What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 7 v Knights

kinghippo

Juniors
He
Probably lost in the shuffle of doom and gloom but Sorensen’s effort to chase and bat back that 20m line drop out after Miller missed the penalty goal was an amazing effort.

I know he probably should’ve scored that try on half time but I reckon he’s in career best form.
He was busted for a lot of the game, had some ankle issues i think. He was down In back play 3 or four times but shook it off and turned up when he was needed.

age.s

First Grade
Exactly. Their incompetent kicker kept us within striking distance.
I never understand when shit goalkicking is used as a get out of jail free card for a team. It's one of the most crucial skills in the game, as it wins you games you would have otherwise lost. If you don't have a good one it's a big hole in your roster, just like having a weak forward pack or wingers would be. If a good one performs poorly then it suggests that not enough time is being devoted to it off the park, like poor fitness or ill discipline would.

Its like saying, "we would have won that close game if our team was a bit better."

WestyLife

First Grade
I never understand when shit goalkicking is used as a get out of jail free card for a team. It's one of the most crucial skills in the game, as it wins you games you would have otherwise lost. If you don't have a good one it's a big hole in your roster, just like having a weak forward pack or wingers would be. If a good one performs poorly then it suggests that not enough time is being devoted to it off the park, like poor fitness or ill discipline would.

Its like saying, "we would have won that close game if our team was a bit better."

Sharks missed the finals a few years ago on goal kicking. It's so crucial you'd think every team would be making it a priority.

Iamback

Coach
Turuva has been excellent, while Hoskings has forced his way into a starting position. Spencer has been very impactful off the bench as must be in a conversation for Origin.

Turuva has barely made mistakes but isn't getting any ball, Not all his doing but wingers are supposed to score tries. Like the rest of the team he is doing defence right.

Hosking has been good but is off a smaller sample size, If he is still in the side come mid season. He will certainly be up a 7 or 8 out of 10.

Spencer is one that is close to 2022 form. Still not getting much more gametime then last year, He is certainly in the can find another gear or 2.

I didn't have us getting anywhere near our best into after Magic round. Defence and grit will keep us in games for the next month or so still but plenty more to improve on

Iamback

Coach
I hate the bunker, and wish it was used FAR less.

However...

If they're going to double check every try before it's confirmed, surely they must do the same for every field goal.

The kicking team will always set up blockers which can drastically impact the defenders ability to put pressure on the kicker.

Whole the defensive team will stand offside and move early to place said pressure on the kicker.

And obviously there will inevitably be contact on the kicker (potentially late, high, dangerous or otherwise).

I'm positive that if FGs were cleared by the bunker, that would have turned into a 3pt FG situation, and we avoid Golden Point.

Deadset makes me feel dirty advocating for more bunker intervention.

I am fine with those situations of in a natural stop in play. I hate the ones that the bunker stops play.

Even when tries are called back the decision takes far longer than it should

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Turuva has barely made mistakes but isn't getting any ball, Not all his doing but wingers are supposed to score tries. Like the rest of the team he is doing defence right.

Hosking has been good but is off a smaller sample size, If he is still in the side come mid season. He will certainly be up a 7 or 8 out of 10.

Spencer is one that is close to 2022 form. Still not getting much more gametime then last year, He is certainly in the can find another gear or 2.

I didn't have us getting anywhere near our best into after Magic round. Defence and grit will keep us in games for the next month or so still but plenty more to improve on
Yeah Turuva has done some damn fine grunt work but thats not why he was picked. We are wasting him.

I know people don't like to bag out Tago but he has been a hog lately. Atleast 5 chances have gone begging due to hogging it. Tago passes them and the left side looks much better.

Though passes to the left just aren't hitting the mark we are talking even from Yeo and Cleary
Tago has been playing well and has a wonderful future. However, if he keeps up with leaving Turuva high and dry, it won’t be long until he is gets labelled with the “Franze” status.

martielang

Bench
No one saying Cleary isn't a gun or won't improve but if Luai was playing 7 and we had 40-odd tackles in their 20 without a result, there'd be many on here going after him. Cleary seems to be pretty robotic with his decision-making at the moment. I think that impacts Luai as the predictability enables the opposition's centre/winger to jam him every time he gets a sniff. Granted he's been well below par as well.

Iamback

Coach
No one saying Cleary isn't a gun or won't improve but if Luai was playing 7 and we had 40-odd tackles in their 20 without a result, there'd be many on here going after him. Cleary seems to be pretty robotic with his decision-making at the moment. I think that impacts Luai as the predictability enables the opposition's centre/winger to jam him every time he gets a sniff. Granted he's been well below par as well.

That is how I see it too. As I said Edwards is the only one playing as his usual self. The wingers don’t get any ball because the halves have no space

Kilkenny

Coach
It certainly wasn’t a great performance on the weekend but we hung in there and it is to their credit we got the two points. The game was there for the taking after the Knights first half which was excellent, but they were no where near as good in the second half. Whether that was due to us lifting I’m not sure I’d have to watch a replay. Watching from the Panthers supporter bays not did provide great viewing for my 62 year old eyesight.

Im not sure what some on here expect, it was always going to be difficult moving on from the loss of Api and Kikau. i think we've done pretty well really, two one point losses despite which we have put ourselves in a decent position.

I think the biggest concern is going to be our depth, despite the NSW Cup side thrashing the Knights they were the bottom placed side and overall I think we have been slightly disappointing. Lindsay Smith will continue to improve and he has a future in the top grade but some of the other kids are yet to really demonstrate they are NRL quality. Might still be a year or two away.

Just on Sunia Turuva I thought he was brilliant on the weekend the Knights kicked to his side all game and most if not all Hastings bombs / kicks were difficult in swirling conditions. He took them all, under pressure. Just brilliant.

soc123_au

Staff member
Just on Sunia Turuva I thought he was brilliant on the weekend the Knights kicked to his side all game and most if not all Hastings bombs / kicks were difficult in swirling conditions. He took them all, under pressure. Just brilliant.
He has been great all year fielding kicks. Considering how much he has been targeted he has barely put a foot wrong. We seem to have a knack of bringing in rookie outside backs and they play like veterans. I can't wait until we get him some good ball so he can show off what he is capable of.

Munky

Coach
He has been great all year fielding kicks. Considering how much he has been targeted he has barely put a foot wrong. We seem to have a knack of bringing in rookie outside backs and they play like veterans. I can't wait until we get him some good ball so he can show off what he is capable of.

Looking at the heat map of PTBs To'o is catching a cold coming out of our end.

Now that Turuva is not coming in with poor reads and defending well I'd be looking to swap wings to see if he can handle the right wing.

Kilkenny

Coach
Looking at the heat map of PTBs To'o is catching a cold coming out of our end.

Now that Turuva is not coming in with poor reads and defending well I'd be looking to swap wings to see if he can handle the right wing.
Not much To’o can do. The Knights had a game plan to kick to Turuva’s side and he answered every challenge. In that second period all Hastings bombs came directly towards our Panther bay and Turuva took every one with aplomb. Not only did he catch them under pressure, he was still able to bring the ball back 10-15 metres.

Not much To’o can do. The Knights had a game plan to kick to Turuva’s side and he answered every challenge. In that second period all Hastings bombs came directly towards our Panther bay and Turuva took every one with aplomb. Not only did he catch them under pressure, he was still able to bring the ball back 10-15 metres.
And while he doesn’t seem to have the guile to shimmy through the line, Turuva hits the defenders with such pace that he inevitably wins the contact and gets a quick play the ball.

I think he has been excellent. Would love to see Tago pass the ball to him more often.