right and passed to Smith who put Turuva over is an example as well. A prop just doesn't find themselves at centre by accident. He saw someone should be there and ran there. It's a play that shows some smarts for a prop too.

Last edited:

The Realist

Juniors
Edge defence is a massive concern. Neither Alamoti or Tago are defending well. Alamoti rushing out of the line again and getting stuck in no mans land leading to a try. Does it nearly every game.

Tago has gone from being a top tier centre (Offensively and Defensively) to offensively okay and defensively poor is shocking. Rushing in on the opposition 3rd man (who was basically covered) instead of staying out on His man.

The only explanation I heard during the game was a mate suggesting that Tago didn't trust Cole in defence and then leading to Turuva not trusting Tago. That Edge was a complete shambles - but it wasn't Cole's fault - he more than holds his own.

Speaking about Jack - he had a fine game. 2 excellent passes that you'd not expect a rookie to attempt, yet alone make with such precision.

The Realist

Juniors
Lindsay Smith's try saving tackle is probably the biggest example of an effort play that people will think of in this game but the try where Luai came back to the right and passed to Smith who put Turuva over is an example as well. A prop just doesn't find themselves at centre by accident. He saw someone should be there and ran there. It's a play that shows some smarts for a prop too.

I agree with most of his but I think you would find that Smith had shifted to the edge by that stage. I too thought he'd come out of position originally but then it occured to me that he might have been shift to the edge when Huth had come on, and judging by the positioning that is exactly what happened.

Still a great effort regardless. I am really pleased how both he and now Henry have stepped up.

maple_69

Bench
Whole pack looked to be back on tonight which was pleasing. That stifling defence was back and we just had that extra punch in the runs and play the ball. Edge defence was trash but I don’t doubt Edwards out played a big part in that. We saw last year in the Parra game how big an impact his absence can have on our vaunted defence.

Good signs from Cole and Henry in playing big roles going forward. Leota looked a bit sharper as did Sorro and Smith. To’o is just extraordinary, a once in a lifetime player. God I wish he didn’t have to carry such a shit NSW team.

- As easy as it is to jump on the Tago pile-on, Turuva was just as bad. Simply awful defence from the pair of them.

- Happy to admit I was wrong about Cole, easily his best game in a Panthers jersey.

- Laurie also played his best game for us. Outstanding.

- Liam Henry was great again, I’m not a big fan of Captain Hindsight posts but it seems like not long ago many on here were calling him a plodder.

- To’o best on ground, amazing effort and the sole reason we were in front at half time.

- Hats off to Luai and Yeo also, backing up from Origin and having very solid games.

- Manly tried hard and pushed us at times, losing Olakau’atu was a huge turning point.
I think @Kilkenny has been singing Henry’s praises for a while and suggesting he could be our Leniu replacement..

Edge defence is a massive concern. Neither Alamoti or Tago are defending well. Alamoti rushing out of the line again and getting stuck in no mans land leading to a try. Does it nearly every game.

Tago has gone from being a top tier centre (Offensively and Defensively) to offensively okay and defensively poor is shocking. Rushing in on the opposition 3rd man (who was basically covered) instead of staying out on His man.

The only explanation I heard during the game was a mate suggesting that Tago didn't trust Cole in defence and then leading to Turuva not trusting Tago. That Edge was a complete shambles - but it wasn't Cole's fault - he more than holds his own.

Speaking about Jack - he had a fine game. 2 excellent passes that you'd not expect a rookie to attempt, yet alone make with such precision.
I'm a season ticket holder and travel to each home game from the south coast, and have done for years.

The constant bashing of players in our team by so called supporters who think they "get" footy is ridiculous.

The TV coverage does not and has never been a true indication of what is unfolding on the field.

Tago's defence is not what is being portrayed on these forums, the constant changes in the back row and halves on that side is blatantly obvious.

The inside defenders are just not shifting out well enough to support the centre and wingers at times and it just leaves some isolation where speed wins every time.

This game in the second half saw Cole work harder to help Tago and the defence improved therefore Manly went to the other side more often.

Injury and personnel changes are our problem and time will fix it all.

Remember fans, it's a team game not a blame game.

betcats

Referee
Tago abd Turuva we’re not on the same page last night at all. First try jamming might not of been the right decision but it looked liked brooks got outside his man and created the overlap. When Tago comes in like that Turuva Has to come up with him, he has to, at least then there’s a chance he’s hitting koula as he gets the ball and kohl’s has to make a tough pass to take advantage of the numbers. Turuva stayed out when Tago came in leaving a huge gap for koula to run into draw Turuva in abd make an easy pass to his winger to put him away.

Tago abd Turuva we’re not on the same page last night at all. First try jamming might not of been the right decision but it looked liked brooks got outside his man and created the overlap. When Tago comes in like that Turuva Has to come up with him, he has to, at least then there’s a chance he’s hitting koula as he gets the ball and kohl’s has to make a tough pass to take advantage of the numbers. Turuva stayed out when Tago came in leaving a huge gap for koula to run into draw Turuva in abd make an easy pass to his winger to put him away.
I somewhat agree with you for that single try.

For years now good teams have noticed who is at marker and then sent attack straight to where he would normally be in the defensive line and try to exploit defensive confusion.

As I said previously, the personnel changes forced on us by so many different reasons has meant the combination just hasn't clicked for every player.

Ivan alluded to such in the presser, but he is not going to highlight an issue which is obviously being addressed.

Continuity on the edges might help the cause too.

betcats

Referee
Blaming other players for tago being terrible for a full year is a new one.

I’m just talking about that play. Watch it again and listen to cam smith break it down. A winger following his centre is basic stuff.

Whether Tago should’ve Jammed in or not is another question, but once he did Turuva going with him absolutely should’ve happened, it’s not even a question.

betcats

Referee
as for Tago being terrible for a year, yeah sure he’s had some shockers, he’s also had some excellent games in that time. Sure overall his forms not good enough now and he needs to fix it up fast but let’s not get carried away with the death riding.

[

Tago's positioning and decision making is atrocious, he seems to be behind the play each time and trying to play catch up which leads to the other team scoring, you would think by now the coaches would have drilled it in to him by now. He doesn't need to jump out of time.

WestyLife

First Grade
I’m just talking about that play. Watch it again and listen to cam smith break it down. A winger following his centre is basic stuff.

Whether Tago should’ve Jammed in or not is another question, but once he did Turuva going with him absolutely should’ve happened, it’s not even a question.

Your analysis was on point. Actually crazy how disconnected Turuva and Tago seem to be. Watching at the ground seemed to exaggerate it. Should've quoted it I meant the comment before yours.

WestyLife

First Grade
as for Tago being terrible for a year, yeah sure he’s had some shockers, he’s also had some excellent games in that time. Sure overall his forms not good enough now and he needs to fix it up fast but let’s not get carried away with the death riding.

[

His defence is the thing we're all talking about. He's been bad and getting worse with it minimum this entire season.

betcats

Referee
His defence is the thing we're all talking about. He's been bad and getting worse with it minimum this entire season.

Yeah his defence is bad he needs to improve but I think it’s being overblown somewhat, every try down his side is being blamed on him alone. Personally I see a guy down on confidence playing in the hardest defensive position on an edge tgat hasn’t been connected all season.

hindy111

Post Whore
He is a decent half

Cole has a better tackle %

In 6 games has 6 try assists

Brown in 12 has 9

While it is early days Cole's numbers stack up with other 6's and that is without playing next to Cleary.

Ones playing in a topm4 side and the other in a bottom. Surely you can understand whomjas the harder job in defence amd opportunities to attack right?