What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd.2 v Eels

soc123_au

Staff member
Oh and Taylan may is a f**king beast. He was tackling both Eels front rowers anf stopping thrm in their tracks. Dude is so f**king strong. He one on one dropped Paulo ffs.
He wants a ring bad. For a bloke coming off an ACL injury he has been unbelievable. A month or two under his belt and he could be anything. Different to Critta, but can still leave his own mark.

PennyPanthers81

Juniors
How did I forget to mention my favourite player? Leota's performance was awesome, so good to see him bounce back from some awful form in the first two games of the season. That footwork he put on for the try, then outrunning Gutho- but let's be honest, Gutho as good as he is isn't putting down our freight train one on one when he's at full pelt.

Iamback

Coach
Some random thoughts from me:
- I loved the way we absolutely went after their makeshift left edge after Simonsen went off. Lots of clean, early ball to Tago was beautiful to see

- Really liked the look of Liam Henry tonight. He played a little wider than a traditional prop, mostly running off a half or Yeo, and angling back behind the ruck. Seemed to run a long way before contact on every touch.

- Our completions look poor from a statistical perspective, but a lot of our dropped ball came in the process of making a break or potentially scoring points. So while we handed over a lot of ball, it was normally at the right end of the field.

- Absolutely hated seeing Edwards put his hand on Cartwright's face when he wouldn't release the ball. Just an ugly, unnecessary, dumb thing to do. No damage done thankfully, and Carty did get him with a bit of a get square a few minutes later. But I just hate it.

- Really liked how we nullified the potential to concede any downtown offside penalties. Cleary was kicking past the advantage line all night long, which eliminates the penalty completely. Very clever.

- Thought the Eels scrambled in defence very well, just like the Storm did last week. The difference however is that we managed to convert more of those opportunities into points this week. Still room for improvement obviously, but the fact that we're creating so many half/quarter chances is a great sign. And everytime we bust through and get cut down, we learn from it, and do things a bit different the next time.

- Very interested to see what we do if Fisher-Harris is out for an extended period. Larry Smith has obviously plied his trade over the last 18months, but anyone who has seen Henry play lower grades knows that he's a starter. Might also force Sorenson back to the bench for some leg speed and spark in the middle, which in turn will probably bring Geyer onto the bench. Or maybe we just bring in the Huth to plod.

- Happy with the win overall, despite some minor defensive lapses in the first half. Bring on the Broncos next week.

Henry would be more effective as a starter. Depends if Ivan is going to play Eisenhuth because he is only a starter

Him standing wider caused confusion in defence at times too.

That Hopgood try was soft and I am sure when Ivan watches the game. He will make sure it doesn't happen again maybe he does that on the other side

hindy111

Post Whore
You are a bit duplicitous Hindy, over on the Eels forum..you said Parra would win by 12..

At halftime I thought Parra may corm back and get them. I'm unsure the scoreline reflected the game I saw.
Penrith butchered a few tries.38-18 is probably more what I saw.

Panther Pete

Juniors
The highlight for me was Moses try stepping two players then outrunning Gutho to score. Lows were Luai‘s performance in the first half (but to be fair he did look sharp in the second half) and the amount of tries we bombed. After our efforts in England and last week against the Storm I thought we were going to start the season 0/5 but watching last nights game I am a bit more confident if we just control the ball.

hindy111

Post Whore
Oh and Taylan may is a f**king beast. He was tackling both Eels front rowers anf stopping thrm in their tracks. Dude is so f**king strong. He one on one dropped Paulo ffs.

I remember a few weeks back people saying it will take him a while to get going. I made the point how plenty of guys come back now from ACLs just as good immediately. Looks like May is one of them.
I watched NSW cup. J.Mclean is a big kid. Seemed a bit kick happy however but I can see him taking Turuvas spot.
Longi was my pick however. Looks good. What's the deal with him?

kinghippo

Juniors
The footage of Fish getting taken out by Moses was doing the rounds last night.
It happened near the Edwards try.
Moses hit Fish whilst his back was turned and looking towards the play, he stayed on the ground clutching his arm before getting up an playing on for a few more minutes.

murraymob

Coach
The eels forum is in meltdown sack the coach kill the coach .The heat is on he could be the first coach to go this year

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Just watched the replay. Here are a few thoughts.
-Lindsay smith was excellent. His best game for the club. I didn’t notice him as much live, but he had a great game.
-Liam Henry - Building nicely.
-Nathan was great, he found plenty of space.
-Discipline and completions were appalling.

Happy with a W, but big improvements needed in a short turn around.

BxTom

Bench
I note that Klein gave Parra 5 6 agains whilst they were in our quarter. Not unexpected behaviour...

betcats

Referee
Yeah Lindsay was good and I like what I see from Henry, at 22 already super fit and able to play good minutes without dropping off the pace. I get the impact argument but unless we have someone banging down the door we need keep developing Henry and Lindsay, both will berock solid first grade props but they need the games, remember how long it took for Moses even fish and Yeo to develop into their best? Literally years of first grade.

Munky

Coach
Only saw glimpses of the first half since I was out for beers.

It turns out those tries conceded actually happened? I thought my brain was processing things wrong. Weakest defence since the Tigers game in 2021.

Yeo can do anything. He is superhuman. How the f**k did he kick that try assist?

Yeo has been the best player in the NRL since the start of the 2020 season. SoS should be paying him fifty percent of his contract at the Dolphins since Yeo carried him in 2022 and made him look a competent first grader.

Girds89

Bench
As for nsw cup

Iongi was the standout. Had a great game
Mclean and deaon with both safe and solid
Peach and Alamonti were both really good and both looked dangerous
Trent is a real goer in the 6. I like him. Plays very direct and is a strong ball runner.
Schnieder was just ok.
Riki was quiet
Soni luke played the first 40 and was very good.. had one terrible pass but other than that was great. Scored a try. Set up one in a great solo effort.
Jordan grant had a belter. His first stint he was in everything
Mav and hassett did nothing. Mav isnt going to be close on these performances. He needs to be knocking the door down. Deadset looks like he is just going through the motions out there..
Price was pretty good solid no mistakes.

Lisati went ok when he got on. Hes put on a bit of size it looks like.
Sommo went well. Just got it done and directed the boys round no issues.

The biggest suprise pack was Patea and Apelu.

They were both extremley strong off the bench.. apelu i think it was had a lot of Spencer lenui about him. He was extremely damaging..

Good signs for cup.. no real bad performers. Riki would be better on and edge. And mav needs to fire up if he wants to make the nrl..

Still think casey mclean will force his way into this team by mid year.. can see peach being moved to bench to accommodate him.

Girds89

Bench
As for the nrl-

Edwards is a beast. What more can you say bout this bloke. Going to go down as one of the greatest panthers of all time imo. Up there with the brandys and gowers and yeos clearys etc.

Too and turuva were just brilliant the carries they take and energy bringing the ball back is soo good.

Man we need to keep tago and tiny with this whole year. 12 months of these boys together fit and healthy in fg and we and they could be anything. Dont think anyone couldve predicted how well may would return from his acl. He is a beast. Tago looks like hes still finding some fitness. Hes obviously not one of the fitter lads. Ivan joked ij the presser that that was probably the most running tago has ever done haha. He looked tired by the end. Hopefully he can buikd up that endurance as the season goes on.

Fudge me luai gave away some penalties and set restarts. The blokes trying and he had some nice moments but hes struggling to find his best and be consistent atm. But theres small signs there and i like thay him and nath tried a few new things.

Nath was great.

How good was leotas try hahahah. His reaction was priceless.

Kenny was close to our best. He just belted them all night..

Really hope fish isnt serious.. we cant afford to lose him.

Sorro and marto were good. Just solid..niether reslly had thst many attacking chances.

Yeo was beast mode as per usual. His kick was unreal

Henry and Smith were great off the bench. Henry is building nicely. His defence was the standout. He really made an effort to wrap up there offloaders.. his attack will develop as he adjusts to the physicality of nrl. Id when big lindsay runs a bit wider of the ruck.

Garner was great when he came on. Really got involved.

Shame didnt see laurie but the game was never really in a position to bring him on.

As poor as luai has been in attack at times, hes still one of if not the best defensive 6s in the game. So we had to keep him out there in what was a tough physical battle.

Really happy to get the two points. Happy to see us offload a bit more and to see nath and luai trying a few new things.

We really should've won probably 40+. We bombed 3 certain tries. And about another 3 half chances.

age.s

First Grade
I note that Klein gave Parra 5 6 agains whilst they were in our quarter. Not unexpected behaviour...
I got over my "refs are out to get us" phase quite a few years back, but Klein always gives me pause for thought. Always seems to find very marginal indiscretions against us that he lets go from the opposition. Sutton has a bit of it too.