What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 7 v Knights

Kilkenny

Coach
And while he doesn’t seem to have the guile to shimmy through the line, Turuva hits the defenders with such pace that he inevitably wins the contact and gets a quick play the ball.

I think he has been excellent. Would love to see Tago pass the ball to him more often.
It will come. We’re way over reacting. Tago has been really good thus far in my opinion, maybe he needs to work on setting up his winger more, I don’t know but defensively and offensively he has been terrific in my opinion.

There has been a lot of nonsense written about where we are at thus far. We’re missing Api and Viliame that was always going to be the case, injuries to JFH and Liam Martin not ideal, short pre season we havent quite clicked into gear and despite everything unless I’m reading things wrong we sit just behind the Broncos in 2nd place.

The Knights were really good in that first half on Saturday night, their crowd were amazing, really lifted them and yet we somehow found our way back into the game. The Newcastle crowd, crowd chants is pretty daunting and surely must uplift there players. I think we did extremely well to claw our way back despite being a little off.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
And while he doesn’t seem to have the guile to shimmy through the line, Turuva hits the defenders with such pace that he inevitably wins the contact and gets a quick play the ball.

I think he has been excellent. Would love to see Tago pass the ball to him more often.
The simplest quick little fix I'd like to see is Turuva and Tago swapping in a few attacking situations.

Kilkenny

Coach
It is worth watching the Graham Annesley weekly briefing for this week when he tries to explain away the non call against Nathan Cleary being taken out late. It is frankly bizarre. Everything he says suggests it should have resulted in further punishment but he dances around the issue by inferring somehow we don’t want to see games decided by such issues. Honestly, watch it, it is bizarre.

kinghippo

Juniors
It is worth watching the Graham Annesley weekly briefing for this week when he tries to explain away the non call against Nathan Cleary being taken out late. It is frankly bizarre. Everything he says suggests it should have resulted in further punishment but he dances around the issue by inferring somehow we don’t want to see games decided by such issues. Honestly, watch it, it is bizarre.
At least there is some coverage of the incident, not a single news team mentioned it, all the focus has been on luai’s haircut.
In today’s climate it’s at least ten in the bin to hit a kicker late, it was bizarre that it got brushed off.

Kilkenny

Coach
At least there is some coverage of the incident, not a single news team mentioned it, all the focus has been on luai’s haircut.
In today’s climate it’s at least ten in the bin to hit a kicker late, it was bizarre that it got brushed off.
No one wants to a game ended in such a way but if you’re going to be consistent it was a penalty and a sin bin. The fact the on field official and bunker didn’t rule on it was appalling only cemented the officials mindset given Peter Gough was only too quick to penalise and sin bin Spencer Lenui. It was home town decisions on both counts. Both of which were hugely wrong and could have determined the outcome.

No one wants to a game ended in such a way but if you’re going to be consistent it was a penalty and a sin bin. The fact the on field official and bunker didn’t rule on it was appalling only cemented the officials mindset given Peter Gough was only too quick to penalise and sin bin Spencer Lenui. It was home town decisions on both counts. Both of which were hugely wrong and could have determined the outcome.
I think the last one wasn’t so much a home town decision as just a cowardly one. Gough is a terrible referee; when he awarded Sorro’s try at the end of the first half you could hear him say something like ‘I couldn’t see it’; he refs what he thinks happened (the try and the sun-binning both examples), while when the going gets tough he chickens out. The non-penalising of Jackson Hastings when he went to block Cleary’s first FG attempt (well done to @age.s for pointing it out earlier) was one of the worst I’ve seen.

Kilkenny

Coach
I think the last one wasn’t so much a home town decision as just a cowardly one. Gough is a terrible referee; when he awarded Sorro’s try at the end of the first half you could hear him say something like ‘I couldn’t see it’; he refs what he thinks happened (the try and the sun-binning both examples), while when the going gets tough he chickens out. The non-penalising of Jackson Hastings when he went to block Cleary’s first FG attempt (well done to @age.s for pointing it out earlier) was one of the worst I’ve seen.
The Sorensen no try by the bunker was interesting. I’ve watched it today numerous times in normal speed and slow mo and I thought given the on field decision I didn’t think think there was enough evidence to over turn it. Doesn’t matter much now but I think he got downward pressure.

snickers007

Juniors
Gough is a terrible referee; when he awarded Sorro’s try at the end of the first half you could hear him say something like ‘I couldn’t see it’

The referee doesn't need to see the ball grounded to award a try though - the rulebook explicit states it.

"not seeing the grounding of the ball is not a reason to disallow a try"

It's the key component to the attacking team having the benefit of the doubt in try scoring situations.

Unless he sees a reason to disallow the try, it must be awarded.

Also, let's be real, at full speed that is a try everyday. Not sure you can bag the guy too much when it took the guy in the bunker multiple looks at 1/60th speed to find the tiniest of knock ons.

The referee doesn't need to see the ball grounded to award a try though - the rulebook explicit states it.

"not seeing the grounding of the ball is not a reason to disallow a try"

It's the key component to the attacking team having the benefit of the doubt in try scoring situations.

Unless he sees a reason to disallow the try, it must be awarded.

Also, let's be real, at full speed that is a try everyday. Not sure you can bag the guy too much when it took the guy in the bunker multiple looks at 1/60th speed to find the tiniest of knock ons.
I didn’t know that; thanks for pointing it out.

WestyLife

First Grade

The hit on Cleary wasn't about helping knights it is about not wanting to have a decision like that decide a match.

Kilkenny

Coach
The hit on Cleary wasn't about helping knights it is about not wanting to have a decision like that decide a match.
What’s about the rules, consistency in the application of the rules, those incidents have resulted in penalties and sin bins each and every week thus far in 2023. We can’t pick and choose when to enforce the rules just because it is an unfortunate manner in which to decide the outcome.

Kilkenny

Coach
My take on all that-

Daoen and McLean I can see being a future pairing for us in fg.. daoen offers something we haven't had in a while and that is a tallish winger. He is very hard to tackle and he's very quick.. McLean might jag a game this year I think.

Jenkins I just don't see it.. so many on here rate him. I think he'll be one of those blokes that's probably to good or a very good cup player bit just not good enough for fg. I think if he was in an avg team he'd just look solid at best.

Iongi is a real star.. probs wasn't his best game but he is a handful.

The peach always cops it on here but boy he was good again.. great in his one performance for us in fg this year and been good all year in nsw cup.

Jack cole was good but man he's run and pass selection was poor.. he hogged it a fair bit..few times if he passed we most likely score.. I know he hasn't played much 5/8 this year so can cut him some slack..had a few nice kicks. Not sure he has past falls tbh yet.

Cogger was Good..will do well when cleary is out. He's just solid but he'll do a job.

Liam Henry just did what he does..

Sommerton was good again

Lindsay performed as you would expect..he is an nrl player now forced to bide his time.

Garner haha. Nsw cup all year for him I think.. in a game where we put on 50 he really didn't do much.. I'd have Sorensen at 2nd row over him any time there's injuries etc.

Geyer was ok.. few good offloads.. a few missed tackles. One in the middle which lead to a try from memory. Work in progress but I think he got through the 80.

Falls was good off the bench. Very dangerous in fact but newie had thrown the towel in by that stage.

Decent performance from the boys.
Interesting assessment.

The knights were the bottom placed side so no surprises I guess we out 50 on them.

Again I didn’t think we were particularly convincing even allowing for the score line.

I liked the fact we played McLean in the centre and Cole at 5/8 probably where they need to be playing going forward.

Every time I watch this side, and Flegg & Ball, I‘m thinking who is putting their hand up to replace Spencer and Crichton. Get a better idea at the seasons end I guess.

WestyLife

First Grade
What’s about the rules, consistency in the application of the rules, those incidents have resulted in penalties and sin bins each and every week thus far in 2023. We can’t pick and choose when to enforce the rules just because it is an unfortunate manner in which to decide the outcome.

I'm not defending it. Just correcting the view that it was to help the knights.

Kilkenny

Coach
I'm not defending it. Just correcting the view that it was to help the knights.
As I said in my original post no one wants to see a game decided on such a manner,

At the same time it is hard to fathom how the on field referee was so quick to put our player in the bin for a professional foul which never happened,

You had to be at the ground I guess to understand the pressure of the Knights crowd.