What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 7 v Knights

Flashstep

Juniors
Knights played really well in the first half but teams need to put the points on us if they want to win, they fell apart in the 2nd half. So much so that we really poor all game but managed to steal the win thanks to Cleary.

We really need to be better at building pressure as well I think, of course nowadays trying to force repeat sets could easily lead to an opposing teams 7 tackle sets or a short drop out to get the ball back but our 5th tackle options have been poor. Obviously we can’t score every attacking set so building pressure seems to be the next best thing if you ask me.

Also Luai is in desperate need of some confidence, hope he bounces back soon.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Win the ones you aren't meant to. All the best sides do. Even at 15-14 I thought we had the game.

Luke had a shocker in the second half. We lacked composure but it seemed to start with him everytime. Cleary excellent kicking tonight. Deserves the 6 million dally m points they will award him.

Newy line speed was ridiculous. Really put us off our game. In another game we probably get more penalties/set restarts

Also lay all over us at the play the ball too. Lots of Newcastle spoiling and wrestling going on.

How Nathan didn't get a penalty for being clipped late and high I'll never know.

WestyLife

First Grade
Yep absolute shocker that one and no need for it we weren’t really under pressure at that point. Anyway I can live with him being out of funk in attack cause I think he can figure that out eventually but his discipline and when he has to do the 5th tackle play close to the line he needs to be much better, twice tonight he was in that position and it ends with the knights running away 20-30 metres the other way off a shit pass or kick.

Nail on the head. If it was just some attacking fluency there'd be no worry since everyone expected a bit of clunkiness with Kikau gone. There seems to be an entire attitude issue to go with it though. Too many errors and penalties at the moment and the defence tonight was especially passive.

snickers007

Juniors
I only just finished watching the game on delay, and the one thing that stood out to me was that the Knights were so much more willing to put their body on the line when the ball hit the ground.

Countless times our passes went down and our players stood back and looked at each other while the Knights got down and dirty to take the ball. Completely out enthused us.

Aside from Edwards, Kenny, Leniu and Salmon I thought we played with a severe lack of effort.

Happy to get the win, very unhappy with how we got it.

Hope Marto is OK.

Iamback

Coach
Nathan wasn’t bad I just didn’t agree with some of the options he took. Luai was shocking in the first half, a little better in the second but not By much, he hasn’t come up with a big play all year and on top of that he still had far to many dumb penalties in his game. He’s lucky we have no one pushing him and that ivan loves him cause all he’s been doing is run sideways and give away penalties.

Take that Luai knock on. A pass from Cleary hits the ground he goes to pick it up.
Next attacking set Yeo goes left hits the ground not sure what a 6 can do there.
Hence why it is as a team that the attack is not working

Even that bad pass that Knights picked up. Crichton should of dived on the ball

Iamback

Coach
I only just finished watching the game on delay, and the one thing that stood out to me was that the Knights were so much more willing to put their body on the line when the ball hit the ground.

Countless times our passes went down and our players stood back and looked at each other while the Knights got down and dirty to take the ball. Completely out enthused us.

Aside from Edwards, Kenny, Leniu and Salmon I thought we played with a severe lack of effort.

Happy to get the win, very unhappy with how we got it.

Hope Marto is OK.

Exactly how I saw it. Lack of energy showed out there

betcats

Referee
Take that Luai knock on. A pass from Cleary hits the ground he goes to pick it up.
Next attacking set Yeo goes left hits the ground not sure what a 6 can do there.
Hence why it is as a team that the attack is not working

Even that bad pass that Knights picked up. Crichton should of dived on the ball

That pass should’ve never been thrown by Luai, last tackle he should’ve come up with almost anything but a ridiculous lobbed pass across the middle, even if it lands on crichtons chest there was not much on. Kicking the ball 15m dead would’ve been a better play.

kinghippo

Juniors
I was at the game and have to say the atmosphere was great.
Hats off to the Newcastle crowd they were great, they even chanted “Newcastle Newcastle” at the end of the game as a sign of respect to their team.
Heaps of Panthers fans were at the game.
Our performance wasn’t amazing but getting a close win is always great.
The one negative that was very obvious was the field was an absolute mess. They had the soccer on the night before and large patches of the field were churned up before kick off.
I think both teams are very lucky not to have some injuries.

Iamback

Coach
That pass should’ve never been thrown by Luai, last tackle he should’ve come up with almost anything but a ridiculous lobbed pass across the middle, even if it lands on crichtons chest there was not much on. Kicking the ball 15m dead would’ve been a better play.

Cleary isn't grubbering either. It is like they are told not to give up the 7 tackles as such do stupid things.

GongPanther

Referee
Yessssss we can play off and still win .The difference from the first 30 to the rest of the game is simple.We run straight instead of sideways.That is panther ball
Leota is a beast everytime he runs he bends the line
Salmon cops heaps on here but he also straightened the attack and played well.These are the games that make teams.
Well played boys up the panthers
[thumbs up]

Kilkenny

Coach
I was at the game and have to say the atmosphere was great.
Hats off to the Newcastle crowd they were great, they even chanted “Newcastle Newcastle” at the end of the game as a sign of respect to their team.
Heaps of Panthers fans were at the game.
Our performance wasn’t amazing but getting a close win is always great.
The one negative that was very obvious was the field was an absolute mess. They had the soccer on the night before and large patches of the field were churned up before kick off.
I think both teams are very lucky not to have some injuries.
We had really good support at the game and our players after game were tremendous. We hung around for 25 minutes after game was over and players were still interacting with our fans. Credit to Newcastle, they gave there all and really didn’t deserve to lose.

betcats

Referee
Cleary isn't grubbering either. It is like they are told not to give up the 7 tackles as such do stupid things.

They aren’t told not to grubber that’s just pulled out of nowhere. Soni has been doing it every week he’s been played including tonight, Luai tried a grubber tonight just executed it terribly and cost us 20m. Cleary is doing his job and coming up with great plays even when the attack is not good, Luai is not and he’s giving away penalties regularly when we are not under pressure. He isn’t the only one Kenny and Moses are repeat offenders in that area but they also play in the middle and make a lot more tackles.

GongPanther

Referee
Ugly but I'll take it.
[thumbs up] Won't be the last game we have to fight tooth and nail for. As someone mentioned before on the main game thread, it's about time we won by a point.

And playing in those games probably got us over the line, and will do us good down the track when we meet the other big names stating with Souths next Thursday.

GongPanther

Referee
Apologies if u come across.. like a prick.

Just happy to see players that deserve to do well killing it.

It's why I'd back Kenny in.

He's not a api.. he's probably not a starting 9... but is he in our best 17.... your damn right he is.

What he does for us no one else can.
I reckon he would make a handy Ruby prop.