What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 20 v Cowboys

hewi

Bench
From Foxsports

11. ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS (20, -98)

Run home
: Cowboys (H), Sharks (A), Raiders (A), Titans (H), Tigers (A), Broncos (H)

Analysis: The Dragons continued their Jekyll and Hyde season with an upset win over the Sea Eagles in Round 19. The Dragons have had a peculiar season to date having got up for the big occasions only to be belted in other games to give them one of the worst defensive records in the competition. Pressure is on coach Anthony Griffin to recall Tyrell Sloan after the injury to Cody Ramsey. Griffin has tried to play it safe by not picking youngsters Sloan and Jayden Sullivan, while his constant changes in his pack seems to be confusing his players in terms of getting consistent defensive displays. They have a small casualty ward at this stage of the year and Ben Hunt is in the form of his life and a chance to win the Dally M Medal, but given their tough run home the Dragons look like just missing the finals

So for and against is going to kill us unless we jag 4 wins, I think we might do it.

Link added by moderator: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/72a2d66d2af256cf18b6f5a6e5dd0fc5

justadragon

Bench
From Foxsports

11. ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS (20, -98)

Run home
: Cowboys (H), Sharks (A), Raiders (A), Titans (H), Tigers (A), Broncos (H)

Analysis: The Dragons continued their Jekyll and Hyde season with an upset win over the Sea Eagles in Round 19. The Dragons have had a peculiar season to date having got up for the big occasions only to be belted in other games to give them one of the worst defensive records in the competition. Pressure is on coach Anthony Griffin to recall Tyrell Sloan after the injury to Cody Ramsey. Griffin has tried to play it safe by not picking youngsters Sloan and Jayden Sullivan, while his constant changes in his pack seems to be confusing his players in terms of getting consistent defensive displays. They have a small casualty ward at this stage of the year and Ben Hunt is in the form of his life and a chance to win the Dally M Medal, but given their tough run home the Dragons look like just missing the finals

So for and against is going to kill us unless we jag 4 wins, I think we might do it.

Link added by moderator: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/72a2d66d2af256cf18b6f5a6e5dd0fc5
I like many others am wanting to see sloan back in the side, but as other posters have mentioned and I have seen live when Ive watched some of the ressies games, he is still off in defense, seems disinterested and drifts in and out of games. As written above that Griffin is under pressure to pick him in the side, well he would have all the ammunition in the world not to pick him, based on his improvement. Now I dont know whats up with the kid and in no way would I be in that inner sanctum, from the outside looking in he was tauted as the next big thing for the dragons, just about headlining all the TV adverts, the promotional videos for the Dragons and then he gets punted for not being defensively sound, big let down, which to all and sundry may be or not the correct call with other circumstances involved IE really poor weather etc, so on, so on. Now I dont know who is mentoring him, what Shaun Timmins involvement is, but for christ sake someone of some note, Flannagan, Soward anyone tell him he has got to play ressies just like as if he really wants it, and wants back in the NRL. Whilst displaying lethargies on the field indicates he is an unhappy little camper because he has been seeing his name up in lights and now they are not shining anymore. You have to show something especially when the head coach is there. Anyway I take Ramsay as an example, that kid worked his butt off to get back in grade and I feel sorry for him now, in no way did he kick stones or say he was hard done by, just worked hard and let his football do the talking. Its what champions are made of and I couldnt be happier for him. On a final note I cant wait for Sloan to be in that side, he is an elite talent and I want to always remember him for that and not just having an attitude about what is or isnt happening, he just needs to realise that he is playing a game that we all wish we could have played at his level and had 5% of the talent he possess. Good luck son but get your head right and put a smile on your face, enjoy what you love playing.

True_Believer

Juniors
I like many others am wanting to see sloan back in the side, but as other posters have mentioned and I have seen live when Ive watched some of the ressies games, he is still off in defense, seems disinterested and drifts in and out of games. As written above that Griffin is under pressure to pick him in the side, well he would have all the ammunition in the world not to pick him, based on his improvement. Now I dont know whats up with the kid and in no way would I be in that inner sanctum, from the outside looking in he was tauted as the next big thing for the dragons, just about headlining all the TV adverts, the promotional videos for the Dragons and then he gets punted for not being defensively sound, big let down, which to all and sundry may be or not the correct call with other circumstances involved IE really poor weather etc, so on, so on. Now I dont know who is mentoring him, what Shaun Timmins involvement is, but for christ sake someone of some note, Flannagan, Soward anyone tell him he has got to play ressies just like as if he really wants it, and wants back in the NRL. Whilst displaying lethargies on the field indicates he is an unhappy little camper because he has been seeing his name up in lights and now they are not shining anymore. You have to show something especially when the head coach is there. Anyway I take Ramsay as an example, that kid worked his butt off to get back in grade and I feel sorry for him now, in no way did he kick stones or say he was hard done by, just worked hard and let his football do the talking. Its what champions are made of and I couldnt be happier for him. On a final note I cant wait for Sloan to be in that side, he is an elite talent and I want to always remember him for that and not just having an attitude about what is or isnt happening, he just needs to realise that he is playing a game that we all wish we could have played at his level and had 5% of the talent he possess. Good luck son but get your head right and put a smile on your face, enjoy what you love playing.

Hey justa, just to note that comments were made by the Fox team before the Roosters game about Amone and how he is really putting in at training and doing everything he can to improve. He is apparently spending time outside of training getting up to speed with different elements of the game etc. They were really complimentary and praised his work ethic and drive to excel.

So it appears as though some are working super hard to improve and be a part of the team. I can't comment on all of the youngsters but you are right, it appears (at least from the outside) that Sloan isn't taking the same approach that Ramsay and Amone are.

getsmarty

Immortal

NRL squad for Round 20 v North Queensland Cowboys –​

1. Moses Mbye – sponsored by EFEX
2. Mat Feagai – sponsored by Aspec Masonry
3. Jack Bird – sponsored by Kingsgrove Sports Centre
4. Zac Lomax – sponsored by Floormania
5. Tautau Moga – sponsored by Wollongong Jetski
6. Talatau Amone – sponsored by Carinya Village – Jindabyne
7. Ben Hunt (c) – sponsored by Belle Property
8. Jack de Belin – sponsored by TripADeal
9. Andrew McCullough – sponsored by St George Food Distributors
10. Blake Lawrie – sponsored by Gym Solutions
11. Billy Burns – sponsored by Shire Steel and Fabrication
12. Jaydn Su'A – sponsored by Modus Projects
13. Tariq Sims – sponsored by Deicorp

Interchange:
14. Tyrell Sloan – sponsored by DEMOCO
15. Aaron Woods – sponsored by Jamesons Strata Management
16. Francis Molo – sponsored by Professionals Padstow
17. Josh McGuire – sponsored by TLE Alexandria
18. Michael Molo
19. Max Feagai
20. Jaiyden Hunt
21. Tyrell Fuimaono
22. Jackson Ford

Maddragon99

Juniors
Mbye to Fullback & Bird to the centres? Where do any points come from? Griffin is a muppet!

Surely this was the chance to bring back Sloan & give Max his chance at centre. Mbye is nothing better than a bench utility.

Hopefully there’s some late changes to the starting team otherwise I don’t see us getting close to the Cows.

be55

Juniors
I wouldn't mind betting that the club are of the opinion that Josh Kerr is the so called "leaker". He's been obviously black listed from the team.

For a while now i don't think he's even been able to make the reserves list when the team is first named on Tuesdays.

Personally i think he would add more off the bench than Woods does, if he can keep the errors out of his game. But an obvious pen has been put through his name. Would love to know why.

Let's face it, Woods has an error or two in his game as well, if you're going to compare the two...

Smacka

Juniors
Any idea what his stance is on gay people? Maybe we can wear a rainbow jersey this week and force him to sit out?
Gotta love Manly. They obviously believe their Team played like androtops last week & now make 'em front up in the rainbow jerseys. In similar circumstances we wear the shite all red outfit (& produce results that match it).

Dragon David

First Grade
I fully agree with your sentiments about Tyrell. His expectations when he started the year in first grade against the Warriors was probably the fullback position was his to lose if injured and as we know he only lasted until the end of the round 3 match against the Sharks which was a game in which I think the coach was severe with him and dropped him without any further encouragement.

He has been languishing in the reggies since then with indifferent games and has now been selected on the bench against the Cowboys for round 20. I believe that he wasn't happy being dropped and was going through some tough times. There have been a couple of guys helping him through this period I'm sure and will no doubt make him feel more positive particularly now that Hook has brought him into the 17 for Sunday's game.

Now that Ramsey is out, which I hope will only be a couple of games, Tyrell has the chance to redeem himself in a way and get back full time in first grade. Hook can use him if needed at fullback or wing.

Latest posts