What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 18 VS Dragons

MrBlack

Juniors
I think your right unfortunately. Although neither Egan or Luai deserve to be dropped, we are going to be smashed by the better forward packs if both remain as part of the ongoing bench rotation.

Agree

Not sure where Luai fits in if both Cleary and Maloney play a full game.

Have Egan as backup Hooker so is he a 3rd Hooker???

martielang

Bench
Agree

Not sure where Luai fits in if both Cleary and Maloney play a full game.

Have Egan as backup Hooker so is he a 3rd Hooker???

Could just play him a running forward ala Morgan / DCE in origin. Or start Egan & use Kenny primarily as a backrower.

I"d probably start Egan & give Kenny a couple of weeks in NSW Cup with Luai covering hooker if need be.

Matthew Ellis

Juniors
Need to target Lafai, Dufty and Luciano in attack. They're the weakest links in the team. Wouldn't be surprised to see one of our front rowers run at Dufty when they're defending their goal line and score a try. Probably James Tamou, he's pretty good at getting himself into a position for a barge over try.

PANTHERMIKE

Juniors
At home, big crowd

We will get this, and I think finally a blowout score line.

Dragons are shot... How a team cannot put on points against a side with one less player for over 20 minutes is almost unheard of.

Panfa

Juniors
I will be there friday night 100% hope to see 20k out there should be no excuses to sydney teams school holidays panthers aiming for 7 straight.I cant see us taking them lightly Friday night its do or die for dragons they will come to play and always have good support with them.We haven't put a dominant 80 mins together all season but we are getting better each week.Defensively we are fine just need to be more sharp in attack cleary should help that.

Abacus

Juniors
I must be the only 1 here that thinks we're a good chance of getting touched up this weekend. I've not been enthused about any of our wins - still playing without any shape in the attacking 20 and we seem to make enough defensive errors to lose a game but we've been scraping through.

Anyway, still hoping for a win.

Panfa

Juniors
Have confidence abacus a sign of a good team is winning when you are not playing your best and we have now put 6 wins in a row while not at our best.The attack will come we get cleary and martin back this week which is a huge bonus the question is who misses out in the 17 its either kenny egan or luai we cant have all 3 in the 17 our side will be too small.Id go edwards mansour whare naden too maloney cleary fisher harris yeo kikau tamou egan campbell gillard res winterstein martin leota luai 18th man kenny.

TheFrog

Coach
I've not been enthused about any of our wins
Six of them in a row is enthusing....four of them against top 8 sides. Being standalone 8th is enthusing. And conceding 14 per game over the last 6, four of whom were top 8 sides is also enthusing. Not a single one of them were we not the better side.

But I do agree this is a danger game. The Titans was a danger game too, and the Warriors in NZ too.They are all danger games. This side has gone into 6 of them running now and come out in front. Believe in your team.

franklin2323

Immortal
I must be the only 1 here that thinks we're a good chance of getting touched up this weekend. I've not been enthused about any of our wins - still playing without any shape in the attacking 20 and we seem to make enough defensive errors to lose a game but we've been scraping through.

Anyway, still hoping for a win.

Short turnaround for them key players out. Their halves and a couple of forwards 3rd game in 9 days... Canberra is the game we will lose

Abacus

Juniors
Have confidence abacus a sign of a good team is winning when you are not playing your best and we have now put 6 wins in a row while not at our best.The attack will come we get cleary and martin back this week which is a huge bonus the question is who misses out in the 17 its either kenny egan or luai we cant have all 3 in the 17 our side will be too small.Id go edwards mansour whare naden too maloney cleary fisher harris yeo kikau tamou egan campbell gillard res winterstein martin leota luai 18th man kenny.
I'd say Cleary is still at least another week away. If he's not 100% then I'd run with Luai again.
Good to have Martin back, I'd be starting him with RCG to the bench.

Abacus

Juniors
Six of them in a row is enthusing....four of them against top 8 sides. Being standalone 8th is enthusing. And conceding 14 per game over the last 6, four of whom were top 8 sides is also enthusing. Not a single one of them were we not the better side.

But I do agree this is a danger game. The Titans was a danger game too, and the Warriors in NZ too.They are all danger games. This side has gone into 6 of them running now and come out in front. Believe in your team.
I've been supporting them too long to get too optimistic.

Admittedly I haven't seen enough of the Dragons to gauge where they're at - they seem to be heading in the opposite direction but they pushed the Storm a couple of weeks ago. But most teams struggle to back up the week after the Storm.

OldPanther

Coach
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/cl...Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1562995475

Nathan Cleary has declared himself a certain starter for Penrith as they chase a seventh straight win next weekend and says missing the final Origin game will leave him mentally fresher for the charge home to the finals.

James Maloney got to bed at 6.30am on Thursday after the Origin series triumph but made a point of telling Panthers coach Ivan Cleary he would back up against the Gold Coast so Nathan could take the extra week to overcome an ankle injury.
Cleary struggled last year with the emotional drain from his first Origin experience and battled through ankle pain before undergoing surgery in the off-season.

This time around, however, the 21-year-old feels he is in a much better place and ready to attack the second half of the season, starting on Friday night at home against St George Illawarra.
"I'll definitely be back next week, I was pretty much ready to go Friday night but Jimmy was selfless and said he'd play, so it made it the decision easier to give me another week to get the ankle 100 per cent,'' Cleary said.

"I got a cortisone injection on Wednesday night before I went into Origin. I had heard different reports about playing too soon after the injection.
"Origin can be a mentally draining experience, especially if you play three full games. So it helps me there [missing the decider]. It also helps when Penrith have now won six on the trot and we need to keep that rolling.'
'

Maloney, 33, is 12 years Cleary's senior and knows how to cope with the year-round grind, and while he will not miss any games for the Panthers, said the coach would give him a few extra days off this week and the following.
The chance to keep Cleary extra fresh, said Maloney, made it easy to back up 48 hours after NSW's last-gasp 26-20 win over Queensland.
Origin players have always said playing on a Friday night after a Wednesday Origin game is easier than a Sunday game because of the adrenaline.

"Nath could have played but we were better off giving him that extra week – it was better to get him right because we'll need him down the track,'' Maloney said.

"And you don't want it being one of those [injuries] that keep hanging around.
"For me [backing up] is what you have to do. A lot of guys here play a role in me getting to that [Origin] level, you don't do it on your own, so it's only a small payback from me to come back here and play.

"I was a bit flat, but when you see guys like Jed Cartwright make a debut, it's not hard to get up for an occasion like that. You get a kick out of it. You remember when that was you and how important it was. The least you can do is play your role there.

"I got to bed about 6.30am on Thursday, but the room was spinning so I got up again.
"I had a bit of lunch, came in here in the afternoon and had a bit of a trot, just to keep the body moving. I slept like a log Thursday night.''
After a shocking 2-8 start to the season, the Panthers are suddenly back in the eight with the likes of Brent Naden and hard-running winger Brian To'o breathing an infectious youthful enthusiasm into the mountain men.

Panthers fans should also keep an eye out for 18-year-old prop Spencer Leniu to be handed his NRL debut in the coming weeks.