What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 3 Vs Broncos

possm

Coach
for me Id start with host and have Korbin as a replacement as we need to keep the aggression up as opposition tires . i would drop Luc back to reggies as he does seem tentative in defence and keep kerr
Either start with duffty or give him a spell in reggies its just too confusing to make all those changes to accommodate him and put robson in as his replacement this allows us to rest mcinness which would be of benefit to himself and we could have 2 hookers running from dummy half not mcinness burning himself out all game ..

I agree with you however, K Sims is the more senior player and the more aggressive. So I am more comfortable with K Sims as the run on right edge backrow forward with Host coming on in the last 20min of the first half to take advantage of some tired forards and keep the momentum flowing.

Old Timer

Coach
I agree with you however, K Sims is the more senior player and the more aggressive. So I am more comfortable with K Sims as the run on right edge backrow forward with Host coming on in the last 20min of the first half to take advantage of some tired forards and keep the momentum flowing.
Are they the same tired opposition forwards that Dufty will expose when he comes on?

Vinnie

Juniors
Reports that Lafai has a hammy problem, Lomax may get a start.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/01/23/casualty-ward--late-mail-all-the-latest-nrl-injury-news/

Do we move Aitken to left centre to accomodate Lomax or is that too much forward thinking for our coach?

Would have a better chance if we move Aitken right and play Graham in the centres..... But truthfully who knows what our coach will do if in fact it's true.
But hey wishfull thinking .... maybe it's a smokescreen maybe Lafai is all good and Aitken's out and Lomax is in

getsmarty

Immortal
huntb--1gp_6740.jpg

DRAGONS

Hunt knows combination with Norman must improve
Author
Joel Gould NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Wed 27 Mar 2019, 09:01 AM
gouldjoe-head.png

Former Broncos playmaker Ben Hunt has outlined the difficulties of adjusting to a new halves combination with Corey Norman at the Dragons and conceded the partnership can be "a lot better".

As the Dragons prepare to face Brisbane on Thursday, the club's new-look spine of Hunt and Norman in the halves and Gareth Widdop at fullback is under pressure after failing to click in losses to the Cowboys and Rabbitohs.

Hunt is hoping for a change of fortune as he prepares to return to Suncorp Stadium for the first time since the Dragons thrashed Brisbane 48-18 in last year’s elimination semi-final.

"It is coming along OK. Obviously it can still be a lot better," Hunt said after the Dragons arrived in Brisbane on Tuesday.

"We've had patches in games where we were really good at working together, and different times where we fell away a bit and didn't stick to the game plan.

"They are things that we have to fix up. We are working every day at training to sort each other's game out and get a feel for each other. I think we will only get better."

hunt_rc1_0197.jpg

Dragons halfback Ben Hunt. :copyright:Robb Cox/NRL Photos
Last year Hunt won the race to the Maroons' No.7 jersey in game one of the State of Origin series. He often said that having Widdop at five-eighth was a perfect complement to his game.

He conceded adjusting to the change in the halves dynamic had been a challenge.

"It is pretty difficult, especially when you put Gaz [Widdop] in the mix as well. You've got the three of us all trying to create," he said.

"You've got to work out the best time to inject yourself and the best time to step back and let the other players do that as well. You've just got to find the right balance."

While Widdop is in the custodian's role, Hunt was adamant he could still be a match-winner at the back.

"He's a weapon wherever he is in the team," Hunt said.

"I've said many times that he is one of the best players I’ve played with. Whether it is six or one he is going to do a great job for us."

Broncos forward Alex Glenn said on Tuesday that Hunt thrived on games against his old club and would be seeking "bragging rights".

normanc-190321083.jpg

Dragons five-eighth Corey Norman. :copyright:Grant Trouville/NRL Photos
It is two wins from two so far for Hunt who starred in the round one win over Brisbane last year and in the 2018 elimination semi.

"I don’t mind having bragging rights against some of my mates that I've played a lot of footy with," he said.

"I really enjoy it. I'm coming up against Alex on my edge and he's been a great friend of mind for a long time."

Hunt said it was "massive" on a personal note to return to Suncorp Stadium.

"I played my first game down there [at Kogarah] against the Broncos last year and it wasn’t as emotional as coming back to Suncorp," he said.

"You've got all the old fans up here and the stadium I played so long at. You are sitting in the away dressing room and that is the strangest feeling to start with and then you run out on the opposite side of the field. It is a whirlwind of emotions that is for sure."

Hunt noted the change of style the Broncos were playing with under Anthony Seibold while expressing his surprise at the exit of former coach Wayne Bennett.

"It was a bit of a shock really. I thought with Wayne coming home [in 2015] he would finish his career there and ride off into the sunset but it all got a bit crazy there and dragged out," he said.

"Talking to some of my [former] team-mates they were happy when it was all sorted out.

"I think anyone that has watched the first two rounds knows they are playing a different style of footy to last year. They are very creative with their attack and really showed what they can do against the Cowboys. It is going to be an explosive game."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/03/27/hunt-knows-combination-with-norman-must-improve/

getsmarty

Immortal
Tariq warns little bro' Korbin to stay cool against ex-teammates
Author
Alicia Newton NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Tue 26 Mar 2019, 08:01 PM
newtonalicia-head.png

St George Illawarra enforcer Tariq Sims knows first-hand the painful wait of serving a suspension to start the season but has warned younger brother Korbin not to get ahead of himself in his first game back against his old club Brisbane on Thursday night.

Tariq served two separate five-game suspensions to start the 2015 and 2016 seasons for shoulder charges during his stint at Newcastle but has enjoyed a cleaner record in recent years.

Korbin's lifting tackle on Blake Lawrie in last year's finals clash when he was playing for the Broncos against his new club cost him two weeks on the sidelines, with the suspension rolling over to the 2019 season.

Sims played 44 games in two season with the Broncos and ironically his return will be against his former teammates.

"He played all the trial matches, played strong and then had to cool his heels for two weeks," Tariq said of Korbin.

"Unfortunately I had two years in a row where I was suspended and it wasn't a great time for me. It's how you treat that time off. It can either be a punishment or a blessing.

simst-19032198.jpg

Dragons backrower Tariq Sims. :copyright:Grant Trouville/NRL Photos
"It's not ideal but you can look at it two ways. You can look at it as a punishment or you can look at it as a bit of motivation to change your ways, change your techniques. It's an extended pre-season."

Korbin has been named on the bench for Thursday's rematch at Suncorp Stadium.

The 27-year-old is a timely addition to the squad with Jack de Belin (stood down) and Tyson Frizell (testicle) missing in the forward pack.

"It's no secret we are down on troops and Korbs' injection with his experience will definitely help," Tariq said.

"When he comes on the field he will be really, really excited but after the warm-up he will have to cool his heels for a bit longer until he gets a call up."

Tariq warned his younger sibling about being too hyped for the occasion.

"The way we are playing we can't afford to give away silly penalties at the moment," he said.

"In this day and age with the calibre of players playing, they will make you pay. Korbin knows that and we don't go out there to give penalties away. We love the way he plays, we love his aggression, Mary wouldn't have brought him here if he didn't think that."

simsk-1gp_7002.jpg

Dragons forward Korbin Sims. :copyright:NRL Photos
The Dragons are looking to replicate a repeat performance of last year's finals result with a backs against the wall mentality after consecutive losses to start the season.

"It's a new year, different circumstances and they're at home," Tariq said.

"We have to go up there and beat them at their own home ground with their crowd behind them. It's not going to be easy and we need to make sure we execute a lot of things as well."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/201...bro-korbin-to-stay-cool-against-ex-teammates/

possm

Coach

jeffdragon

Bench
Would have a better chance if we move Aitken right and play Graham in the centres..... But truthfully who knows what our coach will do if in fact it's true.
But hey wishfull thinking .... maybe it's a smokescreen maybe Lafai is all good and Aitken's out and Lomax is in

Lafai did set up a try and score one last week.
Shame Ravalawa and aiken are fit.

Gareth67

First Grade
Big win coming our way in this match - we have the broncos number after last seasons final , with or without Tyson and Jack . :innocent:

hewi

Bench
Reports that Lafai has a hammy problem, Lomax may get a start.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/01/23/casualty-ward--late-mail-all-the-latest-nrl-injury-news/

Do we move Aitken to left centre to accomodate Lomax or is that too much forward thinking for our coach?

Don’t you get it? Lafai is an intregal part of the match winning, well oiled Dragons machine and as such super coach will do as he did with Aitken last year and play him until he has to come off after 10 minutes, so allowing the remaining two bench players that get game time to play longer minutes. Easy really.

kit66

Bench
This game was the perfect opportunity to restore our 2018 table topping ( for 16 rounds ) spine - the spine that wasn't broken and didn't need fixing - to unleash it once again against the Broncs and embarrass them again.
That finals game last year is one of greatest victories of the last 10 years, so good to watch over and over.
I think with the old spine the boys would be a lot more confident and a lot more likely to win.

Crush

Coach
C'mon Dragons.
Here's hoping we have a big win against the odds and get our season back on track!
It's only round 3 but we need a win to silence the criticism.
Dragons by 14.

Dragons4me

Juniors
C'mon Dragons.
Here's hoping we have a big win against the odds and get our season back on track!
It's only round 3 but we need a win to silence the criticism.
Dragons by 14.

I agree. Dragons for me as well. Big game where everyone (including many on here) will give us no hope.

getsmarty

Immortal
dsc_0077.jpg

TEAM LISTS

24-hour warning: Round 3 v Broncos
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Wed 27 Mar 2019, 07:50 PM

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has amended his squad to 19 ahead of the Dragons' Round 3 clash against the Brisbane Broncos at Suncorp Stadium on Thursday, March 28.

Jonus Pearson and Reece Robson are the two players to drop out of the team – as they have the previous fortnight – 24 hours out from the Dragons' upcoming game.

NRL squad for Round 3 v Brisbane Broncos –

1. Gareth Widdop – sponsored by Dynamic Projects
2. Jordan Pereira – sponsored by Tosich Group
3. Euan Aitken – sponsored by University of Wollongong
4. Tim Lafai – sponsored by Kingsgrove Sports Centre
5. Mikaele Ravalawa – sponsored by SMAI
6. Corey Norman – sponsored by Illawarra Mercury/St George & Sutherland Shire Leader
7. Ben Hunt – sponsored by Paul's Customs and Forwarding Solutions
8. James Graham – sponsored by EFEX
9. Cameron McInnes – sponsored by Floormania
10. Paul Vaughan – sponsored by My Muscle Chef
11. Jacob Host – sponsored by Val Morgan
12. Tariq Sims – sponsored by Stonemasons & Landscapers (since 1970)
13. Blake Lawrie – sponsored by Wollongong Jetski

Interchange:
14. Jeremy Latimore – sponsored by Dincel ConstructionSystem
15. Matt Dufty– sponsored by Professionals Padstow
16. Korbin Sims – sponsored by Stonemasons & Landscapers (since 1970)
17. Luciano Leilua – sponsored by Domus Lighting
18. Zac Lomax – sponsored by Tosich Group
20. Mitch Allgood

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/03/27/24-hour-warning-round-3-v-broncos/

getsmarty

Immortal
Broncos' mission to stop Dragons NRL finals tormentor Tariq Sims
  • Dragons Den
    r869_418_4827_3207_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Crash landing: Tariq Sims. Picture: AAP Image/Dave Hunt
    Brisbane coach Anthony Seibold has challenged his pack to stand up to St George Illawarra back-rower Tariq Sims in Thursday night's NRL clash.

Rampaging NSW forward Sims tore the Broncos apart last time they met in the 2018 elimination final, inspiring a 48-18 trashing at Suncorp Stadium with a quick-fire hat-trickof tries.

Seibold said he had made changes to ensure their edge defence was more aggressive since taking over the reins from Wayne Bennett.

But he said it was up to the Broncos forwards to lead the way and ensure history doesn't repeat.

"Tariq is a real weapon for them on our right edge. He was outstanding in that semi-final performance no doubt," Seibold said.

"We have made some changes to how we defend. We would like to think we are a lot more aggressive on the edges now. But it's one thing looking at the video and making changes and then going out under the bright lights of Suncorp Stadium and doing it.

"We can't just dip the toe in. We have to dive all the way in and that starts with our forward pack - they have a big job handling Tariq."

Brisbane are buzzing from a Tevita Pangai-inspired 29-10 win over North Queensland. But Seibold was wary of the Saints who are desperate for a result after starting the season with two losses.

"It's a big challenge against the Dragons. They have had a successful time coming up to Brisbane in the past," he said.

"We have a six day turnaround so we have not had time to dwell on the Cowboys performance. We know what weapons the Dragons are going to bring."

READ MORE: Latimore backs Graham as Dragons prepare for Broncos clash

Seibold expected the Dragons' much criticised new spine of Ben Hunt and Corey Norman in the halves and fullback Gareth Widdop to click - and again put the onus on his forwards to make sure it didn't happen.

"They are the key ball players and we need to put them under pressure but unless we win the middle of the park they are going to have time and space; we need to win the middle third of the field," he said. Meanwhile, coach Paul McGregor said he has no plans to change the new-look spine after two consecutive losses.

"We will make it work," he said. AAP

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...gons-nrl-finals-tormentor-tariq-sims/?cs=3713