What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 22 - Tigers vs Rabbitohs: Friday 28th July 6pm @Scully Park

callmack1

Staff member
Thankfully, it's time to drop that horror week last week, move on, and start looking forward to the next game. Coming up on Friday night this week, we enter Round 22 with a game against the Tigers out there in Tamworth. With the position we're currently in, this game has turned into a much bigger game than it should be, and we come into this one in absolute must-win territory. I think I speak for everyone when I say I'm sick and tired of the way things have been. Our Season is currently in a free fall, we've got ourselves in that position, well, it's time to drag ourselves back out of it. Enough is enough, I don't want to hear any more excuses, we have to start winning.

A special Round this one, Round 22. It's Women in League Round for 2023. A Round where we celebrate and thank all the women in our lives that are special to us. Mothers, daughters, sisters, grandmothers, aunties, cousins, wives, girlfriends, friends; everyone. Souths will mark the occasion by wearing what is probably our best Women in League jersey to date as we tell the story of Maggie Moloney who is pretty much the Dally M of the women's game. If you don't know who I'm talking about, go and do some research, it's pretty cool. But yea, awesome story behind the jersey, lots of meaning, and it looks great! Hope the boys wear it with pride.

Looking at the Tigers, with all due respect to them, if we can't beat them, well then, I think it's fair to say we don't deserve to be in the Finals. They come into this game dead last in 17th. They're way out of form and are really struggling. And that's not to mention all the drama that's going on at the club which has played out very publicly, that's got to have some sort of effect. So really, on paper, we should certainly be winning this one. However, in saying that, I do not want to see us take them lightly because as soon as you do that, you get your pants pulled down which we've seen in many games the last ten weeks. It really is beware of the wounded Tiger this week and I have no doubt that they'll come into this one, see us a bit down on form, and see this as a big opportunity to knock us over so we need to be wary. Of course, they do possess some talent in that team and there are some real threats out there. The young fullback, Bula, is the main one to watch, as are guys like Koroisau, Papali'i, Bateman and Brooks, if he's back for them this week. Mentality will win this game and I think between the ears this week is key. As I said, we know Wests will come in fired up and ready to go, when you're on the bottom of the ladder, you have to come into every game like that, but what sort of mentality will we bring?

For us, it's time to wipe the slate clean. As I have said, we're in a really bad position at the moment and it's all our own fault. It's simply not good enough, not acceptable, and I've had enough. Enough is enough. We should be doing a lot better than we are, we should be up near the top four, genuinely competing for a Premiership but we're not. You can't change what has happened, but we can shape what is going to happen in the coming weeks. Our destiny is in our own hands and it's time to start fulfilling that destiny. It all starts this week. It has to start this week, there's no if's or buts. As I have said, this is a must-win. For me, I've gone on about it so much, but it all starts with between the ears, our attitude and mentality. If the entire side turns up switched on, fired up, and ready for a big night, then we are very hard to beat. Very hard. But the thing is, we haven't seen that consistently since Round 11. I want to see it again on Friday night, we need to see it again on Friday night. From there, we can get back to playing that Rabbitohs Footy we all know and love. Hold the ball for God's sake, get your discipline right and sort that bloody defence out!!!! It's defence, defence, defence for me this week, that has to be the main focus. We all know that team is in there, we've proven it. This week is about finding that and finding it fast. We simply have to, there is no other option. Having Latrell back will be absolutely massive, and hopefully we see junior return as well, so fingers crossed for a genuine full-strength side this week.

Am I right in saying this will be the first time we've ever played in Tamworth? That will be cool for all the Rabbitohs supporters up there. I can't believe we're in must-win territory, but we are. It is what it is, just got to go do it in Women in League Round. Let's do this!! The redemption story begins!!

Glory, Glory.

Last edited:

callmack1

Staff member
Damien Cook Media Round 22: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/damien-cook-media-round-22

Cameron Murray Media Round 22: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/cameron-murray-media-round-22

Cody Walker Media Round 22: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/cody-walker-media-round-22

Fantastic interviews with all the boys there! Really good. Great to hear from three senior players. I know it's just talk at this stage but they'll all spot on with what they've said. All very honest, all very determined and excited to get back to our winning ways. Gives me confidence we're going to respond this week.

As I said, as great as it is to hear, it is all just talk though, we need action.

callmack1

Staff member
Here's my predicted line up for Round 22 against the Tigers,

1. L.Mitchell
2. Johnston
3. Tass
4. Graham
5. Milne
6. Walker
7. Ilias
8. Tatola
9.Cook
10. Sele
11. Koloamatangi
12. Arrow
13. Murray (C)

14. Cartwright
15. Moale
16. Havili
17. Burgess

Pretty self-explanatory really.

There's some talk that Munro is fit again and good to play, if that's the case I think they'll name him in the reserves and make a decision closer to kick off. I expect Tatola to be named and we'll just see what happens.

On the bench, I just have a feeling that Jed is going to be named. We need someone off the bench to play second row, Hosty should get dropped, Tallis isn't an edge and I think Chee Kam is still injured. Jed has starred in the last two Cup games so he could be back in.

The rest explains itself.

Look forward to finding out tomorrow!

callmack1

Staff member

callmack1

Staff member
Rabbitohs NRL squad for Round 22 against Tigers: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/-rabbitohs-nrl-squad-for-round-22-against-tigers

Team list Tuesday babyyyy!!!!

Team is looking pretty good, basically as predicted by many. So stoked to see Trell named and ready to go, that's obviously the big in and the most exciting thing about this team list. Pumped for that!!

Not so pumped to see that Junior obviously still isn't right with that neck injury. That's a blow. We've named Jai to start at prop with Hosty coming into to start on the left edge. I'm not against Jai starting in the front row, but I do disagree with Hosty starting in the second row. He has be woeful for quite a while now and he's probably the only player where I really question his place in the team right now. I think we would have been better served with Jai on an edge again and having Tom, Shaq, Davvy or DSF start. In saying that, hopefully Hosty can finally step up and perform. This is his chance to, he needs to.

The rest of the starting 13 remains the same which I'm happy with.

Looking at the bench, I called it that Jed would be back!! His form in NSW Cup recently probably deserves it. Let's hope he can carry that through to first grade. Otherwise, the bench is as expected.

A good-looking side! Can't wait for Friday night!

Steenson123

Juniors
Mitchell should be Captain. He has the charisma, is a natural leader and has the on field verbal presence that Murray lacks. Murray is a mogadon. No presence, no charisma. Mitchell is totally special in many ways its only his injury issues which stymies that.

callmack1

Staff member
Wot about this Round 22: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/wot-about-this-round-22

Latrell return saves Souths No. 7 from axe as club's Reynolds 'blunder' still 'won't go away': https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...a/news-story/42c1fc6365ba429a6b4e6e2d68974be7

While I agree Lachy hasn't been at his best the last few weeks and I am not happy with him, to suggest he was going to be dropped is ridiculous in my opinion. I couldn't see it actually happening this year. Should he be under pressure? Yea, should he be give a kick up the backside? Yes!! I think this is maybe a public way of putting him on notice. Hopefully his game on Friday resembles that.

assess5

Juniors
Mitchell should be Captain. He has the charisma, is a natural leader and has the on field verbal presence that Murray lacks. Murray is a mogadon. No presence, no charisma. Mitchell is totally special in many ways its only his injury issues which stymies that.
If you like a captain that only plays half the season

callmack1

Staff member

Nutz

Bench
My Wests Tigers NRLW side are going to take on the NRL bunnies... we'll definitely have a better chance that way.

callmack1

Staff member
This week has gone bloody quick because once again, it's that day we all long for and look forward to. Get up Souths fans, rise and shine because it's game day!!!! Been looking forward to this one big time, a very important one in the context of our Season, against an old rival in the Tigers. Must win game, absolute must win. There are no more ifs or buts, no more excuses. We have to go out there and get the job done in Tamworth tonight. Do it boys and do it now. our run has to start tonight.

Making the occasion even bigger is the fact that it's Women in League Round. One of the more special Rounds of the year and we will mark the occasion by wearing our Maggie Moloney jerseys tonight. Can't wait to see the boys run out in them and hopefully it sparks some real pride and a big performance from our boys tonight.

Looking at the Tigers, with respect to them, this is a game we should really be winning if we want to work our way back into contention in this run home. Wests are dead last; they've had a number of tough losses in a row and aren't looking particularly flash. There's also a lot of drama within that club which can't help at all. However, the closer we get to kick off, and especially waking up this morning on game day, I really feel like they're going to come out hard tonight and make a good account of themselves. I am starting to really feel like they're going to make us work for this one and this isn't going to be an easy win or a walkover by any means. They're playing for pride, to prove a point, and to work their way off the bottom of the ladder. That can make a side dangerous for sure. On top of that, they're pretty much back to full strength and have named one of their better-looking line ups this Season. I think the main threat for the Tigers tonight is young Bula at the back. he does so much for them, and they'd be doing even worse than they are without him there. So, we have to find a way to shut him down and limit the impact. Their halves are a bit stronger than they have been in recent weeks with Brooks returning and looking for a big game, and Laurie at 5/8 who I think is underrated. Their backline is capable of putting points on, and their pack is actually very decent with guys like Klemmer, Utoikamanu, Bateman, and Papali'i. This is all rounded out by one of the best hookers in the game in Koroisau. That's certainly not a side you can sleep on.

For us, I've said this so many times in my game day posts this year, but it is none truer than tonight, that this game is all about attitude. Tonight, is all about what's going on with our side between the ears. if we turn up with an attitude like we showed against the Warriors a few weeks ago, we'll be extremely hard to beat and will most likely play ourselves into form. That's what I want to see. On the other end of the scale, if the boys go out there thinking this is an easy win, or the result is a given, then we could be in for a nasty surprise. I don't want to see any hint of complacency and there shouldn't be because we're no longer in a position to be complacent. Every game is a must win from now on, so I want to see everyone out there switched on, fired up and giving it their absolute all. get that right first and foremost, and hopefully the rest of our performance will flow off the back of that. That will hopefully be particularly true with our defence which needs to be fixed quick smart. That's the biggest area of focus for me tonight, we've got to get back to being that starchy defensive side and that starts in this game. It has to. I'm not worried about our attack, that will come, it's without the ball that we really need to get right tonight. The second main thing is errors. Make 15 of them again and we'll keep the Tigers in the game, you simply cannot do that. Can't wait to see Trell back, he'll help with every aspect I just talked about and with him back, I think you'll see a different team tonight. I think we'll see a team that will really put their hand up and say 'hey, we're still here.' We have to.

Women in League Round in Tamworth, in a must win game on a Friday night. Sounds like an exciting one to me! Let's goooooo!!!

Glory, Glory.

Rabbits20

Immortal

Well here we are Game Day is upon us this Friday as we play against the Wests Tigers. The run home is really on now with just six rounds left in the regular season. For us we need to dump last week and our attitude has to be a lot better it just has to be. There is no excuses now the boys have to want it as well. When we last played the Tigers we won 20-0 but it was 8-0 for a long period of the game so we know they will play with resilience. But I like what JD said at he pre game day presser in that way we are fully focused on ourselves not too worried what the Tigers are doing.

Looking at the Tigers yes they’re coming last but they still have threats that can hurt us. They get Brooks back and they have Api back too. They have Bula at the back who is very talented and they have some solid middles. So we will need to be on defensively we can’t afford to be lazy otherwise they’ll put some points on. For us our first up contact in defence needs to be better and we need to stop the offloads. We need to play with enthusiasm and run hard and tackle hard. In attack we need to be patient and not try to score off every play. We need to start fine tuning our game now. Looking at our side it’s so good to get Trell back we have greatly missed him the last 10 weeks and I’m sure he will bring a big boost to the boys out there but we can’t expect him just to do it the whole 17 need to do their jobs. We have to want this win badly and after the massive spray JD gave the boys last week hopefully the boys respond. We can get some momentum back but it has to start today!

RABBITOHS MEMBERS AND SUPPORTERS AT 5:58PM TOMORROW EVERYONE ON YOUR FEET LETS URGE THE BOYS HOME WEAR THE COLOURS PROUDLY SHOUT YOURSELF HOARSE WE CAN DO THIS GLORY GLORY!! THE TURNAROUND STARTS NOW!!!

SOUTH SYDNEY CLAP CLAP CLAP