What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 22 - Tigers vs Rabbitohs: Friday 28th July 6pm @Scully Park

callmack1

Staff member
Ahhh what a roller coaster of a game that was!!! I felt so many emotions throughout the course of the 80 minutes, it was crazy! Certainly, far from our best tonight and I wouldn't call it a great performance. Certainly not. But you know what? We did enough to get a much-needed result. A win's a win, seriously, it doesn't matter how you get them. Honestly, I'll take any sort of win at this point, and we did that. We're back in the winner's circle and hopefully, starting to get back on track. I'm feeling sheer relief right now. God, we needed that.

Pretty clunky performance, I think. Honestly, we looked fantastic at times. Some really good ball movement in there that looked lethal as. But we looked like that more sparingly than we all would have liked. For the most part, it was pretty damn clunky. Just looked a bit off. Still too many errors too. Thankfully, we did enough and had enough class to shine through.

Defence as a whole was okay. Better line speed, better energy and better contact. There was much more intent. However, we really let ourselves down with those 20 minutes after half time. That was just putrid and disgraceful. Didn't even turn up defensively after halftime and the Tigers ran in two tries to bring it within two points. That was a ppor period, simply not good enough. If we played those 20 minutes like we had the other 60, then the score could have ended up 30-6 or something like that, and we'd all be absolutely buzzing.

A successful return for Trell is the biggest positive for me.

Clunky night, not the greatest but man, I'm stoked to get the win so well-done boys! Much needed.

Glory, Glory.

Steenson123

Juniors
On a positive note Sir Alex is only 6 scores away from the Silver Medal. He could have had 4 tonight. What a magnificent individual this man is!!
On the downside, what is up with Walker? He seems overweight and stressed, well off the pace and erratic in his actions. Murray and Cook too seem sluggish, not sharp at all. Is this a blowback effect from their time with Fittler? Did the effort for Fittler drain these 3 guys? They do not appear the same individuals.

callmack1

Staff member
Rabbitohs escape Tigers to secure two points in Tamworth: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/match-report-round-22

Press Conference - Round 22: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/rabbitohs-round-22

'Not fair on the kid' - Rabbitohs coach responds to 'ridiculous' Ilias report: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/31f3998b9e3c8c50af3faaa81370c9ca

The 'best' sign in Latrell's 'timely' return as Bunnies bounce back in top eight after Tigers scare - Big Hits: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...l/news-story/4087dc56539ef905d37f97210b77e120

Nafedogg

Juniors
Scrappy win is a win, I’ll take it. Hopefully it gets the monkey off our backs. Have to agree with comments that a few guys look tired or disinterested. Was good to see Latrell running the football again. Cody was off but in fairness has been playing good footy this year. Lachie played alotttt better this week.

callmack1

Staff member
After watching the replay, here's my full report,

Attack

Our attack was certainly far from perfect last night but on second viewing, it actually wasn't as bad as I thought after watching it live.

Firstly, our yardage sets were pretty decent for most of the night. They weren't outstanding or anything, we weren't absolutely pouring through the middle, but they were solid. The forwards did their job, and they were supported pretty well by our outside backs who rolled their sleeves up. As a result of this, it's hard to tell, but I do feel like we won the field position battle overall. The area of the game where this wasn't so good was the 20 minutes after half time. That's where it got pretty diabolical. Not sure what happened but it was like the boys just didn't come out with any sort of energy in the second half during that time. This saw us get swamped and stuck in our own end. There were some really ineffective sets for us trying to get out. A lot of one-out running, no real sign of a plan B, no energy or impact. Even the energy to get up and play the ball as quickly as possible seemed way off which was disappointing. Were looked to be stuck in a rut and I was really concerned. Thankfully, all it took was one break by Keaon and normal service resumed for the rest of the game so well done to the lads for being able to turn momentum this time.

Our actual good ball attack was a little mixed but as I mentioned earlier, not as bad as I initially thought. Apart from all our tries and a few other great movements which produced line breaks or nearly produced a try, it did look a little clunky. Passes not hitting their mark, mistimed runs, guys not being in the right position, errors, and so many friggin crash balls plagued us. It's fair to say the timing was just a bit off. Is that excusable considering this team hasn't played all together for twelve weeks? Maybe, I'm not sure. But we need to be better.

In saying that, four of the five tries we scored were pure attacking brilliance. Beautiful to watch. I especially enjoyed Tassy's try and AJ's third as they were all class. Just goes to show you what we can do when we click.

Defence

Looking at our defensive effort as a whole, it was certainly a decent improvement on recent weeks which was good to see. For most of the game, our intensity which made us such a good defensive side earlier in the year had returned. I'm talking line speed, first contact, wrapping up the ball, kick chase etc. It was all back and looked pretty good. We were absolutely belting them at some stages which we haven't seen the team do to an opposition for a while. basically, it was just all the little things we were getting so wrong recently, we were getting them right this time. Even when the Tigers did make a break, the cover was there which I like to see because it shows a better attitude.

Our goal line defence also looked pretty solid for much of the game. I know we were facing a pretty average attacking side, but you can only play what's in front of you and they didn't look like scoring for much of the game.

But that's what really disappointed me about the 20 minutes after halftime as we kind of undid all of that and slipped back into bad habits. All of a sudden, the attitude in defence looked completely different and everything good I've just mentioned earlier, flipped and went the other way. It was really poor. All of a sudden, the Tigers scored two pretty soft tries to get back within two and they were making breaks all over the place. We'd completely dropped the bundle.

Thankfully, the lads steadied the ship and got back to what was working for us. The final twenty was pretty good. It could have turned pretty ugly otherwise.

Player By Player

L.Mitchell: Yewwwww he's back!!! And what an almighty return it was. Trell starred for us and was one of the better players out there. You could clearly see the difference me makes to our team, even just with the way everyone else played. I wouldn't say he did anything particularly flashy like we all know he can, it was more just his involvement, effort and attitude, and work rate that I was really pleased with. He was heavily involved! Chimed into the attack pretty well, looked super dangerous there and when the team got things right, it just looked so much better with Trell out there. His kick returns were fantastic! There was no passing it off to his wingers, he took on the defence every time and gave it his all. That effort to get out of the in goal in the second half off a Brooks grubber and get it up to our twenty was freakish! Only Trell could do that. Played a big hand in Tassy's try as he made the half break straight through the middle off Murray's offload. That gave us momentum, and then two plays later, Trell's hands are all over it again as he threw the beautiful cut out pass to AJ to find space and set up Tassy. Good stuff from Trell. He made no errors all game, was safe at the back, made a huge try saving tackle on Tupou in the second half which I now feel had a big bearing on the result and his goal kicking way okay. His final key stats read a massive 171 meters off 18 carries, this was a team high, with a big 11 tackle breaks. I think this performance from Trell is a very ominous warning to the rest of the comp because his involvement was so high. I wouldn't say he was 'the man' in this game but he was still one of our best players. Not many super flashy plays but look at what he did and the influence he had. That's scary for other teams because those flashy plays will come. This game just shows where his attitude is at. He's fit and fired up. A new series of Trellivision is just beginning!

Johnston: Very good! One of our best and one of his best games of the year. What a start for him! That intercept was awesome! Great anticipation and reading of the play as he could probably tell Bateman was going to be forced into passing without looking and just like that, he swooped on it and ran 70 meters! What pace too! He's still just as fast as even Bula couldn't get him. About 16 minutes later, he came up with another massive play, this time being the provider for a try. Taking that pass from Trell off the end of a big shift before going hard for the corner and getting a great pass away to Tassy to score was great to watch, awesome play! He had his own second try a little while later, great positioning to receive the ball and dive straight for the corner in a split second. Later in the second half, he got an easy one to complete his hattrick and 184th try of his career which was amazing to see. In between all the try scoring and try scoring involvements, I thought all other areas of his game were on point. Tough carries, no errors, no personal defensive errors. A great night for AJ!

Tass: Pretty good game from Tassy. I do have the one criticism though which I'll get to shortly. But he was outstanding in attack all night! very dangerous and put on some great plays. Was rewarded for his support play when he scored a well-deserved try, but then his real highlight probably came a bit later when he laid on AJ's second. Cody put him in a one-on-one situation with Nofoaluma who rushed up on him, but in an amazing show of strength, he just completely threw him off, said "get out of my way" and left him for dead, beat another tackle from Laurie, before putting AJ over for his second. That is probably one of the highlights of his young career so far to be honest. What a play!!!! Later in that half, he would have come up with another amazing play and sent AJ over again if it wasn't for Nofoaluma batting his pass down. He had another shot in the second half though and didn't miss this time. Awesome catch-and-pass to send AJ over for his third, that was extremely classy. Apart from all that stuff, the rest of his game was very solid. His defence was much better than last week which was great to see. The one criticism I do have of him though? I've noticed lately that when he's taking a hit up, he seems more interested in hopping, skipping and trying to beat a tackle using footwork. This rarely works, and because he's not running as hard as he could be, he often got folded last night. Just run hard son!!

Graham: Not a whole heap to write home about for Stretch last night but that's not to say he had a bad game or anything. He was actually very good. It was just the way the game played out and it meant that he didn't see a hell of a lot of quality attacking ball so didn't really provide any highlights. But we didn't need highlights to appreciate the work that Stretch does. It was one of those tough old games for him, but he battled through beautifully! Great carries coming out of our own end, really strong, and there were plenty of them. His defence was pretty solid for most of the game as he had a fair bit thrown at him but held it out. However, I do think the Tigers second try was partially his fault. He was at marker and over-chased on Brooks which created the space inside. He didn't really need to do that though as Lachy probably had Brooks covered. Anyway, not a bad night for him. I hope his sternum is okay.

Milne: Kind of similar to Campbel in that he didn't see a lot of clean attacking ball as we mostly went left but he did still have a very good game. Rolled his sleeves up, constantly put his hand up and made carries out of our end when we needed it. He finished with 127 meters from 13 carries which is one hell of an effort. No real individual errors from him in defence and what about his work under the high ball? Caught every single one!

callmack1

Staff member
Walker: Definitely not his best game and I think he'd be the first to admit that. it couldn't really have started worse for him as he made three errors in the first ten minutes. A bad pass over the sideline while we were on the attack, a forward pass coming out of our end, then dropped a grubber he'd usually take which directly led to a try. It really wasn't good, but you could see he was filthy with himself. To his credit, he kind of brushed it off and ended up having a decent game after that thankfully. Came alive a bit on Tassy's try as he threw a beauty of a pass out to Taane which got us really going, that was great play. he then played his part on the very next play with some quickish hands to shuffle it on and get the ball wide. Nice play by him for AJ's second too as he called the play down the short side, skipped out Trell which got Tass in a one-on-one, and he did the rest. Had a hand in AJ's third too, nice ball playing from Cody to hold up the pass just long enough so the defence couldn't slide. That created the two-on-one overlap. I thought his defence was pretty crap in the twenty minutes after halftime as he was missing tackles everywhere, one lead to the To'a break. So not the best night for Cody personally but that's okay, he'll be better, and we did enough to win.

Ilias: Awesome stuff from Lachy who has just produced one of his best games of his career, certainly his best performance since Round 1. I'm so proud of him too because he's copped a lot in recent weeks and hasn't been playing well. But to not only play well and respond, but to respond and star the way he did was so good to see. It's a great sign of the kind of player we have here. He probably over-shadowed Cody to be honest and that doesn't happen often. Firstly, there was his try involvements. Beautiful little grubber kick for Keaon's try, it was literally perfect! Perfect weight, perfect angle, it doesn't get much better! Then right at the end of the game, he takes the ball deep into the line and delivers a flat ball straight onto his skippers' chest. Wil Smith is looking at Trell, so Cam goes straight through the hole off Lachy and scores! Brilliant ball playing! Secondly, his defence and effort areas last night were exceptional. Nothing got through him despite constantly being the target of bigger ball runners, he made some great front on tackles as well as some nice cover tackles. He owned the biggest effort of the game to chase back and clean up that kick off the To'a break. Honestly, what a friggin play!! All effort and I was actually pretty blown away by that. You could see the desire there, awesome! It's a shame he lost the ball in the tackle after as it was a mega play. His running game was great, and he almost sliced through in the first half only to lose the ball. Man, I wish he held onto that! Could have been anything or turned into anything. Finally, to put the cherry on top, that was easily the best I've ever seen him kick last night. It was a really solid kicking game with huge punts to get us out of trouble. I've never seen him kick that long with his punts or that high on his bombs. Just goes to show you he is capable. Great game Lachy! Proud of you.

Arrow: Probably gets my man of the match for a second week in a row. What a performance! He just ripped and teared all night long. All his runs were all effort and he made great meters, plenty of them too as he constantly put his hand up and really lead the way for the rest of our pack. Laid a great platform and really took it to their pack. In defence, he was just as enormous too. 129 meters for him with 21 tackles. The biggest indicator of his performance though was how we performed without him. It's no coincidence that the twenty minutes we were terrible for happened while he was off the field, and then things turned back in our favor when he came back on. Well done, Jai, massive effort for the second week in a row.

Cook: I wasn't happy at all with him last night and I'm still not overly pleased with his performance, but I will say, watching the game again, he wasn't as off as I thought. He went okay, just nothing special. Still tackled himself to an absolute stand still as he always does with a big 38. I just wasn't happy with his service while we were on the attack. It was slow and indecisive. A couple of passes missed their mark too which is frustrating as it stifled us a bit. That's not to mention the amount of bloody crash tackles he goes for! Grrrrrrr. I personally think Cooky needs to be better.

Sele: Not sure what happened with Sele as he was massive in his opening stint but then didn't come back on. Hopefully not an injury but that's the only reason I can think of as to why he didn't get back on because he was playing so well.

Koloamatangi: Much better. Way better!!! After a poor game last week, Keaon was back up to scratch in this one and back up to his usual standard. In fact, I'd say he was one of our better forwards out there last night. Plenty of barnstorming runs to put the Tigers on the back foot, some of them when we needed it most. Scored that awesome try off Lachie's boot which is great anticipation of the play by him to read the kick and be the first there to pounce on it and finish it off. I also gotta tip my hat to him for that massive break mid-way through the second half as it completely changed the game. Things were looking a bit dour, but Keaon stood up and came up with a big play to flip the momentum. That was huge and it was almost all on his own too. Good stuff Keaon.

Host: Much better. Still not really much to talk about with Hosty but instead of being poor like in recent weeks, I'd say he did his job this time. That's an improvement on how he's been going lately. Still unhappy with that really poor attempt at tackle on Pole when he scored though. That was pretty pathetic.

Murray: He was exceptional. Really good. I'd be absolutely raving about his game if it wasn't for the couple of poor errors he made in the first half, they were so uncharacteristic for him. But aside from that, God he was good! Close to my man of the match. I lost count of the number of good carries he had. Really zippy runs in which he'd poke his nose through and generate some speed around the ruck which was much needed at times. I really don't know how he does it for a bloke of his size. It's inspirational though, as it was again last night. 13 runs for 155 meters for Cam, a real captain's knock. His ball playing was great, opened up a lot for Cody and Latrell, and as always, his defensive efforts were just amazing. Did give away a couple of penalties though. But anyway, how about that try too?!! Man, that was good! To slice straight through like that, and then dummy to score?!! Oh my god it was beautiful!

Moale: Davvy hasn't really impressed me lately and I've got to admit, that was the case again last night. he went okay, but I just felt he didn't really provide a great deal of impact. Came on and got folded in a lot of his runs. Also, a bad effort on Pole when he scored. But hey, he's young and raw so we can't expect him to be great every single week.

Havili: Now there's a man who did provide some punch from the bench!! He went really well as he always does. A lot of energy as he came on and really helped to pick up the tempo. All his carries were good, and I didn't notice him put a foot wrong in defence.

Cartwright: One of his better games of the year to be honest! I understand he only played 20 minutes so there was no real fatigue in his game, but he went well.

Burgess: Speaking of going well, how good was big Tommy B?!! Colossal of the bench!! You could really feel the difference he made almost straight away once he came on. From then on, jeez he put in a big effort. 20 runs!! Yes, 20!! That's massive for a front rower. Huge work rate! This yielded 164 meters. massive stuff Tom, well done.

Man, I'm just relived to get the win!! I know we weren't at our best and there is so much work still to do, but a win's a win and we'll honestly take them any way we can right now. So happy to do that. Hopefully it's a bit of a steppingstone for the rest of our Season.

Glory, Glory.

assess5

Juniors
If you compare Mitchell's game last night to any of Taafes' games its like comparing an adult to a child - now, I like Taafe, he gives it everything and I think he will do real well at half back with the bulldogs - I wish him the best.

None of that changes the amount of time, each season that Mitchell, through injury, suspension or state of origin duties , has been unavailable to Souths.

I would much rather Walker as captain, he has some fire in his belly, he'd get up those forwards when they started to bludge.
Captaincy would help keep Walkers' mind on the job, some times he does go missing.

Last edited: