What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 7 vs Newcastle Team List Thread

TheParraboy

Staff member
I will tell you'se all why we will lose this game

No1. The high of Easter Monday, we will drop a lot of intensity

2. Bogey team the Knights in Newcastle

3. Knights will be more pumped (combo of 1 and 2 and 4)

4. Mitchel Pearce to dominate Mitchel Moses

5. They will do it for Nathan Brown

Knights 1-12

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Terepo is used in attacking structures. His passing game is crisp and he also has a nice short ball.
His charges are hard, he breaks tackles and ccan offload. Defense is solid also.

Alvaro may clock up more stat meters due to more charges. So what. Its just taking away a run from someone else. There both simmilar levels as far as NRL players but Terepo is far more skillfull

Alvaro and peni have different roles.

Alvaro takes the “charge” to get the sets “started” to try and make some room to attack in the following sets (obviously our wingers are also helping with this). “Got to go straight before going wide”. Alvaro is better then Peni doing this.

While Peni is better at taking it later in the set as he is quicker and has better foot work and is better able to take advantage of a “disrupted” defence line.

Both style of players are required.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
1. ALVARO was our best last year and one of the few who could be proud of his efforts. He's been down on form this year but seems to be improving. Was unlucky last week not to get another chance to improve.
2. MANU was also in the top 10 on that stats list although he is probably the player you let go if there's a choice between him and MARATA.
3. NROWN is not indispensable IMO.
4. MANNAH has been outstanding this year. His impact is likely also being felt off the field with the youngsters. I think one of the Broncos problems is the lack of leadership in their pack. They were wrong to let go of MCGUIRE.
5. I'm looking forward to seeing STEFANO at some stage during the year as it's obvious we are doing something right with our jnr forwards. STONE and KAUFUSI have been well coached by the looks.

Gazzamatta

Coach

Knights 1-12
Dont underestimate the Grant Atkins referee factor either. The guy is barely a rung above Perenara when controlling Eels games. Another "look at me referee. "

TheRam

Coach
Yeah I’ve noticed the 4th tackle settler still going without NBrown. It’s interesting, I was always under the impression it’s to go back in the middle and attempt to get a quick play the ball, to attack either side of the ruck on last. It’s very predictable thou, just a one out hit up. Frustrating

Teams should have very, very few "settler" runs. They should rarely happen unless the team has lost its way for some reason and is just trying to get back to some sort of cohesion. Settler runs are for the average to low quality teams. Teams should always be looking to advance the ball with actual enterprise play. It is all about stretching the defense and making them as uncomfortable as possible before you deliver the killer blow. Settler runs achieve the opposite to that and do nothing other then give both the defensive and offensive teams a breather, while boring the crap out of the fans.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Teams should have very, very few "settler" runs. They should rarely happen unless the team has lost its way for some reason and is just trying to get back to some sort of cohesion. Settler runs are for the average to low quality teams. Teams should always be looking to advance the ball with actual enterprise play. It is all about stretching the defense and making them as uncomfortable as possible before you deliver the killer blow. Settler runs achieve the opposite to that and do nothing other then give both the defensive and offensive teams a breather, while boring the crap out of the fans.

No they aren’t, all sides do “settlers”.

If you are attacking the tryline, it’s fairly difficult to just “stretch” the defence as they only normally only have to go back less then 10 metres.

Obviously if there is a play on, sides will normally attack - but if there is nothing on sides will mostly take a settler for a few reasons:

- sides normally like to attack from the middle of the field - it’s easier create an overlap on either side
- the settler is also trying to disrupt the defensive structure, by pulling in the wrong marker (that’s why they run sort of side wards) for the defending side (don’t just think sides use anyone at marker), thus creating an overlap to attack.
For example an edge forward may go into marker, leaving only 3 defending on the edge (winger, half, centre), and the defence may not be compressed enough, thus creating room to create an overlap.

Just don’t think all those “nothing” runs are just done for fun.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Settlers are typically used to reset attacking structures; if a winger is standing too deep/flat, or if a tight forward is too wide off the ruck, etc., a settler resets the structure, so that the game plan can be put back into effect.

The main reasons why the better teams use less settlers is simply because they are usually better coached, and have more experience; they all know what their roles are.

Poorer teams tend to use them more often for a variety of factors - lower confidence, lower effort being put in, poorer coaching, etc.

It's all very exciting.

Last edited:

TheRam

Coach
No they aren’t, all sides do “settlers”.

If you are attacking the tryline, it’s fairly difficult to just “stretch” the defence as they only normally only have to go back less then 10 metres.

Obviously if there is a play on, sides will normally attack - but if there is nothing on sides will mostly take a settler for a few reasons:

- sides normally like to attack from the middle of the field - it’s easier create an overlap on either side
- the settler is also trying to disrupt the defensive structure, by pulling in the wrong marker (that’s why they run sort of side wards) for the defending side (don’t just think sides use anyone at marker), thus creating an overlap to attack.
For example an edge forward may go into marker, leaving only 3 defending on the edge (winger, half, centre), and the defence may not be compressed enough, thus creating room to create an overlap.

Just don’t think all those “nothing” runs are just done for fun.

Yeah ok, I get that , but when I say there should be very few settler runs, it is because the average to bad teams take way to many unnecessary ones that do very little to help them win the game but actually hinder that endeavour. Generally you can tell a settler run for purpose as apposed to a settler due to lack of ability as a team.

Yeah ok, I get that , but when I say there should be very few settler runs, it is because the average to bad teams take way to many unnecessary ones that do very little to help them win the game but actually hinder that endeavour. Generally you can tell a settler run for purpose as apposed to a settler due to lack of ability as a team.
I wouldn't worry about it. Due to our obvious inability to score from within the opposition 20, we've decided to score the bulk of our trys from long range.

Bazal

Post Whore
Settlers are typically used to reset attacking structures; if a winger is standing too deep/flat, or if a right forward is too wide off the ruck, etc., a settler resets the structure, so that the game plan can be put back into effect.

The main reasons why the better teams use less settlers is simply because they are usually better coached, and have more experience; they all know what their roles are.

Poorer teams tend to use them more often for a variety of factors - lower confidence, lower effort being put in, poorer coaching, etc.

It's all very exciting.

I just realised part of this discussion is invisible to be, but anyway...

The other thing is not every hitup near the line is a "settler". A big run from a guy like Brown or Paulo who runs hard can and does draw in defenders and shorten the line, for eg.

Eelogical

Referee

Knights 1-12

1. That's BA's job as a coach to manage this and come up with a plan to off-set that.

2. Bogey teams are only bogeys of the mind, or in your nose.

3. Club in crisis.

4. MM > MP

5. Browny will be back from injury before you know it. It's not really a concern for the Knights.

Eels 1-12.

1. That's BA's job as a coach to manage this and come up with a plan to off-set that.

2. Bogey teams are only bogeys of the mind, or in your nose.

3. Club in crisis.

4. MM > MP

5. Browny will be back from injury before you know it. It's not really a concern for the Knights.

Eels 1-12.
Good stuff. Now you should convince him that we'll make the finals this year.