What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 7 v Knights

betcats

Referee
Martie is right. Look at his struggles in Origin.
We stuggle when coming from behind.
Our team is great we can get on the front foot and strangle teams but when we need a plan be we stuggle

I disagree. Like I said in an earlier post I can live with him being out of funk in attack especially when the whole team has looked that way at times this year but their first two tries came off the back of luais dumb plays last night, the penalty and then the dumb pass straight to a Newcastle player. When cleary is not making great decisions or the attacks not working he still kicks well and finds a way to have a positive impact on games like last night. If Luai is not playing well or the attacks not working the least he can do is not shoot us in the foot with his brain farts.

age.s

First Grade
What a luxury we can consider a game like Cleary delivered last night as him being "in a funk."

He was heavily involved in our first try, got two huge repeat sets from our own half at crucial times, varied his general play, defended well and kicked two field goals, one from close to 40 out to win the game, all on a night when his pack was beaten for most of the game. He had a few ordinary moments, but for that to be a 5/10 game or anything approaching what Luai is dishing up atm seems incredible to me.

betcats

Referee
What a luxury we can consider a game like Cleary delivered last night as him being "in a funk."

He was heavily involved in our first try, got two huge repeat sets from our own half at crucial times, varied his general play, defended well and kicked two field goals, one from close to 40 out to win the game, all on a night when his pack was beaten for most of the game. He had a few ordinary moments, but for that to be a 5/10 game or anything approaching what Luai is dishing up atm seems incredible to me.

It was Nath who turned the ball inside for salmon as well, so he was involved in every point we scored.

Black Magik

Juniors
Has Jarome had a hair-pull penalty before last night? He must have had. He has long hair. 😂

They are saying this lost them the game. Not converting tries did that.

Also, no mention on the late hit on Nathan. Not even on report but the ref (whom Penrith paid apparently) was fine sin binning Spencer.

soc123_au

Staff member
I agree with those saying Luai has been rubbish. In 7 games this year his biggest positive contribution is having flowing locks. In saying that I'll back him to turn it around. The left side has been pretty poor in general.

betcats

Referee
Has Jarome had a hair-pull penalty before last night? He must have had. He has long hair. 😂

They are saying this lost them the game. Not converting tries did that.

Also, no mention on the late hit on Nathan. Not even on report but the ref (whom Penrith paid apparently) was fine sin binning Spencer.

Not sure if it’s happen to Jarome before and I don’t think that penalty lost the game for them but i do think they have a point. It was incendal friz grabbed his jersey which is completely fine, if that one last night is a penalty it’s pretty harsh. It’s one thing to deliberately grab someone’s hair but just grabbing their jersey and getting a bit of hair should just be play on.

The hit on cleary should’ve definitely been a penalty I was pretty shocked they allowed that.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
I agree with those saying Luai has been rubbish. In 7 games this year his biggest positive contribution is having flowing locks. In saying that I'll back him to turn it around. The left side has been pretty poor in general.
So our left side attack has been rubbish? Because he plays a major role in that.

Pomoz

Bench
Well that was a good result. Newcastle had us rattled and worked really hard. We nearly lost that game and I hope it fires the team up for the game against South's. A couple of points:

- I can't agree with Martie that we were dominated in the forwards. I think the policing of the ruck made all the difference. We just have to accept that refs will allow other teams to lay on us and slow down the ruck. It is a trend this season as refs subconsciously try and even the game out. Consider this, the Knights play the ball speed was 2.96 seconds, the Panthers was 3.68. Yet our average set distance was 44m vs 35m. How can that be? We are dominating the go forward but can't play the ball more quickly or at least equal to the Knights? The result of laying in the ruck was to stymy our attack and turn it into turgid, coagulated shit on a stick. We just couldn't adjust to it.

- Luai is in dreadful form. He is just out of sorts and trying too hard. That said the Knights gave him no space with their rushing defence and laying in the ruck. He just has to work through this.

- Crichton just doesn't have his head in the game this year. He has delivered one good performance so far. I don't know where he get's off running for 59m when he is built like Tarzan. Turuva is as big as one of Crichton's legs and yet he happily delivers nearly three times as many metres. Every week. He is being very lazy and I would consider dropping him to NSW cup if he does the same against South's. Stephen, wake up you are not in the Dogs team yet.

- Spencer. Letting him go is a terrible decision. Nuff said. He won't die wondering and made all the difference when he was on. If only Crichton had his willingness to get involved in the game. Robinson would have been smiling watching his performance. Sigh.......

- Yeo delivered 47 tackles for no misses, 147m. Admittedly, he threw a few clunky passes, but even so, his performance was incredible.

- Luke had a reality check on being a first grader. He made a number of errors as the Knights put pressure on the ruck. We just have to accept he is still learning and let him develop his game. He needs to know when less is more and not try and push the pass.

- Kenny took 11 hit ups and 1 run for 118m. The man is nails hard and works his butt off. 52 tackles as well. We are lucky to have such a committed team player. He might not be Api in attack, but he gives us plenty of go forward and solidity in defence so others can shine.

I'll end on a positive note and say that Edwards, Tago, Turuva, Leota and Cleary all played well in a tough day at the office. Edwards is really starting to figure in the conversation in top five fullbacks. He has got better again this year.