What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 26 v Warriors

Old Timer

Coach
All these blokes that we complained when Griffen wouldn't give them a run, Slone, Amone, Feagais, Sullivan etc. None of them are NRL standard. Not sure what is happening with our pathways.

We keep blaming pathways about these guys not progressing

The fact is many reach their ceiling just after juniors and are never going to make it regardless of how good your pathways are.

Junior stardom is no guarantee for success in the caldron that is the NRL where having little to no self preservation is a key component for success.

Very few that have left us and gone to clubs with the best coaches and systems have progressed to a point of being anything other than serviceable and none of them are making an emphatic difference to their new clubs premiership chances.

We just fall in love with too many of our juniors and are willing to keep blaming coaches for their surprising lack of skills once they start playing with professionals.

Swagger only gets you so far.

Last edited:

Rocket Rod

Juniors
All these blokes that we complained when Griffen wouldn't give them a run, Slone, Amone, Feagais, Sullivan etc. None of them are NRL standard. Not sure what is happening with our pathways.

Agree we were all misguided by junior football
Coach is only as good as the cattle he has
In saying that I’m glad hook got hooked as his coaching style was too old school

Rocket Rod

Juniors
You cant blame Hunt for last night. It was a dewy slippery surface and I thought he tried and played OK. I blame the attacking game plan show and go sideways, drop back inside it is too predictable.
Besides they are a good defensive side notwithstanding they are quicker than Usain Bolt over 10 metres
I don’t blame him it’s just that we have been in all the games lately and can’t find that one piece of play to get us over the line. Just something from our key man it’s not his fault he hasn’t got it but he’s paid to have it.
Last night even in the slippery conditions Johnson always seemed sharper and more dangerous with the ball than Ben did.
Anyway it is what it is our half/ five eighth just don’t cut the mustard and our fullback thinks he’s playing touch and yet our hooker seems to punch above his weight on a beer budget. Go figure
Flanno is sure gonna have his hands full with our spine or lack of I should say

be55

Juniors
A commendable effort from the boys last night. Full credit goes to Carr for the style of play he has brought to the team since taking over. Win, lose, or draw, I'm not bored shitless watching our games anymore. You can see how much more confident we are as a team, now that he's given them licence to throw the ball around and look to play with more flair. Sure, it didn't convert into points last night, the Warriors are a very good defensive side and will be a handful for any team in the finals. What we are producing on the field is like chalk and cheese to what we did under Griffin. THANK GOD HE'S GONE...

Two things I feel compelled to have my say on...

The six again that Gough awarded in the lead up to the first try. He called hand on the ball. Watching the replay, it would be a physical impossibility for the Warriors player to play the ball any quicker than what he did. What an absolutely ridiculous and totally unnecessary call to make. In my opinion, he went into that set with the idea of awarding a restart, at any cost, and chose to do so in that tackle. I'm not usually one to buy into referee conspiracies, but watching that made me have a rethink. I'd be happy if he never reffed a game of ours again.

And now, the thing that left me completely seething. The try that was scored off the back of the repeat set.

I've have been a fan of Tyrell Sloan's from before he made his first grade debut. With ball in hand he can do special things, but there was always a question around how he would handle the defensive requirements of the full back role, in top grade. I've been one who was willing to give him time, and I always thought that as he filled out, and grew more confident, he would eventually handle the role...

As of now, after this effort, I'm just about at the end of my tether...

In the full game replay, the head on is even more damning. In my opinion, he absolutely squibbed his job to the team and deliberately avoided contact with the Warriors ball runner. It was as bad a defensive non-effort as anything I ever saw from Dufty. As soon as Pompey got that ball, there was only ever one way he was going. Sloan had plenty of time to check his run and put his body on the line. In my opinion he deliberately chose not to. That is unforgiveable. If you actually watch it closely, he nearly steps out of the way to avoid contact. DISGRACEFUL...

There's no way the new coach will put up with that, and nor should he.

Other than that pathetic display, a really whole hearted effort from the boys and hopefully a better year awaits us next year.

Fingers crossed...

Smurf

Juniors
A commendable effort from the boys last night. Full credit goes to Carr for the style of play he has brought to the team since taking over. Win, lose, or draw, I'm not bored shitless watching our games anymore. You can see how much more confident we are as a team, now that he's given them licence to throw the ball around and look to play with more flair. Sure, it didn't convert into points last night, the Warriors are a very good defensive side and will be a handful for any team in the finals. What we are producing on the field is like chalk and cheese to what we did under Griffin. THANK GOD HE'S GONE...

Two things I feel compelled to have my say on...

The six again that Gough awarded in the lead up to the first try. He called hand on the ball. Watching the replay, it would be a physical impossibility for the Warriors player to play the ball any quicker than what he did. What an absolutely ridiculous and totally unnecessary call to make. In my opinion, he went into that set with the idea of awarding a restart, at any cost, and chose to do so in that tackle. I'm not usually one to buy into referee conspiracies, but watching that made me have a rethink. I'd be happy if he never reffed a game of ours again.

And now, the thing that left me completely seething. The try that was scored off the back of the repeat set.

I've have been a fan of Tyrell Sloan's from before he made his first grade debut. With ball in hand he can do special things, but there was always a question around how he would handle the defensive requirements of the full back role, in top grade. I've been one who was willing to give him time, and I always thought that as he filled out, and grew more confident, he would eventually handle the role...

As of now, after this effort, I'm just about at the end of my tether...

In the full game replay, the head on is even more damning. In my opinion, he absolutely squibbed his job to the team and deliberately avoided contact with the Warriors ball runner. It was as bad a defensive non-effort as anything I ever saw from Dufty. As soon as Pompey got that ball, there was only ever one way he was going. Sloan had plenty of time to check his run and put his body on the line. In my opinion he deliberately chose not to. That is unforgiveable. If you actually watch it closely, he nearly steps out of the way to avoid contact. DISGRACEFUL...

There's no way the new coach will put up with that, and nor should he.

Other than that pathetic display, a really whole hearted effort from the boys and hopefully a better year awaits us next year.

Fingers crossed...
Excellent post

Players with the gifted attacking skills of Tyrell Sloan need to be backed to the hilt. It is obvious that our new coach knows a rare gem when he sees one. While defense remains Sloans achilles heel which can only be fixed by a change of attitude, adding some meat to his bones and above all a decent defensive coach, he has improved markedly on those other flaws pointed out by some here, namely defusing bombs with intent, taking bombs cleanly, showing intent when returning the ball. This tells me the kid has a good work ethic and wants to better himself, which is a good basis for a coach to work with.

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
Players with the gifted attacking skills of Tyrell Sloan need to be persevered with and backed to the hilt as it is obvious that our new coach knows a rare gem when he sees one. While defense remains Sloans achilles heel which can only be fixed by a change of attitude, adding some meat to his bones and above all a decent defensive coach, he has improved markedly on those other flaws pointed out by some here, namely defusing bombs with intent, taking bombs cleanly, showing intent when returning the ball. This tells me the kid has a good work ethic and wants to better himself, which is a good basis for a coach to work with.
I agree you can perservere a bit longer
but disagree contact and putting body on the line in defense wont change including bending your back and leading with the shoulder. It is either in you or its not. You can teach him all the good tackle technique in the world but it wont work if he is bit gun shy. All fullbacks at other clubs including jayden campbell have a real go.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
We keep blaming pathways about these guys not progressing

The fact is many reach their ceiling just after juniors and are never going to make it regardless of how good your pathways are.

Junior stardom is no guarantee for success in the caldron that is the NRL where having little to no self preservation is a key component for success.

Very few that have left us and gone to clubs with the best coaches and systems have progressed to a point of being anything other than serviceable and none of them are making an emphatic difference to their new clubs premiership chances.

We just fall in love with too many of our juniors and are willing to keep blaming coaches for their surprising lack of skills once they start playing with professionals.

Swagger only gets you so far.
100 percent agree. How many times have you seen a Saints Jr play first grade poorly and everyone saying “they will be the future and just need a bit more time” and they turn out to be reserve graders playing first grade. We have sucked for so long and we continue to do the same thing over and over again

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Players with the gifted attacking skills of Tyrell Sloan need to be persevered with and backed to the hilt as it is obvious that our new coach knows a rare gem when he sees one. While defense remains Sloans achilles heel which can only be fixed by a change of attitude, adding some meat to his bones and above all a decent defensive coach, he has improved markedly on those other flaws pointed out by some here, namely defusing bombs with intent, taking bombs cleanly, showing intent when returning the ball. This tells me the kid has a good work ethic and wants to better himself, which is a good basis for a coach to work with.
Personally I think if he were a rare gem we would have seen a lot more by now. I grant you he is improving, but for mine he's still barely first grade standard. If the rumours are true that Flanagan wants Lomax at fullback, where does he play?

BLM01

First Grade
I did mention attitude. If anyone can teach him that I believe it is Flanagan. Having said that, he was gun shy returning the ball. Note how he now returns with intent using all the strength in his scrawny frame to not be rag dolled. Like I say he wants to better himself.
read my comments. Attitude to defence not attack. You have to have it or you dont. he may never get it no matter how much Flanno tries. I hope i am wrong but the signs are not good yet. Plenty of young players in NRL show it and are slender. It is not an excuse. Dufty suffered because of it.

maestro1

Bench
Good on the Warriors and Carr for being very gracious. I’m a little sour about a few things.

The Warriors coach commented on their great defence and that Dragons only scored off a kick. Whilst true, he didn’t mention the early flood of penalties and two ( yes two) 5th tackle 6 agains. Blowed if anyone knew what the 6 agains on 5th were about but the home crowd loved the refereeing. Finally dragons defence cracked for Warriors 1 st try on their final second set of 6. Then Lomax was terrible with an arm grab rubbish to let Klonstadt score second. Remember the two 50/50 calls against Lomax and Liddle no trys.

Thereafter, it was an arm wrestle. We started to get some penalties second half which evened up possession. Warriors coach commented about Dragons getting some penalties as though it shouldn’t happen.

OK good luck to Warriors, but really they didn’t look that much chop when the possession evened up. They just started putting up Hail Mary bombs like us. BTW if Musgrove didn’t spill the lollies with 7minutes to go and 20 out, I reckon we win.
Lomax missed that tackle because of his injured shoulder. If he wasn't carrying that injury he would have tackled him. Very difficult to defend those sort of runs when carrying a shoulder injury

Ghostrider22

Juniors
Sloan has been overtaken by other young fullbacks. Jahreem Bula for example showed more intent in his first game than Sloan has in his career.

However, I have seen improvement in Sloan’s game in this back half of this season.
Shows intent your so right, Tyrell looks scared plus his lack of size doesn’t help and a big lack of self confidence.

jak

Bench
Some saying Junior and Tyrell are not FG standard. I beg to differ. Both are still a work in progress but have the benefit of now having a successful coach to guide them thru some choppy waters. If in two years this pair are not killing em then perhaps time to part with them.
every week in the off season sloan should be made to tackle every forward we have.

Last edited: