What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 8 vs. North Queensland Cowboys @Townsville

Iamback

Coach
What sort of logic is that? Bursting out to a 20 point lead wouldn't be a positive then? If you'd offered us a 6 point win this morning we'd have been mad not to have taken it.

Footy isn't played without context. The way the game went for us, particularly in that second half holding on the way we did under that amount of pressure in those conditions was extremely impressive. This wasn't the meme Cowboys either, they were well up for it in front of a big crowd.

If I had to find negatives:
We dropped way too much ball in the first half
Their second was a terrible read from Tago
We always seem to find a way to not score a field goal to kill games off

Outside of that it was an outstanding effort, one we'll take an enormous amount of strength from I'd think. Even other teams trolls were in here gloating about no team being able to win with 40% ball in Townsville humidity. Well, we did and the biggest complaint is it should have been more comfortable? But really no positives?

Fmd.

I prefer to look at how we got that lead.

Alamoti intercept right on half time

Martin scored because Valemi dropped a kick and came straight to Martin.

Cowboys don't hand us those 2 tries we lose, Despite what I agree was an amazing defensive effort.

now on to the back 30 mins of both halves actually

This was my main concern why we couldn't wrestle back momentum, Particularly if we aren't handed those 2 tries we had no answer.

As was the case 2 games ago v Manly and to a lesser extent last week early in the 2nd half

Fangs

Coach
I think they are worried about Edwards getting injured mid-game. I guess Tito could go to fullback and Peachey into the centre.

Never mind Turuva our second fullback.

I know the reasoning but can we keep copping only playing 16? It will catch up with us eventually.

Iamback

Coach
Their pack didn't own us. They had a mountain of position due to errors and penalties.

Yeo was our only forward to make 100m.

Nanai alone had more tackle breaks then our whole pack combined.

We lost penalties 6-4
And 6 agains 6-4
Errors were 13-10

So very even outside of forward impact

Chins get the wins

First Grade

We lost penalties 6-4
And 6 agains 6-4
Errors were 13-10

Same old story of Yeo and our wingers carrying the pack

Gist of it is: Turuva wasn’t in the headspace to play due to signing with Tigers and the contract negotiations weighing heavy on his mind. Back next week.

He probably felt like he backstabbed Panthers by signing else where and it’s hit him hard mentally. No one ever talks about how decisions to leave a club or getting let go by a club can affect someone’s mental health.

It affects most people in a normal day to day work place when they lose employment or move on - why wouldn’t it affect footy players too.

We lost penalties 6-4
And 6 agains 6-4
Errors were 13-10

I am surprised by the penalty and 6-again counts; it felt like it was lot more lopsided than that…

Kilkenny

Coach
So the only good thing you have to say from the game is we got the 2 points?
Not at all. Enormous performance against 60% possession and they enjoyed 65% of the game in our territory. The Cowboys got back within striking distance with a lot of time left on the clock and we withstood the momentum. Just enormous in my opinion but you are clearly not satisfied says more about you than me.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Gist of it is: Turuva wasn’t in the headspace to play due to signing with Tigers and the contract negotiations weighing heavy on his mind. Back next week.

He probably felt like he backstabbed Panthers by signing else where and it’s hit him hard mentally. No one ever talks about how decisions to leave a club or getting let go by a club can affect someone’s mental health.

It affects most people in a normal day to day work place when they lose employment or move on - why wouldn’t it affect footy players too.
Alamonti simply cant be dropped after tonight. Hopefully Turuva comes in for Tago

Fangs

Coach
I don’t understand that logic; why will it catch up with us?

Maybe it won't be a problem but I just think about the extra minutes.

Minutes tonight were as hard as it gets. Tough conditions and the Cowboys threw plenty at us.

Cleary's hamstring last year was probably related to it. WC, Origin and then the regular season.

Maybe it won't be a problem but I just think about the extra minutes.

Minutes tonight were as hard as it gets. Tough conditions and the Cowboys threw plenty at us.

Cleary's hamstring last year was probably related to it. WC, Origin and then the regular season.
Fair enough. I get taking minutes out of the legs.

Iamback

Coach
Alamonti simply cant be dropped after tonight. Hopefully Turuva comes in for Tago

I am happy for Tago to be in the 17, he is better than most players in the squad.

We didn't use Laurie. Maybe we go back to having a hooker in that place. With May/Tago playing Mav's role.

Atleast that would give some difference with the bench