What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd.2 v Eels

Iamback

Coach
As for nsw cup

Iongi was the standout. Had a great game
Mclean and deaon with both safe and solid
Peach and Alamonti were both really good and both looked dangerous
Trent is a real goer in the 6. I like him. Plays very direct and is a strong ball runner.
Schnieder was just ok.
Riki was quiet
Soni luke played the first 40 and was very good.. had one terrible pass but other than that was great. Scored a try. Set up one in a great solo effort.
Jordan grant had a belter. His first stint he was in everything
Mav and hassett did nothing. Mav isnt going to be close on these performances. He needs to be knocking the door down. Deadset looks like he is just going through the motions out there..
Price was pretty good solid no mistakes.

Lisati went ok when he got on. Hes put on a bit of size it looks like.
Sommo went well. Just got it done and directed the boys round no issues.

The biggest suprise pack was Patea and Apelu.

They were both extremley strong off the bench.. apelu i think it was had a lot of Spencer lenui about him. He was extremely damaging..

Good signs for cup.. no real bad performers. Riki would be better on and edge. And mav needs to fire up if he wants to make the nrl..

Still think casey mclean will force his way into this team by mid year.. can see peach being moved to bench to accommodate him.

I said Mav just goes through the motions. Got told I don't watch him enough, glad I am not just seeing things.

Luron is a beast, played Ball last year so is likely 2 years from NRL but would offer plenty off the bench

Girds89

Bench
I said Mav just goes through the motions. Got told I don't watch him enough, glad I am not just seeing things.

Luron is a beast, played Ball last year so is likely 2 years from NRL but would offer plenty off the bench

Yep he was super impressive. Very hard to handle.

Mav other than the flegg gf has never really taken a game by the scruff off the neck. People just expect him to transition to nrl haha.

Look at every player thats come up over the last few years.

Turuva was not only beast mode every week in cup he was close to the best in the whole comp.

Tago and may whilst they were in cup absolutely dominated almost every week.

Lindsay Smith was a standout week in week out.

Henrys just come up but his numbers last year speak for themselves.

I get mav plays big mins. Regularly 80. But his involvement level is low at best. His hit ups lack punch. Id rather riki at 2md row off the bench in nrl atm tbh.

The only thing that im holding out hope on is thst if he does get a 15 or 20min stint off the bench in nrl he will have more energy to be explosive. But at the moment he runs about half as hard as sorro and marto who also play huge mins and go hard all game.

Like, luke garner is well well ahead of him.

It really is a make or break year for him i think

Fangs

Coach
Was a good win. Some ugly moments in defence but much better than 0 points the week before.

We need plenty of opportunities against the Broncos. They will score at least 2-3. I expect we will rise to the occasion as its a big re-match.

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach
Yep he was super impressive. Very hard to handle.

Mav other than the flegg gf has never really taken a game by the scruff off the neck. People just expect him to transition to nrl haha.

Look at every player thats come up over the last few years.

Turuva was not only beast mode every week in cup he was close to the best in the whole comp.

Tago and may whilst they were in cup absolutely dominated almost every week.

Lindsay Smith was a standout week in week out.

Henrys just come up but his numbers last year speak for themselves.

I get mav plays big mins. Regularly 80. But his involvement level is low at best. His hit ups lack punch. Id rather riki at 2md row off the bench in nrl atm tbh.

The only thing that im holding out hope on is thst if he does get a 15 or 20min stint off the bench in nrl he will have more energy to be explosive. But at the moment he runs about half as hard as sorro and marto who also play huge mins and go hard all game.

Like, luke garner is well well ahead of him.

It really is a make or break year for him i think

He played Aust Schoolboys in Rugby so is capable of longer minutes.

As for Mav that is it, He is locked into a single position and playing 80 mins, That will help

I agree with make or break yeah both NRL
centres are capable of playing on an edge IF Casey McLean is ready.

Mav's aim should be to make that harder by becoming a must pick

Michael Matral

Juniors
At halftime I thought Parra may corm back and get them. I'm unsure the scoreline reflected the game I saw.
Penrith butchered a few tries.38-18 is probably more what I saw.
Fair enough..I thought the Eels hung pretty tough but Moses and Carty were off their games and Joffa was monstered. All in all a much better quality match than Broncos Rabbits dropfest

kinghippo

Juniors
I just watched the BA press conference where he was complaining about Yeo being downtown on Edward’s try. Downtown is if you are in front of the ptb. Only trouble - Yeo played the ball so couldn’t be downtown!
Of all the things to complain about he chose the most non event of the game, looked liked a fool.

Iamback

Coach
Was a good win. Some ugly moments in defence but much better than 9 points the week before.

We need plenty of opportunities against the Broncos. They will score at least 2-3. I expect we will rise to the occasion as its a big re-match.

If we attack with that variety, no team is coming close to us.

Our defence will tighten up as we get into the year

I've just arrived home on the south coast after going to watch the Panthers do enough to win the battle of the West this time.

Watching the replay (the first of many times this week) and I noticed that at 13 min and 35 sec to go in the first half a little attempted trip by RCG on Sunia Turuva. Nothing in the match report probably because of no contact.

I have however noticed Parra now has a third on field ref in Lussick, man, he is worse than Gutho and Moses combined.

When the Panthers get rid of the ring rust, and the new guys get more match time, look out.

I just watched the BA press conference where he was complaining about Yeo being downtown on Edward’s try. Downtown is if you are in front of the ptb. Only trouble - Yeo played the ball so couldn’t be downtown!
Maybe he should complain about his own coaching.
How many times do teams get burnt having 4 forwards on the bench.
Utility players are just that, to play many positions not expect a second rower to do a good job against one of the best centres in the game.

Tago was rocks and diamonds last night but made Parra's left side look ordinary, but then again, after watching reserve grade, Parra has zero quality depth and will probably just be a nuisance side to the top teams again this year.

chrisD

Coach
First half goal line defence ducking putrid. Not how you win premierships. I’ll just write it off as a one off.

Defence everywhere else good to excellent. Obviously put a priority on stopping offloads and did ok, they got a few away but they’re good at it and had to work for them, a pass mark there. They got down our left a few times on the far side from where I was sitting, but a bit of that is inevitable when you defend in the middle with numbers and enthusiasm like we do and the opposition can execute some decent passes. Plus we have a new centre there. We recovered well and that’s as much as you can ask for. Our intensity was up and we gave them the old strangle.

Attack basically brilliant, if we didn’t bomb a few put downs and easy passes we’d have put on 50.

I really want Garner to succeed and nail down that edge spot so we can move Sorro into the middle but the guy just refuses to play hard. His pillow hits and hit ups frustrate the shit out of me when the backs around him are so eager to put their body on the line for the team.

Some uncharacteristic poor discipline, particular nonsense from Luai.

The Realist

Juniors
Mostly a good game from us. The negatives have been well mentioned in here.

What stuck out for me was;

1. What is up with our outside backs slipping and sliding and generally fumbling around? Last week it was May who needed longer studs. This week it was Turuva and to an extent Tago.

2. Marto was great in attack, quick, powerful, agile and in good positions....but he honestly threw 3 absolute hospital passes on the break. Needs to get that right and I am sure as the season progresses he'd sort it out.

3. Hard to get a true assessment of Tago. When getting on the outside of his man he looked a million $$$ but it was obvious that Eel's edge was disorganised and generally not very good. Also Tago's hands were inconsistent. A few fumbles, a few bad passes and there was also a try he stuffed up by not drawing and passing against Gutherson properly. Got to work on that, and ike the Marto comment, I think time will fix the issue.

Mostly a good game from us. The negatives have been well mentioned in here.

What stuck out for me was;

1. What is up with our outside backs slipping and sliding and generally fumbling around? Last week it was May who needed longer studs. This week it was Turuva and to an extent Tago.

2. Marto was great in attack, quick, powerful, agile and in good positions....but he honestly threw 3 absolute hospital passes on the break. Needs to get that right and I am sure as the season progresses he'd sort it out.

3. Hard to get a true assessment of Tago. When getting on the outside of his man he looked a million $$$ but it was obvious that Eel's edge was disorganised and generally not very good. Also Tago's hands were inconsistent. A few fumbles, a few bad passes and there was also a try he stuffed up by not drawing and passing against Gutherson properly. Got to work on that, and ike the Marto comment, I think time will fix the issue.
Our centres ability to draw the fullback and position their winger has been poor for a number of years.

Munky

Coach
Our centres ability to draw the fullback and position their winger has been poor for a number of years.

It's somewhat mind boggling that the three time straight premiers look clueless defending short restarts and have wingers who struggle to get the ball down cleanly for tries.

WestyLife

First Grade
It's somewhat mind boggling that the three time straight premiers look clueless defending short restarts and have wingers who struggle to get the ball down cleanly for tries.

There's always improvement no matter how good you are. Striving for that is how the best become the best and stay there. It's also why I find the defence of "don't criticise anything because the club has had success" a bit silly. No chance ivan, the players or anyone at the club is resting on their laurels so to speak.