What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 6 vs Manly

Dragonsamy

Bench
Since your on ground Samy..why dont you practice your Ben Hunt chip and chase in front of an empty stadium and score a runaway try. ;)
And if you can just get behind the game day electronic message board and just before we run out get a sign up that says the majority of St George supporters are disappointed that Mary has been extended.

I like my job lol

getsmarty

Immortal
garrickr-190330_gt_98.jpg

SEA EAGLES

Garrick excited to get back to 'Gong and show Dragons he can play
Author
Margie McDonald Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Sat 20 Apr 2019, 07:01 AM
mcdonaldmargie-head.png

It will get a little personal for Manly's Reuben Garrick when he re-enters St George Illawarra territory on Saturday night for the round-six clash.

Garrick felt he gave good service to the Dragons over the past two season (2017-18) in Canterbury Cup with 27 appearances and 13 tries.

But that seemed to count for nothing as he was overlooked for a spot in the 30-strong NRL squad for 2019.

So he packed up the car and headed north, initially on a verbal agreement of a three-year deal. But with the change in head coaches at Manly in the off-season, Garrick was offered just a one-year contract.

He is hoping the club sees his value. He can play centre or wing. On the right edge for Manly he has played all five NRL games, scored two tries and made 16 tackle-breaks, a couple of try assists and line breaks.

The 21-year-old is also hoping Dragons officials will see on Saturday what could have been.

"I guess I've got a point to prove," Garrick told NRL.com. "I'm keen to get back there – it's my local ground so I should have a lot of friends and family turning up."

1gp_1962-copy.jpg

Reuben Garrick takes on Manly for the Dragons in 2017. :copyright:Gregg Porteous/NRL Photos
He's happy he is living proof that NRL dreams can happen.

"A hundred per cent. I feel like I'm playing with confidence. I'm really excited to get down there and show the Dragons what I'm up to.

"It's definitely extra motivation for me this weekend.

"I won't get too enthralled with it either. I've put my head down and been working hard at training to make sure I play my role."

The key to settling into the Sea Eagles' right flank so easily is due to his teammates, he says.

"I'm playing on the edge with Daly Cherry-Evans who is an outstanding guy as well as footballer. He's kept me grounded and makes my job so much easier playing outside a half like that.

"I've also got Curtis Sironen on the edge and Moses [Suli] in the centres. So we have a strong edge. I'm very confident in them and I hope they're confident in me."

That's a given the way Garrick turned around and from a dead start, ran down Kalyn Ponga over 70 metres in the 26-18 win over Newcastle last week.

"I did a bit of track and athletics in school. I was a bit of an all-rounder. I did it because I preferred it to schoolwork," Garrick said.

"Speed, I guess, has always been one of my assets. I did some great sessions with Clayton [Kearney] our speed coach here in the pre-season and I've found him outstanding.

Dragons v Sea Eagles - Round 6

"He's been very good for me. I've enjoyed his speed weights program in the gym as well as the stuff we do outside. I feel fit, strong and healthy."

Any words of encouragement from coach Des Hasler?

"Not really. I think that's a good thing isn't it? Either way I'm really loving my time with him here though."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/04/20...et-back-to-gong-and-show-dragons-he-can-play/

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons v Sea Eagles: Vaughan to play; Sipley to start
Author
NRL.com
Timestamp
Fri 19 Apr 2019, 07:35 PM

After two golden-point wins the Dragons let loose against the Bulldogs last weekend registering their highest score for 2019 with a 40-4 win.

The convincing seven tries to one victory also pushed the Dragons back into the top-eight leapfrogging the Warriors and Sharks to get there.

Full of confidence and flair they now they face another NRL club enjoying three wins on the trot in the Manly Sea Eagles.

And one of the hardest workers in Des Hasler's team is lock Jake Trbojevic, who celebrates his 100th NRL game. If Manly could turn on the fireworks for Daly Cherry-Evans in his 200th last weeked, Trbojevic would be hopeful of a similar favour.

Match: Dragons v Sea Eagles

Round 6 - Saturday 20th April

7:35pm

Home Team

Dragons

8th Position

Away Team

Sea Eagles

6th Position

Venue: WIN Stadium

Match broadcasters:

• Foxtel
  • LIVE PASS
Buy Tickets
The Rundown
Team news
Dragons: Paul Vaughan is expected to play despite leaving the field with an ankle injury last week. The Dragons have scored 119 points in three successive wins against the Sea Eagles. Lachlan Timm and Jonus Pearson were the two players omitted 24 hours out from kick-off.

Sea Eagles: Toafaoa Sipley (No.17) has been named to replace the suspended Addin Fonua-Blake after he failed at the NRL judiciary for a dangerous contact charge on Tuesday. Des Hasler has a 6-1 record against Dragons rival Paul McGregor. Sea Eagles lock Jake Trbojevic will play his 100th NRL game. Sam Smith and Trent Hodkinson were the two men left out 24 hours out from game time.

Match: Dragons v Sea Eagles

Round 6 - Saturday 20th April

7:35pm

Home Team

Dragons

Away Team

Sea Eagles

Venue:WIN Stadium

Team Lists
Backs
  • Fullback for Dragons is number 1 Matthew Dufty

Fullback for Sea Eagles is number 1 Brendan Elliot
  • Winger for Dragons is number 2 Jordan Pereira

Winger for Sea Eagles is number 2 Jorge Taufua
  • Centre for Dragons is number 3 Euan Aitken

Centre for Sea Eagles is number 3 Moses Suli
  • Centre for Dragons is number 4 Timoteo Lafai

Centre for Sea Eagles is number 4 Brad Parker
  • Winger for Dragons is number 5 Mikaele Ravalawa

Winger for Sea Eagles is number 5 Reuben Garrick
  • Five-Eighth for Dragons is number 6 Corey Norman

Five-Eighth for Sea Eagles is number 6 Kane Elgey
  • Halfback for Dragons is number 7 Ben Hunt

Halfback for Sea Eagles is number 7 Daly Cherry-Evans
Forwards
  • Prop for Dragons is number 8 James Graham
    8 17

Prop for Sea Eagles is number 17 Toafofoa Sipley
  • Hooker for Dragons is number 9 Cameron McInnes

Hooker for Sea Eagles is number 9 Apisai Koroisau
  • Prop for Dragons is number 10 Paul Vaughan

Prop for Sea Eagles is number 10 Martin Taupau
  • 2nd Row for Dragons is number 11 Tyson Frizell

2nd Row for Sea Eagles is number 11 Joel Thompson
  • 2nd Row for Dragons is number 12 Tariq Sims

2nd Row for Sea Eagles is number 12 Curtis Sironen
  • Lock for Dragons is number 13 Blake Lawrie

Lock for Sea Eagles is number 13 Jake Trbojevic
Interchange
  • Interchange for Dragons is number 14 Jeremy Latimore

Interchange for Sea Eagles is number 14 Manase Fainu
  • Interchange for Dragons is number 15 Zac Lomax

Interchange for Sea Eagles is number 15 Jack Gosiewski
  • Interchange for Dragons is number 16 Jacob Host

Interchange for Sea Eagles is number 16 Corey Waddell
  • Interchange for Dragons is number 17 Luciano Leilua
    17 20

Interchange for Sea Eagles is number 20 Morgan Boyle
Reserves
  • Reserve for Dragons is number 18 Mitchell Allgood

Reserve for Sea Eagles is number 18 Kelepi Tanginoa
  • Reserve for Dragons is number 19 Jai Field
    19 23

Reserve for Sea Eagles is number 23 Lachlan Croker
Dragons Ins
  • Jai Field
  • Mitchell Allgood
Ins
Sea Eagles Ins
  • Kelepi Tanginoa
  • Lachlan Croker
  • Morgan Boyle
Dragons Outs

Outs
Sea Eagles Ins
  • Addin Fonua-Blake
Key match-up
Ben Hunt is unlikely to regain the Queensland halfback jersey this year but his two line-break assists, three try assists and scoring two four-pointers himself against the Bulldogs, makes his duel with incumbent Maroons No.7 Cherry-Evans one to savour. The Manly skipper ran 145 metres as he terrorised the Knights defensive line with a line break and three tackle busts.

For the Dragons to win
Pull together the same team effort at Kogarah last week and let it loose in Wollongong this week, when the home crowd again has your back. With the glue in the Hunt-Norman partnership starting to set firm and hard, the Sea Eagles forwards will have their heads spinning trying to keep up with which way the pair will run, pass or kick.

For the Sea Eagles to win
Five-eighth Kane Elgey reproducing the form he showed against the Knights in both attack and defence only frees up Cherry-Evans to do more knowing that his five-eighth is linking nicely with the Sea Eagles backs. And Tom Trbojevic stand-in Brendan Elliott held his own in kick-return metres and under the high ball. His confidence grows as he works well with his other back-three members - wingers Jorge Taufua and Reuben Garrick.

Brett Kimmorley says
Dessie has the Brookvale faithful back on board. The big pack of forwards are ripping in and playing tough. They are finding different ways of spoiling the opposition attack and coming up with victories. For the Dragons, Paul Vaughan was in superb form last weekend. If Ben Hunt can repeat his performance of last weekend that will also be a huge help. Dragons by 8

Dragons Stat Attack
The Dragons lead the NRL in kick metres (3,273) and are second in total kicks (115) to Melbourne (116). They are fourth in tackles breaks (180) and fifth in line breaks (21).

Sea Eagles Stat Attack
Daly Cherry-Evans is the NRL's top point-scorer after five rounds (45). Jake Trbojevic led by example as usual last week with a team-high 45 tackles against Newcastle and 132 run metres.

And another thing ...
The work being done by starting No.9 Api Koroisau and his bench replacement Manase Fainu must be pleasing coach Des Hasler. The pair of hookers are nimble and energetic as they manoeuvre around tired forwards in the defensive line. Koroisau made a line break against the Knights, while Fainu had four tackle breaks against the Rabbitohs the previous week.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/04/16/dragons-v-sea-eagles-round-6-preview/

getsmarty

Immortal
Saturday Selection: St George Illawarra Dragons v Manly Sea Eagles Round 5 preview, stats, team lists
Saturday Selection
mark_st_john.jpg

c653fa9a402c21915d757e11ccd6c317

Daly Cherry-Evans’ Sea Eagles have historically struggled at WIN Stadium.Source: Getty Images
Des Hasler’s Sea Eagles might be in hot form, but the history books are against them going into their Round 6 clash with the Dragons in Wollongong.
The Dragons have dominated the Sea Eagles at WIN Stadium with six straight wins and have won seven of eight games between the two sides overall at the venue.

Furthermore, five of the Dragons past six wins in Wollongong have been by 18 or more points.

727124_640x360_large_20190418104547.jpg

Red V extend McGregor's stay

0:28
The Dragons are also fast starters having scored the first try in all eight games against Manly at Wollongong.

Manly has struggled in attack in Wollongong, scoring eight or less points in four of the past six games at WIN Stadium, but they come into the clash in good attacking form.

Both the Dragons and the Sea Eagles are in the top five this season for points scored per game (Manly 21.8 & Dragons 21.6) and linebreaks per game (Manly 5.2 & Dragons 4.6).

Both teams are fast starters being in the top two for points scored in the opening 20 minutes of games this season. The Sea Eagles have scored 40 points and the Dragons have scored 34 points in this period.

However, Manly drops off in the 20 minutes before halftime, scoring just 10 points in that

period, the fewest of any team.

The Dragons are strong finishers, scoring 37 points in the final 20 minutes of games, equal

second most.

However the Sea Eagles have conceded just 14 points through the first five games

in the same time, which is the second fewest (eight - Canberra).

The Dragons will be buoyed by the club’s decision to grant coach Paul McGregor a contract extension through to the end of the 2021 season.

Stability brings out the best in players and the Dragons will want to continue their strong form over the last month with a fourth consecutive victory for McGregor.

“To have a good focus and purpose for the next two seasons is really comforting,” McGregor said.

“The enjoyment I get out of coaching this proud club is something I look forward to every day.

“There is still a real appreciation of what 2019 is to bring too. My players are always my first priority and their needs come before anything else.”

However McGregor comes up against an old nemesis in Des Hasler, who also has the Sea Eagles firing in the search for four straight victories.

It all sets the stage for a mouth-watering clash on Saturday night.

St George Illawarra Dragons v Manly Sea Eagles at WIN Stadium (7.35pm)

Dragons: 1. Matthew Dufty 2. Jordan Pereira 3. Euan Aitken 4. Timoteo Lafai 5. Mikaele Ravalawa 6. Corey Norman 7. Ben Hunt 8. James Graham 9. Cameron McInnes 10. Paul Vaughan 11. Tyson Frizell 12. Tariq Sims 13. Blake Lawrie 14. Jeremy Latimore 15. Zac Lomax 16. Jacob Host 17. Luciano Leilua 18. Mitchell Allgood 19. Jai Field 20. Lachlan Timm 21. Jonus Pearson

Sea Eagles: 1. Brendan Elliott 2. Jorge Taufua 3. Moses Suli 4. Brad Parker 5. Reuben Garrick 6. Kane Elgey 7. Daly Cherry-Evans 8. Addin Fonua-Blake 9. Apisai Koroisau 10. Martin Taupau 11. Joel Thompson 12. Curtis Sironen 13. Jake Trbojevic 14. Manase Fainu 15. Jack Gosiewski 16. Corey Waddell 17. Toafofoa Sipley 18. Kelepi Tanginoa 19. Sam Smith Croker 20. Morgan Boyle 21. Trent Hodkinson.

KEY STATS, courtesy of the Fox Sports lab

Dragons

— The Dragons are ranked first in tackle busts (29.2 per game), third in metres (1479 per game) while having the second best completion rate (79.5%).

— Corey Norman has the second most try assists (seven, behind Keary’s 10) and equal second most linebreak assists this season (seven, behind Clint Gutherson’s eight).

— Cameron McInnes has the most dummy half run metres (262) and has made the second most tackles (220).

Sea Eagles

— Manly has scored eight tries through the centre of the field this season, the most of any team. Four of Manly’s 18 tries have come from when starting its set inside their own half, the

most of any team.

— Jorge Taufua has scored six tries in seven games for Manly against the Dragons, the equal most by a Sea Eagles player against the merged side (Brett Stewart also has six from his 15 games).

— Des Hasler has won 11 of the past 12 games coached against the Dragons since 2012. This is in stark contrast to how he started his coaching career against the Dragons, winning just four of his opening 15 games between 2004-11.

HEAD TO HEAD

27 played, Dragons 18, Sea Eagles 9

THE FORM GUIDE

Dragons (most recent games first)

40-4 WON v Bulldogs (home)

13-12 WON v Knights (away)

25-24 WON v Broncos (away)

Sea Eagles (most recent games first)

26-18 WON v Knights (away)

13-12 WON v Rabbitohs (away)

46-12 WON v Warriors (home)

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/sa...s/news-story/adfdfd2545a92898c5f950c4652fcd0f

kit66

Bench
Even though we've played well against Manly recently and racked up some big scores the boys need to take their opposition very seriously tonight and be wary of both Elgey and DCE.
I think we'll win but it may be a closer affair this time around.

Saints by 12

Gareth67

First Grade
This will be no walk over like last weeks match , I am expecting the the Sea Eagles to come out with all guns blazing tonight .

It has been quite some time since they have taken the two competition points back to Brookie from down south and I believe that Des Hazler will have them pumped for this match .

Here’s hoping that the Dragons don’t leave last weeks form behind them , but realize that they will have a real fight on their hands to claim the win . Dragons by 4 :innocent:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Dragons v Sea Eagles preview
Robert Crosby | April 18 2019 10:44PM

https://leagueunlimited.com/news/33157-dragons-v-sea-eagles-preview/

In-form rivals eye off fourth straight win

Putting aside intense scrutiny surrounding players on and off the field to record three consecutive wins against Brisbane, Newcastle and Canterbury, the St George Illawarra Dragons will be hoping to add the Manly Sea Eagles to their growing list of scalps on Saturday evening.

Posting an emphatic 40-4 demolition of the Bulldogs at Kogarah last Sunday, the Dragons will head to Wollongong for the first time this season eager to maintain a strong record at the venue that has seen the joint venture record 12 wins from 17 appearances since 2015.

Winning their past three clashes against Manly by margins of at least 24 points, coach Paul McGregor will be banking on his side maintaining possession to come away with two competition points - as seen by last week's 85 per cent completion rate - while ensuring the Sea Eagles aren't allowed to keep up with the clock during the opening exchanges.

Unchanged from the side that downed Canterbury, former Parramatta prop Mitchell Allgood is on stand-by for Paul Vaughan should the New South Wales representative fail to recover from an ankle issue sustained in the second half last Sunday.

Blowing the Knights off the park during the opening quarter last Saturday to run out 26-18 winners in Newcastle, the Manly Sea Eagles will be looking to continue an unexpected start to the year by winning their first match in Wollongong since 2003.

Enduring a wretched run at WIN Stadium losing their past six matches by an average of 23 points, coach Des Hasler will be aiming to record only his second win at the venue across 15 seasons as a first grade coach.

Keeping the faith with the same squad that defeated Newcastle last week, Addin Fonua-Blake will miss the next fortnight after being found guilty of a careless high tackle charge at the judiciary despite being named on Tuesday. With the Tongan and New Zealand international sidelined, Kelepi Tanginoa looms as his likely replacement, however former Titan Morgan Boyle could make his club debut after being included on the extended bench.

Endearing himself to the Manly faithful as the heart and soul of the club alongside younger brother Tom, representative forward Jake Trbojevic will play his 100th NRL game on Saturday having progressed through the lower grades before debuting as a teenager in the final round of 2013.

Last meeting: Round 15 2018 - Dragons 32 Sea Eagles 8

Who to watch: Returning to the scene of the foot injury that saw him miss the run to the finals last year, Dragons prop Paul Vaughan has proven to be a quiet achiever over the opening rounds. Averaging over 150 metres and 30 tackles per game, the 27-year-old New South Wales representative has been among the joint venture's best performers, earning eight Dally M votes to stand as the highest-ranked forward and third overall in the entire league. Suffering a minor ankle concern in the win over Canterbury last Sunday, look for Vaughan to show no signs of discomfort and continue his strong start to 2019 with a powerhouse performance at home.

As one of only two current Manly first graders to play under Des Hasler at the start of the decade, Daly Cherry-Evans has thrived under the guidance of the returning premiership winning coach. Playing his 200th NRL game against Newcastle last Saturday, the 30-year-old halfback has played an instrumental role in defying pre-season expectations to place the Sea Eagles in the top eight for the first time in twelve months. Showing plenty of poise as the side's preferred goal kicker - missing just four shots all season - along with nailing a match-winning field goal in extra time a fortnight ago, Cherry-Evans will be out to prove his class on Saturday evening in a fierce duel opposite fellow Queensland playmaker Ben Hunt.

The favourite: Coming off a dominant win and boasting strong recent form in Wollongong, the Dragons are expected to prove too much for the Sea Eagles to handle.

My tip: Widely expected to run last in 2019, the Sea Eagles have thrived over the early rounds and look set to record four straight wins for the first time since mid-2017. Sea Eagles by 12.

SnowDragon

Juniors
Jake Trobobovich just on half time interview... looks really nervous!
Not sure if that’s good or bad?

Dominate the pack and the weaknesses are there... big game for Tariq in keeping DCE quiet :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL late mail: Round 6 v Sea Eagles
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Sat 20 Apr 2019, 06:39 PM

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has finalised his 17 for the Dragons' Round 6 clash against the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles at WIN Stadium, Wollongong on Saturday, April 20.

Mitch Allgood and Jai Field round out the players omitted from the squad, with Lachlan Timm and Jonus Pearson the two players who dropped out of the initial squad named on Tuesday.

NRL squad for Round 6 v Sea Eagles –

1. Matt Dufty – sponsored by Dynamic Projects
2. Jordan Pereira – sponsored by SMAI
3. Euan Aitken – sponsored by University of Wollongong
4, Tim Lafai – sponsored by Kingsgrove Sports Centre
5. Mikaele Ravalawa – sponsored by Professionals Padstow
6. Corey Norman – sponsored by Illawarra Mercury/St George & Sutherland Shire Leader
7. Ben Hunt – sponsored by Paul's Customs and Forwarding Solutions
8. James Graham (c) – sponsored by EFEX
9. Cameron McInnes (c) – sponsored by Floormania
10. Paul Vaughan – sponsored by My Muscle Chef
11. Tyson Frizell (c) – sponsored by Val Morgan
12. Tariq Sims – sponsored by Stonemasons & Landscapers (since 1970)
13. Blake Lawrie – sponsored by Wollongong Jetski

Interchange:
14. Jeremy Latimore – sponsored by Dincel Construction System
15. Zac Lomax – sponsored by Tosich Group
16. Jacob Host – sponsored by Stonemasons & Landscapers (since 1970)
17. Luciano Leilua – sponsored by Domus Lighting

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/04/20/nrl-late-mail-round-6-v-sea-eagles/

j0nesy

Bench
I think it’s going to be a cracking game tonight. Manly look fired up. We’re playing good footy too. If our forwards are up for it we should win in a tight one. I reckon there will only be a try in it.

Latest posts