What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 21 vs. the SCUM

Como Connection

First Grade
Sure it's relatively early days but Amone is starting to stand out as a bit of a weakness in the team. Obviously defensively he has his moments but his attack is pedestrian for someone touted as a dynamic young player. It doesn't help with the noise regarding Sullivan and Hunt...at this current point it's Amone I would feel least concerned about losing.

Sullivan got somewhat crucified for a poor game during origin. Sloan will cop it for tonight (he was not good when needed) but Amone should not avoid the microscope for now a full season of being very, very vanilla. A better 6 tonight and we come up with enough points to win.
Bird

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
I’m disappointed with Sloan. Love the kid but how many of the same f**k ups does he do. Dropped bomb cost us vs the Titans and tonight’s error cost them any chance of snatching the win. It’s Dufty errors all over again.

Not sure where we go with him to be honest. Ramsey should be back next week so where does Sloan play??

Over to Amone. Hate to say it but he really does zero for me. 1 good thing attack wise for about 10 average things. Loves a jersey grab too. Cost us 2 tries tonight that wouldn’t be acceptable in under 16’s let alone a 1st grade 5/8. My head hurts atm
Ramsey is a gun player. Probably wouldn’t have made a difference tonight, But for a young player, he really plays like a seasoned first grader.

I'm Hornby

Juniors
Over to Amone. Hate to say it but he really does zero for me. 1 good thing attack wise for about 10 average things. Loves a jersey grab too. Cost us 2 tries tonight that wouldn’t be acceptable in under 16’s let alone a 1st grade 5/8. My head hurts atm
I've said more than my bit about Sloan but also agree with you about Amone. How many times did he get the ball in a crucial time tonight and decided to give it on to Sua on the last tackle? FFS he is supposed to be the 2IC of the attack and he dishes up that rubbish.

I'm sorry but our coach has been more than patient with Sloan and Amone. Both have been given their fair share of chances and here we are.

I'm sure we'll find out whether or not Sullivan has the ability to play first grade in the not too distant future as well.

The funniest part of tonight was people shouting dragons 13+ from the rooftops all week 😂

Last edited:

Gareth67

First Grade
Our game improved in the second half however that Sharks defense was up to the job and our attack was not.

There seem to be a lot of frustration out there at times by our boys , errors , not tackling as if your season depended upon it and just a sheer bluudy mess all round.

So what’s in store for next season I wonder ? They have all but cleaned out the coaching ranks - except one . Perhaps that individual should be sent packing as well ? 😳

Last edited:

redv13

Bench
Our game improved in the second half however that Sharks defense was up to the job and our attack was simply not up to the job .

There seem to be a lot of frustration out there at times by our boys , errors , not tackling as if your season depended upon it and just a sheer bluudy mess all round.

So what’s in store for next season I wonder ? They have all but cleaned out the coaching ranks - except one . Perhaps that individual should be sent packing as well ? 😳
I think he’s gone Gaz. I’m sure they’ll just ride out the last month then they will pull the trigger

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Our game improved in the second half however that Sharks defense was up to the job and our attack was simply not up to the job .

Dragons attack near the line. Shift to the left..shift to the right….take a hit up to the middle. Last tackle…shift to the left and take the tackle, or knock it on. We are shithouse.

Spazer

Juniors
Unfortunately sloan keeps the errors in the back of his head and doesn't know how to reset mid-game. It's a shame because he has some skill but I don't believe Hook is the man to help him. Same with Junior, I noticed at half time hook trying to console him after his poor defensive display but his head stayed down and it didn't look like his words were helping.

We will see what he does with the team next week now that finals pressure is off, hopefully ramsey is back as he has been the only shining light in our development, I would also like to see bud get a start against the tits and tigs to see if he offers more than amone.

We will never know whether the juniors can cut it in first grade until they play a dozen consecutive first grade games together under a coach that believes in them and has a game plan that includes attempting to attack the weaknesses of the opposition defence.

The last 20 minutes resembled a training session of a group of players who had just met.

You cannot judge the players based on Hook’s attacking structures and game plan.

At the moment the game plan is give the ball to Ben Hunt.

Thst of itself is not a game plan.

be55

Juniors
I've said more than my bit about Sloan but also agree with you about Amone. How many times did he get the ball in a crucial time tonight and decided to give it on to Sua on the last tackle? FFS he is supposed to be the 2IC of the attack and he dishes up that rubbish.

I'm sorry but our coach has been more than patient with Sloan and Amone. Both have been given their fair share of chances and here we are.

I'm sure we'll find out whether or not Sullivan has the ability to play first grade in the not too distant future as well.

The funniest part of tonight was people shouting dragons 13+ from the rooftops all week 😂
Holy shit you're ruthless Hornby...Just a little drive by on your old mate with the 13+ comment at the end there...cold blooded killer you are 😎

Crush

Coach
Just got home. Missed opportunity tonight, Sharks we’re there for the taking but we just couldn’t get it done. Really pedestrian attack. Just disorganised TBH. It wouldn’t have taken a whole lot to win tonight, if only they had a bit of flair, but alas, they tried to win the only way they are capable of, complete high, low risk, hope the opposition makes errors (which they did)
Anyway, had a bit of fun, always good times at Shark Park, it was boozy as expected!

I'm Hornby

Juniors
Holy shit you're ruthless Hornby...Just a little drive by on your old mate with the 13+ comment at the end there...cold blooded killer you are 😎
Who's my old mate supposed to be? Weren't you the one who said us 13+?

There's a few nonsense posts to filter through on an hourly basis here these days so it's hard to know who belongs to what.

Crush

Coach
Biggest thing to come out of the game was the presser by Griffin
"we were a bit clunky AT TIMES" !!!!!!
What times WEREN'T we clunky, you nufty????
compared to (dare I say) Goulds & Freddy's comments,
"they never looked like they new what to do with the ball & the 5/8 wasn't any where to be seen"
Yep, I don’t think there is one supporter left that still believes Hook is the coach we need, unfortunately he has been a gigantic failure. Just no strategy, lack of foresight, inability to get the players playing to their potential. And a real lack of passion. He doesn’t seem to care or understand the club.
Looking forward to ending the Hook chapter, won’t be long now.

Gareth67

First Grade
I think he’s gone Gaz. I’m sure they’ll just ride out the last month then they will pull the trigger
We can only hope , perhaps Graham would had made a better go of the job - at least he would had the respect of the players and also not play his favourites .

Gareth67

First Grade
Dragons attack near the line. Shift to the left..shift to the right….take a hit up to the middle. Last tackle…shift to the left and take the tackle, or knock it on. We are shithouse.
It’s more of the same of the last 7 - 8 years , the players don’t appear to have any set plan , its all one out stuff and hope for the best .

The shame of it is that they had everything to play for tonight but just went through the motions as always . There was some decent footy at times , however on the main they were sloppy .

The Sharks to me never quite got out of second gear - then again they did not need to .

Last edited:

The Realist

Juniors
Hey Guys. I am just a random Panther fan who watched the game on and off.
I understand your pain having Hook as your coach.

When he was at the Panthers his game plan was pretty much forwards bash the opposition. Hold onto the ball (completions) then have our talented players (at the Time we had players like prime Moylan and T.Peachey) improvise on the field when the opposition had been worn down.

Otherwise we looked like headless chooks. No set plays. No running different shapes, or deep back lines. Does this sound familiar to you guys at all?

His style of coaching does not cut it at NRL level. It is inexcusable to not have set plays and deliberate onfield tactics, rather than just hope a player does something brilliant.

The disciplinarian/Trainer/motivator coach might cut it at lower grades, or May even help a bottom 4-5 team get out of the dumps, but if you want your team to do more than merely compete for (the bottom) of a Top 8 spot, the coach has to do more.