What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 2 3Vs Knights Saturday 18th August 3pm Panthers Stadium

franklin2323

Immortal
The handling and dumb penalties were obviously a major problem, but the most concerning thing from that game was our attacking structure and passing. Looked very disorganized, like a team who'd met for the first time at the pub earlier in the day (and pounded several beers in the interim). Players received the ball flat footed or even having to move backwards. Passes went to ground. Plays in their 20 were 1 out runs and the ball was shifted slowly to the backline. I know he's had some terrible games recently, but we look much much worse without Maloney. May was ordinary.

I've never been a Hook fan, but at this point our discipline, basics and attacking potency have gone a long long way backwards in the fortnight since he's left. It doesn't prove he was a good coach, but I think it proves that punting him has all but killed our 2018 and shouldn't have happened before the end of a year in which we were a legitimate contender.

Everything was in slow motion. Hooker is the glaring hole we have now. We are an ordinary team

franklin2323

Immortal
Hooks last 3 games were being pumped by 50 and 2 miracle comebacks.

Ciros first 2 games are a miracle comeback and a loss.

But yeah... sacking an incompetent coach 2 weeks ago is why our form has been shit for 2 and a half months.

A rookie coach so close to the end was never going to be the answer

unKwn

Juniors
I genuinely think we would be in the exact same situation with Griffin. last two games if you never told me Griffin wasn't sacked I wouldn't know. it will take these dumbasses a full preseason before they snap out of Griffin mode and whatever coach they have mode. we also desperately need a hooker.

mxlegend99

Referee
It’s not that I think he’s a bad player, it’s that I think he’s a bad leader of our attack.
That's not the point I was making.

His hooker was by far the worst player on the field and he was surrounded by idiots f**king up for 80 minutes. He didnt have much to work with and under the circumstances how would any other half do better?

With extremely limited opportunities he still forced a drop out, broke the line, setup a linebreak and had no negative plays. I font think anyone could do much more than he did in a pathetic performance like that. Even the immortals look quiet in a shit team.

franklin2323

Immortal
I genuinely think we would be in the exact same situation with Griffin. last two games if you never told me Griffin wasn't sacked I wouldn't know. it will take these dumbasses a full preseason before they snap out of Griffin mode and whatever coach they have mode. we also desperately need a hooker.

People used their hatred of the coach to blame him for our issues. Since Wallace went we have been ordinary

franklin2323

Immortal
That's not the point I was making.

His hooker was by far the worst player on the field and he was surrounded by idiots f**king up for 80 minutes. He didnt have much to work with and under the circumstances how would any other half do better?

With extremely limited opportunities he still forced a drop out, broke the line, setup a linebreak and had no negative plays. I font think anyone could do much more than he did in a pathetic performance like that. Even the immortals look quiet in a shit team.

Service from dummy half was poor. Forwards got owned and couldn't get to our kicks. Hard to blame him for it

mxlegend99

Referee
A rookie coach so close to the end was never going to be the answer
Its a better answer then sticking with Hook. Just like Pearce in Origin.

We ditched a proven big game failure in the hope his replacement won't be. Its a long shot. But our worst case scenario is finishing the season the same way we would have under Hook.

tripster

Juniors
Such a dumb decision. Was only going to end one way

I think it has also exposed the other staff as being shit. All a coach really does in the modern game is manage the staff below him.

We were told the problem was Hook doing everything himself. What if Hook was doing it all himself because the staff are shit?

martielang

Bench

Can’t have your cake & eat it too.

Our team may have played boring football under Griffin but we had tenancity & patience. We showed none of either today.

martielang

Bench
Its a better answer then sticking with Hook. Just like Pearce in Origin.

We ditched a proven big game failure in the hope his replacement won't be. Its a long shot. But our worst case scenario is finishing the season the same way we would have under Hook.

Results & performances say otherwise.

Typical cop out answer.

tripster

Juniors
It looks to me like our team needs a simple game plan because we certainly can’t handle a complex one.

If I was coaching our team I would have written on the whiteboard:

1. Hold the ball

2. No offloads coming out of trouble

3. Go forward and run straight

4. Go wide off fast play the balls.

5. Look before passing.

Perhaps some would say I am old school and my game plan is under 10s stuff? But it probably would have won us the game today.

chrisD

Coach
We weren't going to win the comp but now we aren't going to win a final.
Looked no different to how we’d have looked under Griffin without Maloney. In fact it was exactly like our finals last season with Cleary and May bumbling about, just without Cartwright to offer any hope.

Matthew Ellis

Juniors
He made no errors (out of 14) Missed no tackles (out of 41) and gave away no penalties (out of 7).

He made a linebreak and setup a linebreak (involved in 2out of 3 we made), forced our only drop out and our first try came from him kicking early on one of the few occassions he could touch the ball before his teammates f**ked up somehow.
I'm not saying he played bad.
I'll reiterate. In the second half we were on the their goal line for ages. You'd expect one of the halves to produce something when you have the ball in your opponent's 20 for that long. Again I'm not saying Cleary played bad, just didn't step up.

Last edited:

Latest posts