What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 25 Schedule

Tradition? :lol: Get a grip. Just because "Leichhardt" appears on the draw doesn't make it automatically a Sunday.

Friday night there will be bloody awesome too.

Friday will get a crowd of around 15-16k. Sunday would of been up towards 20k.

Karmawave

Bench
Newcastle would pull a 25-26K sellout for the game vs the Storm on any other time slot other than Saturday night at 5.30pm. ( maybe not Monday night ) Even the Saturday 7.30pm time slot would go close to a sellout. But no...

What business model reduces profits by messing things like this up? Oh, the NRL?

Jobdog

Live Update Team
surely the knights v storm would be the match of the round? maybe 9 dont think newcastle will still be in with a shot at the finals??? seems like a ridiclous decision to me.
I'm hanging onto a glimmer of hope that should results in the next few weeks force it to be swapped with the Bulldogs-Broncos game.

Mitcho

Juniors
I don't see how its a load of tripe. If we get a home semi final the fixture will be controlled by the 'Brains' as the NRL and we will only be hosting the event, therefore any farewell the club is planning for Beaver will have to be scheduled for the monday night instead of a Sunday afternoon in front of a packed house that would be fitting for a guy that has been nothing but a gentlemen and legend of the game.

macavity

Referee
are they naming the dunnies up the back of the hill after Beaver?

even better

rename it the Jane Try Beaver stand... :sarcasm:

lockyno1

Post Whore
I don't see how its a load of tripe. If we get a home semi final the fixture will be controlled by the 'Brains' as the NRL and we will only be hosting the event, therefore any farewell the club is planning for Beaver will have to be scheduled for the monday night instead of a Sunday afternoon in front of a packed house that would be fitting for a guy that has been nothing but a gentlemen and legend of the game.

Poor didums.You can't always get the timeslots you want. Manly have less reason to be angry compared to Newcastle!

Knight87

Juniors
I hope I have woken up from a bad dream. Because, if I haven't, to use a Phil Gould mannerism, "I cannot believe what I have just seen!"

How on earth do the Bulldogs, who look like they will get the wooden spoon if they lose to the Cowboys, get a FTA game, especially after being flogged by 52 pts vs Tigers? And two Friday Night games, within 10km of each other? That doesn't make sense. And Steve Menzies farewell home match on Monday Night? That is a huge disgrace to Manly fans.

As I said earlier, the Manly/Gold Coast match and Newcastle/Melbourne match should've been on Sunday afternoon (Manly/Gold Coast at 2pm, Newcastle/Melbourne at 3pm). A near sellout attendance would've been on the cards for both matches (if weather was fine), but now due to the crap timeslots, Brookvale Oval won't be getting much more than 12,000 on a Monday Night (when they could've got 18-19,000 on a Sunday). Newcastle/Melbourne at Sat 5:30pm will probably get about 22-23,000, but on a Sunday would've got 25-26,000.

Last edited:

The Dodger

First Grade
i reckon this weekends match between cowboys and bulldogs should have been on friday.

battle of the cripples.

Knight87

Juniors
From Grant Meyer on MSE:

'For those that believe that the Home Final will be his last game you are only partly correct. The event itself is controlled by the NRL and our ability to acknowledge Beaver's achievements will be limited due to other demands on that day. For this reason we will continue with our plans to celebrate his career in Round 25 vs the Titans.'

That's correct.

Farewell matches for players from a club are only done during the regular season, as home finals matches are not guaranteed (at the start of the season). Therefore, the last regular season home match (which guaranteed to be played at that venue, even before the season commences) for a team is the match that is the farewell match for players leaving the club.

Knight87

Juniors
Channel 9 want to show Broncos vs Dogs? My god...what a mess of a game

If the Bulldogs don't lift their game in the next 4 weeks or so, this match could turn as ugly as the Tigers/Bulldogs match last Sunday. If this is the case, Ch9 are bound to get SUPERB ratings for this game:roll:

And, whats with the Broncos on FTA nearly every week? Rd 26, they play the Knights, which most likely will also be on FTA.

Serc

First Grade
Maybe if we renamed ourselves the Newcastle Broncos that might help...

Ice777

Bench
therefore any farewell the club is planning for Beaver will have to be scheduled for the monday night instead of a Sunday afternoon in front of a packed house that would be fitting for a guy that has been nothing but a gentlemen and legend of the game.

I totally agree that a packed house for an absolute stalwart and legend of the club/game would be fitting. But given he's held in such high regard by the Manly fans and deserves a massive send off then they should get their arses to the game irrespective of whether it's a Monday night or not.

The bloke has given you his heart and soul to the club and it's supporters for over a decade and some Manly fans are bitching that they'll have to venture out on a Monday night to give something back to him. That'll do me :roll:

Knight87

Juniors
Wow Danny Buderus last game for Newcastle relegated to the 5.30pm Saturday timeslot?

Unbelievable.

There goes a 25,000 sellout dropped back by about 5 or 6 thousand to high teens/low twenties.

The other Sat 5:30pm home game we had this year was vs Gold Coast, whom we played when they were on top of the ladder and had their full strength side. That got just over 21,000 ppl. If the Knights continue to play well from now to the Storm match and weather is perfect on the night, the most we will get is about 23,000. However, had the match been on Sunday arvo (with good weather), 25-26,000 would've been 100% guaranteed. So, this change in timeslot has decreased the possible attendance by 3,000.

However, in saying that, the Knights largest attendance at EAS (since the AJ Grandstand was finished in early 2005) was 26,198 and that was obtained on the Sat 5:30pm timeslot on a fairly warm afternoon (as daylight savings was still in place), I believe (Rd 1, 2006 vs Parramatta).

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
What sport lets tv companies pick who plays where and when,,, oh wait one that is owned by a tv company...

Which sport lets a tv company show one team every week ie Broncos, to suit a brisbane ratings win, whilst ignoring Melbourne tv.

Independance day to rugby league is just a crap movie with Will Smith in it...

Knight87

Juniors
I totally agree that a packed house for an absolute stalwart and legend of the club/game would be fitting. But given he's held in such high regard by the Manly fans and deserves a massive send off then they should get their arses to the game irrespective of whether it's a Monday night or not.

The bloke has given you his heart and soul to the club and it's supporters for over a decade and some Manly fans are bitching that they'll have to venture out on a Monday night to give something back to him. That'll do me :roll:

You're probably saying that from a Melbourne Storm supporter point of view. The thing is: Public transport in Melbourne craps all over public transport in Sydney. I experienced it first hand when I went to Melbourne last month. All the suburbs in Melbourne are relatively close to each other and very easily accessible via public transport, whereas that is not the same in Sydney.

For the Manly supporters who live South of the Harbour Bridge and work on the Monday and also those south of the bridge who will catch the L90 bus (the one that goes to Palm Beach, via Brookvale. This bus is the only form of public transport from south), it will be very difficult to get to the ground by 7pm, especially on a weekday. I caught the bus to Warringah Mall (near Brookie) and that took over an hour to get there (Pittwater Road was extremely congested).

Last edited:

Karmawave

Bench
Maybe they were tipped off that the Bulldogs v Broncos game in Round 25 will be Sonny Bill's return to the NRL game? :crazy:

t-ba

Post Whore

I work full time in Brisbane. I'm entitled to bitch about this decision.

Knight87

Juniors
Maybe they were tipped off that the Bulldogs v Broncos game in Round 25 will be Sonny Bill's return to the NRL game? :crazy:

:lol: Very funny!

Unfortunately, that ain't going to happen now. Even with Gallop retracting his words, saying that Sonny would be more than welcome back in the NRL, Gallop is living in a fantasy land and has to accept the fact that SBW WILL NOT BE COMING BACK!!!:crazy: That's like saying that Andrew Johns is going to come out of retirement to help 'Supercoach Hagan's heroes', who were absolutely woeful last night.