What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 7 V Roosters

Lindsay Moss

Juniors
Agree with what you are saying , but when will they be ready for Hook ? If they keep on winning then we will not see them at all ( it wont happen anyway ) At the moment its all about Hook , Its not about developing the young guns ...... So if they win one game here and there will he make changes ? If they lose a couple of games on the trot will he make changes ? I don't think so ...... Id rather have Sloan , Amone , Sullivan playing to be ready for next year if they don't get much time this year we are back to square one ....... Mybe is a make shift Fullback , Bird is a stop gap 6 , not the future of the team ..... Anyway thats my take on all of this ......
Agree with what you are saying , but when will they be ready for Hook ? If they keep on winning then we will not see them at all ( it wont happen anyway ) At the moment its all about Hook , Its not about developing the young guns ...... So if they win one game here and there will he make changes ? If they lose a couple of games on the trot will he make changes ? I don't think so ...... Id rather have Sloan , Amone , Sullivan playing to be ready for next year if they don't get much time this year we are back to square one ....... Mybe is a make shift Fullback , Bird is a stop gap 6 , not the future of the team ..... Anyway thats my take on all of this ......
It's only all about hook (your words) because of the posts on this site. Sullivan has played two games this year because of injury let him get match fit first before throwing him to the wolves as i think he might be the key to the other two.

Lindsay Moss

Juniors
I agree that Hook is very conservative in this selections and wants to protect the young ones but what keeps coming back to me is , how is that working after 2 wins in the last 15 games ? After the rorters there is no real excuse to ignore at least Sullivan included and perhaps shake things up with Hunt to plug our weakest link at 9 and giving Sloan some opportunities. We also have most of our forwards back so competition will only improve our pack.
Two wins in the last 15 the kids were in at least half of those games maybe they do need just a little more time.

justadragon

Bench
It's only all about hook (your words) because of the posts on this site. Sullivan has played two games this year because of injury let him get match fit first before throwing him to the wolves as i think he might be the key to the other two.
to be fair I have posted many times that sullivan needs to gain more match fittness and his time will certainly and should be on the horizon. I like all the other members wouldnt disagree that Hook knows best, what we are questioning is the results that continue to happen and the player selections that he continues to have. I dont need to remind you of the constant selection of Mr Norman last year, and the obvious faults within our team that currently exist. I like yourself am eagerly awaiting these changes.

However, we won the last game and Hook won't change a winning team
He is loathe to change a loosing one too. I see we have the same spine for the Rooster's game. Even tho we lifted last week, the Chooks are a different level to the Knights. Griffin needs to watch how their clever halves Walker and Keary will tear us to shreds and weep.

Kerr might not be included and Woods likely to come in.
Both have poor figures. But Woods has been a Kangaroo. Only the best are given that honor. Griffin needs to pick and stick with players outside of the current spine which is our achilles heel. Let them work themselves into some form and not feel they are playing for their places every game. Then we will see the best from Woods, Lawrie and others.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
A "stiffened spine", far from being a positive, can also be a symptom of Arthritis and old age-slow reflexes and reactions, lack of flexibility and speed etc- we have a few players who fit that description- one or two currently in the spine.

SBD82

Coach
Fastest way for me to disregard a fan team list is to go straight to the Number 7 and see who's name is there. If it's not Hunt I know I don't need to read the rest of it. Insanity
Generally agree with your posts mate. But not this one.

Our issues start at 9. McCullough’s service is so poor that our forwards have no confidence hitting the ball at pace, and we are unable to play with width on the right side. Defences never need to condense because his running isn’t a threat, and we are regularly split through the A and B defenders.

Hunt solves all of these problems immediately with a shift to 9, and he can still control the team, bring his kicking game, and use his trick shots.

If we had someone else ready to play 9 I could understand your point of view, but we simply don’t. For the balance of the team it’s the best move, and the sooner the better.

Dragon David

First Grade
A "stiffened spine", far from being a positive, can also be a symptom of Arthritis and old age-slow reflexes and reactions, lack of flexibility and speed etc- we have a few players who fit that description- one or two currently in the spine.
"Stiffened spine"! Who said this? Me with the arthritic fingers and wonky hips and clogged up lungs and hardly a spring in my step. I must have been dreaming that I was part of the spine but it was my spine I was thinking of - it needs strengthening up just as the Dragons need together with much speed in the 1, 6,7 and 9 positions.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors

Our issues start at 9. McCullough’s service is so poor that our forwards have no confidence hitting the ball at pace, and we are unable to play with width on the right side. Defences never need to condense because his running isn’t a threat, and we are regularly split through the A and B defenders.

Hunt solves all of these problems immediately with a shift to 9, and he can still control the team, bring his kicking game, and use his trick shots.

If we had someone else ready to play 9 I could understand your point of view, but we simply don’t. For the balance of the team it’s the best move, and the sooner the better.
A good analysis but I see a problem-despite the odd 40-20, Hunt's kicking game is flawed in two crucial areas- Firstly, he takes time to wind up for his longer kicks- and sometimes gets charged down as a result-and secondly, his short kicking game is inaccurate and frequently fails to get past opposition legs and make the in goal. Being that much closer to the opposition line at hooker will simply put even more pressure on that part of his game.

SBD82

Coach
A good analysis but I see a problem-despite the odd 40-20, Hunt's kicking game is flawed in two crucial areas- Firstly, he takes time to wind up for his longer kicks- and sometimes gets charged down as a result-and secondly, his short kicking game is inaccurate and frequently fails to get past opposition legs and make the in goal. Being that much closer to the opposition line at hooker will simply put even more pressure on that part of his game.
It’s not an unknown though. He has kicked for QLD in the past and done the job.

I tend to think he makes better decisions with less time. A couple of his kicks on the weekend were shanked because he second guessed himself.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
"Stiffened spine"! Who said this? Me with the arthritic fingers and wonky hips and clogged up lungs and hardly a spring in my step. I must have been dreaming that I was part of the spine but it was my spine I was thinking of - it needs strengthening up just as the Dragons need together with much speed in the 1, 6,7 and 9 positions.
You and me both DD- know where I can get a bargain for Arbor Vitae?

Dragon David

First Grade
You and me both DD- know where I can get a bargain for Arbor Vitae?
It is an expensive product I can see redandwhite4evr. Looks the goods though so if I can jag a good lotto win I might buy some. I'm spending quite a lot on these so called "aids" but nowhere near the price the chemists are selling arborvitae for. I guess if you want the best you have got to spend big - just what the Dragons need to do.

mickeylane

Bench
He is loathe to change a loosing one too. I see we have the same spine for the Rooster's game. Even tho we lifted last week, the Chooks are a different level to the Knights. Griffin needs to watch how their clever halves Walker and Keary will tear us to shreds and weep.
if we are ever going to beat the Roosters its this week, theyre very clunky in attack...their defence is also a bit all over the shop..

mickeylane

Bench

Hunt is the incumbent Australian Hooker and also the MOM in the last SOO 3 playing Hooker - 2 high intensity matches playing at the highest level and excelling in a position ...this tells me something about him and the hooking poistion. #Movehimnow

Dragon David

First Grade
Hunt is the incumbent Australian Hooker and also the MOM in the last SOO 3 playing Hooker - 2 high intensity matches playing at the highest level and excelling in a position ...this tells me something about him and the hooking poistion. #Movehimnow
It irks me that we see Hunt as the better option as the hooker in the team when we have a coach who just isn't going to put him in that position. I know the game between the Eels and the Tigers could have gone either way on Monday but it was good to see that Madge swapped Luke Brooks and Jackson Hastings around. Why doesn't Hook think like that?

Surely it will happen once Sullivan is fitter so that he can be paired with Amone in the halves, bring Sloan in at fullback, Hunt in at hooker, Mbye bench and Bird in the second row? Easy peasy I say!

Illusion

Bench
It irks me that we see Hunt as the better option as the hooker in the team when we have a coach who just isn't going to put him in that position. I know the game between the Eels and the Tigers could have gone either way on Monday but it was good to see that Madge swapped Luke Brooks and Jackson Hastings around. Why doesn't Hook think like that?

Surely it will happen once Sullivan is fitter so that he can be paired with Amone in the halves, bring Sloan in at fullback, Hunt in at hooker, Mbye bench and Bird in the second row? Easy peasy I say!
Way its going and getting to know Hook a bit better now, if no injuries Won't happen ......

Jeremy Dragon

Juniors
Not the same Brooke's was playing shit and Hastings was returning from suspension

True_Believer

Juniors
It's not like Madge made that decision after 2 games. He persisted with Brooks all last season and the first 5 games this season in his usual position. So you can't say that Madge is thinking any different to Hook. His hand was forced because the board ultimately gave him a "times up" call.

Additionally you'd be mad to have 3 players who have all played a handful of games in the NRL each in 3 key positions in the spine. You are just asking for trouble this early in the season.

Latest posts